Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   October 2011 (http://www.mothering.com/forum/16266-october-2011/)
-   -   Chat Thread 11/6-11/12 (http://www.mothering.com/forum/16266-october-2011/1335546-chat-thread-11-6-11-12-a.html)

cbeclipse 11-08-2011 08:00 AM

Here is a new chat thread for this week.

I *hope* things are finally settling down for me. I have SO much I want to say/comment on from last week's chat thread, but it may take me a while to catch up. I can't wait to write out his birth story and share it. I hope that I can find to write it out soon.  All I can say is, natural childbirth is NO joke, but totally amazing.

Landon came from the hospital Sunday night joy.gif

He is just so sweet. I can't believe he is mine.

We are having breastfeeding issues over here though. I don't really think my milk has fully come in yet. Tonight it will be 5 days since I gave birth. Landon is finally latching on (the first two days he hated my boobs and wanted nothing to do with them) but he falls asleep almost as soon as he latches on. I do know that he is getting some breastmilk though, because yesterday his poops were "seedy" and different than they had been. We are giving him some formula, about 2-3 times a day, after I nurse him, because sometimes he is just pissed and screaming and doesn't want my boob but is acting like he is starving.

Landon is up.....time to go feed him!

emmaegbert 11-08-2011 08:30 AM

Chelsea- so glad to hear Landon is home! Definitely get an LC on the case asap. now is a good time to get help and make sure breastfeeding gets established and off to a good start. Also you want to have it effortless before you go back to work with the older kids! Your MW may know local people? if not, I know some names in NYC and they might be able to get you in touch with LI LCs, I think you said you aren't far out? LLL also would have resources in that regard.

StephandOwen 11-08-2011 09:27 AM

wave.gif Not posting much, but always reading!

not_telling 11-08-2011 04:54 PM

Chelsea - so glad Landon is home...and, yes!  you get to keep him! biggrinbounce.gif

Breastfeeding - I've decided, based on my experience with both DS and DD that it just sucks that the first days/weeks are so "critical" in terms of babies getting proper nourishment...and, yet, we're all having to sit around, waiting for our milk to come in (i know colostrum is supposed to be enough at first) and trying to teach these babies how to nurse and jumping over all the other hurdles that come our way. 

AFM - Day 1 of just-me-and-the-kids wasn't too bad.  Got DS to school on time...maybe cuz I was already awake with DD for an hour before my alarm went off.  Things got a little dicey during the time between DS coming home and DS going up for nap.  He was pooping on the potty in the living room...and "just thinking about things" on the potty and also looking at a toy catalogue while on the potty..so I took advantage and tried to eat some english muffin pizzas real quick before I had to get him ready for nap.  Then DD got all fussy, so I had my finger in her mouth to suck on, eating pizza with the other hand, encouraging DS to just stay on the potty so I wouldn't have to get him cleaned up just yet...then the doorbell rings and it's this guy from the roofing company (they did work back in august/sept) showing up unannounced to tell us we owe more money and DD is fussing/crying in my arms and DS is stinking up the living room and my pizzas are getting cold and I didn't want to be dealing with the roofing guy cuz I know DH wasn't happy about some things (they broke one of the flagstones on our patio and got roofing gunk on some of the  stones and left nails scattered around).  I kept looking at the guy like, really?  You really want me to deal with this right now?

Then DS took his nap and DD and I watched a couple eps of "Felicity."  Then DS got up and it was kinda overload for me until DH got home.  Oh...the best part...while getting DS ready for nap, I lost my patience and used my loud impatient/annoyed mommy voice.  DD looked up at me with what I interpreted as total recognition...how many times did she hear me use that voice when she was in utero?  She was like, "ohhh...you're that person...I know you!"

emmaegbert 11-08-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_telling View Post, I lost my patience and used my loud impatient/annoyed mommy voice.  DD looked up at me with what I interpreted as total recognition...how many times did she hear me use that voice when she was in utero?  She was like, "ohhh...you're that person...I know you!"

HAHA! my baby is #3 so she knows that voice well...

theboysmama 11-08-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_telling View Post

DD looked up at me with what I interpreted as total recognition...how many times did she hear me use that voice when she was in utero?  She was like, "ohhh...you're that person...I know you!"

biglaugh.gif

Chelsea- I am glad he is home! I would highly recommend stopping the supplementation as your body wont realize he needs that milk and it will screw up your supply. Dd does a similar thing about fussing like crazy before a feed/ during a feed/ after a feed. It drives me nuts. I usually find that she is wet or needs to pee or poop and then it is a little better. She has a terrible time latching on and I find that it works best when I dangle my breast and nipple down into her mouth and squeeze my nipple and with the other hand shove her head onto the breast. It may take a few tries but she gets it eventually. As long as he has plenty of output I wouldn't worry about his fits, just get the boob into his mouth.  It sure is frustrating but sounds like he is on the right track.

AFM- Saphira is 3 wks, it is so hard to believe. She is a great sleeper (day and night) and the only issue we are having is her pissiness with nursing. She acts like she doesn't like it.... well I have news for her, it is the only option :). She is gaining great and looks healthy so seems to be working. She is making almost all of her poops into the potty which totally blows me away. She is dry most nights too. I know she is going to "wake up" soon so am trying to really enjoy this extended sleep period.

Dd1 is nursing like crazy and I am going to need to cut her back before I go insane.

I am already out of freezer meals (totally didn't get my act together) and we only had 2 meals brought to us. Must get off my hiney and figure out what we are having for dinner before the kids eat all of the halloween candy.

~pi 11-08-2011 06:49 PM

Chelsea, hooray!! He is home!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_telling View Post
Oh...the best part...while getting DS ready for nap, I lost my patience and used my loud impatient/annoyed mommy voice.  DD looked up at me with what I interpreted as total recognition...how many times did she hear me use that voice when she was in utero?  She was like, "ohhh...you're that person...I know you!"

biglaugh.gif

For the past two years, I worked at a university 5 hours from where I live. I had a special arrangement where I telecommuted some of the time and the rest of the time, I made regular trips to the university, usually for a week at a time. So I had many 5 hour drives while pregnant. I often used loud, obnoxious pop music to keep me alert while driving. You can see where this is heading ... DS2 now falls asleep to loud, obnoxious pop music.

lifeguard 11-08-2011 07:18 PM

not_telling - people are incredible sometimes. When ds was just a couple weeks old I had a guy show up at my gate to cut off my water (turns out our landlady had not paid the bill in several weeks) & wasn't willing to give me even an hour to sort things out. Seriously, I'm standing here looking like hell with exhaustion & a brand new baby & you want something from me?! Insane. Hope your dh gives him whatfor.

Stupid dog tried to burn down our house tonight. I fell asleep in bed with dd & ds while putting ds to sleep (very unusual for me to lie with him but we were having a really nice cuddle) when I wake up to hear this strange, loud clicking. Dh had gone outside & the dog had jumped up on the stove to try to get the frying pan & had turned on one burner & bumped another one to light (which was the clicking). I HATE that the stupid gas stove has all the controls right on the front & this is the just the topper. Thank goodness I was home & heard it right away. But now I don't know how to solve the problem - when we bought the stove we tried to find one with the knobs elsewhere but there wasn't one that wasn't triple our budget. Sigh.

~pi 11-08-2011 07:23 PM

lifeguard, can you pull the knobs off? That's what we did with our gas stove during the toddler years. When we needed to use the stove, we would just pop a knob back on to use that burner.

SO GLAD you heard the noise. Yikes.

theboysmama 11-08-2011 07:25 PM

lifeguard- we use these and they work well.  how  scary! good thing u woke up.

lifeguard 11-08-2011 09:38 PM

Thanks for the ideas - dh doesn't seem nearly as bothered by it as I am - sigh.

Katico 11-09-2011 06:00 AM

nak smile.gif

supplemented poop:  question for those who have/are supp.  I would say DD is currently getting 3/4 formula and 1/4 bmilk,...so how come all of her poops are definitely bf poops - mustard yellow/seedy??  I expected them to look more like formula poops since that's the majority of her feeds.  Is there one massive formula poop lurking in there??

decreasing supp:  I know that  I need to decrease supp to increase supply  but I'm not sure how to decrease supp when she is mostly f-fed at this point, without running into dehydration etc again?  I'm also worried about night feedings - she only wakes once or twice but I'm having trouble bf'ing at night - She will feed for ages and then still need supp - I'm having trouble staying awake and I'm not comfortable side laying etc and falling back asleep while she feeds - my breasts are large/soft and I'm afraid of suffocating her redface.gif  Wisdom?  I guess I should pull out the sns again, I've just been avoiding it....maybe I'll order a lact-aid.  I'm just not sure how much effort I'm willing to put in when it's not clear if we'll have any significant supply...I know that sounds terrible, esp. when I'm so excited to have ANY supply...but I refuse to turn into a crazy mess over it this time  guilty.gif

I'm thankful there are so many mamas here who have had experience with low supply...it can feel so isolating when you're surrounded by people who have no idea what a struggle it is.  I pumped an ounce yesterday and I was so thrilled at that huge amount (haha)  and all I could think about was how most mamas probably leak that much several times a day!  It's a whole different experience.  

freezer meals: all I can say is THANK YOU, CRAZY NESTING PAST ME...I'm so glad to have a freezer full of good food...DH would feed us frozen pizza for every meal if I hadn't stocked the deep freeze!  This week's menu includes meatloaf, stuffed shells, enchiladas, muffins and cookies and strawberry shortcake!  And a frozen pizza lol.gif

Stoves:  Um, terrifying!!  We just bought a new stove and thank heavens I took DD1 with me to shop for it - I was about to buy a stove with front knobs when I noticed her walking down the row of stoves turning all the knobs!!  It would never have occurred to me until I got it home that it was perfect toddler height to turn on!!  Duh!!  It's wierd that it's more expensive to get the knobs on the back, eh?  My Dh wouldn't have been as freaked out either - he'd say something like "well, no point worrying about it, the house DIDN'T burn down"....uhoh3.gif

Chelsea: Yay!!  He's home!!!  I'm so happy for you!!  I know what you mean - it's hard to believe they're ours...it's too wonderful to believe!

Mambera:   I am also thrilled when my boobs start to ache - it means there's something there for her!!! Totally weird ;)

Rosemary: I've been thinking about you and hoping your friend is doing better?  So sad!    I want more pictures of Iona- because she is adooorable and looks so much like her mama!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_telling View Post

AFM - Day 1 of just-me-and-the-kids wasn't too bad.  Got DS to school on time...maybe cuz I was already awake with DD for an hour before my alarm went off.  Things got a little dicey during the time between DS coming home and DS going up for nap.  He was pooping on the potty in the living room...and "just thinking about things" on the potty and also looking at a toy catalogue while on the potty..so I took advantage and tried to eat some english muffin pizzas real quick before I had to get him ready for nap.  Then DD got all fussy, so I had my finger in her mouth to suck on, eating pizza with the other hand, encouraging DS to just stay on the potty so I wouldn't have to get him cleaned up just yet...then the doorbell rings and it's this guy from the roofing company (they did work back in august/sept) showing up unannounced to tell us we owe more money and DD is fussing/crying in my arms and DS is stinking up the living room and my pizzas are getting cold and I didn't want to be dealing with the roofing guy cuz I know DH wasn't happy about some things (they broke one of the flagstones on our patio and got roofing gunk on some of the  stones and left nails scattered around).  I kept looking at the guy like, really?  You really want me to deal with this right now?

This made me laaaaaugh (in a sympathetic way, of course lol.gif)  

DH and I were in the middle of utter chaos last night with two kids and supper, and we just looked at each other and started laughing.  It was a wonderful chaos.

cbeclipse 11-09-2011 06:55 AM

Katico- I could have written just about the same thing that you wrote about poop and decreasing supply. I really feel lost and don't know what to do.

I can't write too much because I have to feed Landon soon, but we are still having breastfeeding/supply issues. I don't want to supplement, but I also don't want to starve my little guy. He is only getting 8 oz of formula a day, spread out throughout the day. He does latch on and nurse, but falls asleep after 5 minutes. He also has times where he is looking for something to latch onto and getting so mad, but when I try to get him to latch on he wants nothing to do with my boob, and it makes him even more mad. Seems to happen more in the evenings. I feel so bad/helpless when that happens. I've been trying to pump a few times a day, hardly get anything out when I do pump though. I'm thinking about taking some supplements to see if they can get my supply up.

Off to feed Landon......

emmaegbert 11-09-2011 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

lifeguard, can you pull the knobs off? That's what we did with our gas stove during the toddler years. When we needed to use the stove, we would just pop a knob back on to use that burner.

that is what we do too. in the size stove we have space for (the smallest 4-burner stove you can get) there were no models with back burner knobs. At least not in the USA where apparently everyone has gigantic kitchens except me (I have heard rumors from friends that they make high quality SMALL appliances in europe...)

StephandOwen 11-09-2011 08:17 AM

Chelsea- have you tried massaging your breast while he's latched on, when he starts to fall asleep? This should get milk flowing, forcing him to swallow/suck again. I had to do this at almost every feed with Kai for the first couple weeks. Today he's 4 weeks old and doing much better about staying awake for a feed.

emmaegbert 11-09-2011 08:22 AM

Chelsea:

http://www.nylca.org/parents/services/home_visits/

this lets you search for LCs who do home visits in the tri-state area. I saw the link when I was looking up the breasfeeding store where I want to go when baby wakes up from naptime to get a decent nursing bra. Anyway, maybe helpful?

saoirse2007 11-09-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post

Chelsea- have you tried massaging your breast while he's latched on, when he starts to fall asleep? This should get milk flowing, forcing him to swallow/suck again. I had to do this at almost every feed with Kai for the first couple weeks. Today he's 4 weeks old and doing much better about staying awake for a feed.

when i had my first baby the nurse at the hospital in Newfoundland called this the "drown the bugger" technique -we used it with great success for all 3 kiddos at the newborn stage:)

Katico 11-09-2011 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse2007 View Post

when i had my first baby the nurse at the hospital in Newfoundland called this the "drown the bugger" technique -we used it with great success for all 3 kiddos at the newborn stage:)

*snicker*   ahh, Newfoundland  lol.gif

Trinket90 11-09-2011 09:53 AM

Katico - I have large, soft breasts too and I've actually found side laying to be a lot easier than sitting up for night feedings (don't have to hold the boob up). I just lay my boob out in a way that DS can latch on without his nose being buried. And if necessary I keep a hand on my breast pushing down a little to keep the flesh away from his nose, although that's not usually an issue. And while I don't purposefully fall asleep like that, it's happened and it's nice. Also, IME, DS is really good at unlatching and complaining if I accidentally start to suffocate him (which happens a lot more sitting up than side laying). Maybe play around with side laying a little (even during the day so you're more alert) and see if you can find a position that's more comfortable and less worrisome?

cbeclipse - I have the same falling asleep after a couple minutes problem with DS. It can be frustrating, even though I'm not supplementing, because he wants to eat again minutes later. I've tried changing his diaper, which works great, and burping him, which just puts him further to sleep. The most effective technique I've found is, the moment you see those eyes start to drift, tickle his neck or cheek, or rub his feet, or something else that mildly irritates him or wakes him up. I don't know if that'll work for you but that's what worked with my lazy, sleepy baby!

lifeguard - wow, that's terrifying. I second all the "take the knobs off" people. Our knobs are on the range top and I think we had to do that a couple times when my sister had learned to climb the counters and wanted to make her "apple juice with tea in it" (apple juice cut with hot water from the teapot) all by herself.

Katico 11-09-2011 09:59 AM

Can I just vent for a minute? (Like I've ever hesitated to vent....)

So, a 'friend' (more an acquaintance) called and asked if she could stop in last night to drop off some hand-me-downs for DD1, a care package of food for us and a quick peek at DD2....I was tired but it was very kind of her so I said sure, come on over.

So, 'stopping in' apparently meant coming over with her two kids (3 and 7) and staying for an hour and half while they ran screaming circles around the house, winding up DD1 right before bedtime.  And her 3 yo kept grabbing toys from DD1 (2yo) and then running to tattle  every 5 minutes, that "Lila won't share!!" when DD protested......Oh, and she told her 7yo that he was to keep an eye on the little girls and make sure they "behaved", so I hear him in the other room "correcting" DD for not "sharing".......gah!!!

OMG.  The noise.  The mess,  What the hell???

DD is still talking about it today, how the little girl and little boy were soooo noisy and didn't listen to their mommy and broke a toy

Wouldn't you think that having BTDT with newborns, people might think twice and realize they're being CRAZY?! hammer.gif

Leiahs 11-09-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katico View Post

Can I just vent for a minute? (Like I've ever hesitated to vent....)

So, a 'friend' (more an acquaintance) called and asked if she could stop in last night to drop off some hand-me-downs for DD1, a care package of food for us and a quick peek at DD2....I was tired but it was very kind of her so I said sure, come on over.

So, 'stopping in' apparently meant coming over with her two kids (3 and 7) and staying for an hour and half while they ran screaming circles around the house, winding up DD1 right before bedtime.  And her 3 yo kept grabbing toys from DD1 (2yo) and then running to tattle  every 5 minutes, that "Lila won't share!!" when DD protested......Oh, and she told her 7yo that he was to keep an eye on the little girls and make sure they "behaved", so I hear him in the other room "correcting" DD for not "sharing".......gah!!!

OMG.  The noise.  The mess,  What the hell???

DD is still talking about it today, how the little girl and little boy were soooo noisy and didn't listen to their mommy and broke a toy

Wouldn't you think that having BTDT with newborns, people might think twice and realize they're being CRAZY?! hammer.gif

Oh my goodness.  Do you happen to remember when I vented about an acquaintance to "stopped by" with gifts for Malcolm, 40 minutes late, with her 2 kids, right as I was putting dinner on the table, and didn't leave for an hour after me giving many heavy-handed hints that she needed to wrap things up?  I can't believe some people.  Sorry you had an experience so similar to mine.  You just made me re-live the horror.

Side-lying:  I would die without it!  I second the encouragement to try/experiment during the day. 

Lifeguard:  Your life is not sounding the least bit easy as of late.  I'm so sorry!  I hope removing the stove's knobs might be a good solution for you so you never have to repeat a similar scare.  Also hope you have a good visit with Dr. Newman and solve some comfort issues!  My DD (1st baby) had a bad latch when we first got started bf'ing, and the pain was nearly unbearable, and made me bleed like crazy (she'd spit up blood with the milk, ugh).  Imagining even a teeny bit of that pain every time I nurse is enough to make me shudder.  I hope there is an end in sight for you.

Bad mommy voice recognition:  Thanks for that perspective, lol.  I often feel terribly guilty that for 2 weeks while I hermited myself away in my postpartum bedroom, Malcolm heard nothing but a calm, quiet voice from me.... and now I'm back into the craziness and things are severely weighted towards my bad mommy voice.  Maybe now I'll just think about how he can recognize me from his pregnancy days, instead.  wild.gif

cbeclipse:  So glad Landon is home with you!!! love.gif

AFM:  I crawled back into bed after taking kids to school this morning, feeding DS3 and turning on a movie for him.  Didn't get back out of bed until 11:30am.  It's absolutely ridiculous that a half-way bad night of sleep can knock me down so thoroughly - I slept from 11-4:30, then 6:30-7am... It should have been enough for me to feel functional.  Feel so bad for DS3.  Like maybe I should enroll him into preschool (I think we might qualify for free tuition, even) just so he doesn't have to suffer through my re-adjustment to baby life. But then, these nights are so relatively infrequent, at least.  Also, I'm wishing I had the courage to tell people I want to quit my non-family responsibilities. I just wish I had nothing else to worry about but my own little bubble, these days.  My brain and emotions feel so overextended when things aren't perfectly in order, and they haven't been perfectly in order for a very long time.  I'm just tired and want a good, long break.  But it's not like I have even half as much on my plate as most other people I know.

Also, a little annoyed with my midwife.  I haven't heard from her in a month.  She was supposed to call me at about 4w pp to check on me and schedule my 6w visit, but she didn't.  I watched her put a reminder into her iPad calendar.  I called her at 1m pp to ask if I could swing by and weigh Malcolm out of curiosity.  Had to leave a message, she never called me back.  Now I've emailed her to remind her that I need a 6w pp visit (6 weeks being TOMORROW!), and she hasn't gotten back to me that way, either.  Though I did get an email from her a little over a week ago informing me of a last-minute client gathering potluck, which I sent my regrets for (parents were in town).  I've never ever had a problem getting in touch with her before, and I'm annoyed that now that I'm at the very end of our visits, I'm not getting through.

Katico 11-09-2011 04:31 PM

Leiahs  YES!  I couldn't remember who it was but I remembered your story last night as I was sitting there listening to her tell me how "tired and pale"  I looked, haha!!  Like, ok crazy lady -maybe that means you should take your hooligan children and leave!!

Sidelying:  So, I tried this today and let her nurse as long as she wanted to as we fell asleep for our nap and it worked well, I didn't have any problems so we'll definitely try again!  My big issue seems to be that she's a sleepy baby - she slips into comfort nursing really quickly, probably because there isn't a lot of milk bursting out for her, so she kind of drifts off and loses track.  It's like chicken or egg? - low supply needs baby to suck and increase it...baby doesn't suck because supply is low.  I've been hand expressing after she loses interest just to get more out so the girls might get the message and make more. She's also so sleepy through the day I feel like she isn't waking up enough times to eat.

Sigh.  I have seriously read everything I could find to read about supply issues etc over the last couple of years and I still feel like I know nothing at all. 

starling&diesel 11-09-2011 04:52 PM

Katico ... Sounds like she'd be a prime candidate for the Lact-Aid (really, I should get paid for all the endorsing I do on their behalf).  Then she's at the breast and working it all the while, even as she's getting the supplement.  Love it, truly love it.

Side-lying ... Love it too.  Love it!

Grumpy mama voice ... So me right now. I have *got* to work on making my tone more gentle as a rule instead of this exhausted snarky b*tch mama voice that's creepy out as of late.  Poor dd. 

My dp is gone for a few days for work, and dd is not taking it well.  Add onto that the fact that she's weaning, and we put her dog into the kennel for the days that dp is away to make it "easier" on me, and we're going to the doc tomorrow for flu shots (which I either stupidly or wisely told her about), and she's a wreck.  Hence, why she is currently sitting on the couch eating cheddar bunnies and watching Mary Poppins. 

Hello to everyone else!!!

AKislandgirl 11-09-2011 05:20 PM

Hi! haven't been posting much. Just read through this weeks chat though. Hope everyone is doing great!

Side Lying: Love it! Now that DD2 is a bit stronger and "gets" how to nurse its how we get through the night. Love, love, love it. DD1 still nurses this way to bed at night.

Maeve is going great. She is gaining well and is a good sleeper at night. We have a itching hour every evening where she gets herself pretty worked up though. Getting her in the tummy tub when she gets like that seems to do the trick.

She's up... gotta run!

~pi 11-09-2011 05:46 PM

nak

leiahs, hugs. can you take a break from non-family responsibilities for a little while? and perhaps sign ds3 up for preschool even if you don't use it 100% of the time? i thought of your story too, when reading katico's. ugh for both of you. some people lack clue.

another yay, side-lying here. learned it with ds1 and it changed my life.

hello, all!

ds2 and I had/have 6 week appts today (high risk ob & endo)/tomorrow (mw) and then we're done with pregnancy- and birth-related health care. it's both exciting and sad.

dollyanna 11-09-2011 07:44 PM

Katico -- re: supplemented poop: my DD's is mostly breastfed-looking as well.  It varies a little bit, like one day the color was more tan than yellow, but for whatever reason it has always appeared more BF-looking for me, too.

decreasing supplement:  last time around I remember this being torture -- finding the balance between making sure baby gets enough to eat vs. too much supplement.  I'm probably doing it wrong, but I've been able to decrease the amount of supplement I'm giving just by using the lact-aid (& staying on all my herbs, etc).  I know the lact-aid is a big cash outlay, and there is definitely a little learning curve to get into a system, but it has been SO helpful this time around.  (Maybe Starling & I can get some kind of endorsement deal going with them winky.gif)  I feed on one side for 10-15 minutes and then feed from the other side until she's done.  On my boobs, that is enough to completely empty one and mostly empty the other.  The lact-aid empties pretty slowly and sometimes I will screw up the insertion & realize halfway through a feed that she's not getting anything through it.  Maybe doing it without the lact-aid on the first boob and with on the second would be the way to go?  I'm using the lact-aid on pretty much every feed except emergency boob in the mouth situations.  If I just give the boob she's hungry again right away, and quickly falls into the comfort sucking, so clearly she needs the extra ounce or two she's getting per feed.  She's really dropped how much supplement she's taking. Started at 18oz, she was down to 12oz by a few days ago, and yesterday she only took 8-10oz.  I didn't get a chance to weigh her yet, but she is looking super-chunky & having plenty wet diapers so I can't imagine she's not gaining.

One other thing -- have you joined the MOBI (mothers overcoming breastfeeding issues) yahoo group (scroll to the bottom of this page)?  I joined last time around and got some helpful advice there as well as support.  They now have a facebook group, too.

Katico 11-10-2011 09:15 AM

The soundtrack of my day:

"I want snack pwease, more snack, I soooo hungwy....wear dis hat mommy (basket on my head)....I want playdough...I want paint...I so hungwy....you a farmer, mommy, say yeehaw!....baby claire a pirate, she say aaaaargh....where my bear?....find my bear.....i need my bear!!.....where Daddy? ....I want go park....why baby Claire crying?....what you dooning, mommy?...I help..."

*baby projectile vomits*

*toddler gags and chokes, nearly throwing up*

*construction next door*

*cat won't stop meowing*

"I dancer, you dance with me mommy...why Claire throwing up? fix her, mommy ....I want elmo...I neeeeeeed elmo.....mommy...mommy....mommy....no, I no need to pee! NO!.....where my special book? ...where my special new ball go? .....Mommy, I pee......I so hungwy....I put a sticker on Claire.....Mommy know where my special new ball is?....Elmo has some presents for me....I need elmo....14...14...14...14....15....16...14...17..18...19....20 trucks....i just count all those trucks"

*baby screaming* 

*mommy weeps*

nut.gif

uhoh3.gif

hammer.gif

not_telling 11-10-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katico View Post

The soundtrack of my day:

"I want snack pwease, more snack, I soooo hungwy....wear dis hat mommy (basket on my head)....I want playdough...I want paint...I so hungwy....you a farmer, mommy, say yeehaw!....baby claire a pirate, she say aaaaargh....where my bear?....find my bear.....i need my bear!!.....where Daddy? ....I want go park....why baby Claire crying?....what you dooning, mommy?...I help..."

*baby projectile vomits*

*toddler gags and chokes, nearly throwing up*

*construction next door*

*cat won't stop meowing*

"I dancer, you dance with me mommy...why Claire throwing up? fix her, mommy ....I want elmo...I neeeeeeed elmo.....mommy...mommy....mommy....no, I no need to pee! NO!.....where my special book? ...where my special new ball go? .....Mommy, I pee......I so hungwy....I put a sticker on Claire.....Mommy know where my special new ball is?....Elmo has some presents for me....I need elmo....14...14...14...14....15....16...14...17..18...19....20 trucks....i just count all those trucks"

*baby screaming* 

*mommy weeps*

nut.gif

uhoh3.gif

hammer.gif

Umm...yup.  That sounds about right.

And what's up with the meowing cats?  Ours has been super talky lately, too.  Especially when DS is napping.

nicolian 11-10-2011 10:01 AM

Hey everyone. I, too, have been reading along but don't have much time to post. wave.gif

StephandOwen 11-10-2011 10:15 AM

I think I've lost my mind. We are going up to Michigan for Thanksgiving this year (my family lives there, plus ds is supposed to see his bio-dad that weekend). So I decided I wanted to make a nice Thanksgiving-ish meal here, this weekend, for us. It will be my first time really cooking since Kai was born (I've done a little here and there but mostly easy meals or meals that were in the freezer). I was really nervous about it, knowing how clingy/needy Kai has been the last couple days (wants to stay on the boob all day). I have no idea how I'm going to get the meal actually made, and made well. But I threw the idea out at dh, letting him know I was thinking of making a nice meal for us Saturday. Before I knew it, suddenly his parents were being invited. It annoyed me, I really wanted it just to be the 4 of us, but I bit my tongue and let him invite them (since we're spending Thanksgiving with my parents then it felt like I was being guilted into letting his parents come to our dinner Saturday). So, fine. Whatever. I'm readjusting to this plan when he emails me today and asks if he can invite a co-worker, someone who is here for a couple weeks working but lives in another country. Great. Awesome. Invite the whole freaking world to my little family dinner irked.gif I can't say no to the co-worker because that's just the way this business thing works. When people are traveling out of the country then others either take them out to meals or invite them to their house. DH travels too and these same people invite him for dinner or take him out when he's out of the country, so it would be way taboo if we don't reciprocate.

So now I have to make a large meal for people I didn't plan on making it for, clean the whole house so that it's actually presentable and deal with my older ds with autism (who doesn't always adjust well to others coming to our house, especially those he doesn't know). I'll bet you $100 I end up alone in the bedroom nursing while everyone else eats the meal, because Kai has a habit of wanting to nurse *right* as dinner is done, and I'm not going to nurse in front of some guy I don't know at all (I would if we weren't having the latch issues, but milk spraying all over the place probably isn't what most guests want to see lol.gif). Hell, I haven't even nursed in front of my MIL or FIL yet. 

banghead.gif