Chat Thread 10/30-11/5 - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 106 Old 11-07-2011, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Katico- You sound so unbelievably happy. Can you believe she's really here after all that time thinking you'd be pregnant forever? Congrats on the milk, that's so exciting! You go mama.

Mom to Eli babyboy.gif 10/18/11 and loving wife to Derrin. heartbeat.gif 

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

#92 of 106 Old 11-07-2011, 05:55 PM

Katico - Yay for Milkies!!  While I didn't have any supply issues with DS, this time around has already been different.  Let-down happens much quicker and it's been happening without DD even latched on sometimes...sometimes when we're in two different rooms and I hear her crying.  It reminds me of when my playgroup mommy friends took me out to dinner at the end of my pregnancy and as we got up from the table to leave, one mommy who has a 6 month old (at home with daddy at the time), said "Oh!  I just started leaking.  Guess my boobs knew we were going home to feed Rita."

Rosemary - Hope your DD isn't sick.  It's so hard not to obsess over every little bit of baby behavior.  I'm wondering if DD isn't nursing enough cuz she so often can go 3 hours (or more) without eating.  I do try to make sure she eats at least every 3 hours during the day...but more like 4-5 overnight.

AFM - DH goes back to work tomorrow....oh, how I've been dreading this.  Will I be able to get up at 7am and get DS to school in time??  Guess we'll find out in about 12 hours.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#93 of 106 Old 11-07-2011, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

YEAH Katico!!!! I am so happy for you & dd!!!

Rosemary - I hope your friend pulls through. How terrible for his family.

not_telling - it can be scary to have them all alone - but it'll be ok. It seems we are never given more than we can manage.

afm - dd is 1 month today!!! We had her 1st appt with my family dr who wasn't overly pleased this was the 1st - apparently we were supposed to go at 1 & 2 weeks oh well. She has gained nearly 3lbs (yeah bm!!!) & is the 97th percentile for height & weight. No push for vaccinations today, she just gave me handouts & we'll discuss it next time. We've done a very modified schedule with ds with minimal vax's & will likely do the same again - so nice to have a dr who is on board with that. Unfortunately I found out they will not even consider clipping her lip tie when she is gaining so well - apparently my comfort doesn't matter at all - sigh. Oh well, I managed 32 months of it with ds so I can do it again - guess I'll just never be a sleep through a feeding mama.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#94 of 106 Old 11-07-2011, 07:28 PM

Katico- Wooooohoooooo!!! Yeah for milk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#95 of 106 Old 11-07-2011, 08:10 PM
~pi

Emma, hooray, Vera! We have a similar thing: he needs to eat, so we wake for that, but he doesn't wake and cry, stay up, etc., all of which DS1 did. It's so nice to have a sensible baby. (Touch wood that he stays this way.)

Rosemary, many, many good thoughts for your friend.

Katico, you sound so happy! Congrats on the milk!! For what it's worth, I didn't have low supply with DS1, but we had a rough start, my milk didn't come in until day 8, and when it did, I had what I called, "just enough supply." I never leaked, never got engorged, never felt a letdown, and didn't go up in size much. So, lots of apparently normal aspects of nursing that just didn't happen. This time? Leaking, engorgement, and WOW, letdown is painful. It's so weird to have the side that he is not currently using hurt like that. And I'm up three or four cup sizes, so had to get new nursing bras. (Tape would not be enough.) So the idea that it can be different/better with a subsequent baby is really ringing true for me.

not_telling, good luck tomorrow!

lifeguard, can you find someone else who will do it? We have a very mild tongue tie here and my MW suggested a breastfeeding clinic where they will clip it right there. Call me crazy, but I think that the mother's comfort is really important.

Has anyone else who has or got one been using the tummy tub? I am really liking it. Though my kid did stand up in it today (he is a strong, tall kiddo and he pushes off everything with his legs right now) which kind of freaked me out. Fortunately, the tub seems to be really well designed with a low center of mass, because the thing didn't move.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#96 of 106 Old 11-07-2011, 08:16 PM

Katico, so happy for you!  Hope that milk keeps on comin'!  :)

Lifeguard, I still haven't taken Malcolm to the doctor - I meant to, I even made DH get on the ball with putting him on insurance (crappy as it is), so I could call and make an appointment... but then the urgency left me, and I've gotten "meh" about it.  Now he's almost 6 weeks old (if you can believe that!).  Gah.  I better get on it soon.  Hopefully my doc doesn't give me a bad time about it.  ;)  Silly that your doc won't consider fixing a lip tie, though.  Is there nowhere you can go to take care of that?

Everyone else... so sorry I am too lazy/tired to do more personals.  I feel so lame.  It's so hard to talk about everything when I get so far behind, though.  :(

AFM, had a crazy busy weekend with my parents in town, and special church events for my oldest AND my youngest.  It was all fun and lovely, though, and my parents who normally annoy me to death were actually fairly pleasant while they were here.  I wish their love language wasn't gifts, though... I always feel like they're buying my kids' love, or even my own, even when they're buying benign things like shoes and watches and lunches at fun restaurants.  And speaking of restaurants, it was the first time I took Malcolm to one, and also the first time he had a major poop blowout requiring a clothing change while we were out of the house.  Yay?  I felt so bad while he screamed in the echo-y bathroom while I changed all his layers.  But I nursed at the table with nobody batting an eye, so that's a plus.  ;)  Last night was the end of the busiest day, and I was soooo ready to sleep at 11pm... and Malcolm woke up just before we could get to bed.  He didn't go back to sleep until 1am, despite us pulling out all the tricks we had up our sleeves.  However, once he did sleep, he slept SOLIDLY until just after 7am, and I hadn't nursed him in the last couple hours I had been trying to get him to sleep.  That kid went more than 8 hours overnight without nursing!  I was both amazed and slightly nervous when I thought about it in the morning.  He's been nursing more frequently today to make up for it, though.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#97 of 106 Old 11-08-2011, 04:25 AM

Katico, that is FANTASTIC! I am so happy for you.

Doctor: we are going to go tomorrow (12 days). With my second, I went once at 4 weeks and didn't take her again until she was 2y3m. Eek. We have medicaid for this baby, its weird, she gets her own card but its just "infant" with my last name. I called to check and they said she can use it like that until her birth certificate comes, then I go to the office and get her enrolled officially. Anyway. I am not anti-vaccination, though we've done very little so far with our second child (our first is fully vaccinated, which is required for school here, unless you do a religious exemption, which we do not). But, we like our doctor a lot- he totally doesn't push vaccinations though he recommends a few (how refreshing, he has actual rationale for WHY he recommends the ones he does too) and then he said b.c the state laws here are very strict on vaccination, that about 12-18m before the kids start official school, we get them up to date for the school requirements (which are not as many as the CDC anyway) and then go from there, making decisions based on what seems best for our child and family.

ALRIGHT, DD wants to read books so I should be a good mom and get off the computer :)

Love hearing about everyone's babies. Sorry I don't have time or energy for personals.

dissertating mom to three

#98 of 106 Old 11-08-2011, 07:59 AM

The lip-tie: there is only one place in this entire area (ie. eastern ontario) that does it & they won't. So if I wanted to do it we'd have to go quite a ways away & probably have to pay - we just don't have a trip in the budget right now, so I really don't have another option. If it was really crucial we could make it happen but in reality it's just not as comfortable as other people report & I have to be super careful of latch. Sigh. Sometimes covered health care is not quite the promise it seems.

So frustrated with dd's crying at night. She SCREAMED while at the doctor's yesterday & the doctor took her from me, pulled her arms in tight & put her hand in her mouth & she settled & sucked away. I felt like such an idiot but I tried that about 12 times last night & it didn't work at all! I even went & bought a different type of pacifier yesterday to try & again all she does is get angrier when I try to give it. I feel so incompetent.

#99 of 106 Old 11-08-2011, 08:38 AM

Katico -- Yay for milk!

Things seem a bit better for me on the milk front as well.  I can only guess that my supply has increased this week, as DD is taking less formula.  She was taking about 18oz/day, but the last few days she's been eating more like 12.  That would mean she's getting more than half her intake from me, which would be awesome!  I'm going to try to swing by the Ped office for a weigh today -- I have to go to my OB in the same building to get my c-section incision looked at (it seems infected). I'll be sad if she's not gaining, but she's eating as much as she wants to so I can't imagine why else her formula intake would drop.

I haven't taken dom yet, but if I'm producing that much milk without it it may be worth it to try to see if I could get close to a full supply.  It helped last time, but it made me a little nervous to take it without medical supervision and my supply was SO low that it hardly seemed worth it.

My OB gave me a scrip for Reglan.  I never tried it last time because I was already depressed and didn't want to risk it.  But this scrip is only for a few days... I can't find anything online about such a small dose actually helping milk supply, but everything I can find also indicates that most of the side effects come with prolonged use. Not sure if I'm going to take it or not.  I guess it couldn't hurt?  It seems to be standard protocol in my HMO practice to prescribe this dose...  So annoying that dom isn't easily available in the US.

#100 of 106 Old 11-08-2011, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

BIA--i'm coining a new abbreviation here--Babe In Arms--another 1 handed typing disclaimer.

Katico--i loved your whole post. wow--milk after no milk--i can't imagine the elation!

my milk's presence isn't a problem, it's the past 2 days of iona's almost constant sleeping and disinterest in eating that has me SO uncomfortable. she's poopi ng/peeing fine but i guess i've made too much? 7 oz above birth weight at day 10 so not starving. somewhat fast heartrate. i've not had a great day.

Rosemary, married  mama to Pascal 3/08 and expecting #2 on Halloween.
#101 of 106 Old 11-08-2011, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Katico!  I'm thrilled to hear about your milkiness!  That is awesome news!  Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!

Dollyanna ... Domperidone is often regularly prescribed to boost milk supply here in Canada, so our country has decided that it's okay.  If you want to follow the typical Canadian protocol, look up Dr. Jack Newman's site and see his domperidone protocol.  I take 30mgs four times a day, which is actually less than I took last time.  I do think it's worth getting your hands on, if you can! 

Hello everyone else! 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#102 of 106 Old 11-08-2011, 04:13 PM

Congrats on the milk Katico!  Similar here - borderline low supply with DD1, never had much in the way of leaking or engorgement, had to supplement a small amount when I was home for weight gain and more when I went back to work and inevitably couldn't pump enough.  This time things seem to be working right though, weight gain looking good.  Call me weird but I love how I can tell when it's time to feed the baby bc my boobs hurt. :)  And life is SO much easier without the endless cycle of feed-supp-pump-wash-rinse-repeat, and not having to deal with packing formula when going out, etc.

(Side note I see our DDs are the same ages also - mine also thinks the baby is hers and wants to hold, feed, change, etc. which is adorable but comes with its own set of problems.)

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#103 of 106 Old 11-08-2011, 05:25 PM

Lifeguard if you can get to Toronto Jack Newman does a pay what you can visit - he snipped my daughters

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#104 of 106 Old 11-08-2011, 06:20 PM

saoirse - interesting. My lc actually called him & spoke to him about us & he said to just focus on latch - didn't seem to think it was something worth looking into. She was actually quite disappointed in him. I'm really conflicted about it - she is doing just fine but then sometimes it is so bloody uncomfortable for me I wonder why I wouldn't do it.

#105 of 106 Old 11-09-2011, 04:35 AM

lifeguard - i was in pain with my first as well - i used to sit on my hands and bite a towel while dh latched him on - i sat on my hands because it hurt sooo much i thought that i might accidentally hurt the baby :(

with dd my nipples were split in 3 and dd was half vampire from the bleeding! Newman used to work out of my old mw's office so it was easy to see him - he snipped her right in the office - he thought that my son probably had the same problem but it was missed

either way it got easier - i nursed both kids over the age of 2 :)

not having serious pain this time, but i learned a great latch technique from him that helped alot!!!

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#106 of 106 Old 11-09-2011, 10:59 AM

saoirse - thank you - I called his clinic & it's super easy to get in. Of course they cannot confirm it needs to be clipped without seeing her but they will clip it even though she is gaining well. Now I just need to figure out how to get to Toronto.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page