Chat Thread: 10/2-10/8 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 186 Old 10-09-2011, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Leiahs - Adorable!  I think I recognize the shirt in the bottom pic...a brand called "sweet peanut" or something like that?

Lifeguard - Your poor DS...my heart is breaking for him.  And your poor nipples!  I say get thee to a lactation consultant asap.  And heel sticks...oy!  DS ended up getting 3 heel sticks in his first 12 hours of life.  They did the regular check-to-see-what's-what heel stick, gave DH the vial and told him to take it to the lab in the hospital across the street from the birth center.  He takes it and they say something was wrong with it (maybe it coagulated or something...don't quite remember).  So he comes back, they stick DS again.  DH takes the vial across the street.  This time they say it's not enough blood.  DH comes back, nurse sticks DS again.  This time it's ok.  But, when DS goes to the ped the day after, it's "jaundice alert" time and he ended up getting a bunch more heel sticks over the next week.

Nova Scotia - Another NS lover here!  DH and I went and toured around the coast several years ago...one of my most fave vacations.  I love collecting rocks/stones/minerals and was in collector heaven.  And so many beautiful parks and trails.  And had some really yummy food, too.

Big bellies - When we went to the pumpkin place the other week I said I would take DS to the bathroom (often DH gets stuck doing it when we're all out n' about together).  Well, I didn't think about what it would be like to be in a little stall with DS, me and the huge belly.  The door latch wasn't closed all the way, so I think the door was part-way open while DS was on the potty cuz that was the only way we could all fit in there together.  When I went back to the bathroom a little later I discovered there were bigger stalls around the corner.  D'oh!

AFM - Moved the crib out of DS's room the other day.  Unfortunately, he's stuck sleeping on his new mattress on the floor because the bed we ordered came without hardware.  When I called the company they said something about the hardware being on backorder.  Huh?  How can screws and washers be on backorder?  They managed to find some in Chicago and we should get them by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Last night was "break the fast" for Yom Kippur, which was a little hard for me being as the traditional meal for many families, ours included, is bagels and various smoked/cured fish.  I haven't had lox in almost 9 months....and I miss it so much.  So, I ate just a bagel with cream cheese and some noodle kugel.  Good...but not the same greensad.gif.  I even checked online a week ago to see if maybe listeria is less of a concern in the third trimester.  Turns out this is the trimester of greatest risk.  Just have to make it a couple more weeks, though, and then I can have my lox and sushi and a hoagie and coffee (DH brought home some yummy Kona beans from HI for me)....can't wait!

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#182 of 186 Old 10-09-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_telling View Post

Last night was "break the fast" for Yom Kippur, which was a little hard for me being as the traditional meal for many families, ours included, is bagels and various smoked/cured fish.  I haven't had lox in almost 9 months....and I miss it so much.  So, I ate just a bagel with cream cheese and some noodle kugel.  Good...but not the same greensad.gif.  I even checked online a week ago to see if maybe listeria is less of a concern in the third trimester.  Turns out this is the trimester of greatest risk.  Just have to make it a couple more weeks, though, and then I can have my lox and sushi and a hoagie and coffee (DH brought home some yummy Kona beans from HI for me)....can't wait!

Haha!  I have already told DH that I am expecting sushi promptly upon my move to the antenatal floor.  And our favorite brewery just tapped their fall/holiday beers so guess where we're stopping promptly after discharge.  babies first beer run.  lol.

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#183 of 186 Old 10-09-2011, 02:55 PM

Lifeguard, Corbin's feet STILL haven't healed from all the hospital sticks and squeezes. Your poor baby. greensad.gif I feel for you guys.

AFM, I had three cats when DH and I got together. We gave one away after he peed all over everything my DH owned and ruined a couch. The second one jumped out a window and never came back. The third one was my only "good" cat, and the one my husband tolerated (he's not a cat person). Well, he didn't take the move well, and started a whole host of crazy behavior (yowling, scratching on stuff he's not supposed to, tripping me down the stairs, etc). He had even peed on the couch once which made me livid.

However, today was the last straw.

Last night, we realized he'd been peeing on the couch even MORE, and we were trying to figure out what to do. We woke up this morning to go to the store, and found Corbin's car seat SOAKED I'n urine. Harness straps, blankets, head support... Everything. Thomas, my cat of six years, will be finding a new home today. And I had to shell out $170 for an ugly carseat (I had ordered mine off the Internet and it isn't carried locally - I had to pick a pattern I didn't like so we could keep using our bases).

I really don't know how much more stress I can take at this point. I would love to come here and post happy baby stories, but those moments are few and far between.

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

#184 of 186 Old 10-09-2011, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I had written a long reply to everyone, and my dad asked if he could "check NASCAR" for a second on my computer, and he closed all my tabs and erased my response. demon.gif I wrote about getting dirt from PEI in a bucket once and how it spontaneously grew a potato, about Katico's sanitizing spooge experience, about poor babies with sore feet, siblings missing their moms, about tongue tie, and it is all lost.

Karli, why can't you just wash the car seat cover? Sorry that happened and that your cat committed its ultimate no-no.

I am jealous of those of you with your last days of work! I feel like cutting off my clients now, but I just don't know why I really should do that, when I'm probably going to be out of work all winter anyway...

Tomorrow I am full term. Joining the ranks of all of you!

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#185 of 186 Old 10-09-2011, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

heel pricks - we never had to go through this with ds so I will admit I was unprepared for what they meant by a heel prick to test bg. I just assumed it was similar to when I test my fingers for bg. So for those who haven't had their babes yet please be prepared that they don't just prick their heel & take a quick sample. They then squeeze & squeeze & squeeze their poor little foot to milk multiple drops of blood out - it's ridiculous how much blood they needed for each draw. The other thing to know though is that if they take a warm cloth to the foot for a couple minutes first it helps the blood flow & for subsequent tests they do not always need to repoke the heel as often the last one will bleed again - so at least that saves poor lo a little bit.

Karli - you most definitely should be able to save your carseat. Remove the cover & give a good wash according to the seat instructions. The shell you can wash down well with soap & water & even try sprinkling it after with a good dosing of baking soda - let sit overnight & vacuum - the baking soda really helps pull the cat urine stench out.

tongue tie - I am convinced the ds had a lip tie but didn't know until he was a year old 'cause that is when his teeth came in & I noticed how his frenulum came right down between his teeth. I asked several nurses but everyone seemed to think she looked fine but this feels exactly like it did with ds. Not sure where to go from here on this.

afm - we are home! It was a truly beautiful day here today - crazy warm. Dd has been sleeping so much since we got home which is a relief 'cause in the hospital she really wasn't sleeping very well at all. Ds is super excited - we have to watch his enthusiasm for loving her but he is being so good. I took a bath with ds tonight & he turned suddenly & kicked me right between the legs - OMG!!!! Yeah, that's not going to help me heal! Overall though I cannot believe how much better I feel now than I did after having ds - a world of difference.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#186 of 186 Old 10-09-2011, 05:45 PM

bigeyes.gif Karli. Oooh nooo. Bad kitty. We had a cat that we had to surrender back to the shelter. I think he just never adjusted after our second son was born. We tried everything to get him to stop peeing and we just couldn't. It was awful. We had to replace the flooring on two floors of your house because of the smell. Cat piss is disgusting. Sucks you had to buy a new seat. I probably would have too.. as you can't usually wash straps and such in the washer (per manufacturer's instructions). (((((((HUGS))))))) I hope you can catch a big break soon and are able to just bond with that boy of yours. Becoming a mom is so stressful, I know.

Rosemary - a spontaneous PEI potato?! Seriously cool. Oh, and welcome to full term, mama!!

lifeguard - so great to read your update. Sounds like life is going well with your new person! I can't wait to meet mine.

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page