Annika Aster Has Arrived! (Birth Story added to #1) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Birth story...in all its castor oil glory...to arrive soon.

The Basics:  Annika Aster was born at 1:17am Oct. 17 (4 days before EDD).  9 lbs. 2 oz. (smaller than her brother by 5 oz.).  Once labor actually kicked in (about 19 hours after water broke), the whole thing lasted just under 3 hours.  (Got intense quickly).  She's a little pudger, big brother is enamored (as is everyone else), and, like with DS, we're having nursing issues....she's a sleeeepy baby and a tongue thruster.  Already have an appt. set up with the LC we used last time.

THE STORY:

3:30am Sunday October 16: Half an hour after getting up to pee, I'm trying to go back to sleep when I feel a sudden small gush. Huh??!! Over the next few hours more gushes and trickles (I put on a pad). Having some contractions, but not at all strong or consistent. By wake-up time they were gone.

8:30am: I tell DH he shouldn't go play soccer cuz we might be having a baby soon. DH slept in DS's room that night, so he didn't know about my water breaking until we were all awake. I call the birth center answering service and get a call back from the one midwife I hadn't met yet. She suggests we come in at noon for a NST. My parents are called and my dad comes over to hang with DS while we do the NST.

Noon: We get to birth center for NST...still not really having contractions. NST is fine. We discuss options and then go home with 4 oz. of castor oil. Plan A: contractions just pick-up on their own. Plan B: contractions pick up with nipple stim. Plan C: castor oil milkshake.

Sunday afternoon: we tell my dad to stick around. I try nipple stim. Get contractions going, about 2 min. apart, but not really feeling strong/productive. Then they go away. Try again...same result.

6pm: Time to bite the bullet. Blend orange sherbert and milk, add 2 oz. Castor oil (wary of doing all 4 oz.). Drink it down really fast, followed by chaser of castor-oil-free milkshake. Get our stuff together and head back to birth center before any ill effects start.

9:00pm First bout of diahrrea. Then 3 more times, about every half hour. No painful stomach cramps thankfully.

10:30pm: Contractions finally seem to get going. Listening to soothing music, breathing in my aromatherapy oils. Totally manageable, until...

12:30am: Contractions getting pretty intense and I'm having to moan through them, on all fours. Thankfully this is after the midwife returns from helping another couple transfer to the hospital across the street. Midwife and nurse hear me moaning and come in. “That sounded different,” she declares. She asks if I'm happy staying on all fours on the bed. I am. This was my plan to avoid a SPD trauma from delivery. They start prepping, which is so exciting to me cuz I can tell this will be much quicker than it was with DS (4 hours of pushing). But the contractions are crazy now and I want to be done. I squeeze DH's hand so tightly with each one. Don't think I'm paying attention to the soothing Hawaiian slack-key guitar music playing in the background anymore.

Amazing how fast this went...I suddenly had the I-Have-to-Poop-Out-This-$#@&?-Bowling-Ball-Now feeling. I am totally pushing and the MW has to ask me to slow down a bit, remind me to breathe slowly between contractions. I'm yelling, with tears in my eyes, “I want it out! I want it out!” And then there's the head and then there's my baby girl. Whew! What a ride...

IMG_4348.JPG

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#2 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 05:53 PM

she looks wonderfullove.gif

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#3 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 06:08 PM

Congrats!

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#4 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 06:45 PM

Congrats!!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#5 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 07:18 PM

Congratulations!!

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

#6 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yeah! She's beautiful!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#7 of 26 Old 10-18-2011, 03:46 AM

congratulations!

dissertating mom to three

#8 of 26 Old 10-18-2011, 04:41 AM

Congrats! She is a cutie!

Chelsea, loving mama to Landon, born 11/3

#9 of 26 Old 10-18-2011, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

She is sweet. Wondering about that castor oil birth story! Congratulations.

Rosemary, married  mama to Pascal 3/08 and expecting #2 on Halloween.
#10 of 26 Old 10-18-2011, 07:05 AM

Congratulations!!

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#11 of 26 Old 10-18-2011, 07:35 AM

Ooooh!!  Sweet  little thing!  Can't wait to hear all about the castor oil lol.gif

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#12 of 26 Old 10-18-2011, 09:06 AM

Congratulations, and welcome baby Annika!  Beautiful name!  We look forward to hearing the story when you are ready, and in the mean time, hope you're all recovering well.  Hopefully nursing issues are improving as well!

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#13 of 26 Old 10-18-2011, 01:17 PM

Congratulations, and welcome to the world, Annika!  love.gif

Malcolm was super, super sleepy for the first day after birth, too (still is, most of the time!).  Hope Annika gets the hang of nursing quickly!  So glad you have a LC to help you!

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#14 of 26 Old 10-18-2011, 05:49 PM

She looks amazing!  Looking forward to hearing more!

#15 of 26 Old 10-18-2011, 11:37 PM

Congrats!
#16 of 26 Old 10-19-2011, 06:09 AM
~pi

Oh, she is just lovely!! Congratulations, and I hope the LC is helpful!

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#17 of 26 Old 10-19-2011, 06:49 AM

What a cutie! Congratulations and welcome, little one :)

#18 of 26 Old 10-20-2011, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

There's always gotta be something...

So, on Tuesday, 36 hours after Annika's birth, we had her visit check-up at the ped's (with the nurse practitioner).  During the visit I mentioned that her respirations had been over 60/minute (one of the things we were asked to keep track of by the birth center).  Her resps were in the 60's every time we counted.  The nurse did a count and got resps in the 80's (Annika is not a fan of having someone put a cold stethoscope against her chest).  She wanted us to go to the hospital and get a chest xray, even though everything sounded/looked fine otherwise.  We said ok.  We went home for lunch and before we left for the hospital the nurse called and said she had spoken to one of the docs and that instead of going to outpatient radiology, we should go to the ER for xray, bloodwork, etc.  Ok...

We get to the hospital around 3:00...and ended up being admitted around 11:30pm and staying overnight.  In the interim, everyone agreed her resps were over 60/minute, her chest xray was totally fine.  Instead of just taking her blood via a heel stick they decided they wanted to start an IV..."just in case."  What ensued was 5 DIFFERENT PEOPLE trying MULTIPLE TIMES to get a needle in one of her veins (they tried in MULTIPLE PLACES) and EVERYONE FAILED.  While I sat there saying, "Can't you just do a heel stick?" over and over.  Ultimately they had to do the heel stick and most of her blood results were fine...except her glucose was really low and some other things were high...all of which pointed to dehydration/not feeding enough.  They were told in the beginning that she was not latching well, they knew she was under 48 hours old, they knew my milk hadn't come in yet...why they didn't just do a glucose reading when we first got there in beyond me.  So, they said we had to immediately start giving her bottles of formula and re-checking her glucose levels.  If that didn't work, she'd need to receive fluids through an IV (WHO was going to start the IV, I do not know...).  So, since by then it was really late, we essentially were up all night, giving her formula every 3 hours (they said she had to have 40ml at each feeding...sometimes we got that, sometimes not quite) and her glucose reading had to come in at over 50 4 times in a row.  It was a horrible night, but thankfully she "passed" and we finally got out of there by 10:30am the next day.  But, we have to continue to give her formula (30ml) at each feeding, in addition to whatever she got from nursing, until my milk totally comes in and she's nuring consistently well.  Had a 2 hour meeting with a LC yesterday and we've had some somewhat better sessions...but she's still so sleepy during the day that I can't always get her to latch...even with all the "rouse a sleepy tricks."  But she's maintaining her weight, and though somewhat jaundiced, her numbers got better today. 

I told her this better be her only visit to the ER...at least till she's over 18 or something.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#19 of 26 Old 10-20-2011, 01:39 PM

Ugh that sounds awful. 

Glad to hear that things are looking better now!

#20 of 26 Old 10-20-2011, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am SO sorry you all had to go through this. The heel sticks alone were upsetting enough - it seems so violent the way they squeeze their little feet - I can only imagine how upsetting the iv attempts would be for you & especially her. Glad they found the trouble. I am thinking of you & hope your milk comes in real quick.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#21 of 26 Old 10-20-2011, 01:53 PM

Poor little sweetie!  I'm glad things are improving.  

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#22 of 26 Old 10-21-2011, 01:27 PM
~pi

Oh, how stressful. Glad she is ok and home now.

Newborns are apparently very tough sticks. It took five tries to get an IV in DS1 when he was a newborn.

I hope she is starting to latch more enthusiastically. In case it is helpful, a trick we were told with DS1 (and which I have never seen in any literature about getting/keeping a sleepy baby on the breast) was to wiggle your finger in the baby's ear. It's easy to do and proved to be extremely effective for us.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#23 of 26 Old 10-21-2011, 07:30 PM

Well, she's gorgeous! Congrats! The. Heel pricks are awful, right? Starting IVs? Even worse. I hope nursing keeps improving. Take care.

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

#24 of 26 Old 10-22-2011, 07:01 AM

oh how scary. glad she is home and I hope things are improving now.

dissertating mom to three

#25 of 26 Old 10-22-2011, 05:51 PM

Oh no! I'm so sorry. I'm glad you were able to get it up and get out of there. ((hugs))

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#26 of 26 Old 11-02-2011, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

updated

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page