Milk supply? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-15-2011, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a question as a first time breastfeeder who doesn't know many people who have done it.

Aurora is typically feeding every 2-2 1/2 hours right now.  When she finishes latching to each, I pump because I really want a supply built up due.  I am able to get about an ounce from each breast most of the time.  Is this adequate?  Milk just came in yesterday, I'm a bit clueless.  She is getting plenty, lots of wet and dirty diapers.  We go for a weight check on Monday.  

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-15-2011, 10:59 AM

An ounce from each breast after babe nurses seems reasonable to me...but I'm not an expert.  I just remember when we had some latching issues during DS's first week and I was pumping a few times a day that it felt like I wasn't getting much out at first.  Gradually the amount increased, and after week 2 I wasn't pumping anymore, so I don't know how much I would've been able to at that point.  Maybe x-post on the Breastfeeding forum.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#3 of 4 Old 10-15-2011, 11:09 AM

I think pumping output will increase as you get used to it and your milk supply in general will regulate more to the demand (at least, that is what usually happens). Also many people find that you have more milk at certain times of day (AM for most). I would say don't worry too much about pumping right now though?!? You are VERY newly PP still. In a couple of weeks things will all be much easier and more predictable. Once she is nursing well you will likely get more by pumping too (and IME the pump is hard on my nips. As is a new nurser). And I assume this is for when you return to work? Remember that you will most likely be using "fresh" pumped milk for most bottles when you are at work. So while its good to have a freezer stash, it doesn't have to be gigantic. Most of my friends who WOHM full time and pumped did an early AM pumping session 7 days a a week for the "extra" and then one or two (mostly they moved to one) pumping session while at work which was used the next day.

dissertating mom to three

#4 of 4 Old 10-15-2011, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

emmaegbert said it so well. I tend to pump just in the morning (I pump just to keep a small stash in the freezer for when babe is a little bit older). I feed on one side & then pump on the other. At this point (8 days pp) I am getting about 2oz in about 5 minutes which I am content with. It also helps to look at & think about your baby while you are pumping.

The best judge of your supply is that baby is gaining & producing enough wet/dirty dipes.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page