Traveling with a newborn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-19-2011, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know a lot of you have experience with this--whereas my knowledge extends only to a few hours at a friend's house 45 minutes away. So I decided to tap the vast wisdom of this DDC.

On Tuesday, DH and baby and I are headed up to NY for Thanksgiving with his family. We'll be there two nights and leave Thursday afternoon/evening. It's about a 5 hour trip (pre-baby).

Any advice on packing or handling long drives? How many diapers do you bring? Outfits? In a real pinch I can do laundry since we'll be at MIL's, but I'd rather not. You can't really bring toys for a month old baby--do you just hope they sleep in the car? Any tips you have to make life easier would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ladies!

Mom to Eli babyboy.gif 10/18/11 and loving wife to Derrin. heartbeat.gif 

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

#2 of 7 Old 11-19-2011, 09:06 AM

babe in arms, excuse typos

we just got back from a trip to DH's family - about 4hr by car!

I have a spit-upper (and my dd1 is occasionally car sick) so my #1 tip is tp be overprepared for messes.  Have everything you need to clean up a big puke or diaper blowout in one bag, easily accessable so you don't have to dig in the trunk on the side of the highway .  Wipes, papertowel, cloth diapers, a wetbag or plastic bag, several complete changes of clothing, a clean blanket (or two), a bottle of water and some wascloths, all at the ready.

You might want to lay a light flannel recieving blanket under him to keep the seat clean.

Related - make sure your backseat isn't too hot.  Ours gets warmer than the front and that makes them more likely to be sick.  light clothes plus a blanket instead of heavy, warm clothing

Claire slept the whole way, both ways.  I did take a soother just in case, even though she doesn't normally use one.  Better than hours of screaming in case of gas etc

If he's awake for parts of the trip, you might want to sit in back for a little while so he isn't too bored.  and/or bring some toys to hang for him to look at

Packing for 2 nights.....again, she spits up so I pack lots.....I would pack as many outfits as you can - they don't tke up much room.  

Are you taking cloth or disposibles?  I would take a bag of disposables or most of my cloth - you can keep most of them in the car and just take in a day's worth or whatever at a time

Take plenty of blankets/recieving blankets, burp cloths etc, whatever you normally use

I'll ptobaby think of more, later :)

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#3 of 7 Old 11-19-2011, 09:08 AM

We are doing a similar trip, only it's about 7 hour drive (pre-baby) and we're staying 3 nights.

Tips- time it so that you leave during a sleepy time and right after a feed. Plan stops on your way so that you know where you can stop. But our plan is to drive while he's asleep and not stop until he's awake (and then i'll nurse every time we stop).

Clothes- I am planning 2 outfits and 1 pj for each day. He probably won't use them all, but he is a spitter so I'd rather have too many than not enough.

Diapers- he use disposables and we will be 10 minutes away from a walmart so if we run out I can always buy a pack. I will pack 10 for each day, but he often uses more than that (he's a big pooper) so we might need to buy more there. I'm okay with that.

Other than that we're just hoping for the best! We got older ds a dvd player for the car so we're hoping that helps him deal with the extended time in the car (he does ok with the 7 hour trips, but I expect it will end up closer to 8-9 hours with the baby). We make this trip every other month (court ordered so I don't have a choice) so hopefully Kai does ok! Kai and I also have to do this trip alone in a few weeks (without dh or older ds) and i'm much more nervous about that.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#4 of 7 Old 11-19-2011, 01:12 PM
~pi

nak

tips for packing:

- what pps said

- also, extra water for you

- first few trips with ds1, we took cloth diapers with us. now we always use disposables when traveling.

tips for smooth travel:

- plan to take a little longer (I would plan for 7-8 hours and then if it's shorter it's a pleasant surprise)

- having BTDT, I now always aim to stop before the kid loses his mind. on the other hand, if baby is traveling well, no need to stop and wake him.

- have music to a) entertain or b) drown out baby if needed

- try to travel during a time baby is likely to be sleeping

tips for going faster:

- pump & give a bottle rather than stopping to nurse (my sister used to do this in the car: she pumped while her dh drove and then she held bottle for baby)

- at a certain point, if baby is just not happy in car or out, you had might as well keep going. our first trip with ds1 is normally a 6 hour trip; with him at 3 months old, it took 12. after that, we stopped trying to make sure he was 100% content all the time. we got places faster and he seemed happier overall.

overall, i would expect it will be no big deal. if your babe does shorter car trips a-ok, you should be fine, so long as you are prepared for the possibility of extra stops and a longer trip.

oh, and a mirror so you can see the baby can be really helpful for you and interesting for baby. we have this one.

have a great time with family!

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#5 of 7 Old 11-19-2011, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katico View Post

You might want to lay a light flannel recieving blanket under him to keep the seat clean.

If he's awake for parts of the trip, you might want to sit in back for a little while so he isn't too bored.  and/or bring some toys to hang for him to look at

Packing for 2 nights.....again, she spits up so I pack lots.....I would pack as many outfits as you can - they don't tke up much room.  

Are you taking cloth or disposibles?

The receiving blanket is a great idea. I have several light cotton ones that I use for swaddling that will work great. He usually sleeps really well in the car, so I hope I won't need to spend much time in the back. Good idea about just packing tons of outfits--they really are tiny!

I'm taking disposables; we're still running on baby shower diapers so I haven't thought about starting cloth yet. Great ideas, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post

Tips- time it so that you leave during a sleepy time and right after a feed.
Diapers- he use disposables and we will be 10 minutes away from a walmart so if we run out I can always buy a pack. I will pack 10 for each day, but he often uses more than that (he's a big pooper) so we might need to buy more there. I'm okay with that.
Other than that we're just hoping for the best! We got older ds a dvd player for the car so we're hoping that helps him deal with the extended time in the car (he does ok with the 7 hour trips, but I expect it will end up closer to 8-9 hours with the baby). We make this trip every other month (court ordered so I don't have a choice) so hopefully Kai does ok! Kai and I also have to do this trip alone in a few weeks (without dh or older ds) and i'm much more nervous about that.

He does nap for a good chunk of the afternoon, which is when we have to leave, so hopefully that will work out well. Good point about being able to buy diapers. I think I'll just bring the whole unopened pack that we have and that should more than last us. I'm really hoping the trip won't end up too much longer than normal... but it probably will. I told DH to estimate 7 hours, giving us an extra 2 hours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

- pump & give a bottle rather than stopping to nurse (my sister used to do this in the car: she pumped while her dh drove and then she held bottle for baby)

- at a certain point, if baby is just not happy in car or out, you had might as well keep going. our first trip with ds1 is normally a 6 hour trip; with him at 3 months old, it took 12. after that, we stopped trying to make sure he was 100% content all the time. we got places faster and he seemed happier overall.

Great ideas! We just gave him his first bottle the other night and he seemed to do OK with it. I should think about doing that. It certainly would be faster than stopping to nurse! It's nice to hear someone say it's sometimes just not practical to try to keep them happy all the time. DS is really a very content baby, and generally loves the car, but sometimes he decides to be grumpy, and then what are you supposed to do? Just stop until they're happy to be in the car? That might NEVER happen!

Mom to Eli babyboy.gif 10/18/11 and loving wife to Derrin. heartbeat.gif 

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

#6 of 7 Old 11-20-2011, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

We used to have to drive several hours in the car with dd when she was very young as we were going to the midwives at first and then relocating and had to house hunt ... the car trips were a challenge!

My best tip was to ace the skill of nursing while dp was driving, if you can ... I sat in the back with the baby and hung my boob over the edge of the carseat, with my lap belt still on but the shoulder one tucked behind me.  Made for a much smoother trip!

Our rule was that you never wake a sleeping baby! Bring enough snacks and drinks for yourselves so that you don't have to stop.  We went through drive-thrus a couple of times in desperation because dd would wake if the car was turned off ... be warned!

If you have to stop and get out to go pee, try to wait for when baby wakes, but if you can't wait, then find somewhere where you can keep the car running and take turns staying in the car.  Another tip for the babe not to wake when you stop the car is to keep the radio or music on the whole time you're in the car at all (so as not to get him too used to the quiet) and turn on the heater fan for a bit of white noise while you stop the car (and keep the engine running!)

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#7 of 7 Old 11-20-2011, 12:58 PM

I just did a flight from Seattle to Denver with my newbie. The biggest problem was packing donated breastmilk - I have low supply, so we needed to pack a bunch of milk in checked luggage, plus the extra milk I needed for the flight itself.
I packed light for the trip, with an extra outfit for me, one for the baby, three dipes, his milk, my meds, and that's it. He fell asleep and did just fine. We did blow out an outfit on the plane, but I waited until we hit the airport to deal, it was only about 20 minutes more.
Cloth diapers weren't a big deal. I washed at my destination.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page