Really freaking nervous - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-07-2011, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am having some serious nerves when it comes to delivery.  I've been pretty relaxed up until now, it is a natural process, it has been happening forever.  But now, with a little more that 48 hours to induction, I just feel panicked.  I'm excited, but I'm also in total denial.  I know that baby has to come out, one way or another.  I'm tired of being pregnant, but at the same time, I would be fine if she and I could just hang out like this for...you know, forever.  I don't like being uncomfortable or expressing discomfort, let a lot pain around other people.  My ideal birth would be at home, alone, in a dark bathroom, with no lights.  Unfortunately, that isn't reality for me and concessions are having to be made.  It doesn't help that I keep reading up on neonatal mortality rates, maternal mortality rates, etc.  I've made myself stop, but now it keeps popping into my head.

It is normal for first time moms to be totally freaked by this whole thing?  DH is just over the moon that she is coming, everyone is so excited.  I'm excited, but really really scared.  And I hate mentioning that and getting the "it will be fine!" lip service.  Were or are you totally freaked?  Did it get better or worst once you were actually in labor?  How did you deal with it?  How did you channel it?

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2011, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

hug2.gif

I remember feeling the same way as you, those feelings are completely normal. 

The power of thought is amazing.

Try to remember that many women have delivered babies with great success. Our bodies are amazing and meant to give birth. You can do it!! This is a beautiful birth story (below link) I read and she had breech twins!!  I remember after having my son, I was walking with my husband and DS, found myself looking at all the people around us thinking "Oh my!  Each and every person in the world was delivered by a mama!"  Puts it in perspective a bit. 
http://www.mothering....

Visualize your birth as you want it to be and only think those thoughts. Try not to speak to negative folks. Only surround yourself with others that will lift you and your thoughts up!  I would really slow down on reading stuff on the internet.  It will only cloud your mind at this stage of the game.  It is important to have knowledge but at the point where you are....  think positive only! 

Good luck to you!

'09   
Old 10-07-2011, 06:21 PM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by livacreature View Post

It is normal for first time moms to be totally freaked by this whole thing?  DH is just over the moon that she is coming, everyone is so excited.  I'm excited, but really really scared.  And I hate mentioning that and getting the "it will be fine!" lip service.  Were or are you totally freaked?  Did it get better or worst once you were actually in labor?  How did you deal with it?  How did you channel it?

nak

yes, totally normal. i felt very similarly prior to induction with my first. once i was in labour it got both better and worse. better because when i was just focused on what i was doing, i forgot about all my fears and just did it. worse because i was trying so hard to make things go the way i wanted and when things went south i had trouble emotionally.

second time around, i was still freaked out, but with more perspective. i dealt with it better this time by being much more honest, both with myself and with others. it wasn't always easy to be honest, but it was far better in the end.

it's a big freaking deal, and it's totally ok to be freaked out. hug.gif

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Old 10-07-2011, 06:56 PM

I was not freaked out at all the first time because I had never met anyone who gave birth...no clue about the process whatsoever....lol

I thought east peazy...baby comes out - give it boob- it lays aroound and coos...d'uh

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

Old 10-07-2011, 07:31 PM

I have had many a moment during all three pregnancies where I think, this thing has to come out!!! Totally normal, as far as I can tell. hug2.gif If it makes you feel better, I have done it twice and am really excited to get to have that experience again. So, there's hope for you. ;)

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

Old 10-07-2011, 07:58 PM

I didn't have a whole lot of nervousness the first time, but I think that was only because baby came earlier than I expected, so I didn't have time to be nervous.  I really had NO idea I was going into labor as early as I did.  I think if I had known, and especially if I had an exact date and time to look towards, I'd have been nervous.

This time, I actually am having some anxiety at times, and I think it's probably normal.  There's just so much uncertainty, it would be really hard to NOT be nervous, IMO.  I do think that once labor starts, the anxiety probably dissapates.  There's just so much going on with your body that it's hard to let your mind be in charge anymore.

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
Old 10-08-2011, 07:54 AM

Totally normal.  And I have the same feelings the second time around.  I mean, your life, identity, relationships and body are all about to undergo something really major - I think that`s worthy of some anxiety!

Your body is going to do something that sounds absolutely ridiculous when you think about it rationally.  Even though I`ve done it once I still can`t really believe that a) there is a person in there and b)THEY HAVE TO COME OUT!

My experience was a major increase in anxiety during labour but that was due to induction which caused panic and fear.  

But, I know this time that it was worth it a million times over, that you really do forget the worst of it, that it is the most beautiful thing in the world to meet your baby, and that there is so much love and joy.  And I know that however this birth and pp recovery go, all of that will stand true.

So, I won`t say  "ìt will be fine!" , but I will assure you that it will be totally worth it, no matter what!

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

Old 10-08-2011, 04:53 PM

I started a similar thread recently.  And I agree with what Katico said...  even though I'm apprehensive about what's to come, I know without a doubt once I have that baby in my arms it will be all worthwhile.  Good luck to you!

Old 10-09-2011, 01:13 AM

Just try to keep your mind OPEN to your experience.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

Old 10-09-2011, 10:35 AM
~pi

livacreature, thinking of you today and hoping all goes well. Best of luck!!

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

User Tag List