My little Evie is finally here!! Now I'm freaking out! Her diaper pulled part of her umbilical cord out!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 10-26-2011, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So My precious little angel is a week old today! :)

I Was just changing her diaper when I noticed a little blood on the inside..Her umbilical cord is just dangling by a thread and Im pretty sure its because of her diaper. It doesn't seem to bother her but its making me cry. Should I take her to her pedi tomorrow morning or just keep cleaning it as instructed?!Little Libra 056.jpg

#2 of 22 Old 10-26-2011, 05:38 PM

Totally normal - don't worry about it. The first time that happened with Corbin, we were AT the pediatrician. It's part of the process, but gross and scary when you don't know what to expect! Corbin's fell off completely between 10-12 days I think.

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

#3 of 22 Old 10-26-2011, 05:39 PM

It should be fine. You could certainly call your ped for reassurance.

#4 of 22 Old 10-26-2011, 05:45 PM

It might be alright just as it is. I think it's pretty normal for them to fall off around a week old.  I would probably watch it and keep cleaning it however you've been doing and see if it dries up.  If it's not healing well, it'll get stinky and keep oozing for days and days.

My older son's got caught in his diaper and ripped off when he was just 4 days old, and it did get stinky and wasn"t drying up. The pedi ended up treating it and it was fine after that.

Congratualtions on your little girl!!!  She's beautiful!!

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
#5 of 22 Old 10-26-2011, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

She's really beautiful! Congratulations!

P.S. I found my son's umbilical cord (shriveled, dried, mummified) when he was around 1, behind the changing table. 

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#6 of 22 Old 10-26-2011, 06:29 PM

Call the 24-hour nurse line (if there is one) and they will talk to you. I called those nurses a lot with my first and they were so reassuring. Good advice, and they will have you come in if needed. It's probably fine. Umbilical cord is kind of gross no matter what.

Congratulations! She is sweet.

dissertating mom to three

#7 of 22 Old 10-26-2011, 07:33 PM

Congrats on your sweet daughter!  My baby's umbilical cord came off with her diaper when she was five days old.  Before that it had bled a little, which really bothered me, but seems to have amounted to nothing, since it's healing just fine now.  

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#8 of 22 Old 10-26-2011, 07:43 PM

That is totally normal. Also you don't need to do anything to care for it, it takes care of itself.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#9 of 22 Old 10-26-2011, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Dd's was torn off my her carseat straps (I think - it was fine before we put her in the carseat) at 3 days but she seemed to be just fine & it healed nicely. It was kind of a relief to not have to deal with the stinkiness that ds' had become.

Btw - we named our dd's the same name!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#10 of 22 Old 10-27-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

P.S. I found my son's umbilical cord (shriveled, dried, mummified) when he was around 1, behind the changing table. 

Eeewww!!! Hahahaha!

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

#11 of 22 Old 10-27-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

Eeewww!!! Hahahaha!

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

#12 of 22 Old 10-27-2011, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

thank you all so much! it fell off completly this morning and it seems to be fine!! /her ped said theres no nerve endings there so she didnt feel a thing! being a new mommy for the first time is so scary!! i feel like im doing everything wrong!

and thank you again for the wonderful coments :) i am blessed with such a sweet and beautiful baby girl! she rarely cries and sleeps enought that i can get atleast my normal 8 hours in too!!

@Lifegaurd, thats awesome!! its such a cute name! glad to know someone else thinks so too! :)

#13 of 22 Old 10-27-2011, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post

That is totally normal. Also you don't need to do anything to care for it, it takes care of itself.

so no swabbing it with alcohol??

#14 of 22 Old 10-27-2011, 12:23 PM
~pi

Congratulations!! She is lovely! And ditto all the "it's normal" comments.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#15 of 22 Old 10-27-2011, 03:09 PM

Congrats!!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#16 of 22 Old 10-27-2011, 03:14 PM

Congratulations to you! She's gorgeous!

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#17 of 22 Old 10-27-2011, 03:38 PM

Congratulations! She is beautiful :) 

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

#18 of 22 Old 10-28-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilyann View Post

so no swabbing it with alcohol??

I was also told with my last that the AAP recommends not doing anything with it (no cleaning and/or swabbing with alcohol) She said they still had to "recommend" doing it once or twice a day because they are slow to change! LMAO. 

I didn't do it at all with A after hearing that - and it was fine. MUCH less trouble let me tell you.

OP - your baby is adorable! :joy 

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#19 of 22 Old 10-29-2011, 07:51 PM

my mw said not to do anything and 5 kiddos later it still turns out just fine. When it gets hard I move it around a bit just so it isn't stuck to her skin but I don't put a thing on it and they have all healed up great and yeah they dangle a lot and look gooey but I think that is just part of the process.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#20 of 22 Old 11-01-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie2186 View Post

I was also told with my last that the AAP recommends not doing anything with it (no cleaning and/or swabbing with alcohol) She said they still had to "recommend" doing it once or twice a day because they are slow to change! LMAO. 

I didn't do it at all with A after hearing that - and it was fine. MUCH less trouble let me tell you.

OP - your baby is adorable! joy.gif 

This is from the book the hospital gave me: http://www.inspq.qc.ca/tinytot/sections/TT2011_Baby.pdf#page=12

Umbilical cord
At birth the umbilical cord is white. It darkens while drying out and usually falls off by itself between the 7th and 20th days, although it may hold on for a month.

Caring for the umbilical cord
A clean umbilical cord neither smells nor leaks. If in doubt, ask a health professional.
• Clean around the umbilical cord every day until the navel heals.
• Gently wash the area with a Q-Tip-type cotton swab soaked in lukewarm water. Don’t use alcohol, which will delay the cord’s departure.

DS' fell off yesterday (9 days old).

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

#21 of 22 Old 11-03-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all on the lovely comments about evie!! She's such a good baby!

I took ya'lls advice and stopped using the alcohol and I can tell a difference!! I know its supposed to scab up but I notice when I cleaned it, the scab was much worse than it is now that I've left it alone! I do try to wash it gently with warm water when she gets her baths but so far so good! The nurses at my hospital told me how vital it was to clean it and it's really not obviously. But I hate those nurses anyways, my hospital experience was not a pleasant one....everything they said and did was wrong to the point the my doctor went off on all of them.

You know they had the nerve to tell me that if 'i started bleeding to go to the ER" I just gave birth! You're supposed to bleed!!!! They od'ed me on the epidural medication, they didn't start my pitocin when they were supposed to, they ended up just turning off the epidural so I kind of got to experience a natural birht to a point and to all of you ladies who took that route, I salute you. I wanted to do it naturally but after hours of puking and shaking I opted for the epidural, which didnt help much anyways! And when I came in because my water broke, they tried to send me home!!! I really think with my next pregnancy going with a midwife and trying the home birth. I've never been so upset in my life!

#22 of 22 Old 11-07-2011, 11:38 AM

goodness, sorry you had such poor care/communication at the hospital. those kind of stories make me mad- there is no reason for nurses and doctors to be treating women this way.

dissertating mom to three

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page