Growth spurt or other insanity? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-14-2011, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD is in the middle of some crazies.  For starters, she's little, around 5th percentile for height and weight.  Very healthy, very alert, generally a good sleeper.  The past two days she has been eating constantly.  I'm talking this morning she was latched and sucking for 3 hours.  She was up every 45 minutes last night to eat.  Today, after she sucked me dry (I know she was getting milk, she is a very messy little eater), she continued to fuss, so I gave in and did some formula.  First two ounces, more hungry fussing, then another two ounces.  She is finally asleep.  Growth spurt?  She's five weeks old today.  We're getting ready for another breastfeeding session now.  She's been more gassy since this gluttony started, too, which contributes to the crying.  She screams whenever she farts.  Anything I can do to make her more comfortable?  Quickly increase supply to keep up with in so I don't have to supplement?

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#2 of 9 Old 11-14-2011, 09:53 AM

my DD is 5 days younger than yours, and she just started doing some insane cluster feeds yesterday.  Maybe it's growth spurt time.

#3 of 9 Old 11-21-2011, 01:29 AM

My baby was doing the same. At her 2 week check up she was only 20 inches, 1/2 inch more than when she wasborn . A week later she literally had to eat almost every hour or so. She went from 2 oz to 4oz (unfortunately shes a formula baby). By the fourth week she was almost a full 22 inches.

#4 of 9 Old 11-21-2011, 01:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

1 - breasfeed

2 - eat, drink, go to the restroom

3- sleep whenever you can (ANY micro nap during the day that you can, even just 20 min at a time)

4 - drop all the rest of your chores for a little while

#5 of 9 Old 11-21-2011, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

I should also add that she never sleeps during the day, but is giving me a six and a four hour stretch each night, so I'm thinking the non-stop eating might be her way of fueling up after and before a long night without feeding.  She's done this for five days straight, which is pretty awesome.  She hasn't slept during the day since she was about three weeks old, outside a doze when we go for walks or a few minutes after eating.  I'm getting a little nervous because I'm going to be working weekends soon, and don't have much of a pumped supply built up.  I can't seem to pump more than an ounce or two at a time.  She looks taller, but I think is skinnier than ever if that is possible judging from these diapers!  I've just settled that she is getting a few ounces of formula each day.  I'd rather have her happy and full than hold on to an ideal.

#6 of 9 Old 11-21-2011, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Yes, it's normal. I'd skip the formula if I were you, because it will mess with your supply if she's gaining alright. Sounds like she likes to suck and will suck the bottle and wow, bonus! liquid comes out. if it is hard for you to eat or do anything, make or have someone else make you some pbj sandwiches and put them in your freezer or fridge soyou can grab them when you're hungry. cluster feeding makes me eat.gif

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#7 of 9 Old 11-21-2011, 06:53 AM

My DD is 6 weeks now, and has had a couple periods where she eats like crazy. It seemed to be over after a couple days. Then yesterday she hardly ate all afternoon, which was different.  Maybe try interrupting feeding to burp her more often to help with gas? The bottle will give her even more gas. We had to get very vigilant about getting burps out after we introduced the bottle.

#8 of 9 Old 11-21-2011, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

nak

She's been a really slow gainer so I'm hesitant not to respond right away  I actually tried getting her to nurse during the night because was worried about it, she yelled at me (not a cry, a rather startling yell), wouldn't latch, and konked out again, so I guess that meant she really wasn't hungry, lol. It has gone from a couple times a day to once in the evening with formula, so I think I am catching up supplywise.  At least I'm getting sleep and DH jusy saw two days of the reason I get nothing else done!

#9 of 9 Old 11-21-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livacreature View Post DH jusy saw two days of the reason I get nothing else done!

this is important for DHs to see or be reminded of from time to time. maybe she just thought she'd better educate him ;)

dissertating mom to three

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page