Chat Thread 10/30-11/5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 106 Old 10-30-2011, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here is our new chat thread for the week!

Chelsea, loving mama to Landon, born 11/3

#2 of 106 Old 10-30-2011, 03:08 PM

My water broke this morning!  I went in to make sure everything looked good (no prolapsed cord and alla that), and baby and I both were fine . . . but I'm not exactly speeding through labor.  Some contractions, as close as every 10 minutes, but not very severe - like I can hardly tell when I'm having them.

So now I'm playing with my nipples, which isn't nearly as fun as it could be . . . and I'm going back to the hospital in a couple of hours.  I like and trust my doctor, and I'm happy that I'll be meeting my baby soon one way or another.  Feeling a little bit anxious, but not too much.  I'm sure it will all be good in the end!

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#3 of 106 Old 10-30-2011, 03:25 PM

Yeah Hykue :)

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#4 of 106 Old 10-30-2011, 04:06 PM

Go Hykue! 

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

#5 of 106 Old 10-30-2011, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Yay Hykue!!!

Nothing going on here. Still just waiting around......looks like I will be going to work tomorrow.

#6 of 106 Old 10-30-2011, 05:15 PM

ack Chelsea, would be nice not to have to go to work!

And go Hykue- can't wait to hear the news soon.

dissertating mom to three

#7 of 106 Old 10-30-2011, 05:42 PM
~pi

Hooray, Hykue! Can't wait to hear your update!

CB, sorry you are still waiting, but I hope you have a good day at work.

Katico, sorry you are still waiting, too. (I wondered, but then saw your post in the still pregnant thread.) If you do end up with an induction, I hope you have an easier time of it this time.

Rosemary, thinking of you and hoping all is going well!

AFM, I've had a few too many rough nights in a row here. Last night I had to babysit my blood sugar until quite late, which really annoyed me. I don't need more things keeping me up right now! But I got a good nap this afternoon so am feeling more like myself again. Good thing, as Hallowe'en is quite the event in our neighbourhood, so I will need to have lots of energy tomorrow. We're in a densely populated, mixed income, urban area, and some of my neighbours apply to shut down part of the street to traffic every year, other neighbours hire a flame thrower, and everyone gets into it as much as they can. It's my favourite time of year -- it's such a great way to bring a community together in a big city.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#8 of 106 Old 10-30-2011, 06:35 PM

Pi, sounds really fun! We're in a new neighborhood this year so I'm curious to see what kind of traffic we'll get. My son, aka Mr. Halloween-All-Year -Round, is going to be a vampire. He is sooooo excited!

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

#9 of 106 Old 10-30-2011, 06:49 PM

Hykue! You're going to meet your baby soon!

Chelsea & Beth, hang in there, you are too!

AFM, in laws arrived from nyc this afternoon. Palesa is being so spoiled by two very thrilled grandparents bad slept in their arms while I took a nearly 2 hour nap. Total bliss. Dh and FIL any to legal seafoods and bought live lobster. Dh just cooked a feast.of lobster, homemade naan, wild rice, some delicious seafood salsa, sauteed veggies. In laws brought a pie from the Littlest Pie Company in new York. It is a very special evening.

I forgot tomorrow is Halloween. I have spent the last week in a bubble and it is wonderful. Speaking of, I can not believe exactly a week ago I was in early labor.

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#10 of 106 Old 10-30-2011, 07:02 PM

Go Hykue!

Sorry things still haven't gotten going Katico.

AFM: This baby STTN last night. Seriously. EIGHT HOURS.  bigeyes.gif And then we woke up, nursed for an hour, and slept another 2.5 hours (thank you DH for keeping DD1 quiet).  It was insane.  Really crap for my milk supply and her weight gain, but freaking amazing otherwise.  So I guess I'll be setting an alarm tonight on the off chance it happens again. I'm still in shock.

We went to a neighborhood Halloween party today.  First non-Dr-appt outing with the baby was a success - she slept in the pouch the whole time smile.gif

#11 of 106 Old 10-30-2011, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

pi - that sounds really great. We've skipped Halloween again this year. Ds gets so crazy overstimulated in big groups so we decided not to bring him to the party last night (plus he in no way would consent to dressing up) & now that we're in the country trick or treating won't be happening. Oh well, maybe next year - luckily he is still young enough he doesn't know what he's missing.

dollyanna - that's quite amazing!

I have been crocheting! With ds I crafted away while pregnant but this time I was just not feeling it for some reason but all of a sudden I feel it. I made dd a warm hat last night & tonight I did one for ds. Dh has made a request now.

Ok, is anyone else having a hard time feeling they will ever be attractive again? I didn't have these worries after ds but I think because dh has recently lost so much weight & is looking so good it's different this time. My boobs are so saggy, my belly is worse, my perineum is healing oddly & I have hemorrhoids. Sigh. btw - do hemorrhoids go away or is this now a permanent concern?

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#12 of 106 Old 10-30-2011, 08:39 PM

Hyuke, excited for you! 

Halloween:  Kids are very excited!  We had a fun Halloween-themed dinner with my IL's today.  Tomorrow my 2 oldest get to go on a costume parade with their WHOLE school (550-ish kids!) down main street of our town, just a few blocks away, where merchants will hand out candy (provided by the city).  I guess it's a 44-year-old tradition!  Then they get their classroom parties, and we're doing Trick-or-Treating in the evening, which we haven't done in a few years, actually.  Malcolm was given a bunch of used clothing, and in it was a NB sized fuzzy hooded romper - with antlers on top.  So he'll get to tag along as a snuggly warm reindeer.  :)

Sleeping at night:  Malcolm's been mostly kind to us, too!  Last night he slept somewhere around 6 hours for his first stretch, then another 3.  Nights like that make me feel perfectly human the next day.  ;)  I've never had a kid sleep so long at night like this, it's amazing.  Hoping it means he'll always sleep so nicely?  I can hope, right??

DH ended up being sick today, some sort of stomach bug.  Not cool.  I had already decided that today, just over 1month PP, would be my first time going back to church.  Wasn't looking forward to tackling it with all 4 kids and no DH, but it went pretty darn smoothly, thank goodness!  I even got there on time.  :)  It was fun to have massive amounts of people come to ooh and ahh over baby.  And I had him tucked in his carrier the whole time, so we avoided any unwanted touching (so afraid of germs in crowded indoor situations!).  DH spent all day in bed, but he's starting to feel better now... hopefully 1) he won't get the rest of us sick, and 2) he's well enough for Halloween fun tomorrow.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#13 of 106 Old 10-30-2011, 09:52 PM

Back home again for the night, going back in when labor picks up or in the morning for some prostaglandins . . . doo de doo de doo . . .

Leiahs - I think I incorporated your son into a dream I had the other night.  My son was about 10 and wanted to play with another 10-year-old boy at a party that we were at.  I encouraged him to go and ask and not be shy, and he did, and they played.  The boy's name was Malcolm.  When I woke up I couldn't remember who in the DDC had a son named Malcolm, but I knew where the name had come from anyway.  And you know, your baby could very well grow up to look like the boy in my dream.

Katico - assuming you're still reading along (unless, maybe, you're in labor - we can hope) I felt a bit bad even posting that things were happening on my due date, thinking of you going nuts over there a week past due.  I hope you get your baby into the world at large pronto!

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#14 of 106 Old 10-30-2011, 10:26 PM

Hi all,

My baby, Willa Blythe, arrived on October 27 and DH and I are totally in love.   You might remember that I was planning a homebirth but timed out, and went into the hospital for induction.   A lot of what I was worried about happened-- and cascaded into a c-section and then my postpartum stay in the hospital wasn't much better.  I'm sad, but very glad to be home, away from all of it and know that in time, I'll deal and having my baby safe in my arms makes it all worth it.

Take care all!

#15 of 106 Old 10-31-2011, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

puente- Congrats!! Sorry you didn't have the birth you wanted, but so happy you have a sweet baby now!

Halloween- No plans for me. I have candy I will give out if I get any trick or treaters. I live in an apartment complex, so not sure if I will get any. I can't wait to spend halloween with my little guy next year.

I have a lot more to write, but need to get ready for work, considering I have to be there by 7.........

#16 of 106 Old 10-31-2011, 05:27 AM

Willa Blythe is SUCH a sweet name - congrats!!!

Don't feel guilty about me, girls - I've just been feeling sorry for myself!  I have my appt today and I am hoping I have dilated enough that they can skip the extra day or so the gel will take and skip right to the induction.  Fingers crossed.  If this is the way it's gonna be I just want to get it done with!

The birthday cake was delicious and I spent lots of money at the yarn shop.  DH took me out for supper and we went for a long drive and actually had a chance to talk - things have been so crazy and busy, it was nice to actually reconnect.  He's forgiven lol.gif

Going out for coffee this morning, then carving DD's pumpkin (she's very excited) and getting everything ready

Just think - in the next week or two we'll all have our babies!

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#17 of 106 Old 10-31-2011, 06:10 AM

Katico, glad you got a nice bday celebration after all. My DH forgot my birthday this year and it felt so bad! I don't want presents or anything but just remembering would be nice at least. And I think my girl shares your bday after all- 28th?

Puente, congratulations on your little girl. So sorry that she and your uterus did not cooperate with the schedule. But I hope you are all doing well now!

We are doing okay here. DS is Tintin for Halloween. He looks just like him it's so cute. He wasn't supposed to wear a costume to school but we sanctioned him breaking therules b/c technically it's just clothes... A blue sweater with rolled up sleeves, brown pants rolled up, and gel in his hair. DD thinks the baby should be tintin too. She wants to be "a fancy girl in a skirt" or maybe a train driver. I am skipping it and letting DH take them to a small party at a little park then a few houses near us.

Today is DH's last day off. He is taking DD to see a bunch of cool Halloween pumpkins at this indoor market, and then a cool park. So, hopefully I can rear a little. I am really tired.

Lifeguard I totally relate. Unfortunately there is an oddly placed mirror where you can see yourself on the toilet. Perhaps one of the most unattractive views one can have. Sigh. Baby was just born Friday so I am trying to just set all this aside for now.

Herniated umbilical cord? Anyone have a kid with his before? MW says it normally goes away, trying not to worry about it...

#18 of 106 Old 10-31-2011, 06:37 AM

Congrats, Puente....and sorry homebirth was not in the cards for you this time.  Love the name!

Halloween - Going to DS's preschool in a little bit for their indoor parade.  DS is a strawberry.  My mom and her best friend made him an awesome costume (yet again).  Tonight he'll go trick or treating for the first time.  There's a huge neighborhood parade that we did last year but will skip this year.  You should see the kids swarming...I mean trick or treating...on the blocks that are on the parade route.  It's crazy.  Literally like a swarm of ants. 

Gonna go have coffee before we have to go...

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#19 of 106 Old 10-31-2011, 07:41 AM
~pi

Congratulations, puente!!! joy.gif Sorry for the cascade, but it sounds like you are head over heels in love with your little girl. Love her name!

Katico, sounds like a lovely birthday celebration.

lifeguard, I am totally with you. I felt fantastic in the first couple of weeks, and then everything caught up with me, and now I am feeling overwhelmed with how much work I have to do to get back into shape. I am trying to remember that it takes time, and this is normal, but I have trouble being patient with these things. And it does not help that I have spent the past month eating everything I can see. I am so hungry this time! I was not like this when DS1 was a newborn.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#20 of 106 Old 10-31-2011, 10:11 AM

lifeguard - oh my gosh, I know exactly how you feel. I've never been in good shape, and I was way overweight going into this pregnancy. BUT I knew my husband thought I was sexy. Now... he woke up to me in tears last night, and got this volatile chunk of conversation: "I feel like you're never going to like my body again. You hate my chest cuz it's got milk coming out now, you won't want to have sex because everything looks and feels different down there. I've lost 25 lbs but the only thing that'll do for me is make my ass get smaller and then you won't like anything about me anymore." His response: "Oh crap." And then he tried to make me feel better. It's kinda funny, but it sucks so bad.

puente - Congratulations! I'm sorry things didn't work out well, but that baby's gonna make it all worth it.

Hykue - Have that baby already! I'm so excited for you! Ahh! Babies!!!

Katico - So glad you got a chance to talk with your DH. That connection is so important--especially with the way things were going before that!

AFM - Baby had his first bath today! He seemed to enjoy it when he was just laying in the water, but wasn't a big fan of having his head washed. We're dressing him up like a pumpkin and then we're out to run some errands. I need some new jeans. I have one pair that might fit (I'm not sure) but they're in the attic... I didn't realize how few clothes I had before getting pregnant.

Mom to Eli babyboy.gif 10/18/11 and loving wife to Derrin. heartbeat.gif 

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

#21 of 106 Old 10-31-2011, 10:51 AM

Puente, congrats!  Willa is such a lovely name.  :)  I hope your recovery goes well!

Katico, happy belated birthday.  I'm glad you had a nice day!

Hykue, how fun about the dream!  I'm a little jealous of all you who keep having DDC dreams.  I'm lucky if I have a dream I can remember at all when I wake up!  Malcolm looks *very* much like my 8yo daughter did when she was a baby, so I have a pretty good idea what he'll look like when he's older.  It's nice to see into the future that way.  :)

Body image, yes, I can relate... For the first week or two I was absolutely, honestly, OVER THE MOON with how skinny I looked/felt.  Now I realize that my size 18 bottoms fit me awkwardly, and I still won't get into my smaller clothing anytime soon, and most of my tops look pretty frumpy if I don't have a baby in a carrier to cover it all up.  Not thrilled.  But at the same time, since I'm just starting to get out socially again, I've had a lot of people tell me how wonderful I look, and that's a good self-esteem booster for the time being.  Hopefully when I start working out again, it will take some of my negativity away and replace it with more hopeful/purposeful energy.  Cause I don't feel great about myself if I stop to look in a mirror, no sir.

AFM, I'm wondering if I ever mentioned that the hematoma on Malcolm's head went away about a week ago?  It was very sudden!  After weeks of looking like a giant head wound that would never be gone, it just decided it was time, and in the span of about 2 days his head looked totally normal again.  I can still feel ridges around the edge where it calcified, but that will supposedly go away with time, as well.  You can't see it at all under his hair anymore.  Hooray! 

DH was sick yesterday, but better today, thank goodness.  We sent the kids off to school in their costumes today.  And Malcolm is in his little reindeer outfit.  I love it to death, because I had a Cabbage Patch Kid when I was a little girl that came with a reindeer outfit.  Her name was Eliza Edie, I'm amazed I can remember it!  Looked just like this doll on eBay, but with brown hair.  Now I've got my little brown-haired Malcolm in a cute little reindeer outfit, too!!  love.gif  (It looks even more adorable when I put his boots on his hands like mittens, because I haven't gotten around to sewing any mittens yet....)

IMG_6935.JPG

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#22 of 106 Old 10-31-2011, 12:00 PM

Copied from the still pregnant thread:

So, just back from my appt at the hospital.  As much as I wanted to avoid an induction this time around, I actually feel extremely positive and relieved.

I am at 4cm and very thin, contracting regularly though mildly, baby is in a great position.  Barring any massive influx of labouring women or emergency cases, they will be calling me to come in early tomorrow morning!  The dr. said he expected labour to start very easily and that it should be quick and effective.  So....hopefully it won't require much intervention and by tomorrow night I could be holding our girl!  

He actually did a very (very! ouch!) aggressive sweep and I am feeling very, very crampy - maybe it will start all on it's own!

Plus, this means MIL will still be here until Friday and I don't have to worry about DD being taken care of or the first day or two postpartum.  SO relieved.

We're in the thick of Halloween prep here (DD (2) calls it Howleen)  She helped design her pumpkin, has a kitty cat mask and has it all figured out:

When kids knock on the door, she will open it wearing her mask, yell "happy howleen!", give them treats and let them pat our cat.  

Sounds good to me!

So, I guess the next time I post will probably be post-baby, unless I have time to kill in the hospital lol.gif

I can't WAIT to add pictures of our little one!!

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#23 of 106 Old 10-31-2011, 01:44 PM

Good luck, Katico!!!

#24 of 106 Old 10-31-2011, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Good luck Katico!! So excited for you!

AFM, I've been having a very hard time emotionally. DP and I are really having a hard time connecting, and spend a lot of our time arguing. He is very quick to say things that really hurt my feelings. He, of course, says he is sorry after the fact, but it just sucks. I never saw "this" as being my life. This was a totally unplanned/surprise pregnancy. I've wanted to be a mama for as long as I can remember, but it was always with a loving/supportive husband. Not a boyfriend. Of course this is my own fault. It's just so not what I ever envisioned. Raising a child, for a large part, on my own. DP and I won't ever get married, who knows if we will ever even live together. I am sad for my baby. That he isn't being born into the "family" that I always wanted for my child. I know that I can do this, it just makes me sad. AND, now that I'm crying I will stop.

#25 of 106 Old 10-31-2011, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

chelsea - I'm so sorry you are having a rough go. Something that has long given me comfort when I can't quite see where the road is leading was a card someone gave me during a hard time that said "Faith means not needing to know where you're going to know you'll get there safely". Somehow it seems things always do work out how they "should".

Baby girl is having a rough go & it's messing up all of our sleep. Her & I were up the entire night until about 5:30 this morning - her just fussing & fussing - not outright crying for the most part but just not happy - she would only sleep in very short fits & bursts. But then ds fell asleep at 6:30 last night (very early for him) & so he woke up at 5:00 this morning so I woke dh up to take him. So now dh is tired too & ds is so tired he actually just fell asleep in the bathtub! In trying to get him out of the tub he woke up & commenced an epic breakdown. Sigh. Why is baby girl so miserable?

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#26 of 106 Old 10-31-2011, 02:41 PM

Connecting with DP - I've found that, starting with DS's birth 3 years ago (or maybe even as early as that pregnancy) that DH and I go through periods of disconnection and reconnection.  Disconnection isn't fighting or anything intense, it's just being involved in everything but, seemingly, the two of us.  I think it didn't help that we went sooooo long after DS was born without being intimate (co-sleeping was a problem for us in that way).  Right now it feels like we're in that intense newborn stage (heightened by the fact that we don't know what's going on with DD's breathing).  So, even though he's been home for the last 2 weeks, it feels like we're orbiting around each other.  But, I have faith that this is a phase that we will pass through...though it may take a few months.

Katico - Yay for impending baby!!  It's funny that it's the last day of October and while there are so many people who joined this DDC, there's been relatively few birth stories/announcements.

DD had her first chiropractic adjustment today...and I had my millionth...but first since her birth.  Whew, it felt good!  She's still breathing fast, though.  I was kinda hoping it would be like an instantaneous miracle cure for her.  She also had her first totally leaky diaper while we were there.  I was prepared with clean diapers...but no clean change of clothes.  Oops!  Then, about an hour ago, she had her first poop blowout.

DS's Halloween parade was totally cute, but I was perplexed by the trick or treating portion of the event.  They went around to a few different offices that share the building (which was great), but the treats they were being given were baffling.  These are 2-to-almost-5-year-olds....being given hard candies, hard super chewy taffies and lollipops.  By people who work for the daycare center.  Ummm...hello choking hazards (and just plain hard to eat).

Tonight's agenda: my parents are on their way over (my dad was apparently coughing and snotting all weekend, but claims he's ok now...honestly, I'm feeling worried about DD being exposed to any illness, but especially respiratory stuff, since her fast breathing remains a mystery), pizza dinner, DS's first trick or treating, then bedtime.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#27 of 106 Old 10-31-2011, 03:09 PM

cbeclipse, hugs. that sounds hard. I too have an unwanted/unlooked for pregnancy, though I am married with two older kids, its still been hard, feeling guilty about not being excited, and then guilty for feeling guilty, etc. With the twists and turns that life throws you... well, I agree with Lifeguard's sentiments. You have to basically trust that later on, it will make sense, even when things seem like they don't right now.

#28 of 106 Old 10-31-2011, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Chelsea ... Sorry to hear that things are feeling hard and sad right now.  Trust that with time comes change, and that new parenthood is a minefield of emotions, hormomes, and overwhelming ideals that tend to sabotage our best efforts.  Be gentle with yourself, and if necessary, try to tune out the hurtful comments.  If you want to have a serious conversation with him, remember to HALT, as in don't do anything when you are Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired.  I know that with a newborn, we're almost always one of things at any given time, but if you can navigate around those times and find a neutral time to ask him to be more gentle with you, that might work better.

katico ... can't wait to hear the news!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#29 of 106 Old 10-31-2011, 04:56 PM

Happy Howleen!!!!

DSC_0079.JPG

(notice the yarn hair on the pumpkin - you know she's a knitter's child, she insisted yarn be involved!)

#30 of 106 Old 10-31-2011, 05:54 PM

happy howleen indeed, CUTE!

I am relieved... DH was going to go back to work tomorrow but decided to take one more day. Of all times, school messed up (well, cancelled) my son's school bus stop as of this morning. WTF? I think it will be back on and closer to our house, but seriously, the reason we have him on the bus at all was for the post-partum weeks and the very cold months of winter when walking the mile each way 4x per day didn't seem reasonable for me (with the two kids in tow). The idea of me going on the subway at 4d pp with an infant and a toddler... ack

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page