We've watched the scale go up together, wanna watch it go down? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 218 Old 10-15-2011, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I know it's quick but I know I'm not the only one looking at post-partum weight loss.Shall we use this thread to support each other?

I am still working with the nutritionist & for now we are not making any changes to my routine. I'm hoping this week to start getting more walks in again & am aiming to get back into the gym this coming Friday dependent on how my perineum is feeling.

Sasha's Mama likes this.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#2 of 218 Old 10-15-2011, 08:30 PM
~pi

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am in. I stepped on the scale a few days ago and had just dipped below pre-pregnancy weight, which was pretty exciting for me. Pre-pg was about 10 lbs above where I like to be, though, and I am definitely planning to springboard off the fitness gains I made during pregnancy.

I've been walking but am not planning anything more strenuous for at least another week or two.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#3 of 218 Old 10-15-2011, 08:47 PM

I got weighed at the OB on Thursday. 23 lbs down from what I weighed 3 days before delivery, 20 lbs up from my pre-pregnancy weight. Not too bad. I got weighed in the hospital and I'd only lost 6 lbs. I peed it all off last week :) (I was super, super swollen post-delivery--at one point I couldn't walk. I was actually worried about postpartum preeclampsia because I was so swollen and my BP was swinging all over.)

I'm trying to avoid the postpartum sugar binge I had with dd--that left me heavier than I'd started out!

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#4 of 218 Old 10-15-2011, 09:20 PM

Yeah, I'm in!  I haven't had a pp weigh-in yet, but should on Monday.  I have a lot of weight to lose , and gained 35 lbs in the pregnancy, but I bet a lot of that was PE swelling.  

Right now I'm just trying to take it easy and eat sensibly, but I could be eating a lot MORE sensibly.  I had DH take the Oreos away once I read this thread.  I can probably start some light exercise soon... maybe.. I didn't have a very traumatic birth, but I have a fairly simple 2nd degree tear that I'm healing, and I'm still bleeding.  

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#5 of 218 Old 10-15-2011, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I'm not eating sensibly.  I'm STARVING.

I haven't got on the scale yet.  Will do that at my two week post partum midwife appointment.  I feel like I look great, but that's probably all the water weight that's finally gone.

Great idea for a thread!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#6 of 218 Old 10-15-2011, 11:14 PM

How soon are you all getting active again? I would have loved to have gone for a walk today (5 days pp), but a short outing yesterday did me in for the rest of the day crotch-wise.
#7 of 218 Old 10-16-2011, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

capretta - it is most definitely my crotch that is keeping me down but that is probably a good thing - keeps me from overdoing it. Yesterday I spent most of the morning standing in the kitchen & then helped stack firewood for a bit. My repair was really feeling it so I'm going to limit it to small walks for a few days & see how that goes.

alexis - 23lbs?! Holy smokes. I'm down about 14 & I must admit I'd hoped that number would be much closer to 20.

I set a goal with my nutritionist last night. He said it was big but we'll go for it. I would have much rather he'd said hell ya that's doable! Makes me worried I've set it too low. We'll see I guess.

#8 of 218 Old 10-16-2011, 05:35 AM

hey all I'd love to join this thread but I'm still pregnant and the scale is still going up (between .5 and 1 lb per week these days)! I am still walking 1-4 miles a day (usually closer to 3 but some days 1 is all I am up for) and going to a prenatal yoga class once a week. I am kind of horrified at the amount of weight I've gained so far, much more than previous pregnancies. I did start out at a lower weight. But still. Its a big number to contemplate (today at 39 weeks I weigh the same as what I weighed the day I gave birth to my son almost 7 years ago, at 38w1d. So in perspective, I am at pretty much the same final size.)

Lifeguard am I right that you are sticking to the same low carb diet you were following all along? How does that feel in the immediate PP period? Are you just used to it now? Did you up your carbs at all? I was SO hungry last two times for the first few weeks after the birth. I expect to relax things a little but want to pretty much go with what I know works for me (which is a moderate/low carb diet, like 50-75g carbs a day, very restricted grains/sugars).

dissertating mom to three

#9 of 218 Old 10-16-2011, 07:44 AM

I'm not really active yet - under 3 weeks out from a C. I am doing super well considering, but every time I push it too far, I pay. So no real exercise.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#10 of 218 Old 10-16-2011, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

emmaegbert - this first week pp I ate whatever I wanted - it was such a relief to not have to worry about bs for a change. I am not overly hungry so far but I just started back on 20 carbs a day today so we'll see what I'm saying tonight. We will adjust things as we go depending on how I feel, my milk supply & how my weight loss is.

alexis - most definitely important to follow how your body is feeling. A c-section is major surgery & it's so important to make sure you heal well.

#11 of 218 Old 10-16-2011, 10:21 AM

Also, I'm restarting metformin because that really helps with my PCOS carb craving. I have some left but I'm hoping my PCP will prescribe some to tide me over till I can go see my PCOS doc (always a long wait to get appts with her).

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#12 of 218 Old 10-16-2011, 12:12 PM

Eek! a walk at 5 days? Don't do it!!
A week in your nest, people. A full week.
No walking for exercise til 6 weeks!
You can walk, you know, to get out of the house. To go grocery shopping. To get the mail. But please, no walking to exercise. For your poor pelvic floor. Do it for me.
Ok, stepping off my soapbox.

I am wondering how much fluid I was packing around. I'm 2 weeks post partum and down 35 pounds, -5 off pre-pregnancy. That is just odd to me. WTF? I was swollen, but not that swollen.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#13 of 218 Old 10-16-2011, 12:23 PM

Hey, that's why I ask! wink1.gif
#14 of 218 Old 10-16-2011, 12:28 PM

I bust yer chops because I care, you know?

I'm happy you're feeling well, though.

#15 of 218 Old 10-16-2011, 12:59 PM

Aw. blowkiss.gif
#16 of 218 Old 10-16-2011, 03:24 PM

I am in the same boat...I want to exercise but need to take it easy after my CS.  I hope to start slowly at the gym in 2-3 wks as i want to be sure I'm healed and good to go :). I am going to update this post instead of new one's so I can keep track :).

Pre-P weight w/ DS, 110lbs, h: 36", w: 26"

Pre-P weight w/ DD 123lbs (was 115lbs, weaned DS last Fall and shot up 8lbs more then got bfp)

40wk pregnancy weight, 153lbs, h: 40.5", w: 40.5"

1 wk Post-P weight, 143lbs, h: 40", w: 35.5"

2wks Post-P weight, ?? (scale needs new batteries so no clue what my weight is), h:40", w: 33.5"

3wks Post-P weight, 133.2lbs, h: 40", w: 31.5"

4wks Post-P weight, 132.0lbs, h: 40", w: 31"

5wks Post-P weight, 130.2lbs

6wks Post-P weight, 128.8lbs, h: 39.8", w: 31"

7wks Post-P weight, 127.2lbs, h: 39.2", w: 29.25"

8wks Post-P weight, 127.8 h: 39.2", w: 29.25" (ugh, Thanksgiving binge)

9wks Post-P weight: 125.4 h: 39", w: 29"

10wks Post-P weight: 124.2

11wks Post-P weight: 123.4

12wks Post-P weight: 123.0

13wks Post-P weight: 124.8 h: 38.25", w: 28.75"- yikes!!!!  Ate too many ribs and chicken wings - doh.

14wks Post-P weight: 123.2 h: 38", w: 28.5" (doing better this week!)

15wks Post-P weight: 120.8 (flu bug - ugh)

16wks Post-P weight: 122.0 (ugh!) h: 37.8", w: 28"

17wks Post-P weight: 124.0 (ugh! Chinese New Year foodie celebration - back on the wagon now)

18wks Post-P weight:

19wks Post-P weight:

20wks Post-P weight:

21wks Post-P weight:

22wks Post-P weight:

23wks Post-P weight:

Goal 110-114lbs, h: 36", w: 26"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post

I'm not really active yet - under 3 weeks out from a C. I am doing super well considering, but every time I push it too far, I pay. So no real exercise.

Knitting mama to Crabby Patty and Lovebug .

#17 of 218 Old 10-16-2011, 04:51 PM

Yeah, I'm with Jane. With my ds1 two years ago, I really pushed and overdid and I wound up bleeding, fairly heavily for over 12 weeks and I felt like crap.

I am waiting 6 weeks minimum to do anything besides housework and grocery trips. And that's with a relatively easy vaginal birth.

I actually lost 5 pounds this pregnancy (was overweight to start). I have no idea what I weigh right now, but 4 days before giving birth, I was down 5 pounds from my first prenatal. Its been that way with my other pregnancies as well. My trouble is that I usually gain 15 or so pounds after the pregnancy. BF'ing makes me ravenous and I carb binge something awful. I'm really hoping to avoid that this time, but so far, I feel like I'm headed down the same path.

#18 of 218 Old 10-16-2011, 05:14 PM

I'll join! I have weight from 2 pregnancies to lose, since I got pregnant right after a loss.  I completely lost my appetite in the 3rd trimester (when I normally gain a lot) so only gained 12 pounds with this pregnancy.  DD was born 7 lb 9 oz & when I got home from the hospital I was 10 lb down (so my placenta must have been less than 3 lb??) and have lost a couple lbs since then.  I ate like a horse (more like 3 horses!) the first week PP because I am terrified of low supply.  I'm starting to cut down a bit though because I would love to lose the weight from that previous pregnancy.  I am eating about 2000 calories a day, if I notice any supply issues I'll increase.  I've found that going low carb hurts my supply so I'm eating lots of carbs,  I'm not too active for now-- maybe a 30 minute walk on top of some light house cleaning.  I don't want to overdo things.  I have 13 lbs to lose and I know those last 10 are usually the hardest to get rid of.  My clothes don't fit right and I really can't spend money on new stuff.  I have a lot of milk right now, so far so good!  My goal weight is 135, I'm holding steady ay 148 now.

#19 of 218 Old 10-16-2011, 05:52 PM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post

You can walk, you know, to get out of the house. To go grocery shopping. To get the mail. But please, no walking to exercise. For your poor pelvic floor. Do it for me.
I am wondering how much fluid I was packing around. I'm 2 weeks post partum and down 35 pounds, -5 off pre-pregnancy. That is just odd to me. WTF? I was swollen, but not that swollen.

Jane, why do you recommend 6 weeks? I ask because my midwives said at my 1 week pp visit that I could walk a little bit if I feel up to it. (We're talking gentle strolling with baby, not speed walking or anything.) But I really, really need to get outside for mental health, so maybe they are balancing those risks.

I did spend a full week pretty much in bed and then another week taking it very easy.

In any case, it looks like I popped a stitch getting into the car and reopened half my tear, so I am not doing much of anything right now except crying and taking more sitz baths. Bleh.

Eating: My goal in the early weeks postpartum is to support a good milk supply and enjoy my return to regular insulin sensitivity, so I aim for lots of calories. I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, but  "sensible" would not describe my overall eating habits over the past two weeks. (Typed as I suck on a sour key!) I'll get back to normal eating soon, but after the extreme discipline of the last 9 months, I'm due for a little slack time. If it delays weight loss a little, I'm not too worried about that.

Weight: I gained 33 lbs during pregnancy, and have now lost somewhere between 31 and 35, depending on how recently I have nursed!

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#20 of 218 Old 10-16-2011, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

alexis - good point. I think I will wait until my 6 week pp check & ask about the metformin. I started back on it pretty much immediately after ds. Though for me the metformin does nothing to help with weightloss.

jane - I too am curious. 6 weeks just seems like an awful long time when I'm feeling pretty darn good (now with ds I had NO problem waiting well past 6 weeks to do anything but I felt AWFUL). It also would be pretty hard for me to wait 6 weeks with ds around.

pi - oy - that just cannot feel good. I hope it heals fast for you.

I am floored by how much weight some of you ladies have lost already! Wow.

For me I actually lost a total of 23lbs during the pregnancy (I was down 35lbs at one point but then gained a bit) & I am down 15lbs pp so a total of 38lbs. I would like to be down to 190lbs by the new year (which has been a forever goal for me - I never seem to get closer than 210lbs) which is very ambitious as I am currently 225lbs. I'm going to aim for it & knowing that as long as I am going down I won't be disappointed really if I miss the goal. When I reach 190lbs (whether it's before the new year or not) I am getting a tattoo! Can't wait. Although I have a sneaking suspicion tattoo's are on the list of things not to do when bfing....

Today I went for a very short stroll & we went into the city to do some errands/shopping. I feel better than I did yesterday after standing around the kitchen cooking/cleaning for the morning so I think the healing is going well. It will be so nice when I don't have so much pressure/uncomfortableness in my perineum. I must admit I'm antsy to get moving.

#21 of 218 Old 10-16-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:

Jane, I'm honestly very curious, because I haven't heard this particular reason before:  What does walking to exercise do to your pelvic floor?

Personally, I'm not going to really think about exercise at all till about 6 weeks.  My midwife said 1 week in bed, 1 week around bed/staying in the house, and I'm just barely out of that.  I'm totally up for quick shopping trips now, but I still get tired pretty quickly.  I'm going to go ahead and wait the recommended time to get back into real exercise.  Though I might consider walking with my kids to school if I'm feeling particularly adventurous. 

So, I totally have to share.  I weighed myself for the first time since birth today.  At my last appointment, 2 days before birth, I was up to 228lbs.  My prepregnancy weight was 212, but since I started exercising right before I found out I was pregnant (though I was actually pregnant the whole time, technically), I did loose some weight to start with, and my lowest weight was 207lbs.  So today, at 17 days postpartum?  206, baby!!!!!  22lbs lost already!  I almost jumped up and down and screeched, I was so happy.  :)

Granted, I have a lot further to go.  My pre-preg weight with my last baby was 177, and that was still more overweight than I would have liked to be, at that time  But honestly, if I can get back to the 170's, I'll be thrilled.  So, once those 6 weeks are over, I have GOT to get back into the habit of exercising again. I want to keep this momentum going!!

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#22 of 218 Old 10-17-2011, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

This morning I hit the weight I was just before I got pregnant for ds! That was the lowest weight I had been in several years & I had just bought a new pair of jeans. So this morning I tried on those jeans & they zipped!!!! Now the muffin top is AWFUL so they won't be worn in public anytime soon, but they zipped!

#23 of 218 Old 10-17-2011, 02:06 PM

Woo hoo, down 30 pounds today from my weigh-in the day of my induction!  That means I'm up around five pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight.  I'm still obese and I want to lose a lot more weight moving forward, but it's really encouraging that even though I gained 35 pounds in pregnancy, most of it actually wasn't fat on my butt.  

Our bodies have done amazing things this year, and gone through amazing changes.  For me, thinking about that fact is extremely motivating for future weight loss efforts.  I just made a beautiful baby - I can do this too.  

lifeguard likes this.

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#24 of 218 Old 10-19-2011, 04:54 AM

The twins are now a month old, and I finally stepped on a scale. I have lost a total of 55 lbs. I am lighter now than I was when we started this journey in 2008. I just hope the weight continues to come off, as I have about 25 lbs to go to reach my goal.

Keep up the awesome work mommas!!

K 30 married to J 40 Love being a SAHM to our IVF miracles: Jackson 08/09, Emily and Miles 09/11 Missing our lost babies 04/08, 08/10. Currently planted on a soft surface bfinfant.gifall day long.

#25 of 218 Old 10-19-2011, 06:09 AM

Running back and forth to the NICU has not left much time for eating.

2 days after birth I had already lost 15 of my 22 gained pounds.

Its now 12 days after birth and Im down another 5 pounds...yay?

Im sitting at 246 now.

Now can we all talk about the sagging skin problem?

Because I have been avoiding mirrors...its going to shrink back up right?

#26 of 218 Old 10-19-2011, 06:18 AM

I too am interested in this about walking. I will ask my own MWs their reccs of course- their patients are all NYC ladies. We live in a pedestrian-oriented city, I do not own a car, I cannot afford to take taxis around, and I walk quite a bit just for transpo going about normal life. Now, I expect to take 1 weeks where I really, really take it easy and don't leave the house much. And then weeks 2 and 3 I will be careful to take it way extra easy and ask family and friends to run errands, pick up the kids, etc. But for me to take my daughter to her babysitters house and stop by the grocery store is at least a mile of walking total.Its not going to be possible living where I do to take 6 weeks before I am walking much! I currently walk at least a mile a day, but 3 or so is more the norm, and that is me taking it easy since I am 39 weeks pregnant and lugging a 2yo everywhere with me!

#27 of 218 Old 10-19-2011, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Still pregnant here: just referring to my last pregnancy: I took a walk 4 days pp and that was a bad idea as a.) I fell over (balance issues) and b.) bleeding increased. I waited another couple of days, and then I just started taking little strolls at a very slow pace in the evening while dh held the baby. It seemed to work fine for me. 6 weeks would have been too long, mentally.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#28 of 218 Old 10-19-2011, 09:31 AM

I'm finally able to type without NAKing, so I have both hands.

I am not suggesting anyone not walk, just not walk for exercise. Only walk because you want to get from Point A to Point B. And walking gets you there. I would suggest not doing anything "for exercise" for 6 weeks. Resuming daily activities is good. Taking a week or two weeks off from the heavier stuff is good (ie, slinging wet laundry up 3 flights of stairs, toddler lifting, grocery hauling, etc). But if the laundry needs doing, it needs doing.
Of course the NY ladies are gonna walk. You have to live life. And that's returning to a daily activity.

In my experience, women who add exercising back at 3-4 weeks because they feel healed, they end up bleeding a lot longer. We know that their uterus' final healing is being delayed (Because they are bleeding).

As far as pelvic floor, the ligaments that hold the uterus back up in place are very long after childbirth. They've been securing a big ol' ute and are long. And then you have a tiny ute again. They shrink up after a couple weeks., but for a while there, everything is quite loosely held. The scaffolding is just not there yet. It's good to avoid lots of lifting and grunting and stairs and VACUUMING (so hard on the abdomen, to plant one leg and move the other and shove a big heavy vacuum around). Just til everything firms up a bit.

As a midwife, I feel like it's my job to be pretty cautious in all things. I like to be the voice of "Take care of yourself. Let it go. Be gentle to your soul and your body right now, you JUST had a baby." There are so many other forces pushing you out into the world, some of them coming from within. If I am a stern voice of caution, perhaps my clients will find the middle ground, where sanity lies.

After all, it's just advice. It's my very best advice, but it's just advice. Take it with all the other advice you get, add your experiences and knowledge and do what makes sense. I don't get offended when people don't follow my advice. It's just advice. orngbiggrin.gif
GMum and capretta like this.

#29 of 218 Old 10-19-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:

I'm finally able to type without NAKing, so I have both hands.
I am not suggesting anyone not walk, just not walk for exercise. Only walk because you want to get from Point A to Point B. And walking gets you there. I would suggest not doing anything "for exercise" for 6 weeks. Resuming daily activities is good. Taking a week or two weeks off from the heavier stuff is good (ie, slinging wet laundry up 3 flights of stairs, toddler lifting, grocery hauling, etc). But if the laundry needs doing, it needs doing.
Of course the NY ladies are gonna walk. You have to live life. And that's returning to a daily activity.
In my experience, women who add exercising back at 3-4 weeks because they feel healed, they end up bleeding a lot longer. We know that their uterus' final healing is being delayed (Because they are bleeding).
As far as pelvic floor, the ligaments that hold the uterus back up in place are very long after childbirth. They've been securing a big ol' ute and are long. And then you have a tiny ute again. They shrink up after a couple weeks., but for a while there, everything is quite loosely held. The scaffolding is just not there yet. It's good to avoid lots of lifting and grunting and stairs and VACUUMING (so hard on the abdomen, to plant one leg and move the other and shove a big heavy vacuum around). Just til everything firms up a bit.
As a midwife, I feel like it's my job to be pretty cautious in all things. I like to be the voice of "Take care of yourself. Let it go. Be gentle to your soul and your body right now, you JUST had a baby." There are so many other forces pushing you out into the world, some of them coming from within. If I am a stern voice of caution, perhaps my clients will find the middle ground, where sanity lies.
After all, it's just advice. It's my very best advice, but it's just advice. Take it with all the other advice you get, add your experiences and knowledge and do what makes sense. I don't get offended when people don't follow my advice. It's just advice. orngbiggrin.gif

#30 of 218 Old 10-19-2011, 12:37 PM

FYI everyone, thanks in part to this thread, at my 39w prenatal appt today I asked my MW what are her recommendations for postpartum rest. Knowing the realities of NYC life and having two older kids. She said, she really insists her clients not try to go back to normal activity for at least 2 weeks. She prefers they not really leave the house much for at least a week (I think in part b/c in NYC you really can't leave the house, as I said, without a fair amount of walking). She said, no subway trips (which involve multiple flights of stairs with my 2yo, baby, and whatever we need to carry with us) no taking the kids to afterschool, no popping out to the grocery store, minimize stairs as much as possible (and if I want or need to go upstairs, try to keep it to minimal amounts of trips and ask someone else to carry the baby up and down). Keep all trips within a couple of blocks at the most. After that, she said, take it easy but you can start to return to normal life if healing is going well. I am certainly not planning any vigorous exercise right away and wanted to get a sense from her of what she thinks is the time period during which I need to get other people to cover my kids activities. My husband can do the food shopping after work for 2 weeks.

I am SO IMPRESSED to hear about the PP weight loss you guys are experiencing. I hope that is how it is for me this time! The past two pregnancies, at 6w PP I seriously had lost 5-10 tops (gained 30lbs with my first, and 17 with my second. I have now gained almost 40!!! AH!!). WTF? I am going to pretty much stick to my strict diet as much as I can manage and hopefully won't see what clearly must be some rapid weight GAIN in the PP period.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page