Chat Thread: 11/13-11/19 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 11-17-2011, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

wow, emma, I don't know how you do it putting 3 to bed plus yourself. I know for me getting ready is not two second affair these days, either.

eta: leiahs, cool about getting your records!

trinket--sorry you had a rough time at the screening.

white noise: this is music to iona's ears. i turn it on and she stops crying instantly. so i bought it... but from itunes.

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Colic-White-Noise-Babies/dp/B003R4AMC2

Rosemary, married  mama to Pascal 3/08 and expecting #2 on Halloween.
#32 of 51 Old 11-17-2011, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

white noise: this is music to iona's ears. i turn it on and she stops crying instantly. so i bought it... but from itunes.

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Colic-White-Noise-Babies/dp/B003R4AMC2

DS was always soothed by the soft dulcet sounds of the vacuum cleaner.  Or really loud radio static.  Or mommy trying to imitate a very loud vacuum cleaner (which can make your throat dry and a bit sore after a while).  He still sleeps with white noise (fan or humidifier).  We use a fan in our room, too.  Good for kinda drowning out meowing cat noises, and I think DD like it, too.

Ped visit good.  Annika weighed in at 10.5 lbs (birth 9 lbs 2 oz, lowest weight 8 lbs 10 oz).  I will now stop obsessing over whether nursing only 8 times a day is not enough.  Ped also says she doubts the pulmonologist will find anything wrong...and that Annika's resp rate may just be what's normal for her.  Which is what I was saying in the beginning.  But all the medical people were saying, "She's trying to tell us something isn't right!"  Whatever.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#33 of 51 Old 11-17-2011, 02:00 PM

Hi all ... reading along but haven't posted here yet. H is up to 11 pounds! We had our 6 week Farewell Midwife appointment yesterday and the midwife figures that I could stop supplementing if I want!  H has been gaining 40 grams a day, and they're happy with half that, so yay for more milk this time! This after supplementing my older child for a year!  I don't know if I'll stop but I am trying a day off today to see how H reacts.  So far so good! 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#34 of 51 Old 11-17-2011, 02:28 PM

that's exciting, starling!

#35 of 51 Old 11-17-2011, 03:13 PM

Yay Starling!

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

#36 of 51 Old 11-17-2011, 03:19 PM

yay starling!!!

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#37 of 51 Old 11-17-2011, 04:45 PM

Starling! That is fantastic news!! Go boobies go! And 11 pounds?! Way to gain little buddy.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#38 of 51 Old 11-17-2011, 07:02 PM

Ahhhhhhhh!! This is the third time I've written a post here and it somehow keeps getting erased!!!! So annoying.

Landon had his 2 week Dr appt today. Weighs 7 lbs 13 oz. Last Thursday he was 7 lbs 6 oz. Of course he hasn't pooped in about 6 days.....so there must be a lot of poop up in there. I just hope he is gaining what he needs to gain. With my breastfeeding issues I worry about him getting all that he needs to eat.

Somewhere there was talk about waking up worrying that we haven't heard from our babies in a few hours......and to solve that for myself we bought the AngelCare monitor that sounds an alarm when he doesn't move for more than 20 seconds. Gives me so much peace of mind. Otherwise I know that I would be thinking about him all night long. We don't co-sleep, he is in a crib in our room though.

I will have to write more tomorrow. I'm so tired, and don't feel like writing up all that I had written up twice already.

Chelsea, loving mama to Landon, born 11/3

#39 of 51 Old 11-18-2011, 04:29 AM

Our first snow!!! It is almost 730am and my 4 & 2 yr olds are outside in their snowsuits cold.gif

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#40 of 51 Old 11-18-2011, 05:32 AM

Chelsea, I'm glad you've found some peace of mind. I'm freakish about startling the baby when she's asleep if I don't hear the breaths. I was like that with ds also. I wish that I was a more relaxed mother.

Lost it last night. Lost.it. DD was crying so loudly and I was taking it so personally. I just lost it weeping and dh came and got her and of course, she fell right asleep for him. I pulled the covers over my head and cried and cried. My nerves are shot. I'd swim in the ocean with sharks today if it meant that she wouldn't scream that way any more. She's hurting, clearly, and I think it is a waiting game as it was with ds because he outgrew that screaming thing after 6 weeks. Still screamed but less frequently, and started showing other more pleasant signs of being a human baby and not a tortured porpoise.

#41 of 51 Old 11-18-2011, 05:58 AM

Hmm, I have an Angelcare, but I hadn't considered using it before she was sleeping her room (which DH and I have decided won't happen in the foreseeable future).  How is it with false alarms?  I might set it up today so I get some cleaning done.  I need to crawl around on the floor and bend over to get some stuff done, so wearing her won't really work.  She did good again last night, woke up for an hour at 3:00 and then was up for the day at 6:30.  Not bad, she was asleep by 10.  I really hope this continues.  I'm one of those people who requires ten hours usually to function, so this has been pretty rough.  I'm glad that we are through with the first weeks of up every single hour.  I'm getting stressed over my babes weight.  The doctor had hoped she had gained more at her one month.  She eats a lot, and I have been supplementing when she is done with the breast and starts screaming and banging her head against it.  Usually she'll take an extra 3-4 oz of formula a few times a day.  She just seems so little in comparison with all these other gainers.  Her newborn diapers are still pretty big on her, and she's almost six weeks.  We have lots of wet diapers, it has been a couple days without a bowel movement, but that seems pretty typical for this age.  She's passing gas. Any BTDT moms with littler babes/slow gainers who came out unscathed?  Reassure me, I started crying yesterday when DH was looking at some pictures of my friend's newborn and he commented how much bigger he was than Aurora.  

Rosemary, I hope things get better with Iona soon.  :(

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#42 of 51 Old 11-18-2011, 06:58 AM

livacreature, people come in all sizes. if your pediatrician is not concerned, try not to worry too much. they are generally pretty conservative with that stuff. My understanding is that they pretty much want to see that kids are staying on a good growth curve FOR THEM, not compared with other babies. My DS (now 7) had some friends who were small babies. They are still fairly small kids, but they are a LOT bigger than they used to be and they are doing just fine!

Rosemary... hugs! I hope that Iona grows out of this soon. Its awful when they are just screaming. And take your rest when you can, for sure.

dissertating mom to three

#43 of 51 Old 11-18-2011, 10:58 AM

Rosemary: hug2.gif Try to rest up and take care of yourself. It's so much harder for me to calm my baby when I'm exhausted.
#44 of 51 Old 11-18-2011, 11:37 AM

here is my problem: now that the utter exhaustion of the first 2 weeks is past, I can't seem to settle down and nap with either or both of the girls. But I am still freaking tired. AH. I try to at least lie down for 15 or 20 minutes. I figure a rest still helps? Anyone else have this problem?

#45 of 51 Old 11-18-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post

here is my problem: now that the utter exhaustion of the first 2 weeks is past, I can't seem to settle down and nap with either or both of the girls. But I am still freaking tired. AH. I try to at least lie down for 15 or 20 minutes. I figure a rest still helps? Anyone else have this problem?

I've done this at night.  She's not waking up every hour or two, more like every three and a half to four, but I'm still waking up and can't sleep even though I'm tired.  It sucks!  Resting even when not sleeping is better than nothing, though.  Put in some quiet, relaxing music, maybe bust out some aromatherapy oil, close your eyes, and breath.

AFM: Trying not to wonder about her size.  She went from being in the tenth percentile at birth to now being smaller than the third percentile.  The doctor just wasn't very reassuring.  He kept saying he'd like to see more gain but what she had was pretty much adequate since she seemed fine otherwise.  For reference, she is in one of her preemie sleepers right now at almost six weeks (even though she is well above the five pound weight on the size chart).  She can wear newborn stuff, but it is pretty loose and too long.  When she cries, you can see her abs, she's cut!  I guess I spent the whole pregnancy geared up and worried about a big baby due to the diabetes, that having a little one kind of throws me off.  Oh well, she's eating, she's sleeping, following sound and light, and seeming more engaged.  Those are the things I need to focus on.  And I need to remember I wore a 6X in little girls when I started middle school. ;-)

In other news, today she has the smelliest gas.  She stinks.  I could smell her when we went for a walk in the Moby, heck, I can smell her now in her bassinet from a few feet away.  I'm dreading this poop when it comes.  I have a feeling it is going to be a mess!  I also got $85 worth of prints and such from shutterfly for $10 real money between a $20 gift card and some coupon codes.  I was psyched!

#46 of 51 Old 11-18-2011, 12:43 PM

livacreature ... My first was a very little baby.  She was on the 3rd percentile on the charts until she started solids.  No one ever used "failure to thrive" because they weren't concerned, really, as that's not their style.  As my (very skinny and very short) pediatrician said, "Someone has to be on the third percentile." Now dd is average for her age (three years) and is bright and healthy and quite physically solid. 

I was so worried about her, and I worry now again about my supply with ds, even though he is gaining so well and the supplements aren't essential at this point, according to the scales.  But I tell you ... my nerves were so shot from dealing with my daughter's early weeks and lack of weight gain that I don't think I'll ever regain the confidence I lost.  It's truly nerve wracking, isn't it? 

rosemary ... regarding the tortured porpoise, ds is seven weeks and I can now say that he grew out of it as his gut matured.  I hope the same is true for you!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#47 of 51 Old 11-18-2011, 01:11 PM

livacreature: My daughter was also tiny. She gained very slowly and wasn't on the growth chart until recently. (almost 3) My Dr just checked that she was growing on her own growth curve which she was. We did do some extra weight checks for a while but developmentally she was right on track or even ahead. She did turn out to have an intolerance to gluten which we discovered several months after starting solids but she is doing great and gaining well now. It's hard to not worry though, I know!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#48 of 51 Old 11-18-2011, 01:29 PM
~pi

Rosemary, HUGS.

Emma, I haven't been able to nap for weeks. I can sleep in, though. DH is doing early mornings; I handle late nights.

I have built up a tiny stash of milk this week by pumping when I could, and tomorrow night, I am going to sleep in the guest room BY MYSELF ALL NIGHT. I am so excited.

It was a PD day today at school, and I took both kids to a museum to meet a couple of friends with their school-aged kids. Overall it went well, though really, why do the diaper blowouts always have to happen when I'm out, on my own, and people are waiting for me? Is it a corollary to Murphy's Law or something? They went to a movie afterward; I was done and I knew the movie would not be appreciated by DS1, so I bought him a dinosaur cookie, we went for a walk in the sunshine over to DH's office, eating the aforementioned cookie along the way, popped up to say hi to DH, and then took the train home.

Such a nice day -- it hit all four of the things that help me feel good postpartum: 1) getting out of the house, 2) sunshine, 3) walking, and 4) socializing. I've been doing well with the first three but not so much the last one, so I think I'm going to focus more on that. As it gets colder and darker, I'm feeling closer to the edge of the cliff of sadness, not to mention way more irritable. DS2 was screaming yesterday while we were out walking and I nearly bit the head off some a woman who went by and felt the need to comment. (Her: "Wow, he's not happy, huh?" Me, snappishly and sarcastically: "No, he's thrilled. That's why he's crying.")

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#49 of 51 Old 11-18-2011, 03:37 PM

I had to go to the DMV today to renew my license (finally turned 21 and get my big girl license!). I was leaving the building, with DS in the ring sling. He was bundled up in a warm outfit, mitts, socks, and a hat, then snuggled in the sling against me, then with a fuzzy blanket wrapped around that. This woman walked by and said, "Is there a baby in there?" When I said yes, she said in this horrified voice, "It's COLD out here, you know!" Yes... it is (although close to 60 F by this time of the afternoon). And what warmer place IS there for a baby then curled up against mama's chest with a blanket on him? I don't get people. irked.gif

On another note... DS had his 1 month appointment today. From an 8lb 8oz birth weight and a low weight of 8lb 1oz, he's now 11 lbs 3 oz!!! Go baby go! He's gonna be big fat baby like I was as a babe. My mom said my brothers and I never played with our toes because we couldn't get to our feet--too many rolls! orngtongue.gif

ETA: livacreature, what starling said. Someone has to be in the third percentile. As long as she's otherwise healthy, I'm sure she's fine. Just means you get to see her in those adorable preemie/newborn clothes for longer! I'm sadly packing up DS's newborn clothing right now.

Mom to Eli babyboy.gif 10/18/11 and loving wife to Derrin. heartbeat.gif 

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

#50 of 51 Old 11-18-2011, 03:56 PM

Trinket, I have gotten that "it's cold" crap so often with dd in the moby. It is nuts. People need to mind their business

#51 of 51 Old 11-18-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

Emma, I haven't been able to nap for weeks. I can sleep in, though. DH is doing early mornings; I handle late nights.

[...]

DS2 was screaming yesterday while we were out walking and I nearly bit the head off some a woman who went by and felt the need to comment. (Her: "Wow, he's not happy, huh?" Me, snappishly and sarcastically: "No, he's thrilled. That's why he's crying.")

if only DH didn't have to leave for work at 6:30AM... he gets up first but I hardly get to "sleep in", sigh

as for the second part, good retort!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page