soooo what to do with the placenta???? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 09-29-2011, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

just looking for input...MW said it is my job to do what I will....so what will I do????

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#2 of 37 Old 09-29-2011, 02:17 PM

Hmm, well you could do what we did - put it in the freezer to plant under a tree when we got a chance.....aaaaand then you could occasionally mistake it for meatballs and pull it for supper.....which has been happening for........2.5 years now.....bag.gif

saritajoy likes this.

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#3 of 37 Old 09-29-2011, 02:34 PM

Well I thought about encapsulation, but it's a bit too expensive for me so I will be cutting it into chunks, freezing said chunks, then throwing a couple in a smoothie (with strawberries so I won't be able to see it) each day post-partum...I've been reassured that if you're only using two smallish chunks at a time and it's a good smoothie to begin with, you can't even taste it. I haven't seen any clinical research regarding effectiveness, but have seen a massive amount of anecdotal evidence that it really helps with pp bleeding/healing and hormonal wackiness. I figure even if it doesn't help much, it certainly can't hurt!

And when I say "I" will be chunking and freezing it, I of course mean DH or my doula (who is also my sister)...whoever can get through the process without barfing shy.gif

If you're not into ingestion, you could totally do the plant-it-under-a-tree thing...that's what I was going to do until I decided I'd be willing to try anything that could help make me less of a crazy person after birth.

Head over heels for DHjoy.gif bonus mama to super sweet DSS (10/9)superhero.gif and mama to DD (10/11)loveeyes.gif! nocirc.gif  sewmachine.gif  goorganic.jpg

#4 of 37 Old 09-29-2011, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katico View Post

Hmm, well you could do what we did - put it in the freezer to plant under a tree when we got a chance.....aaaaand then you could occasionally mistake it for meatballs and pull it for supper.....which has been happening for........2.5 years now.....bag.gif

that is too funny...def sounds like me!

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#5 of 37 Old 09-29-2011, 06:12 PM

smoothies all the way!!!!!!!

with ds 1 and 2 I planted them under a tree in the backyard.

w/ds3 I encapsulated bcs my ppd had gotten so bad

w/ dd1 and ds4 I did the smoothies. I wouldn't do it any other way. Amazing healing and energy comes from it!!!

My midwife prepares mine for me, sounds like yours won't but it is really really easy and not near as gross as you would think it might be.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#6 of 37 Old 09-29-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katico View Post

ROTFLMAO.gif
Ok, seriously...
I plan on the smoothie method.
Does anyone know of a way that I can convince my normally rather crunchy mother that i'm not nuts? She's a little freaked out by this one, and is terrified that i'm going to somehow poison myself. I probably shouldn't have gone as far as to tell her...but since she's going to be around for the birth, I thought I'd better give her a heads up...so she doesn't fall out of her chair when she sees what i'm about to do...

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#7 of 37 Old 09-29-2011, 07:08 PM

theboysmama- did you find a huge difference in benefit between encapsulated vs. smoothies?  I'm planning on encapsulating, and hoping it'll be a good choice.

#8 of 37 Old 09-29-2011, 07:39 PM

I did find differences and really favor smoothies vs encapsulation.
W encapsulation I didn't do it till about 7 wks. We had thrown the placenta in the freezer to bury it so luckily I had it. I got ppd and was really struggling. At 5 days pp my mw suggested encapsulation. The whole idea grossed me out. By 7 wks things were so bad I would have eaten dog crap if I thoughtit would help. I did the encapsulation myself and it was time consuming, taking several days. The smell while it was drying was awful. Within a few days of taking the pills I noticed results w my mood and energy level. Within a wk others were noting the change.
W the smoothie my mw prepared the placenta, my dad prepared the first wk of smoothies. Obviously that was the easier method for ME. I didn't tast it all, didn't have to deal w the smell, and got immediate results. Since I took it immediately I got may physical results as well as the emotional ones. My uterus was completely contacted and I had finished bleeding on day 5:joy lots of energy,etc.
I think it is great to consume it regardless which meted you use. I just need to simplify things in my life so the smoothy is the best choice.

As far as the placenta in the freezer, ds2s stayed there a long time and did get pulled out a few times before we finally buried it. I prefer using it for my pp healing though. PLUS I always get a new blender out of the deal bcs my dad just thinks I need one that wasn't used for THAT. Lol

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#9 of 37 Old 09-29-2011, 07:47 PM

Y placenta was going to be sent off with the midwives To get incinerated.
But I think an acquaintance is gonna take it to practice printing it.
After that? I dunno.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#10 of 37 Old 09-30-2011, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

I really love the idea of smoothies and health benifits....I know for a fact that dh will let out a small turd if I even mentiont...lol

my stomach flips a little thinking about cutting it up - smell, texture, human body part...eek

I am pretty certain that no one would be on board with it...so I would be flying solo for sure...

make me brave!!!!

saritajoy likes this.

#11 of 37 Old 09-30-2011, 07:23 AM

Saoirse- do u have a mw that could prep it for you? Mine does it for no extra charge.

#12 of 37 Old 09-30-2011, 08:53 AM

I don't think my midwife would prep mine if I paid her 1000 bucks.

#13 of 37 Old 09-30-2011, 08:55 AM

I was originally thinking of encapsulating (doing it ourselves), but I imagine it is kind of a labor-intensive process (no pun intended!).  So, I might take half and prepare to encapsulate, and the other half I'll make smoothies, or maybe I'll just make all of it into smoothies though.  I think www.placentabenefits.org has preparation recipes for encapsulation (steaming, baking, crushing, etc).

Definitely this is not something that I'm going around discussing IRL though!  DH is supportive though probably a little squeamish, but I don't really want to have this conversation with others- this is my decision!

Speaking of things our body makes during birth though... I came across some info about the benefits of breastmilk for cancer patients. Like placenta eating, there are no formal studies on it (and from a breastmilk perspective, we have such a shortage in milk banks that it has to go to preemies over cancer patients).  However, I read a bunch of articles, and mentioned it to my mom (who was just diagnosed with advance-stage breast cancer).  I kind of suggested it to her to see if she'd be interested in some breast milk (I would pump and store extra for her), and she was totally supportive and into it, and said, "oh good, now I won't have to panhandle for breastmilk!"  So, I know that is not totally related to placentas or anything, but just another reminder that our bodies are totally amazing and the things we make are hugely beneficial in many many ways (to our babies, and even ourselves and others)

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#14 of 37 Old 09-30-2011, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrabelle View Post

I don't think my midwife would prep mine if I paid her 1000 bucks.

yeahthat.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy May View Post

I was originally thinking of encapsulating (doing it ourselves), but I imagine it is kind of a labor-intensive process (no pun intended!).  So, I might take half and prepare to encapsulate, and the other half I'll make smoothies, or maybe I'll just make all of it into smoothies though.  I think www.placentabenefits.org has preparation recipes for encapsulation (steaming, baking, crushing, etc).

Definitely this is not something that I'm going around discussing IRL though!  DH is supportive though probably a little squeamish, but I don't really want to have this conversation with others- this is my decision!

Speaking of things our body makes during birth though... I came across some info about the benefits of breastmilk for cancer patients. Like placenta eating, there are no formal studies on it (and from a breastmilk perspective, we have such a shortage in milk banks that it has to go to preemies over cancer patients).  However, I read a bunch of articles, and mentioned it to my mom (who was just diagnosed with advance-stage breast cancer).  I kind of suggested it to her to see if she'd be interested in some breast milk (I would pump and store extra for her), and she was totally supportive and into it, and said, "oh good, now I won't have to panhandle for breastmilk!"  So, I know that is not totally related to placentas or anything, but just another reminder that our bodies are totally amazing and the things we make are hugely beneficial in many many ways (to our babies, and even ourselves and others)

WOW Amy, that is interesting and I am glad that your mom is cool with it! You are making me weepy...very sweet, I really hope that it helps - what a wonderful miraculous gift you both could shareluxlove.gif

#15 of 37 Old 09-30-2011, 11:55 AM

amy may- that is great! Hope that it helps and even if it doesn't it gives you the opportunity to do something to help out your mom.

I really can't believe your mw's wouldn't want to prep it. I have had 2 different mw's do it for no extra charge even. Mine were hb mw's and both fairly crunchy. I was the first for both of them and although they had never done it they just asked for instructions and gave it a shot. Now they highly recommend it to all of their clients and prepare it for any of them that want it done. 1 of the mw's even wrote a book "the natural healing power of the placenta".

#16 of 37 Old 09-30-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post

amy may- that is great! Hope that it helps and even if it doesn't it gives you the opportunity to do something to help out your mom.

I really can't believe your mw's wouldn't want to prep it. I have had 2 different mw's do it for no extra charge even. Mine were hb mw's and both fairly crunchy. I was the first for both of them and although they had never done it they just asked for instructions and gave it a shot. Now they highly recommend it to all of their clients and prepare it for any of them that want it done. 1 of the mw's even wrote a book "the natural healing power of the placenta".

My midwife is the least crunchy midwife that i've ever met. I think our regular family doctor might even be a little more granola.

I haven't even told her my plans for the placenta because i'm terrified of her response. (based on her response to other requests...lol)

#17 of 37 Old 09-30-2011, 03:42 PM

throw it out there and see, maybe you could be enlightening her a bit. My mw wishes everyone would do it bcs it makes her pp care sooo mcuh easier.

If she won't do it maybe it will have to go in the fridge for a day till you can get to it. It really isn't that bad, just like cutting up steak and if you rinse it really good not real bloody.

#18 of 37 Old 09-30-2011, 03:55 PM

I just literally finished encapsulating mine a couple of hours ago smile.gif The only part I didn't do was removing the membranes- the MW assistant did that. I did everything else and it was surprisingly easy, cheap, and fast to do.

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#19 of 37 Old 09-30-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFanatik View Post

I just literally finished encapsulating mine a couple of hours ago smile.gif The only part I didn't do was removing the membranes- the MW assistant did that. I did everything else and it was surprisingly easy, cheap, and fast to do.

Will you share how you did it?  I have a friend who is going to do mine and she is doing all sorts of research on it but it's always nice to hear how someone else does something.  

#20 of 37 Old 09-30-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayTaysMama View Post

Will you share how you did it?  I have a friend who is going to do mine and she is doing all sorts of research on it but it's always nice to hear how someone else does something.  

It was actually pretty simple. We did the raw method, so there was no steaming involved and we pureed it instead of slicing it.

Items needed- Blender, dehydrator (or stove), wax paper, capsules, encapsulation machine

1. Give birth wink1.gif
2. Remove membranes form placenta
3. Place full placenta into blender & puree until smooth
4. Cut wax paper to fit into dehydrator and spread the pureed placenta onto wax paper in thin layer (we had 3 sheets of wax paper)
5. Dehydrate until it's... well... dehydrated, lol.
6. Break placenta up into smaller pieces and put into the blender (hopefully you've cleaned it out :P)
7. Blend until it produces a fine powder (may be some bigger pieces, but that's okay).
8. If you want to add any herbs, do so at this point. I added some St John's Wort, nettles, & yellow burdock.
9. Set up the encapsulator machine & pills. Follow the directions on the paper.
10. Make awesome pills! <3

I got 192 pills doing it this way smile.gif

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#21 of 37 Old 09-30-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:

It was actually pretty simple. We did the raw method, so there was no steaming involved and we pureed it instead of slicing it.
Items needed- Blender, dehydrator (or stove), wax paper, capsules, encapsulation machine
1. Give birth wink1.gif
2. Remove membranes form placenta
3. Place full placenta into blender & puree until smooth
4. Cut wax paper to fit into dehydrator and spread the pureed placenta onto wax paper in thin layer (we had 3 sheets of wax paper)
5. Dehydrate until it's... well... dehydrated, lol.
6. Break placenta up into smaller pieces and put into the blender (hopefully you've cleaned it out :P)
7. Blend until it produces a fine powder (may be some bigger pieces, but that's okay).
8. If you want to add any herbs, do so at this point. I added some St John's Wort, nettles, & yellow burdock.
9. Set up the encapsulator machine & pills. Follow the directions on the paper.
10. Make awesome pills! <3
I got 192 pills doing it this way smile.gif

after doing this...would you have to encapsulate? Or coud you just, say...stir the powder into drinks etc?

#22 of 37 Old 09-30-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:

after doing this...would you have to encapsulate? Or coud you just, say...stir the powder into drinks etc?

Hmm. I don't know actually. I GUESS you could just put it in something and it'd get into your system faster than having to wait for the capsule to dissolve. But I imagine it wouldn't taste very good, lol.

You could always just eat the jerky. Slice it up into some strips and season it. Or even just puree it like I did and season that and then just break off pieces to eat as needed. eat.gif

#23 of 37 Old 09-30-2011, 09:45 PM

Thank you! Thank you!  thumb.gif

#24 of 37 Old 09-30-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:

Hmm. I don't know actually. I GUESS you could just put it in something and it'd get into your system faster than having to wait for the capsule to dissolve. But I imagine it wouldn't taste very good, lol.
You could always just eat the jerky. Slice it up into some strips and season it. Or even just puree it like I did and season that and then just break off pieces to eat as needed. eat.gif

Haha, i'm just thinking of a way to get around stuffing all those little pills...lol.

I'll probably do the raw smoothie method anyway, but just in case....
Did it smell funny while dehydrating?

#25 of 37 Old 09-30-2011, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The encapsulation idea is very interesting. I'm not sure I could do the smoothies. I think either would freak dh out.

I think I might bring it home to bury under a tree but I'm not sure what the hospital policy on bringing it home is. Haven't thought to ask up until now.

I didn't even try with ds because we were in a different country but I've always felt a little guilty about it.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#26 of 37 Old 10-01-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:

Haha, i'm just thinking of a way to get around stuffing all those little pills...lol.

I'll probably do the raw smoothie method anyway, but just in case....Did it smell funny while dehydrating? 

Lol. I'm totally lazy so that's why I bought the encapsulator. It dd 24 pills at once. I just set the open capsules in it, poured in the powder, wiped away the excess, and then pressed the top on. My MW was even like "I need one of those- that makes things 10x's easier!"

No funny smells to me.

#27 of 37 Old 10-01-2011, 08:05 AM

Haha, it was no problem getting them to bag up our placenta at our hospital - they were just really confused (and probably grossed out)....and then I've just let it sit in our freezer for 2 + years.....Sheepish.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

The encapsulation idea is very interesting. I'm not sure I could do the smoothies. I think either would freak dh out.
I think I might bring it home to bury under a tree but I'm not sure what the hospital policy on bringing it home is. Haven't thought to ask up until now.
I didn't even try with ds because we were in a different country but I've always felt a little guilty about it.

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#28 of 37 Old 10-01-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

They shouldn't give you any trouble about it... While it's not a typical thing that's done in a hospital scene, it is also your property (just like your baby), so you have every right to it. Hospitals just throw it out anyways... So it's not like they use it for something better... :) 

Morgan. Single mama to DS (10/27/11) fambedsingle1.gif bfinfant.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

www.facebook.com/gnomegrowncreations

#29 of 37 Old 10-01-2011, 03:50 PM

I'm burying mine under our Meyer lemon and orange trees in the back yard, in the hopes that they'll grow up big and strong and give us lots of citrus.  eat.gif

Loving wife to a wonderful and Godly man, hug.gif  and SAHM to two beautiful boys, DS1, natural hospital birth (2/2010) and DS2, beautiful homebirth (10/2011) cd.gifnursex2.gif

#30 of 37 Old 10-01-2011, 04:39 PM

Lurking. I figured I'd encapsulate them, even picked up a dehydrator on freecycle. Then I heard taht you don't actually taste it in teh smoothies... And that seems like way less work... So I'm gonna do that. :)

I think tree planting and making prints and stuff are cool ideas too. :)

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page