How long/often does your baby nurse? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-26-2011, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD is 2.5 weeks old. She has taken to nursing less than 10 minutes in a sitting, and then she's hungry constantly and not getting much hind milk. I started pumping a little before she eats to get her more hind milk, but I'm curious if the short sessions are typical for a baby this young.

#2 of 13 Old 10-26-2011, 06:05 PM

I have to wonder that too. DS originally was eating for 20-30 minutes in a sitting, and only on one side. In the last couple days he's started to eat for much shorter periods of time, and more frequently. I think he's still getting enough hind milk, but it's a little frustrating. I've tried waking him up because he tends to fall asleep during feedings, but he still doesn't want to nurse again, even if I give him the other side. He's 8 days old now.

I can't give you any advice, but maybe it's normal if both our babies are doing it? :P

Mom to Eli babyboy.gif 10/18/11 and loving wife to Derrin. heartbeat.gif 

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

#3 of 13 Old 10-26-2011, 06:32 PM

If you aren't seeing any issues with her poop she could still be getting enough hindmilk.  Owen went through a whole frustrating thing recently where he would only nurse for about 10 minutes and wanted to eat again within 5-10 minutes of finishing.  I chalked it up to a growth spurt, and he's over it now.  This was the same behavior my other kids went through early on when they hit a growth spurt :)

Wife to PJ. Mommy to Jacob, Summer, & Owen.
#4 of 13 Old 10-26-2011, 07:49 PM

Continue to feed on the same side till it is emptyish then the other side. So if your lo nurses for 10min on the left then wants to nurse in 20 min keep the on the left. This will insure they get hind milk. This is what our dr suggested w ds1. I also found if I nursed him in a carrier while I moved around he would nurse for longer.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#5 of 13 Old 10-26-2011, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Dd is very similar (which is such a change from ds). I feed 2-4 times on one side & then switch.

Also, I have pumped on occasion & can get 4oz in under 5 minutes - bfing is supposed to be more efficient than pumping so I know those short sessions actually mean a fair bit of milk.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#6 of 13 Old 10-27-2011, 05:04 AM

nak

they get better and faster at nursing as they get older, they become very efficient at getting the milk out. as long as they have at least 3 poopy diapers (yellow, not green... green and frothy or mucousy indicates too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk) and 6 or more soaking diapers, they should be fine. best indication is weight gain. 

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#7 of 13 Old 10-27-2011, 12:20 PM
~pi

It's a (widely held) myth that they need to nurse for a certain amount of time to get hindmilk. If her diapers are fine, she's getting hindmilk.

But if she is falling asleep and you want her to nurse more, try wiggling a finger in her ear.

For what it's worth, both my boys have nursed in irregular patterns as newborns. My first nursed for much longer each nursing session; my second has been nursing in shorter sessions. Both gained weight just fine.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#8 of 13 Old 10-27-2011, 02:38 PM

my first was a fast and efficient nurser. the second a little lazier and I used to "pump" her arm which would for some reason get her to start sucking again. I also don't worry too much about nursing on both sides, in fact, I tend to feed on one side per feeding, or as others have said, for multiple feedings if they are close together, only offering the second if baby seems particularly hungry. They do go through spurts where they increase the frequency of nursing for a couple of days. Both my kids gained weight fine and pooped and peed a lot, that is more important IME than what pattern they are having.

If you have overactive letdown then pumping off some at the beginning can help. I have a friend who pretty much had to do that all along- was frustrating but it did help her daughter latch and nurse better.

dissertating mom to three

#9 of 13 Old 10-27-2011, 04:32 PM

DS turned 2 weeks today. He nurses every 1 1/2-3 hours during the day (almost always closer to 1 1/2 hours, rarely does he go closer to 3 hours). At night he has one 3-4 hour period of sleep but other than that he nurses around every 2 hours at night. During the evenings (7pm-10pm) he tends to nurse constantly (every 30 minutes sometimes).

He has a really hard time latching on still. Sometimes it takes him 15-20 minutes of trying to actually get latched on (especially at night time). More often than not, I have a letdown before he's latched on (so I basically spray into a burp cloth). I was really concerned that he wasn't going to get enough milk if he was always missing the letdown but he's gaining weight (born 8lb 12oz, today at 2 weeks he's 9lb 4oz) and he has plenty of wet/dirty diapers so I guess it's not affecting him too much. Once he's latched on he will nurse FOREVER. Sometimes I have to stop him after 40 or 50 minutes because I get sore duh.gif

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#10 of 13 Old 10-27-2011, 04:35 PM

Aura is all over the place.  We feed about 10 times a day, sometimes for 15 minutes, other times for almost two hours.  She's gaining weight and her diapers are on target, but man, it feels like all I do is feed her.  I've started to pump some so DH can take over some of the middle of the nights on rough nights.  Didn't think I would take that route, but mommy needs sleep!!!!!

After our pediatrician looks at her diaper rash, he suggested we put some mylanta on it, because perhaps my milk/her poop was too acidic and was causing some irritation.  Anyone else with this issue?  The mylanta on the rash has seemed to help the rawness.  Poor thing's bottom was so red.

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#11 of 13 Old 10-27-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livacreature View Post

After our pediatrician looks at her diaper rash, he suggested we put some mylanta on it, because perhaps my milk/her poop was too acidic and was causing some irritation.  Anyone else with this issue?  The mylanta on the rash has seemed to help the rawness.  Poor thing's bottom was so red.

Kai had a bit of a red butt too. We changed the wipes we were using to Pampers Sensitive and we put Destin Creamy on him at every diaper change for about 2 days. His butt is much better now (we're still using the sensitive wipes but not the butt cream).

With my older ds I remember using mylanta mixed with something else.... some sort of lotion? I'm drawing a blank now. The combination worked really well the one time he had a severe diaper rash (caused by an illness where he had horrible diarrhea).

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#12 of 13 Old 10-27-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livacreature View Post

Aura is all over the place.  We feed about 10 times a day, sometimes for 15 minutes, other times for almost two hours.  She's gaining weight and her diapers are on target, but man, it feels like all I do is feed her.  I've started to pump some so DH can take over some of the middle of the nights on rough nights.  Didn't think I would take that route, but mommy needs sleep!!!!!

We literally just went to the ped over the same thing this week!  I have thrush so i thought that was what the diaper rash was but nope...acidic poop.  We bought a diaper rash cream they sell at Babies'R'Us that is medical strength and after just two days his bottom is back to normal :).  We also had triple paste with aloe suggested, and after looking at the ingredients I think the Burts Bees one would work really well.  But we went with one that would work quickly because his butt was almost bleeding from being so raw :(

Wife to PJ. Mommy to Jacob, Summer, & Owen.
#13 of 13 Old 10-27-2011, 06:38 PM

So after posting about being concerned he wasn't nursing for long enough... little man has been nursing on and off since 8:15, and it's now 9:40. Every time he falls asleep and pops off the breast, he wakes up within five minutes and goes right back on again. He gave me a hickey on my chest looking for the nipple when I didn't get it to him fast enough!

Mom to Eli babyboy.gif 10/18/11 and loving wife to Derrin. heartbeat.gif 

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page