Jaspers here, emergency c-section and in the NICU :( - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 167 Old 10-24-2011, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannahkatiebell View Post

Hi, sorry! I misread something earLiEr in the posts!
I used to volunteer at the RM House and it was REALLY nice. Seemed very private and sweet.

Its all good, I had to basically quit my job when this happened as my boss (I was a nanny) was only allowing me a week of maternity leave and I was not willing to take her two boys with me to the NICU.

Im just very socially anxious, I will be staying there if he is in the hospital past this Thursday...which looks likely :(

Are they private rooms? Im worried I will annoy a room-mate with my pumping schedule.

#122 of 167 Old 10-25-2011, 04:10 AM

It's just like a hotel. Check-In desk and all. Private rooms and bathrooms, too, I believe.

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

#123 of 167 Old 10-25-2011, 04:11 AM

It's just like a hotel. Check-In desk and all. Private rooms and bathrooms, too, I believe.

signcirc1.gif

#124 of 167 Old 10-25-2011, 04:11 AM

signcirc1.gif

#125 of 167 Old 10-25-2011, 04:12 AM

signcirc1.gif

#126 of 167 Old 10-25-2011, 04:12 AM

signcirc1.gif

#127 of 167 Old 10-25-2011, 04:12 AM

signcirc1.gif

#128 of 167 Old 10-25-2011, 04:12 AM

signcirc1.gif

#129 of 167 Old 10-25-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonflyMom View Post

Its all good, I had to basically quit my job when this happened as my boss (I was a nanny) was only allowing me a week of maternity leave and I was not willing to take her two boys with me to the NICU.

yikes

a week is not realistic even in the best of circumstances. And she has two kids- she should know that!

dissertating mom to three

#130 of 167 Old 10-25-2011, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Yeah, a week? Sheesh.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#131 of 167 Old 10-25-2011, 06:21 PM

DragonflyMom, how are things going?  Have you figured anything out with gas and transportation?  If you're still really strapped, I'd like to help at least a tiny bit via PayPal - I can't do much, because things are so tight for us, too, but my heart hurts so much to think that you can't go see him every day.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#132 of 167 Old 10-25-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post

DragonflyMom, how are things going?  Have you figured anything out with gas and transportation?  If you're still really strapped, I'd like to help at least a tiny bit via PayPal - I can't do much, because things are so tight for us, too, but my heart hurts so much to think that you can't go see him every day.

you know, same here DragonflyMom. I could paypal you a little gas money. I know if I was in your shoes, my parents and extended family wouldn't hesitate to cover that kind of thing. I wouldn't even have to ask. It really bothers me to think $$ is stopping you from being with your son. I think of you all often and just keep hoping I will come on here and read he's been discharged home.

#133 of 167 Old 10-25-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post

Me too. please pmme your pp address!

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#134 of 167 Old 10-26-2011, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, you gals are so sweet, my paypal is cmdore88@yahoo.com....but I really dont expect anything, having you guys to vent to really helps a lot and for that I am so grateful.

He has been off oxygen since 10am yesterday and when I left at 10pm he was hanging out in the high 90s/low 100's...I have been too afraid to call for an update over the night/this morning.

If he goes 48 hrs with no desats we can talk discharge again....Im trying not to get too excited as this has happened 4 times now, he will go without any desats for two or three days and I get the "discharge confirmation" and then by the next morning or the time I get to the hospital he has de-saturated again.

I was also told that for now breastfeeding is off limits as he needs his feeds thickened...Im depressed about that, Im also not a fan of rice cereal and I think Im going to ask about alternatives or if we can see if the Zantac alone is taking care of the reflux so that we can drop the thickening all together.

I cant wait to get him home.

Sunday, when he was supposedly coming home, I stopped and picked up some little pumpkins to do a photoshoot and now every time I see them I get all pissed off.

My depression/anger is running away with me :(

#135 of 167 Old 10-26-2011, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

Oh!

And if any of you are on Facebook, as much as I hate it, I update there a bit more with pics and things as Its easy to do from my phone while at the hospital.

Im Camahta Marie Dore or dragonflydore@gmail.com on there if anyone wants to be friends...Im so facebook challenged lol.

#136 of 167 Old 10-26-2011, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I just attempted to friend you.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#137 of 167 Old 10-26-2011, 02:51 PM

did you get the paypal I sent? I want to make sure it got through to you! 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#138 of 167 Old 10-26-2011, 02:56 PM

I also sent you a friend request on Facebook.

How is Jasper doing today?

Chelsea, loving mama to Landon, born 11/3

#139 of 167 Old 10-26-2011, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Im so dumb, I cant use the "pregnancy brain" excuse anymore...my paypal is camdore88@yahoo.com...

Im sooo dumb lol.

But seriously, thank you guys, I would have replied earlier but its a pain to get on Mothering on my phone so I had to wait until I got home to the computer.

He had a few drops while I was there today, got down to 88 but the nurse ( who is one of my favorites, her name is Velvet!) kept coming over and timed him to see how long it took for him to go back up and she said as long as he bounced back within 20-40 seconds she would not chart it unless it started happening more frequently or he dropped even lower.....

Im going to call at my 930pm pump to check on him...Im so scared my phone is going to ring in the morning with bad news :(

Im so scared to bring him home at this point....what if he drops and I cant tell because he is not on a monitor!!

Seriously, most of my day there is spent hold him and giving the monitor the "death glare", Velvet showed me how to silence the alarms so I would stop going crazy lol.

Heres a bonus picture :

328285_10150895877820541_783150540_21421867_181228789_o.jpg

Whats funny (and adorable) is that not only is this his favorite position now, but this is the exact position he was in for almost every ultra-sound, he never let us get a good face picture :)

And one more, for kicks

339145_10150880612795541_783150540_21319912_621936443_o.jpg

#140 of 167 Old 10-26-2011, 04:23 PM

So sweet!  I imagine that the monitor seems like quite the nemesis.  Mine had her hands in her mouth in all of her ultrasound shots...when she came out, you could see the suck marks on her wrists.  Now, after she nurses, those hands are back in her mouth.  We didn't get many clear face ultrasounds either (and I had a ton of ultrasounds!)

I sent you a friend request as well. :)

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#141 of 167 Old 10-26-2011, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by livacreature View Post

So sweet!  I imagine that the monitor seems like quite the nemesis.  Mine had her hands in her mouth in all of her ultrasound shots...when she came out, you could see the suck marks on her wrists.  Now, after she nurses, those hands are back in her mouth.  We didn't get many clear face ultrasounds either (and I had a ton of ultrasounds!)

I sent you a friend request as well. :)

I am almost starting to find them calming...I like being able to have proof that he is doing good, and when his stats drop I stare at it and "will it with my mind" to go back up...Im going a bit loony I think lol.

How adorable, its so cute that they have their little quirks in the womb and then to connect them once they are out is so heartwarming.

Today was the first day in a bit over a week that my husband was able to go with me and he got all teary eyed when he realized Jasper was in the same position as he was in the U/S

#142 of 167 Old 10-26-2011, 05:26 PM

oops...i sent it to the gmail address before you posted the yahoo one...were you still able to recieve it?

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#143 of 167 Old 10-28-2011, 12:14 PM

Any news yet about Jasper coming home? How did he hold up last night with his oxygen levels?

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#144 of 167 Old 10-29-2011, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Jasper came home Thursday evening :)

we did a photo-shoot today :D

DSCN0539.JPG

DSCN0548.JPG

Thank you guys for all the well wishes and support, Im so happy to have him home.

The past two nights I have slept with my hand over his chest (he is in a bassinet at the side of our bed) because Im so paranoid about him and I want to feel him breathing.

He seems to be a bit of a fussy eater as well, he will act hunger, eat about 1 ounces, drift off and then be awake again 10-15 minutes later starving :(

In the NICU he was taking 3 ounces every 4 hours, sometimes they let him go 5 hours.

Here at home he seems to be doing 2-3 ounces every 2-3 hours...is this OK??

We have made two attempts at breastfeeding since he has been home, Im just not quite sure how to go about transitioning to from the bottle to the breast.

Yesterday we tried and failed and this afternoon we tried and he latched fine for about 2 minutes and then fell asleep only to wake back up 15 minutes later hungry so I just bottled him.

Breast feeding feels like such a big production because of my horrible breasts, I have to get the boppy situated, get my breast situated and the breast shield stuck on and then get him into position all one handed because if I let go of my boob the shield falls off.

Its so frustrating and I find myself giving up on it a lot :(

#145 of 167 Old 10-29-2011, 01:40 PM

He is so beautiful!  His parents must be so proud!!!!!!!!

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#146 of 167 Old 10-29-2011, 02:37 PM

Some tips on breastfeeding:

My 1st kid was in the NICU for a week, so it was also a transition.  I urge you to stick with trying though, because later on it is so much easier than having to always bring bottles with you.

First, if you can find a good lactation consultant not attached to the hospital, then do it.  Mine was not too expensive, and I saw her many many times until we were doing better.

Now for tips:

The nipple shield can stay on you without falling off if you kind of roll it back a little, then roll it on so some of your nipple is stuck inside.  So roll it a little like you're trying to push the nipple part of the shield in a bit, then roll it onto yourself and it should stay. 

Don't feel like you have to try without the shield at this point, as that is a transition too, and baby is used to bottle type nipples.  Get comfortable with the shield first, then make the transition off of it.

Make sure you are bottle feeding for a breast-fed baby.  This means not tipping the bottle all the way up, but only horizontal to the ground so the nipple is just filled with milk.  This mimics breastfeeding more because at the breast, the baby has to do work to get milk, but at the bottle, each swallow provides enough suction to get a mouth full of milk without break.  This is actually too much for baby most times, so you need to give them a break at the bottle.  They have no ability to pause if at each swallow they get another gulp of milk in their mouth.  They swallow again so they don't choke.  Horizontal bottle and frequent breaks allow them to not gulp.  (sorry - a little wordy!)

Lastly, our LC had us work on his suck to make sure it was stronger or breastfeeding.  This involved using a tiny tube you taped to your finger and put the end of it in a bottle to finger-feed with.  If the bottle was held higher, our son would have to suck stronger to get the milk.  We did this several times and I think it helped.

The amounts you mentioned sounded good.  Baby might be used to having to do no work to get food, so he will get sleepier and fussier at the breast as he goes through this transition with you.  And it's ok.  And it's fine to go to the bottle sometimes to avoid frustration.  This whole process came with a lot of emotions for me and the LC said take small steps but keep at it.  I really encourage you to keep at it!  We finally weaned from the nipple shields after a couple months, and it was terrific.  They are a pain to wash all the time and have handy all the time.  But after those few months, we breastfed for 2 1/2 years.

Hopefully you find a good LC near you!  Also, a good breastfeeding resource website is www.kellymom.com.  Tons of great information!

Me (30) and DH (30), DS (7/1/08), DD (12/1/11) and finally expecting a new little one end of Jan/early Feb 2015!  
#147 of 167 Old 10-29-2011, 02:40 PM

I saw on your Facebook that he was home! I'm so unbelievably happy for you!!! He's absolutely gorgeous. I can't contribute on the feeding issues, but I feel you on sleeping with your hand on his chest. My DS didn't have any respiratory issues and I still get paranoid sometimes, especially at night.

Mom to Eli babyboy.gif 10/18/11 and loving wife to Derrin. heartbeat.gif 

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

#148 of 167 Old 10-29-2011, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmama08 View Post

Now for tips:

The nipple shield can stay on you without falling off if you kind of roll it back a little, then roll it on so some of your nipple is stuck inside.  So roll it a little like you're trying to push the nipple part of the shield in a bit, then roll it onto yourself and it should stay. 

The issue with this is that my nipple is so low on my breast that if I dont hold it up my nipple hits the pillow which then pulls the shield off...yeah, my boobs suck :(

Don't feel like you have to try without the shield at this point, as that is a transition too, and baby is used to bottle type nipples.  Get comfortable with the shield first, then make the transition off of it.

Im trying to take my time with things so that neither of us gets frustrated (I get impatient with myself) and I have been feeling guilty about that, so this is good to hear :)

Make sure you are bottle feeding for a breast-fed baby.  This means not tipping the bottle all the way up, but only horizontal to the ground so the nipple is just filled with milk.  This mimics breastfeeding more because at the breast, the baby has to do work to get milk, but at the bottle, each swallow provides enough suction to get a mouth full of milk without break.  This is actually too much for baby most times, so you need to give them a break at the bottle.  They have no ability to pause if at each swallow they get another gulp of milk in their mouth.  They swallow again so they don't choke.  Horizontal bottle and frequent breaks allow them to not gulp.  (sorry - a little wordy!)

I actually bought some bottles called "breastflow bottles" they have a double walled nipple that simulates let down and require compression to work, Im hoping this will keep things smooth as we try to transition.

The amounts you mentioned sounded good.  Baby might be used to having to do no work to get food, so he will get sleepier and fussier at the breast as he goes through this transition with you.  And it's ok.  And it's fine to go to the bottle sometimes to avoid frustration.  This whole process came with a lot of emotions for me and the LC said take small steps but keep at it.  I really encourage you to keep at it!  We finally weaned from the nipple shields after a couple months, and it was terrific.  They are a pain to wash all the time and have handy all the time.  But after those few months, we breastfed for 2 1/2 years.

Hopefully you find a good LC near you!  Also, a good breastfeeding resource website is www.kellymom.com.  Tons of great information!

Im not going to give up, Im a stubborn bitch and NOTHING else has gone my way, no way am I backing down on breastfeeding....I knew my boobs would cause issues, I just did not anticipate the whole NICU stay on top of that, he is so used to the bottle now :(

Thank you so much for all the tips, I really appreciate it!

#149 of 167 Old 10-30-2011, 12:46 PM

I am thrilled to come on here and see this update! Welcome home Jasper.

#150 of 167 Old 10-30-2011, 07:44 PM

Not safe anymore

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page