A couple of newborn questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-13-2011, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

This girl is so different from DS in so many ways, and now I need to know what others' experiences have been and if anyone can relate.

1. DD needs to be woken up to be fed. And she doesn't really even wake up! It's like it doesn't cross her mind until she's ravenous and then she's inconsolable and will not finish. She's gotta be calm to latch, let alone eat, which leads me to:

2. If DD has been crying and eventually calms down enough to eat, she throws up. Is that something anyone else has experienced?

3. DD gags and chokes. I thought it was reflux or something but the dr. says it is her congestion that is draining and she gags on it. Does that sound right?

4. DD sleeps all day with maybe 2-3 shorter wakings. Then she cries through a lot of dinner. She seems to be in pain at night. Is it normal to sleep so much?

5. DD is super congested from the dry air of the house, but I'm sent into asthmatic fits by humidifiers! Especially that darned Vicks cool mist one. Any other ideas for moisturizing her nasal passages?

Thanks friends!

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2011, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I can't comment on 1 and 2, but even though my knowledge is pretty limited I'll see what I can contribute on the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

This girl is so different from DS in so many ways, and now I need to know what others' experiences have been and if anyone can relate.

1. DD needs to be woken up to be fed. And she doesn't really even wake up! It's like it doesn't cross her mind until she's ravenous and then she's inconsolable and will not finish. She's gotta be calm to latch, let alone eat, which leads me to:

2. If DD has been crying and eventually calms down enough to eat, she throws up. Is that something anyone else has experienced?

3. DD gags and chokes. I thought it was reflux or something but the dr. says it is her congestion that is draining and she gags on it. Does that sound right? Sounds right to me, especially since you said she's noticeably congested. Babies tend to gag on any liquid they're not expecting (DS gags if my letdown drips when he's trying to latch) so I would imagine congestion draining would have a similar effect. 

4. DD sleeps all day with maybe 2-3 shorter wakings. Then she cries through a lot of dinner. She seems to be in pain at night. Is it normal to sleep so much? Everything I've heard/read says newborns can sleep easily up to 20 hours/day, so sleepwise she sounds just fine. :) DS seems to be uncomfortable at night and I'm pretty sure it's gas buildup. Does your DD have gas problems?

5. DD is super congested from the dry air of the house, but I'm sent into asthmatic fits by humidifiers! Especially that darned Vicks cool mist one. Any other ideas for moisturizing her nasal passages? Can your DH take her into the bathroom with a steamed up shower? That way she'd get a dose of moist air without you suffering from the humidifier. I've also heard of using saline sprays on babies but besides the side effects and such I don't know that they're recommended for babies that little.

Thanks friends!

Mom to Eli babyboy.gif 10/18/11 and loving wife to Derrin. heartbeat.gif 

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

Old 11-13-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:

I think some babies are like this, and mostly do grow out of it. My DD who is now 2.5 would sleep 6+ hours at night but wasn't gaining well, so I started waking her after 4. There are other tricks to feed a sleepy baby, undress them so they are cold, pump their arm while they nurse, massage the breast to make more milk come faster and wake them up. 

yes I've experienced that. Waking her to feed might help solve this?

3. DD gags and chokes. I thought it was reflux or something but the dr. says it is her congestion that is draining and she gags on it. Does that sound right?

I would keep an eye on that but I assume the Dr can hear that she is congested when listening to her breathing?

4. DD sleeps all day with maybe 2-3 shorter wakings. Then she cries through a lot of dinner. She seems to be in pain at night. Is it normal to sleep so much?

lots of variation in sleep patterns, also I think we forget just how much newborns really do sleep. My second also cried a lot at dinner time. It only lasted a few weeks but was very unpleasant.

5. DD is super congested from the dry air of the house, but I'm sent into asthmatic fits by humidifiers! Especially that darned Vicks cool mist one. Any other ideas for moisturizing her nasal passages?

I agree with the steamy shower/bathroom idea. We do that with all our kids when they are stuffy. Also I've heard spray breastmilk into the nose and then tilt the head back to get some to run in there.

Thanks friends!

poor think I hope she feels better soon and that this all gets worked out. Sounds kind of exhausting for you.

dissertating mom to three

Old 11-13-2011, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Can you catch her before she gets to this point? Could an oversupply lead her to not want to eat?

Could this be oversupply? DS is doing this too. My lc says to lean back when dress rather than forward to keep flow a little less forceful or pull him off when he starts drinking with no breaths between swallows.

DS is really fussy at night. He stops pooping after 12 am and dissent start again till 7 am so he's gassy and uncomfortable till then. I'm not sure why, but maybe has something to do with movement getting his immature digestive system going in the morning.

Thanks friends!

No ideas here. Sorry!

Good luck!

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

Old 11-13-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:

1. DD needs to be woken up to be fed. And she doesn't really even wake up! It's like it doesn't cross her mind until she's ravenous and then she's inconsolable and will not finish. She's gotta be calm to latch, let alone eat, which leads me to:  Yeah, I guess I'd say wake her before that point.  DD seems to be able to do 3-5 hour stretches of sleep for parts of the overnight.  I try not to let her do more than one 5 hour...and actually try to keep it closer to 4 hours max.  Which means waking her...having DH do a diaper change usually does the trick.

3. DD gags and chokes. I thought it was reflux or something but the dr. says it is her congestion that is draining and she gags on it. Does that sound right?  You mean at times when she isn't eating, right?  DD does this, too.  I've been assuming it's "silent reflux" - she doesn't do much in the way of spitting up...but stuff definitely comes part way up and she tries to swallow it back down, and at least a couple times a day she really seems to be gagging/choking and will look distressed/kinda panicked.  I'm going to talk to our ped about it (again) this week at our 1 month appt.  Last time she said normal to have stuff come up (reflux) and for babe to gag on it.  But, I feel like the distress/panic part suggests it's not "normal" and I've read that babies diagnosed with silent reflux can actually choke, have apnea episodes, need to have parents call 911, etc.  Kinda scary.

4. DD sleeps all day with maybe 2-3 shorter wakings. Then she cries through a lot of dinner. She seems to be in pain at night. Is it normal to sleep so much?  This sounds normal.  I remember DS following this pattern.  We'd actually tell people dinner was not a good time for a visit cuz he'd be so fussy.

5. DD is super congested from the dry air of the house, but I'm sent into asthmatic fits by humidifiers! Especially that darned Vicks cool mist one. Any other ideas for moisturizing her nasal passages?  Ugh.  I didn't know humid air could cause asthmatic fits...  Yeah, "steamies" (steamy bathroom time") is something we've done with DS when necessary since he was a baby.  Is your daughter in your bed or in own bed in your room or in her own room?  If she's not in your bed, maybe you could rig up a little room-within-a-room and use a humidifier in there.  When DS was a baby and super congested and we were sharing this room on our third floor that was just too big for our humidifier to be effective, we actually created a "room" right around our bed by taping those big thin plastic painting tarps from the ceiling...we were able to keep that area humid.  Or, if she's ok with being put down for short spells (20 minutes?) maybe you could have a humidifier going in one room of your house and she could spend time in there throughout the day?

Thanks friends!

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

Old 11-14-2011, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. We put her in the steamy shower room last night and ran the Vicks for around 2 hours and then unplugged it. It seemed to really help a lot. Like tons. The thing that happens with the humidifiers is that they create and harbor molds in rooms. Not visible molds, but they make a really cozy atmosphere for them. Hopefully not using it all night will help me. Last night she had one crying jag for around 40 minutes, so that is not that bad. I aggravated it by hosing her nose. She hates that, but it's what makes her gag.

I have been taking l. reuteri and giving her a taste from my pinkie twice a day and it seems to really be helping the stomach trouble as well. I had to buy more because I didn't realize that it could expire, but it's worth the money! Also am cutting out dairy, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers and such acidic foods. Not fun for a foodie like me.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rosemary,
I am cutting out milk, acidic fruits, spicy things, strong flavors, onions, etc. I feel half like I'm starving. Starving for flavor that is...

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

Old 11-14-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Jasper is my first so I may not have much room to give advice, but I notice he does this also...even if I burp him frequently, in fact he tends to do it during a burping anyway.

There have been a few nights when he has woken up while I was pumping (we still have not been able to breastfeed) and I have either not heard him or just had to let him cry for a moment so I can finish up and he tends to either not eat as well or spit up quite a bit at those times :(

Old 11-15-2011, 11:42 AM

My oldest had to be woken up for feeds. Not this girl! But if Maeve gets herself worked up it is hard to get her latched and nursing peacefully.

Maeve spits up all the time. Especially if she has been crying. I think she gets bubbles from crying and then the milk on top of it. So if she burps it also pushes all the milk up.

Maeve totally gets fussy around dinner time. my oldest did the same thing. We call it the witching hour!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 11-15-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:

I have been taking l. reuteri and giving her a taste from my pinkie twice a day and it seems to really be helping the stomach trouble as well. I had to buy more because I didn't realize that it could expire, but it's worth the money! Also am cutting out dairy, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers and such acidic foods. Not fun for a foodie like me.

Is this to help with the reflux? Is it helping? I am considering something like this. Is I. reuteri a probiotic? Sorry for all the ?'s!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 11-15-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:

This will probably change as she grows a wakes up a bit more. In the meantime, it probably would help to wake her before she's likely to be ravenous.

She may be gulping air more when she's crying or unsettled while feeding. The air trying to escape in a burp brings up lots of milk along with it sometimes.

This confuses me a bit. Yes, it makes sense she might gag on congestion draining, but why does the dr. think she's congested - refluxing milk up her nose would be a likely explanation for the congestion, probably more so than a cold or even dry air (that would probably lead to a dry sort of stuffiness I think).

This sounds normal to me. My DD just finally started staying awake for more than 30-45 minutes at a time around 6 weeks old. Fussy at dinner time is super common. They get tired and overstimulated, and gassiness and reflux seem to be worse for many babies at night.

Saline drops followed by nasal aspiration. She'll hate it, but if she's really struggling to breathe through her nose, this is how you can blow her nose for her.

Thanks friends!

Old 11-17-2011, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Now another question: DD can be screaming her head off and miserable, and if I lay her down on her stomach, she will instantly stop and fall asleep. This would be wonderful except for that it freaks me out that she's on her stomach, so I sit next to her the whole time and that gets pretty old. Ideas or advice?

Old 11-17-2011, 10:12 AM

all our moms know that babies sleep better on their stomachs.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

i'm totally losing it today. She cries constantly, my ds is being soooo hard, and I took the suggestion of having his friend over to distract him, and I had to run so much interference it was insane. Then the kid shit his pants (this is a 3 year old) while the baby was crying, and I had to change his nasty cloth diaper and put the screaming baby down to do it. So hideous. I feel like I can't handle my life. I feel like I'm in an awful, shrinking cage. gloomy.gif

Old 11-17-2011, 11:05 AM

I could have written your post, Rosemary..Claire cried all.night.long. with gas.  stinky, painful gas.  And she was "staaaaarving" (I knew she wasn't) but everytime I fed her she projectile spit-up rivers of milk all over me and the bed.  Baby is finally sleeping and DD just had a screaming fit in classic, irrational 2yo style...she has a poopy diaper I can smell across the room but she won't let me near her to change it (because we went from potty training to refusing to acknowledge she ever pees or poops..."NO, I not poopy, Mommy!!") and she chose today to colour on the walls for the first time.

DSC_0791.JPG

Good times.

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

Old 11-17-2011, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Beth, I'm so sorry. What have we done to ourselves?!? (lol, sorta) I called my mom and had a real cry and then miraculously the baby fell asleep and I put her in a warm blanket and was able to put her down (so that I could pee, and eat my delicious lunch of a banana and some brown rice.) My mom offered to come here, but I couldn't even handle that idea because she spoils ds so much that we have to put him in behavioral rehab after every visit. I did tell her something like this, only more gently. She actually seemed to get it. I can't wait for dh to come home. We've been going to bed at like 7.30 lately.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:38 PM

ladies I hope tomorrow is better for you. some sleep can make a huge difference in our outlook on life, that is for sure.

User Tag List