Help - Mastitis won't stop! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-12-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone have some advice on how to treat/prevent mastitis? I had it one week PP, started antibiotics, it came back 24 hours after I finished the abx. Took another 14 days of abx, and I think it's coming back again. My DD is 5 weeks, and is starting to nurse longer but obviously not emptying the breast. I've tried my best to pump to empty the breast, but it's not always possible to do every time and I'm not sure how much to do and not affect supply too much. And I'm not sure how the pump works to empty ducts- does it always use the same ducts unlike when you change baby's position? I'm at my wits end. I don't want another round of abx because for one thing it may not help again, and they don't seem to agree with the baby. She got diarrhea and had to eat constantly and was really fussy during the last round. And seriously, how much abx should I just take in a row? It's been a month of them now. I'm taking probiotics now and eating yogurt to help restore things while I figure this out. Any advice from those who have BTDT would be appreciated. I am taking raw garlic just for good measure, and trying to get lots of fluids to help fight infection. I've heard warm compresses are good, but how long to hold them there? And how exactly do you know you've emptied the breast well?

I cross posted in the breastfeeding forum

#2 of 6 Old 11-12-2011, 08:00 PM

this is what i used when i had it w ds1. my mw also recommended to take it easy, highly likely that this is your bodies way of saying you are doing too much.

It sais on the website she isn't taking tincture orders right now but I am pretty sure she is back in the office (her entire home and office burned down and she has been out for 9 months) so it might be worth a call to see if she is able to place the order.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#3 of 6 Old 11-13-2011, 11:52 AM

nak

-while baby is nursing, rub any plugged ducts HARD--it'll be uncomfortable or hurt.

-a disposable diaper soaked in very hot water held onto breast until no longer hot after each nurse

-yes garlic

-breast is empty when you cant squeeze any milk out--at least for me that's true

Rosemary, married  mama to Pascal 3/08 and expecting #2 on Halloween.
#4 of 6 Old 11-13-2011, 04:52 PM

Cabbage leaves?
Lots of rest.
Kellymom.com

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

#5 of 6 Old 11-17-2011, 03:33 PM

nak-

cabbage leaf(cold) before feeding on affected side. leave on until warm, then feed. but only use leaves once or twice a day. i read it can dry you up. use different positions-cradle, football, all you can think of. this empties breast better. hot wet cloth pressed on painful side and lumps. ibuprofin...you don't need to suffer! i had mastitis with 3 babies and that's how i got rid of it without meds. feels like the flu + worst pain ever :( i had t badly this time- cracked nip w/blood and bad latch but i did what i said above and all better! make sure baby's mouth open BIG! open mouth-aim nip inside mouth and pull *her* to *you*. it was to the point i was just pulling her fast onto mine but it worked-that's what healed cracked nip along with lanolin. good luck, mastitis sucks and is depressing.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#6 of 6 Old 11-17-2011, 03:36 PM

empty breast-soft, squishy. for me, a good 10 minutes of baby feeding.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page