Maeve Penolope is here! Added birth story! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 10-10-2011, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Congratulations!  A mellow baby and a sweet big sister, sounds nice.

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#32 of 35 Old 10-11-2011, 06:41 AM

What a cutie! Congrats!

Chelsea, loving mama to Landon, born 11/3

#33 of 35 Old 10-11-2011, 08:41 AM

Congrats!!!!

Knitting mama to Crabby Patty and Lovebug .

#34 of 35 Old 10-16-2011, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much everyone! We are doing well but I've been MIA on here for a bit. I just typed up her birth story though and wanted to share...

Maeve Penelope’s Birth Story

On Thursday (oct 6th) I felt like things were different somehow. The Braxton hicks and cervical cramping that I had been having for weeks seemed stronger and like there was more oomph in them. I didn’t tell anyone because I didn’t want to get them all excited and have it amount to nothing. Fiona didn’t want to nap but I knew I needed sleep so we cuddled on the couch and I put Diego on for her while I dozed. I’d wake up, put another episode on and fall back asleep.

By the time Brian came home from work I began to have a couple real contractions but they were few and far between so I didn’t say anything. After dinner I asked him if he really did have to go to work tomorrow because I might have other plans for him! I took a bath and got Fiona down for the night and the contractions began to come at a more regular time. I told Brian but not my mom just in case they fizzled out. They didn’t!

I tried to go to bed and did manage a little sleep but around midnight I had to breath through them and found I needed to move around to get more comfortable. I didn’t want to wake Fiona so we got up and moved to the couch. I utilized my hypnobabies to get through contractions and slept between them. It was working really well and I managed to get some rest that way. I did throw up several times in the night, which was the same for my labor with Fiona.

Things were in full swing by morning. I listened to some more of the hypnobabies tracts and just relaxed through each contraction. Brian was amazed at how calm I was through them and could barely tell when they were coming except for a slight change in my breathing. I can honestly say that I never felt like things were super painful just a lot of pressure. It was awesome! The contractions did start to get more intense although not really closer then 5 minutes apart.

We called our Doula at that point and she came over close to noon. As soon as she arrived they got closer and closer. We called our Dr. at around 12:30. She offered to come to the house to check my dilation and listen the baby’s heart rate but couldn’t be here until 2:00. We told her great but within 10 minutes I knew I wanted to just get to the hospital so we called her back and said meet us there instead. We were at the hospital around 1:00.

I got a room right away and was checked. I was 5 centimeters! Yeah! Such great news after being at 1 cm for so long with Fiona. It was great to hear that I was progressing. I told the nurse I’d like to get in the tub and she said as soon as she could monitor the baby I could go for it. I was on the monitor for about 15 minutes. Still contracting and staying really mellow and calm through them. I started to feel really nauseous again at that point. The nurse said she wanted to check me again and I was at 8 cm! No tub for me, things were moving too fast.

My mom called and said she was ready to bring Fiona up to the hospital. Brian said great and they headed over. I kept up with my hypnobabies techniques through the contractions. Brian was a great help with taking my deeper into hypnosis. I felt really good. Zoya, our doula, was great about suggesting different positions for me as well. I was feeling really supported and good through all of this.

I began to feel pushy and was checked and had just a small lip of cervix left. They all encouraged me to just find a good position and do what felt good to me. I was feeling a bit discouraged because I felt like this part was taking a long time. Brian just kept working with me to keep my spirits high. At this point my back really began to hurt so I tried different positions and having Zoya push on my back. I got through it but I felt like this was the hardest part.

Pushing became involuntary quite soon. My body was just doing its own thing I tried to work with it. I found that lying on my side with my leg up was the most comfortable position for me. I used deep moaning and just went with it. Fiona and my mom came back into the room and I made sure they had Fiona in a spot where she could see well. My water suddenly burst with a pop! Woo Hoo!

Within a few minutes of my water breaking the baby moved down and her head was crowning. Oh such pressure! But I was so happy to be at that point and knew we would see our girl so soon. I tried hard to listen to Laura, as I didn’t want to tear. (and I didn’t!) It is hard to resist pushing and slow down at that point though. I reached down and felt her head, which was so encouraging! Fiona called out, “there is my baby’s head!” She was out moments later! Our sweet Maeve! Fiona said, “My mama is so happy!” and I was! She was born on Oct 7th at 5:06pm, after about 20 hours of labor. This was half the time as Fiona’s labor.

Maeve looked so much like her sister! She was just beautiful with a head full of blonde hair. She had some trouble with her breathing and was doing lots of grunting. The worked with her to try to get it cleared but determined she needed to be on oxygen for a bit. Laura reassured me that she would be fine she was just slow to get going. All the while, she never left my chest. Everything was peaceful and they just did their thing. Laura later explained that babies that come out super fast like Maeve did often have trouble transitioning. She was really grunty and her heart rate a bit sporadic. I think she was on the oxygen for about and hour and a half. The grunting slowly stopped and she would breathe calmly for a bit. Then I brought her to the breast and she latched on like a champ. Everything evened out… her breathing, her heart rate, her oxygen saturation levels. She was good to go!

I am so happy that I used the hypnobabies program. It really works. I really feel that Maeve’s peaceful labor and delivery are why she is such a calm girl in these early days. We are just loving her up! Fiona can’t get enough of her baby sister. She most often calls her my baby sister and sometimes Maebe. She gets smothered in kisses all the time!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#35 of 35 Old 10-16-2011, 05:17 PM

She's so adorable!!!  congrats!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page