We've watched the scale go up together, wanna watch it go down? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 218 Old 10-30-2011, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

lifeguard, sorry about the frustrating weight gain, though a few pounds is not much (as you know) considering the losses you've had!

I would not be surprised if the hips thing is also partly temporary. My DH was talking about the labor- he was applying counter pressure with his hands to the back of my pelvis, and said he could literally feel the pelvis widening as the baby's head moved into my birth canal. He said he knew she was almost born b/c of that. also, ftr, he said he felt my tailbone move. (he did study anatomy in art school so has a basic understanding of the skeletal structures he was feeling).

Anyway, just saying. its been what- a few weeks? IME it takes a while for the bones to come back together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

This lack of sleep is really screwing me over with the weight loss. I've gone up a few pounds this week & there really is no other explanation. I know from experience that if I can get a good solid stretch of sleep I'll see this little increase drop away again. Sigh.

I had two workouts this week & they were great. I'm super pleased with how they went. We kept the weight low with higher reps. No increased bleeding so that is good. My mobility without the belly is astounding (well, not to someone with actual flexibility but for me it's fabulous) & I can definitely see an increase in my strength in body weight exercises (ie. I can do a FULL push-up now!).

How's this for weird - my trainer took my measurements yesterday. When I compared them to my last measurements in February which was a good 20lbs heavier I literally haven't lost any inches - in fact I've gained inches in my hips (but I suspect that might be a bit of a placement issue) & my chest (which isn't surprising). How do you lose 20lbs & it not show up in any of your measurements? No wonder I'm still wearing the same size I was 40lbs ago. Sigh. SO discouraging.

dissertating mom to three

#62 of 218 Old 10-30-2011, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks - I'm not stressed about the hips thing - I'm actually not very hippy so a change there, even if permanent wouldn't bother me too much - might actually make clothes fit better - more just don't understand how I could be down 20lbs but not take up less space - it's just weird.

And that is so cool that your dh could feel things moving - very neat.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#63 of 218 Old 10-31-2011, 03:06 PM

As with DS  my weight loss stalled at 20ish pounds lost after 3 weeks so now at 3.5 weeks I need to start on the treadmill for short walks and I plan on starting DD on a bottle this weekend to get her used to the idea (I go to work 12wks pp anyway) and DH will watch her while I take the dog for short trail walks this weekend...she has been sorely ignored and homebound.

I have 20lbs to lose to get to where I will be happy and 23lbs to lose to get to pre-preggy weight with DS....FX I can do it in the next two months - I want to fit into some of my old non preggy work clothes when I return to work around Christmas :).  At least a few....

Knitting mama to Crabby Patty and Lovebug .

#64 of 218 Old 10-31-2011, 03:23 PM

I'm waiting a week to weigh myself (I'm 4d pp right now). And probably 2 weeks to start worrying much about food (though I am trying to eat a high protein breakfast and remember to have protein in my snacks).

Staying home entirely for a week, and then I will start with one easy outing per day max for the second week. I will ease back into regular life around 2 weeks and plan to wait until at least 3-4 weeks to start any concerted efforts at increasing my activity level. My regular life activity level includes a lot of walking, so I think just working up to my usual 2-4 miles a day, but babywearing, during weeks 2-6 will be a great goal.

I also am planning to apply for financial aid (finally) at the Y and hopefully start some formal exercise classes whenever that application goes through- which my friend says can take quite a while. I believe that they have babysitting, which would mean I could actually go.

I would so like to be even just approaching a "normal" size by after christmas. Its partly a silly reason... but DH works for a clothing company and he can use his discount at the post-holiday sale (most of the time he can't use it on sale clothing, so its still too expensive for us)... I mean, regardless I will go ahead and get some decent clothing b/c I think that is important to feeling better at whatever size you are. I don't know. I guess I'll see where I am at 6w pp- which is December 9.

#65 of 218 Old 11-04-2011, 09:44 AM

okay so I am 1 week PP today and exactly 15lbs down from when baby was born.

that means I have 21-24 lbs to lose to be at pre-baby weight. Its a little depressing, but on the other hand, when I think about losing 15 lbs (which I think would let me start wearing "normal" size clothes), that doesn't seem insurmountable.

bad news is that I'm sick with a nasty cough, my bleeding hasn't slowed as much as the MW wants so more bedrest for me, and I generally am feeling pretty crappy- I think as much from the cold as anything. But still really having to take it easy. Also my blood pressure was a little high at my visit yesterday. That with the continued bleeding made the MW recommend really more effort at rest. Hard b/c DH is back at work. But my parents are around, and I am taking friends offers to watch the olders for playdates and stuff so even if I don't sleep, I can lie down more. So, my plans to get out and start moving around more are on hold for the time being.

my mom thinks if I stick with my moderately low carb diet and with the tandem nursing, that PP weight gain won't be a problem for me like it was in the past. Hope she is right! I am going to only weigh myself once a week though. I don't want to get too wrapped up in it.

#66 of 218 Old 11-04-2011, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

nak

emma, 15 lbs in a week is pretty good. but i hear you. you gotta get some stuff at that holiday sale anyway though--do it for me!!! i mean not literally for me, but you know, so i can live vicariously through your discount. redface.gif

i'm 6 days and 16 lbs down. i've been binding my belly and it is really working to put it all back. i don't have that bread dough belly i had with ds at all.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#67 of 218 Old 11-04-2011, 12:07 PM

I'm 11 days pp and down 20 lbs, but still 11 lbs from prepregnancy weight.  Yesterday we left the house (only for the 2nd time, first was to pediatrician), and took a walk to our main downtown (Jamaica Plain, Boston).  It was really nice to get out of the house... feeling a little stir-crazy too.

I sort of wonder if I'll ever have a firm and muscular torso again.  It is pretty soft right now, and I have to remember that there are probably still muscles there somewhere!  I was able to zip up a pair of pre-pregnancy jeans, but hello, muffin top!  I would never wear them in public (yet).  But, I'm still less than 2 weeks postpartum, and nursing nonstop.  In a few weeks when I'm more recovered and bleeding has completely stopped, I'll resume a bit more activity.  In the meantime, I do think it is important to really rest and take care of myself.  I've definitely been good about taking it easy, but I'm not napping the way I should.  I feel guilty for napping- I don't want to close my eyes and miss being able to look at my baby!

It sure is nice to be able to sleep on my back again, and to roll over, move, get up without grunting or having to make a plan-of-attack.  

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#68 of 218 Old 11-04-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy May View Post

It sure is nice to be able to sleep on my back again, and to roll over, move, get up without grunting or having to make a plan-of-attack.  

i know, right? i don't want to forget how luxurious these simple things feel.

#69 of 218 Old 11-04-2011, 12:48 PM

I hit my pre-pregnancy weight (about 20lbs lost) yesterday at 13 days PP.  Woohoo!

Of course, my belly & hips are still much bigger than they were pre-pregnancy.  I did manage to get into a pair of Old Navy cords that have always been big in the waist a few days ago.  I've been wearing them, but they don't feel great on my still-sore c-sectioned belly so I'll probably go back to yoga pants for a few days. I haven't really done much the last few days, but I'm bleeding a bit more than I was and my belly hurts more.  I did spend a few hours sitting on the floor the other day, which was uncomfortable, so I'm guessing maybe that is the cause.  I ordered some more cords from ON - it looks like a different style than the ones I have now, but I'm hoping they'll fit me.

Once I'm feeling myself again I'd like to work on losing the other 25lbs or so that I've been carrying around for way too long.  Before I got pregnant with DD1 I lost about 15lbs from my highest non-pregnant weight, but I've been stuck there since.

#70 of 218 Old 11-05-2011, 05:08 AM

So my last OB appointment weigh in (at 40 weeks) was 264, yesterday (at 28 days PP)  I was at 229!!

I dont look like it though... :(

I just look...deflated...

#71 of 218 Old 11-05-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonflyMom View Post

So my last OB appointment weigh in (at 40 weeks) was 264, yesterday (at 28 days PP)  I was at 229!!

I dont look like it though... :(

I just look...deflated...

Holy smokes!! Good for you! I know what you mean with the "deflated" look, though. From what I've heard, though, it usually takes longer to get back to "normal" (or as close to it as we can get) than it does to drop the weight.

I'm currently 28 pounds down from my pre-pregnancy weight--but still, of course, in the same size clothing. Boo. But I'm trying to remember that it's not about the size I'm wearing, it's about my health and the loss of those 28 pounds make me more healthy than I was before.

Mom to Eli babyboy.gif 10/18/11 and loving wife to Derrin. heartbeat.gif 

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

#72 of 218 Old 11-05-2011, 06:30 AM

You ladies astound me. You've lost 35lbs in a month, Dragonfly. Whoa. And Trinket, 28 down from PRE-pregnancy??? For the floppy skin, seriously try binding your belly with an "adjustable waist trimmer" that you can get at the drug store. If your belly still is too big for just one, they can velcro together. I waited a bit too long with ds last time, but when I did it, it helped me immensely. I put one on this time on the day I left the hospital and I have no flabby skin. (I do have chub, but it's not flabby if that makes sense.) Lots of cultures do this, and I always thought it sounded so vain, but it really works to do more than slim your waist, It helps muscle separation, uterus to go back, and all that other stuff that gets shifted in pregnancy to find its way home.

Down 18 lbs today, 1 week pp! Sweating like crazy last night--absolutely soaked--yuck.

#73 of 218 Old 11-05-2011, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Oh my do I know what you mean about deflated - especially if I'm not wearing a bra - it's quite depressing. I find it interesting that I am nowhere near wearing the clothes I could previously wear at this weight - interesting & disappointing, but it will come. <

y workouts are going pretty well, actually they're quite inspiring. All the work I put in during the pregnancy is paying off now & that is exciting. I am seeing improvements in all sorts of areas - but especially in my mobility & form.

I am so exhausted & getting so little solid sleep is really messing with commitment to my nutrition so my weight loss has totally stabilized which is sucks. I wish I was one of those people who lost weight due to stress.

Unfortunately I have started bleeding again & it is quite red. Not sure what started it though I think just the complete lack of sleep is probably the biggest factor. I am running on fumes & am a very unhappy mommy right now - poor ds.

#74 of 218 Old 11-05-2011, 10:50 AM
~pi

I was down to pre-pg weight early on but have now gained a couple of pounds back. Note to self: grabbing three oatmeal chocolate chip cookies every time I sit down to nurse the baby makes the postpartum weight loss train go the wrong way. So I was down 33 lbs, and now am up 2 from there.

So that is not ideal, but it is not the end of the world. I'm getting back to normal now, though things are still not quite in the place I left them. And my boobs are huge. I'm a G cup now. (I topped out at E with DS1 so this is new for me.) My middle is quite mushy, but this is not a shock, being postpartum and all. I do have a bulge above my waist that was never there before, though. It's in the same place that felt super sore at the end of pregnancy and it is still quite tender, so if it's still there next month, I'm going to get it checked out.

I bound my belly and hips occasionally for the first 4 weeks, but I can't really tell if it did anything. I did get back into my nice clothes by 3 weeks pp (in time for a conference) which was the whole point, but I don't think I did it regularly enough to credit binding. I think I was just lucky, and the exercise during pregnancy made the biggest difference. I haven't decided whether to keep doing it for the 6-8 weeks recommended. It's a pain, and I am concerned that it is contributing to the upper abs issue by pushing everything up there. I might just do my hips. I'd really like to shove my hips back into place, largely because ever since my first pregnancy, the slight widening of my hips has contributed to greater hip and knee pain when playing field sports.

Lifeguard, bow.gif for working out again already! I am definitely not there yet, though I'm now starting to ramp up with longer walks. We pulled the old pram out of the basement, which is nice for longer walks. I also have big plans to do a gentle yoga postpartum routine this weekend. Woo-hoo.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#75 of 218 Old 11-05-2011, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Pi - but really it's fear driven. I was SO terrified of my first workout back because of the memories of how painful it was to get back into shape after ds (which was ridiculously 'cause I waited almost a year before going back to the gym). So, yeah, I was so scared of undoing all my hard work thus far that I couldn't stand to wait longer.

#76 of 218 Old 11-05-2011, 11:21 AM

Lifeguard- you've mentioned for a while that you're burning the candle on both ends, between sleep, family obligations, and taking care of yourself (including working out).  After birth, we have a wound on the inside of our bodies the size of a dinner plate from where the placenta was healing.  If it were on the outside of our bodies, we would probably not all try to do as much as we do in the early postpartum period.  Bleeding, especially bright, is the best sign our body gives us that we're doing too much- the wound on the inside of our body is still healing. 

I totally get it that getting back to working out is very important to you, but it may also be delaying your recovery and healing.  You just gave birth, and your body is most definitely still healing.  Don't forget to take care of yourself during this time too!

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#77 of 218 Old 11-05-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Amy May. The bleeding has stopped today (it seems) & dh & I came up with a better plan to get me more sleep. I'm also going to try to change my focus to my nutrition as that should also help me with my recovery.

#78 of 218 Old 11-05-2011, 07:08 PM

I am down to 211 (highest pregnancy weight was 235, started at 224) so that is great!

I don't work out at all yet - 3 1/2 weeks PP - will begin maybe some ab stuff after my 6 week check up. Since I am still losing, I am not really concerned about upping the ante so to speak. Once I seriously plateau, then maybe. Also I still have occasional spotting, so don't really want to do more than I am already. For instance, I probably shouldn't be carrying my 25 lb almost 2 year old. But sometimes it is just easier - and a necessity, for everyone's safety and piece of mind.

so many have had great weight loss!

I totally have a doughy belly. I don't bind though, and I figure it has time to get back. DD isn't even a month old yet! (and my belly wasn't exactly flat to start with).

Just try to take it easy and not stress.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#79 of 218 Old 11-07-2011, 08:18 AM

I am so frustrated that I am still bleeding and its been 10 days. The bleeding will stop for a half a day or so, and then start again. I am tired and under the weather with a nasty cold, but also getting so bored! I don't normally work out but I am very active in my daily life and this is very dull for me. I literally have only left the house to go to my son's teacher conference last week, and then to the bus stop at the corner to pick up or drop off my son. However, I am clearly not spending enough time in bed...

and seriously guys, WOW on the weight loss you all have been seeing. I was at 16lbs last I checked (Sunday, which is my usual weight check day, and was 9d pp)

anyone have a good (free) resource for some simple stretches/strengthening things we could be doing that would be okay in the PP weeks? I am starting to feel like there must be some stuff i can do safely...

#80 of 218 Old 11-07-2011, 09:27 AM

Maybe some postpartum yoga on youtube?

I just took a walk with Iona solo. She's still pretty little for the baby carriers and when she is in them I'm absolutely paranoid that she's not breathing, so dh set up the bassinet attachment for our stroller and we were both very happy, though I felt guilty for not holding her. In general, babywearing also hurts my back (not a wrong carrier issue, just a back issue). I'm not sure what to do! I want to give Iona as much in arms time as I can...

#81 of 218 Old 11-08-2011, 06:54 AM

Emma - I am 4 weeks PP and still spot on occasion! (I'm chasing a nearly 2 year old and carrying him around sometimes so that probably has something to do with it!) - give the PP bleeding some time.

Rosemary - if she's happy in the bassinet part of the stroller, that is great! what sort of carrier(s) do you have? I have a baby k'tan and was trying to do the pouch(kangaroo?) hold - and DD wasn't tolerating it and it made me sort of nervous. tried her in the hug hold, and she loves it! and it is a much safer position. I have a Boba for my toddler, and can't use it with her for a few more months yet.

I am down about another pounds so 24 lbs lost all together. want to lose another 11 before the end of the year, that would be fantastic! I'd be at a weight I've not been since my wedding (I think) 6 years ago.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#82 of 218 Old 11-08-2011, 07:21 AM

thanks Katrina. The MWs are making me feel like it means I am not healing fast enough. I honestly don't really remember how much I bled with my previous two births. But I didn't have two older kids to run after then.

Rosemary- thanks for the youtube suggestion. I actually found some good stuff there, so I'm looking forward to starting. Some are very basic core reconnection exercises- look just right for now. And some simple yoga routines that I will add when the bleeding stops. But yeah, mostly I will add walking back into my life first, once I stop bleeding. Sick of having to say that for sure! 

#83 of 218 Old 11-08-2011, 07:22 AM

So wait, I see you guys talking about still spotting....

I have been having bright red bleeding and I kind of just assumed it was my period returning because I went about a week with no bleeding.

Its been a month, its it unlikely that this is my period?

Kind worried now because the past few days since it started I have had some soreness around my incision...

I have not been doing much really...running errands but nothing really stressful.

#84 of 218 Old 11-08-2011, 07:27 AM

I got my period right back after my first. Maybe not quite a month but by 6-8 weeks sure. So I don't know. But maybe call into your OB office?

#85 of 218 Old 11-08-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonflyMom View Post

So wait, I see you guys talking about still spotting....

I have been having bright red bleeding and I kind of just assumed it was my period returning because I went about a week with no bleeding.

Its been a month, its it unlikely that this is my period?

Kind worried now because the past few days since it started I have had some soreness around my incision...

I have not been doing much really...running errands but nothing really stressful.

I'm not sure. Seems very early to get your period, especially since you're pumping.

I know with my 1st (vaginal) birth I bled on & off for like 9 weeks PP.  In retrospect, I probably should have been taking it easier, but I had no idea what was normal or not.

There's been a lot less bleeding in general with the c-section this time around, but the volume goes up & down a lot.  I'm about 2.5 weeks PP and I'm definitely still bleeding.

#86 of 218 Old 11-08-2011, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Seems unlikely dragonfly but worth getting checked if you are worried.

I'm a full month out & still getting some spotting. Kind of sick of it quite frankly, but I honestly don't find a correlation between doing something "difficult" & the bleeding - the spotting seems very random.

I am so frustrated with my body. I was down 20lbs now I'm back up 5lbs. Why is that I must be 100% perfect with my diet to keep from gaining? It is SO hard to be 100% when I'm not getting enough sleep - so hard! And seriously, even with my indiscretions my diet is better than 95% of the people out there. NOT FAIR! Some days it just so does not seem worth it.

#87 of 218 Old 11-08-2011, 08:07 AM

re: bleeding- I'm 3 weeks after a c-section and I'm still bleeding.  It isn't a ton, but it's enough that I have to use a liner.   Some days are heavier than others.  Allegedly it's normal.

gained 35 lbs with the pregnancy, and dropped 25 of that back off within the first 2 weeks PP.  I got all excited, thinking this wouldn't be so bad.  Haven't lost another since, and gained a pound back instead.  Haven't started being particularly active yet, but am eating SO MUCH BETTER than pre-pregnancy and am BFing, so I'd like to think that the weight would continue to leave.  Nope.

My belly looks like a deflated balloon, and I have insane stretch marks everywhere.  I'm never wearing a swimsuit again.  I'm also apparently never wearing my old pants again, because my belly size continues to require me wearing my maternity pants.

I feel the frustration, Lifeguard.

#88 of 218 Old 11-08-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

I am so frustrated with my body. I was down 20lbs now I'm back up 5lbs. Why is that I must be 100% perfect with my diet to keep from gaining? It is SO hard to be 100% when I'm not getting enough sleep - so hard! And seriously, even with my indiscretions my diet is better than 95% of the people out there. NOT FAIR! Some days it just so does not seem worth it.

I feel you, I have always been like that.

I can eat nothing but salads and veggies and good stuff and if Im not working out hardcore I gain weight...it sucks :(

#89 of 218 Old 11-08-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyanna View Post

I'm not sure. Seems very early to get your period, especially since you're pumping.

I know with my 1st (vaginal) birth I bled on & off for like 9 weeks PP.  In retrospect, I probably should have been taking it easier, but I had no idea what was normal or not.

There's been a lot less bleeding in general with the c-section this time around, but the volume goes up & down a lot.  I'm about 2.5 weeks PP and I'm definitely still bleeding.

After the first week my bleeding went to just the occasional dark brown spotting, after two weeks I had clean liners for a week...so I just assumed it was over with.

Now Im going through about two "super" tampons a day.

I have an OB appointment next week and if its still going on Ill mention it.

#90 of 218 Old 11-08-2011, 09:38 AM
~pi

Rosemary, if she is happy, what is your concern about having her in the stroller? Holding in arms is great, but so is a nice, long, comfortable walk. I agree with Katrina: in your shoes, I wouldn't worry, I would just thank Iona for being an easygoing baby about this!

lifeguard, it does suck and it isn't fair. I am sorry.

Emma, I believe spotting at 4 weeks is well within the range of normal.

Dragonfly, I was told not to use tampons. And also to call if I had bright red bleeding start up again. I hope everything is ok.

NAK now, off for a long walk in the rain when he is done eating.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page