Chat Thread 11/6-11/12 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-10-2011, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Steph - that sounds very overwelming - can anyone help with the cleaning at least? I totally get the coworker thing - when we lived in costa rica it was a constant stream of hosting strangers - often awkward but also met some really interesting people.

Do you have a sling? I used to nurse ds in the sling in restaurants all the time & rarely did anyone even notice.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2011, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Steph, that does sound overwhelming. I hope your DH can help clean the house. Can you prep some of the food in advance over these next couple of days? Good luck!

Katico, love your soundtrack! Sounds about right!

I'm doing my best to get us out of the house every morning so DD1 has something to do. Man, it is hard to get somewhere on time! I swear that just as I have Maeve dressed and in a fresh diaper she spits up all over herself. (not a little bit, she's a megga spitter!) Then Fiona has taken her boots off to wear them on her hands or something. That stern Mama voice that was being discussed earlier comes out!  I hope this gets smoother- I hate that stressed out frenzy!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 11-10-2011, 11:10 AM

Oh, DH will totally be helping with the cleaning when he can. Unfortunately work is really busy for him right now too, so he's working long hours and then has work calls from home every evening. It sucks and leaves no time for family time at all, let alone cleaning.

I have a Moby Wrap which we love for around the house. This is the only way I get anything done at all. I also have an Ergo (which we just used for the first time today while grocery shopping... he loved it and slept the whole time). I have a couple pouch slings too but haven't used them yet. I haven't figured out a way to nurse him in any of the slings though. He's just such a finicky nurser and has a hard time latching that we need to use certain positions and really work on getting him latched on. I am hoping the day comes soon where I can just pull out the boob and he latches right on. But, for right now, it still sometimes takes 10-15 minutes JUST to get him latched on (during which time the milk lets down and sprays everywhere shy.gif).

I am going to try and prep some today and tomorrow. We'll see how that works out. I can barely get a quick dinner on the table some nights, so I'm not sure where I'll find the extra time to prep for another dinner too. But, it'll happen one way or another!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Old 11-10-2011, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Steph, that is not cool. Two words: take out. Yes? At least some take out? Yes? Don't be a martyr.

Katico (er, Beth) that made me laugh. I'm sorry, because it really drives you nuts! DS is a major conversationalist, as in, "Mama, let's have a conbersation. What do you want to talk about?" He talks all the time. A friend recently told me to talk to the baby about what DS is doing, and that is actually going well. He wants me to tell the baby about this and that, and I tell her and tell him what she says, but yeah, crazy stars twirling over the head here, too.

Getting anywhere is hard. I wanted to get out today to the consignment shop and buy some button down shirts for nursing, but I'm not sure that can happen, even though my mom is here to help with Pascal. Mainly, my stroller is too big and clumsy to easily pack into the car. Carrying the car seat is an option, but it is so heavy. My mom is too big and a little bit disabled to really hold a baby at a store, sadly. But I'm having laundry problems with the two shirts that I can wear to nurse in. My other shirts pp actually would fit me now except for the boobage. Buttons pulling out all over. Milky wet sadness.

Nursing in a carrier: my boobs are not in the middle of my abdomen, so I have never understood how this works. I did it one time and it was very hard! And the milk sprays all over and dd sputters and cries.

Nicole, nice to see you!

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:42 PM

steph- that sounds awful. We are having the same latching issues, totally annoying BUT i have been nursing so long I really don't care about exposure as much as maybe I should. Maybe you can get kai latched on and then head back to the table, that's waht I would do.

Nursing in a carrier- It totally depends on what carrier but with the ERGO I drop one strap (whichever side I plan to nurse on) and latch the baby on, this is not hands free but only requires one hand with minimum support. With the ring sling I slightly loosen it and drop the baby down on the desired side I can actually do this hands free when they are a tad bigger (a couple of months and better at nursing. The moby wrap I just loosen and adjust the baby (like w/ the ring sling) and then tighten it once they are latched and am hands free:).

Noise level- not necessary lots of talking or demanding of my time and attention but the noise around here is through the roof. We have a small house and it is FULL and my dh and my kids are just loud people in general and throw a baby into the mix. wowzers it drives me insane!

Things are going fairly well here. I am thinking about starting to work out at some point. I am only 15lbs down from pg weight and have a Looooooong way to go to my desired weight but just the thought overwhelms me. Plus I am craving sweets like crazy (probably my bodies way of feeding the yeast). Plus thrush/yeast, hemoroids, etc. post partum life is soooo funeyesroll.gif

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Old 11-10-2011, 02:27 PM

steph- totally get some take-out or prepared food so you don't have to make it all. And for cleaning help, I was thinking that you should hire someone to clean your house. Major luxury for some, necessity for others. I had someone coming once a week when I was working doing fieldwork and getting ready to move cross-country... my goodness. the difference was incredible. A couple of hours and she had the apartment just so freaking clean. (I am not a natural homemaker type and I detest housework. When I am working again... whenever that is... I will not hesitate to hire someone to do that. It is one of my least favorite things in life, though I do enjoy having a clean house).

Nursing in carriers: this never worked well for me. My breasts are large and somehow the baby just always has seemed to smushed in to do any nursing. I know other people do it. I've done it with a ring sling when sitting down. Not with such a wee baby as I have right now.

Vera is 8lb6oz- she has gained 8oz in under 2 weeks so I guess that is good... she is now at the weight my son was when he was born (and still has 10 oz to go to be where her sister started out!)

And as for chatty kids... well, all I can say is thank goodness for family upstairs! I can get a break now and then. My aunt is visiting for a couple of days and she is a ton of fun. She hypes the kids up like crazy, but they love her. So its a little trade-off.

I am getting up and back to life a bit now, and feeling okay though still quite tired and still so sick with a cold :(

My parents are definitely getting sick of shuttling kids around to stuff, so I will start taking that over again next week, though I might still ask them to do a little bit of it. Right now the little baby is so portable, and the weather is lovely, and I know I should take advantage of this making life easier than it will be in a few months!

dissertating mom to three

Old 11-10-2011, 02:55 PM

I should clarify about nursing in the sling. No way I can do it while moving around at all or hands free but I found I did it a lot with ds while sitting down in public. I would put him in a cradle hold in the ring sling with it loosened off quite a bit. The sling would then mostly support him & give us some privacy & I would have my hands to get him latched. Once he was latched I could usually free up one hand (with ds in particular I really needed both hands & some pillows to make nursing comfortable so the sling was really just replacing some of the pillows. I suspect hands free in the carrier while doing groceries must be something only those with small breasts or extremely stretchy nipples can do.

I am SO there with baby & the toddler thing. I feel like I'm in a whirlwind just holding on for dear life some days. Ds is soooooo chatty ("let's talk about stuff!") but he's also not so very gentle & NEVER stops moving until he is asleep so I find it very hard to put dd down to do anything as I always feel she is then at risk of being stepped on or hugged too hard & recently he has told me he is going to pick her up so I really need to watch him like a hawk (it sounds terrible but he really is super loving with her - just a little too much love!)

I just slept for FOUR hours! Straight through! No interruptions!!!! It was soooooo lovely. I told dh when I got up this morning that I most definitely needed a nap today & he said 12-2 would be my window of opportunity. Of course that didn't actually start until 12:30 & then dd wanted to nurse but I figured at 1 I was getting a nice solid hour. Wow was I surprised to wake up at 5 just before dd did. Longest sleep I've had since she was born. Sigh. Now I feel obligated to clean something....

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 11-10-2011, 03:33 PM

Four hours of sleep sounds like SUCH a luxury! This baby doesn't like to sleep for more than an hour at the most. I am a freaking Zombie Mommy.

I nursed my way through Target last week using the Beco carrier. I probably flashed a video camera when I got him latched but he was covered the rest of the time with a blanket I slung over my shoulder. I did have to hold the blanket open.

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

Old 11-10-2011, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Chatty kids:  DD never. stops. talking.  She even talks in her sleep!  We walked twenty blocks return the other day and she narrated a very complex story about her imaginary friends the entire way.  At the top of her lungs.  Whilst skipping along.  So cute for the first few blocks, but it got very old by the time we were home. 

Carriers ... DS doesn't like the sling very much.  Our moby-style he likes and i can nurse in, but he and I seem to like the ERGO best right now.  I ditched the infant insert and just put a rolled receiving blanket under his butt and we're much happier with it now.  I don't like the insert at all.  I think I'll post it to CL tonight.  Waste of money (even though I got it off CL).  He also likes the woven wrap, but I can't nurse in that yet ... haven't figured it out.  I'd like to try to put him on my back with the woven wrap so that I can be with dd hands free with no baby bulge in front. 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 11-10-2011, 03:58 PM

4 hours?! 4 HOURS??!! Color me jealous!

Old 11-10-2011, 04:35 PM

Latching - oh, is it driving me insane.  what makes it all the more frustrating is that sometimes DD will latch right away...not necessarily a great latch, but good enough.  so al lthe other times when she acts like she's so hingry, but can't/won't open her mouth very much, or just nibbles and "kisses" the nipple repeatedly, or i get the boob in her mouth but she doesn't actually latch....all that is making me crazy.  i sure hope that this really is a posterior tongue tie and that it can be fixed and things improve.  i don't remember how long it took DS to latch well, but sometimes I find myself wondering (i hope this doesn't sound awful or offensive) if she has a learning difference and that's why she just doesn't seem to get it yet.

never tried nursing in a carrier.  and side-lying didn't work for me and DS...though maybe I gave up too early...so i just am used to sitting up in bed and not sleeping through nighttime nursing sessions.  at this point DD's sessions are pretty short anyway...usually not more than about 7 minutes per side, if that.  which i keep wondering if i should be worried about...

today when DS came home from preschool we were going back n' forth about how he didn't want to try these crispy green bean snacks from trader joe's and i was trying to get DD to latch and she just wasn't and she was crying and DS kept asking what was wrong with her and I literally just screamed real loud.  not actual words...just "Aaaaaaaaaa!!!"  and then, "don't talk to me!"  and took DD to the sofa to try again.

Poor DS...

Steph - I agree about cleaning help.  And prepared foods can be your friend.  you can do an entree and a side or two...but get some ready made stuff to round out the meal.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

Old 11-10-2011, 04:47 PM
~pi

Katico, biglaugh.gifhug.gif

Getting out the door: bow.gif to those of you getting out of the house with the baby and a toddler. I find it challenging enough to get out with baby and five year old with both parents involved.

Nursing in carrier: I never got the hang of this with DS1 so it was important to me to manage it this time. I got help from my doula when she did her postpartum visit. Basically, it required more adjustment of the baby than I imagined, and it isn't exactly as hands-free as I had hoped yet, but I think we will get there. I managed to do it several times when out yesterday, but I am far from a pro still.

lifeguard, what a great nap! Yay!

Steph, another vote for hiring cleaners. And hugs for your family dinner guest list spiraling out of control.

AFM, we had our six week MW appointment today, so we're all done. Hooray! And sniff. I cannot believe how quickly six weeks have passed.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Old 11-10-2011, 05:10 PM

I hate to brag, but I have been feeling quite proud of myself. I manage to get myself and two kids ready (4yo and 2yo) and get to places we need to go on time. I don't know how. but I do it. eta: The baby too. Duh!

Um, my baby is going to be a month old in 4 days. How the hell did that happen so quickly??!

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

Old 11-10-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

. I suspect hands free in the carrier while doing groceries must be something only those with small breasts or extremely stretchy nipples can do.[/ quote]
I have both so maybe that is why I can do it. Or the fact I have been nursing strait for almost 10 yrs. I didn't use to have stretchy nipples. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post

I seem to like the ERGO best right now.  I ditched the infant insert and just put a rolled receiving blanket under his butt and we're much happier with it now.  I don't like the insert at all.  I think I'll post it to CL tonight.  Waste of money (even though I got it off CL).   

I love love love the ergo and have been using one for 7 yrs now. This is the first time I have used the infant insert. I do not like it and will also be posting mine on cl. I tried it w out yesterday and didn't even need a blanket, dd did fine. The insert makes it so complicated. I like the ergo bcs it is easy to take on and off and put baby in nd out but not w the insert.

Getting out of the house- I have been blessed that dh is doing a lot of running the kids around but I have had to get all 5 out on my own on numerous occasions. Way way way easier than when I just had an infant and a toddler. Having the 5th has actually been the easiest transition so far. Seems strange but I guess we have worked out the kinks at this point. Lol

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Old 11-11-2011, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

I've been reading along, but just don't have the time to respond to everything.

Things are going "okay" here. I had a little bit of an emotional breakdown last night. Landon was just cranky and I didn't have any milk in my boobs for him, so we gave him a 2 oz bottle of formula. It just makes him so at peace and happy when he has a bottle. I feel like I am failing at feeding him. Like I should be giving him more bottles if it makes him so happy. But it breaks my heart that my boobs aren't doing what I want them to do and I have to sometimes give him formula. (2-6 oz a day right now)

more later.....Landon just woke up screaming

Chelsea, loving mama to Landon, born 11/3

Old 11-11-2011, 07:00 AM

Vent time. My mom slept over last night and this morning was going to be my first time having to take DS to school with the baby, but mom offered to bring him, so I accepted. And slept in. At around the time that they should have been leaving, I could hear them, but I was nursing. Then I still heard them. So I came downstairs and asked what they were still doing here, and I told her that school was starting now. She was all surprised that it was "already" that time, and started getting DS dressed (they'd been playing with trains) but had all the wrong season of clothes on him. Then I had to go get the right clothes and DS asked if he could have breakfast. WHAT!? Then I tried to make him something fast and he wanted to read a book and I said no time, and she said, sure there's time! argue.gif  So ds starts crying b\ecause i say there really isn't, and i'm the bad guy. She apologized a lot but i am still mad at her. background: i would regularly have to wait an hour and a half after school, dance class, sports, drivers ed, friends' houses, etc to be picked up by her, and forget ever being on time. grumpy.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:35 AM

Nursing in carrier- i can do it in rs right now hands free , could notdo it with a nb b4,. -boobs are huge - i am busting out of an i right now

with my first - i was in a baby store in cape breton and the owner came over to tell me that i was wearing my baby wrong (ds was 6mos and in a hip carry)- that he should be above my hip!

I told her i was bf'ing him - she looked at me strangely like only a small tittied woman would - until i explained - the reason he is not above my hip (he was half way down my thigh) -                     is that - honey he has to go where the nipple is winky.gif

Getting out the door- i putds in front in moby and dd in back in ergo today snow- so kindercoat over all 3 of us - i stick a couple of cd's and snacks in a bag (or my pockets if in arush) and off we go ;)  it is only a 20 min walk to playgroup and thakfully dd wears undies!

beclipse - please do not sweat the formula  - try to enjoy the pluses! full content baby, less worried parents because baby is happy and growing well, dad can fell usefull, can have a nice adult bevy while dad is on duty ;)

ds is pooping up a storm last couple of days - last mw visit he gained a pound in 1 week - now he is crapping it out..lol

i am drinking wy too much coffee trying to keep up with my kids and house!  not helping my turbo bitchiness!

had first pp sex (quicky at lunch..lol) all is back on track in that dept!

might be a photog over today to do free baby pics

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

Old 11-11-2011, 09:27 AM

getting out of the house: my oldest is the worst about this. and he is 7 (today!). I try to keep it slim, try to pack things ahead of time. Got them all out the door, to school on time, walked there... felt pretty good about it. I have been getting a lot of family help with the kids but am 2wPP today, and next week I'll be getting back to the usual running around. In a funny way I could see it getting easier with more kids, if only b/c the younger sibs just learn to get with the program earlier!

Old 11-11-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeguard View PostI find it very hard to put dd down to do anything as I always feel she is then at risk of being stepped on or hugged too hard & recently he has told me he is going to pick her up so I really need to watch him like a hawk (it sounds terrible but he really is super loving with her - just a little too much love!)

TOTALLY . My DD is 2.5 and doing this. Its hard b/c I would love to set baby down while I do dishes, take a shower, etc. But she is like a magnet to her sister. DD1 could be totally engaged in something independent, but if I set a quiet content baby down, she is all over her. Sigh. I have to trust this will get better as 1) DD1 gets used to DD2, and 2) DD2 gets some ability to defend herself.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:46 AM

Wow- I don't know how you Moms care for wee babies while chasing toddlers! 

I need a quick vent- I just got KNOCKED on my kiester by a horrible cold. I couldn't sleep at all last night (which drove me bananas since the babies were sleeping beautifully) and I just feel awful. I'm terrified of the babes getting sick- 2 6-week old babes with this snotty, headache-y, sore throated cold sounds epic. Anyone have stories of being sick while bfeeding babes and the babes staying healthy? I'm really hoping they stay in the clear and don't feel as bad as I do. I feel like poop.

Speaking of poop- does it ever slow down? I thought by 6 weeks things might mellow, but they are pooping every feed for the most part. When they do miss a poop, we pay for it with gigantic blow outs. We've had at least 1 a day for the past week. 

Old 11-11-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainebirdgirl View Post

Wow- I don't know how you Moms care for wee babies while chasing toddlers! 

I need a quick vent- I just got KNOCKED on my kiester by a horrible cold. I couldn't sleep at all last night (which drove me bananas since the babies were sleeping beautifully) and I just feel awful. I'm terrified of the babes getting sick- 2 6-week old babes with this snotty, headache-y, sore throated cold sounds epic. Anyone have stories of being sick while bfeeding babes and the babes staying healthy? I'm really hoping they stay in the clear and don't feel as bad as I do. I feel like poop.

Speaking of poop- does it ever slow down? I thought by 6 weeks things might mellow, but they are pooping every feed for the most part. When they do miss a poop, we pay for it with gigantic blow outs. We've had at least 1 a day for the past week. 

I don't remember how many colds I had during DS's first year...probably not many...but he only got, maybe, 2 colds that year (seemingly far fewer than the other babes we were hanging with...though all but one were exclusively breastfed...but I think the other moms tended to take their babies to far more public places than I did).  I did get a nasty GI thing...diahrrea and vomiting for 24 hours when DS was about 4 months old...managed to nurse DS during it (I would literally nurse, hand him to DH and go barf)...and DS never got sick. 

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

Old 11-11-2011, 12:44 PM

I too wish that I could put the baby down on the floor, but my kiddos want to be all over the baby all of the time!!!

My oldest is 4 and luckily in full time JK...so only a 2 year old most days :)

I wish I could nap with the baby :)

My pic is of me with dd at 9days on my back while I made muffins with my then 2 1/2 yr old ds - I tried putting the new baby on my back yesturday and could not remember how...man was I crooked and frustrated!!!

will give it a go this weekend when i AM CALMER -

photog cancelled today - will come by tues

I also volunteered to do a photo art project on bf momas - a dif photog coming Monday - My boobs may become famous...lol

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

Old 11-11-2011, 01:50 PM

Chelsea:  girl, I totally feel where you're coming from.  It's a terrible feeling - trying so hard to bf and then seeing how content and happy they are after a bottle, it just adds to the (irrational)  guilt you have when your body isn't doing what it's "supposed to".  Hang in there, you'll get it worked out!

Rosemary: Oh man, that would have driven me BONKERS - I am anal about being on time or early for things.  Sure, there's time to read a book?! uhoh3.gif

Saoirse:  "Honey, he has to go where the nipple is"  biglaugh.gif  Oh those silly small tittied women lol.gif  Also, I have always admired your profile pic, I cannot for the life of me manage to wrangle a baby onto my back!!

Getting out the door:  We went for a little walk the other morning and it took me 3 hours to get everyone fed, clean and dressed at the same time.  

Baby+Toddler:  So, I was particularly proud of myself yesterday, I had hot supper ready, we baked bread (!) and the house was clean when DH got home. I ate supper one handed while (bottle) feeding the baby.   After supper he held the baby and played with DD while I cleaned up the kitchen and did some laundry.  I could hear him in the living room trying to juggle the fussy baby and the toddler who wanted to play "soccer" and dress up and build towers and run races and ask a million questions.....and he came out to the kitchen looking totally dazed and was like...."I think I just got an idea of how your days go......and you baked bread today?!"  He is totally impressed with my multitasking/toddler fielding/one handed abilities lol.gif thumb.gif  Good man, it's nice when they actually appreciate what you do.

He was also impressed when he came upon us in the bathroom today, DD1 *covered* in wet purple paint, me wiping her very poopy bum and the baby in the sling, hahaha!!

AFM: I wish we'd been able to make it out to a Remembrance Day ceremony today but, last night was full of newborn projectile spit-up, toddler nightmares and a mommy migraine....and today it has been torrential rain.....we just weren't making it anywhere!

So, this migraine has hung on for 2 days and isn't going anywhere....so I've been taking tylenol-3, in max doses and I'm just not comfortable bf'ing with that much codeine in my system, so I have been hand expressing (my pump picked today to stop working?!) and she's had only formula.  Hence the projectile spit up.  DD1 was the same way, SO MUCH SPIT UP.  OMG.  So hard.  

But, I am pleased to report I seem to have more supply every day!  Today, I actually felt uncomfortable and kind of full/hard for the first time ever!  And when expressing there is lots of real squirts, not just drops!!  The domperidone seems to be doing it's thing.  It remains to be seen how much we will get...I just wish she was more interested in serious nursing - she tends to give up and snooze and I sit there and hand express into her open mouth. rolleyes.gif I think a lact-aid is in our future.  But, so far there is enough potential/progress to make it worthwhile to keep trying.  

Gosh, I hope we all sleep a bit tonight. 

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

Old 11-11-2011, 02:36 PM

This is not my day. My mom and I dropped DS off at Dh's school for the afternoon, and were going to go run a few errands when we were rear-ended as we were about to get on the highway. It was the scariest, awfullest feeling--but Iona is fine. Really fine. The area of highway was one with no shoulder, so we had to go to the net exit with the guy who hit us following us and get his info. My mom was panicking and calling 911, but I was like, "DRIVE! Get out of the middle of the highway!" Freak out. Then, I didn't get his info, but my mom did and when she was calling the insurance company reporting the guy's name, it turns out it is the dad of my DH's "favorite" student at school. I'd seen him get out of his dad's car at school and pointed him out to my mom. So weird. I want a bubble bath now though. :(

Personals later!

Old 11-11-2011, 02:37 PM

Rosemary - That also would drive me insane.  Even when DH or my parents have DS slightly off-schedule I start to get all twitchy.  Happened when I was teaching too...there were a few times that I needed a sub to cover me in the first half of the day and then I'd arrive at school as lunch was supposed to be finishing/kids getting ready for "siesta time"...and I'd be walking down the hall toward my classroom and I could hear that my class was not doing what they were supposed to be doing at that time.  I'd be gritting my teeth.

Saoirse - Wishing your boobs all the fame in the world.  And, wait a minute...did you say sex???  Whoa!

Baby/Preschooler - Actually was able to play on the floor with DS (for a little while) with DD sleeping in the vibrating bouncy chair.  DS seemed really happy that I was giving him some undivided attention.  Later, when I was cutting up a crepe for him, he asked why I wasn't smiling at him when I answered one of his questions greensad.gif...it was just cuz I was concentrating on cutting up the crepe, but of course it drove home (again) what even small kids pick up on.

AFM - This new random-let-down-reflex is just kooky.  I just walked by DH holding a sleeping DD while I was on my way up to the computer with my much-belated lunch.  I looked at DD's little round, soft-hair-covered head and suddenly my boobs kicked in.  Just so strange how different my body is  this time.

Called to make an appt. with a pulmonologist at the children's hospital for DD...the earliest appt is January 13th!  2 months of waiting for a newborn with unexplained rapid breathing just seems insane.  They said I could have my ped call and try to get us in sooner.  I also let my aunt and a friend of mine know, since they both know docs who work there...thought maybe there could be some string pulling.

Tonight we're celebrating my mom's 70th birthday.  We're doing it potluck style.  I'm in charge of yummy cheese bread (homemade) and applesauce (which is not homemade, but is from a local orchard and tastes homemade).

Old 11-11-2011, 03:08 PM

OMG! I'm so glad everyone is okay Rosemary! That's one of my worst nightmares is getting into a car accident with a baby in the car.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:55 PM

Rosemary:  First, so glad you and baby are okay!  Was there much body damage with the rear-ending?  I've never been rear-ended with a baby in the car, but there was a time when I was something like 35 weeks pregnant (with my first).  And once when I was driving and bright sun made me miss a light turning red, and I almost (like seriously, 2 inches from it) T-boned another car, when DD was less than a year.  Second, oh my goodness, I would have gone ballistic if my morning had gone like that. I get crazy uptight if we're running a few minutes late for school in the morning... and that's the reason I can't agree to carpooling to get my kids to/from school.  I hate being dependent on other people for making it to places on time.  It never seems to go well.

Getting out the door:  I've been very happy with myself on this front, too!  4 kids, and I haven't been late anywhere yet!  There have been a couple tight mornings with school drop-off, but they've yet to miss the bell.  It does take me quite a bit longer to get out the door every time, what with the bundling the baby for cold weather, but so far so good.  (I remember with my first and second... maybe even my third?... it seemed like we were always *at least* 10-15 minutes late everywhere we went.)

Baby + Toddler:  My first three kids were 22 months then 2.5 years apart.  I remember Baby + Toddler very well.  I'm *so* glad that this time it's a Baby + Preschooler.  Life is easier this time around with a kid who can entertain himself, be self-sufficient with dressing and pottying, and even get food out of the fridge without help.  Good luck to those of you enduring both baby and a toddler!

Katico: Yay milk!  Hope your DD gets on board with nursing soon.  :)

Baby on Back:  I'm always so impressed.  I've never tried it - seems to scary to get right.

PP sex:  Found out this week that everything's great in that department for myself and DH, yay!

AFM:  Can't get anything done today unless Malcolm is strapped to me.  He's been very cranky the last couple days, and not sleeping very soundly during the day, either.  It seems like he's suddenly having more trouble with burps.  Some stay hidden for hours and suddenly surface and make him SCREAM in pain out of nowhere.  Others come out fine, but they sound a lot more hard/forceful, and that's the best way I can describe it.  Seems to make him more upset and cause him a little more pain with those, too.  Was going to go out and do some playground time for the olders today, since the weather is so nice this weekend and today is no school, but I spent the first half of my day just trying to deal with Malcolm.  Though I did manage to take my maternity clothes out of my closet somewhere in the middle of it all.  Taking them to a clothing swap tomorrow, which is a little sad, because I like my maternity clothes better than my regular clothes.  But I don't want to look pregnant every time someone looks at me, either.  Just have to hope someone gives me enough money for a random shopping spree for myself, or something.  ;)  But, shhh, I'm keeping a couple of the shirts and my favorite jeans because they're so comfy right now, and hide my still-flabby belly so well.  And speaking of that, seeing as how I'm now a day past 6 weeks pp, I really should think about how I'm going to go about exercising again.  I can't think how I'll work it into my day, ugh.  But I need to get on it.  And laying off the Halloween candy would be a big help, too....

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

Old 11-11-2011, 04:08 PM

Yikes Rosemary! So glad that you are all ok. How scary!!

Re baby wearing: I'm determined to learn to nurse DD in the sling. DD1 wouldn't really go for it but I have done it a few times now with Maeve. I just need to be able to nurse her and get other things done. I love my wrap but haven't figured out how to nurse her in that yet. We have an ergo too but I haven't even gotten it out yet. i did watch a youtube video on how to wrap a baby for nursing. Can't wait to figure out back carries! I have a feeling that will make life way easier!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 11-11-2011, 05:49 PM

fun of the day:  DD pooped on the changing table with nothing under her, and it went right in the slit for the strap.  Awesome.  No good way to clean it.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:43 PM

Kindyll, if it were me, I would try pouring some hydrogen peroxide into the slit.  We've had some poop-on-the-carpet incidents, and the hydrogen peroxide has always helped me clean it up beautifully.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

User Tag List