Pressured to induce! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 14 Old 10-13-2011, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Healing my heart
Posts: 6,151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My appointment yesterday did not go well at all. She basically said that Monday is the absolute latest she will let me go to, meaning she wants me to be induced on Monday. I will be 39w1d on Monday.

Also, she checked my cervix, and it was the most painful exam I've ever had. It's still very high, closed, and posterior. Not favorable at all for labor yet! My babies are still high, neither is engaged yet, so there's no pressure on my cervix to get things going.

I don't want to be induced! I asked her about waiting another week, and she said that there's no benefit to waiting that long. That's the only reason she gave me. Plus, she's only there Monday & Tuesday next week, then gone the rest. She's pushing it just for her convenience, not because it's necessary.

I had a BPP done, both babies got 8/8 again, so they are doing fine. Between that & my unfavorable cervix, I feel an induction is not necessary at this point, and would probably end in a very much unwanted C-section.

I really like this doctor, she's the only one I can see around here who handles twins. I wish she'd take into account that NONE of my babies have come before their due date, some were more than 2 weeks past. My babies just take longer to bake! I obviously know when I conceived since I was charting, so my EDD is accurate, and has always been confirmed by each U/S.

So, what do I do? Risk a possible failure of induction, or not show up & wait awhile longer?

Mama~Love is offline  
#2 of 14 Old 10-13-2011, 05:10 AM
 
Rosemarino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,641
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I really don't know what to tell you, except that I would feel as you do.


Rosemary, married  mama to Pascal 3/08 and expecting #2 on Halloween.
Rosemarino is online now  
#3 of 14 Old 10-13-2011, 05:29 AM
 
puente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm so sorry.  That sucks.  Which isn't helpful, but is true.

puente is offline  
#4 of 14 Old 10-13-2011, 07:38 AM
 
tutucrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would follow your gut. Induction with unripe cervix could result in fetal distress. Sounds like the babies are doing very well. If it were me I would just keep doing NST to make sure babies are doing good. Best wishes!

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.
 
tutucrazy is offline  
#5 of 14 Old 10-13-2011, 07:40 AM
 
Mainebirdgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh no!

I'm so, so sorry. It really sounds like the babes and your body are perfectly content as they are and not ready for induction... even though most twins come early, still lots don't and are perfectly healthy! So frustrating! 

I really don't know what to say. If you just don't show up for an induction, are there consequences? If you go in to labor at the end of next week and she's not around, who would attend? What would happen? 

I really, really, really hope you go in to labor on your own ASAP and you don't have to worry about this. What an unnecessary stressor at a crazy time. I wish I could help! 

Mainebirdgirl is offline  
#6 of 14 Old 10-13-2011, 07:46 AM
 
theboysmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was wondering where you are. I am glad the babies are doing so well. I personally would not induce in that scenario, there is nothing that points that an induction is necessary for the health of the babies. You aren't even at 40 wks and if fluid and everything looks good I think more problems could come from an induction than not. I would clearly state your concerns and tell her that when she returns you will revisit this discussion. At that point you would be 40 wks and can see how the babies are doing, etc.

Sorry you are having to deal with this.

Glad that they are baking so long. They are going to be big healthy babies:)


nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

theboysmama is offline  
#7 of 14 Old 10-13-2011, 07:59 AM
 
mambera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

That is such a bummer. :(  Can you sit down with her and talk about the risks/benefits of induction with unripe cervix vs watchful waiting with BPPs?  It doesn't sound like she's told you much about her thought process.


Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

mambera is offline  
#8 of 14 Old 10-13-2011, 08:09 AM
 
nicolian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 1,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This makes me so mad for you - that she isn't even explaining her reasoning. I'm sorry. I *think* I would probably just refuse to induce now, but I'm not sure what that would mean for you.


Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

nicolian is offline  
#9 of 14 Old 10-13-2011, 08:16 AM
 
Amy May's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ooh, that is so frustrating!  I personally get really frustrated hearing language from a doctor about "letting you go" to a certain point.  This is your pregnancy, your body, and your babies... it bugs me to think that a woman "needs permission" to be pregnant and let her body do what it is supposed to do.  I agree, her travel schedule and her perception of the lack of benefits for going that long are not good reasons to induce.  If I were in your shoes, I would speak to her and tell her you're not comfortable with the induction and don't feel like you understand the reasons (pros/cons) of an induction.  

If you didn't show up for the induction, went into labor on your own sometime after next week when she was gone, do you have a sense of who would handle your labor, and how?  You mentioned that she is the only one you see around there who handles twins.  This could mean you have another doctor who will automatically c/s with twins, or there are other doctors around you that you don't see, but who would assist you with twins.  Or a variety of things in between.  

I'm sorry you are going through this- it sounds very frustrating.  


Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
Amy May is offline  
#10 of 14 Old 10-13-2011, 08:46 AM
~pi
 
~pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sorry you are dealing with this right now. hug.gif

 

I second mambera's suggestion. And if you have that discussion, you may want to bring up the maternal risks and benefits, including postpartum. It sounds like she is focusing on fetal risks, which is not unreasonable, but you might want to remind her that you also have some valid and serious concerns about recovering from surgery while caring for two newborns plus the rest of your children.

 

If you disagree with her recommendation, as I'm sure you know, you do have the right to refuse. It's really a question of how much decision-making responsibility you want to take on yourself, and how that refusal might affect the care you receive. Ideally, it should not affect it at all, but reality can be different from ideal circumstances.

 

I would also ask about the predictive value of BPPs. The way it was explained to me is that while good BPPs are wonderful and reassuring, BPPs are not considered great predictive tests. In other words, the BPP gives you good information about how the babies are doing right now, but is not as helpful in predicting how they will be doing over the coming days/weeks. (I am not saying you should induce, just that it's always worth knowing how much or little value each piece of data has.)


professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

~pi is offline  
#11 of 14 Old 10-13-2011, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Healing my heart
Posts: 6,151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you for all of the advice you've given me. I'm going to try & schedule an appointment on Monday with her, and see if DH is able to come with me so we can talk this out. I think it would be better to do it face-to-face than over the phone.

I really don't need the stress this is causing. I didn't sleep much last night because I was thinking & worrying about it.

Mama~Love is offline  
#12 of 14 Old 10-13-2011, 11:48 AM
 
MOMYS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't have any advice, I justwant to let you know that I'm sending HUGS your way!!!

MOMYS is offline  
#13 of 14 Old 10-13-2011, 01:40 PM
 
Katico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,024
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I agree with AmyMay - it really rubs me the wrong way when doctors talk about not "letting you" go longer.  Annoying!!

 

I think it's totally valid to be worrying about a failed induction given the state of your cervix and the fact that you're dealing with twins.  On the other hand, if you wait and have to deal with another doctor who isn't used to dealing with twins, you may be increasing your risk of a c/s anyway.

 

Very frustrating, I'm sorry this is something you have to worry about!  I hope you can have a good discussion with your doctor and get some more concrete pros/cons from her!


Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

Katico is offline  
#14 of 14 Old 10-13-2011, 02:16 PM
 
akayerich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: subject to change without notice
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yeah, the whole " not letting you go" thing really bothers me, too. As if you haven't done any research and don't know anything about the way birth works, and you're trying to endanger your children and the doc's just there to "not let you" do it! 

 

 I don't have any advice other than what other's have said.  I think your plan to try to sit down and talk with her again is a good one.  What a frustrating situation!


Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
akayerich is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off