Post partum belly binding? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-03-2011, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I ordered this from Amazon:   Gabrialla Breathable Elastic Abdominal Binder for Women.  I looked at the store at the Belly Bandit's, but they were really expensive.

My midwife suggested trying the belly binding to help with afterpains.  And if it helps get my body to shrink down more efficiently, all the better!

Anyone else done this, doing this, or planning to?  Experiences?

#2 of 13 Old 10-03-2011, 03:27 PM

i used an ace bandage... i'm cheap! haha.. it has worked great for me for all 3 recoveries. :)

#3 of 13 Old 10-03-2011, 03:31 PM

I def want to try it this time...just have to find something big enough...lol

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#4 of 13 Old 10-03-2011, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I didn't do it right away because I didn't know about it. I think around 6 weeks I got that book "Lose Your Mummy Tummy" which recommended a "splint" for helping get your muscles back together after diastasis. Wish I had tried it immediately. I will this time.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#5 of 13 Old 10-03-2011, 05:27 PM

I was just talking about this with Spouse last night! I plan on using a Ragu waist cincher as I already have some, including one that was already too large. Since I regularly wore shapewear before pregnancy, it shouldn't be too hard to get back into the swing of it afterward. Plus I find the cinchers comfortable in that they're breathable and not too tight if the right size.

#6 of 13 Old 10-03-2011, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've been thinking about it but as my size has changed so dramatically during the pregnancy I have absolutely no idea what size to get in something. I may try going out in the week after she is born to pick up something - depending on how I feel.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#7 of 13 Old 10-03-2011, 07:56 PM

I did not do it after my ds, and found that my shape bounced back pretty quickly anyway. Since I'm not the 19 year old I once was, I plan on it taking a little longer this time and will probably help it along winky.gif I am undecided on what belly binder I'll use. I have a couple in mind on amazon, but I really don't know yet.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#8 of 13 Old 10-03-2011, 08:07 PM

I used it after my last full term birth and found that it helped a lot. I didn't even think about it after I lost my son, darn that could have really helped with the after pains.

I will do it again this time, glad you brought it up. I will probably use an ace bandage as I have one. The binder I used last time was my midwifes and I have a different mw this time plus my old mw had a pretty devistating fire so I am guessing she doesn't have it anymore.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#9 of 13 Old 10-04-2011, 08:36 AM

so timely. I was just thinking about this and wondering if it helps. I assume you don't do anything super tight... when do you start wearing it? I would like to try something not too expensive... and like lifeguard I have no sense of what size I will be... are they fairly adjustable?

dissertating mom to three

#10 of 13 Old 10-04-2011, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I used an Ace Waist Trimmer, not specifically for births at all. It was $10 at the drug store.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#11 of 13 Old 10-04-2011, 12:22 PM

I just ordered one of these a couple days ago:

http://www.hanes.com/clothing/women/plus-size/hosiery---shapewear/hanes-womens-satin-waist-cincher

I read on a blog that it was a really good, inexpensive option, so I thought I'd try it.  Will probably get here sometime next week   I've never tried belly binding before. but after a couple days of feeling like my innards were struggling to get back in place, I thought it might be nice to try it, even if it is a little bit on the late side.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#12 of 13 Old 10-05-2011, 01:15 PM

Leihs- wha size were you pre pg and what size did you order? I think I like that one a lot, it looks easy to use and is a decent price.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#13 of 13 Old 10-05-2011, 03:03 PM

I was wearing XL tops pre-pregnancy, and size 16-18 jeans. I went ahead and ordered a 2X based on my current hip measurement... The corresponding waist measurement is almost 10 inches smaller than my post-baby belly, so I'm anxious to see how it fits.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page