My boobs are broken :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-03-2011, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I really want to breast feed and I've tried and tried and tried..I even went and bought an electric breast pump to try to get the flow going more but nothing...after 9 days of trying, my breast are no longer producing milk...I've been told theres pills you can take to help your body produce but I'm not sure how I feel about that, though it may be too late now.

Is this normal? She was feeding for the first few days and I pumped often but everyday I got less and less milk and now I can only get a drop or two out of them.

I feel like a failure.

#2 of 14 Old 11-03-2011, 02:18 PM

Have you talked to a lactation consultant? Just because you can't get anything by pumping doesn't mean you aren't getting any milk. I am unable to produce more than a drop with a pump or by hand expressing but Alex is still getting lots of milk.

There are a couple great drugs, domperidone is very safe and a great supply booster, I have friends who have used if very successfully.

Hang in there mama, build yourself up a great support team, talk to a lactation consultant, you can do it! I had a lot of problems nursing my first baby, I know how awful it can be. grouphug.gif

partners.gif Married to an awesome dh for 5 years. energy.gifSweetpea, our honeymoon baby! (06/07), biggrinbounce.gif Little man (04/09), and rolleyes.gif our newest little guy (10/11).

#3 of 14 Old 11-03-2011, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I agree - don't go by what the pump produces. How is baby doing? Nursing lots, can you hear swallowing? Lots of wet dipes? Definitely consult a lc if you can. Good luck.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#4 of 14 Old 11-03-2011, 08:20 PM

Don't give up, mama! I had very low supply with our second and took Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle. My DD did chunk up! Seek out local help and give it your best shot! Great job over the past 9 days! Hugs.

#5 of 14 Old 11-04-2011, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I wasnt aware that the pump doesnt get it all! She seems to eat just fine but I started supplementing with an ounce of formula afterwards because shed still be fussy but wouldnt latch back on. Plenty of wet and poopy diapers though! This child poops like a man..her first day in the world, she gave me 9 stinky presents!!

Are there any lactation consultants out there not associated with hospitals? I called the LC at the hospital I delivered at and she told me that she could only help me if my baby had been in the NICU!! They don't help well babies, and when I asked for her while still in the hospital she never came in to talk to me :(

#6 of 14 Old 11-04-2011, 10:28 AM

If she is still fussing after a feed it could be that she needs to pee or poop and if that is the case she won't latch on till she has completed those things:). Taking her potty or just waiting till she goes then trying again to latch her on can be really helpful. I really would recommend not supplementing at all if her output is good bcs when she is getting milk from another source your body doesn't know she is eating and doesn't make that ammount. The more you can get her to suck (idealy) the more your body will make. If her weight gain is good and she is having lots of wet and poopy diapers then you are making enough. I can't pump either (maybe an ounce or so if I try really hard) and I am tandem nursing and they are both gaining fabuously so I have to go off of that.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#7 of 14 Old 11-04-2011, 10:38 AM

Yes, what Nicole said! If she's outputting well and also gaining weight I don't think supplementing is necessary. Good luck!

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#8 of 14 Old 11-04-2011, 10:57 AM
~pi

My babe has the same fuss at the end of a feed. For him, it means he wants to suck, but is full of milk. I offer a pacifier or a finger to suck on, and then he goes to sleep. Sometimes it means he needs to poop.

Your local LLL chapter should be able to hook you up with a LC who will work with you, and the LLL leaders can help you, too.

And another yeah that about pumping being a poor indicator. I don't pump well, but I definitely have enough milk.

Best of luck!

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#9 of 14 Old 11-04-2011, 03:14 PM

It could also be the pump. I had 1 pump and couldn't get a drop out. Went and bought another pump and the 1 time I pumped so far (after a feed, 1 side only) I got 2oz in less than 5 minutes and milk was still flowing (but I stopped pumping instead of seeing how much I could get).

My ds does the whole "i want the boob in my mouth to fall asleep but I don't want milk" thing too. With my overactive letdown he often gets a milk bath when he does this.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#10 of 14 Old 11-04-2011, 03:55 PM

Here is the website for the la leche league if you need it

http://www.llli.org/

You can plug in your city/town and it will give you the local chapters.  It looks like there are 2 groups that meet in memphis.  They are a really big help.  I haven't even had my baby yet and I have gone to meetings and the group is really well informed and they are there to help you.  Especially if you don't have many friends nearby who have recently breastfed it can be great to have a group of moms to talk to that are pro breastfeeding that you can sit around and chat with about problems and concerns. 

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#11 of 14 Old 11-07-2011, 08:52 AM

also don't know if you are WIC eligible, but I think they usually have breastfeeding help and support (and free pumps if you need them).

definitely get in touch with an LC asap. LLL is a good place to start, but YES there are independent LCs out there. If you have a local store that sells breastfeeding supplies or rents pumps, they may be able to help you.

and that is just awful that the hospital LC didn't visit with you and can't at least recommend someone else to work with you!

pediatrician office might have some names, or your OB/MW practice.

dissertating mom to three

#12 of 14 Old 11-08-2011, 08:13 AM

Emilyann- Lots of awesome advice already in the thread, so I'll just chime in with some cheerleading.  You can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post
My ds does the whole "i want the boob in my mouth to fall asleep but I don't want milk" thing too. With my overactive letdown he often gets a milk bath when he does this.

Glad to hear we aren't the only ones doing unnecessary milkbaths around here.  Gives 'sleeping in the wet spot' new meaning. eyesroll.gif

#13 of 14 Old 11-08-2011, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I don't have any advice, just hugs for you.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#14 of 14 Old 11-08-2011, 03:37 PM

Hugs 

I hope things get better for you, I can sympathize on the "my boobs are broken" feeling...Im making plenty of milk but because of the size/shape of my breasts I have not been able to breast feed successfully so Im having to pump around the clock and bottle feed on top of that.

I had a lot of breast hate before having Jasper and now it all feels validated, like they cant do anything right :(

I second looking into WIC, if only to get your hands on a hospital grade pump.

I have a Medela PIS and it does not get hardly any milk out but the WIC issued lactina (hospital grade) empties my breasts in 15 minutes or so.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page