Chat Thread: 11/20-11/26 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 170 Old 11-24-2011, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy Thanksgiving to the Americans here!!!! Can't wait to eat all the yummy food later. I might even have a glass of wine tonight, after Landon is in bed. Oh how I miss having a glass of wine!!

We dtd this morning! After Landon was up at 3:30am it just sort of happened. No pain or other problems. Yay!

We are going to Skype with all my family in Seattle later this evening. They can't wait to see Landon.

Lo-jack, yes, Landon knows exactly where I am and if I leave the room. If I put him down you would think something terrible is happening with how he screams about it. Sorry little guy, mama has to go to the bathroom, eat, and just do other things every once in a while. He is going to have a very hard time on Monday, when I am back to work. I will not be able to sit around holding him all day like I do now.

I have a moby, and can't figure out how to use it. I've tried several times, and read the instruction booklet. It's like I can't get it tight enough or something. Wish that I knew someone around me that could show me. All my friends here have no idea what a moby is.

Chelsea, loving mama to Landon, born 11/3

#62 of 170 Old 11-24-2011, 10:52 AM

Chelsea, I've heard that there are videos on YouTube that show how to use the Moby. Maybe that will help?

AFM, Corbin's better. He was constipated - what came out of him was awful. He's had some nasty blowouts, but this was the first diaper that made me cough and unable to breathe. Ugh.

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

#63 of 170 Old 11-24-2011, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

karli - glad to hear corbin is feeling better.

chelsea - there are some great vids on youtube for babywearing. With my stretchy wrap I found I had to put it on much tighter than I originally thought - it almost seems like there won't be room for baby but magically they do fit. I don't use mine very often though as I can't seem to figure out how to bf in it & that's all my girl wants to do when she's near me.

afm - this sleep "schedule" is killing me. Dd's up until around 2:00am every night & then nurses at least once between then & when ds gets up between 7:30-8:00. Ds still often wakes up once in the night & it most often is around 4:00am. The 4-5 hours of interrupted sleep is just wearing me down. Dh tries to get me a nap during the day but it just doesn't seem to amount to enough ever. My whole body just hurts right now - I might miss tomorrow's workout 'cause I don't think I can handle any more muscle soreness. Ds is over with mil - again - I just cannot stand how much time he is over there right now & some of the stuff that comes with that but it is saving me right now sending him there. Sigh. I know this is temporary & she'll shift into a different sleep "schedule" any day but gosh it feels like it's neverending.

But tonight I am going to an aromatherapy/essential oils session! I am really looking forward to it. This lady who is teaching it made an amazing bug repellent this summer that we used so I'm interested to see what is on board tonight (all I know is it is Christmas themed).

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#64 of 170 Old 11-24-2011, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

chelsea ... it's okay not to like your Moby, if that's what it comes down to.  You won't lose any street cred, promise!  Three years ago (with my first infant) I wanted to love my Moby, but I just didn't.  I never liked it, no matter how many youtube vids I watched.

This time I tried a Baby Buddha in it's place (also jersey) and I don't love it either.  I've decided that I am not a jersey material fan.  I like my woven wraps, sling, Ergo and Beco. 

poop:  (Because we're always talking poop, right?) Day six or seven (lost count!) of no poo.  I live in terror. 

Glad Corbin feels better!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#65 of 170 Old 11-25-2011, 12:24 PM

agree with lifeguard: tie a wrap carrier way tighter than you'd think. Like, pretty tight. Then when you spread out the material and shift it around, baby fits like magic.

dissertating mom to three

#66 of 170 Old 11-25-2011, 12:31 PM

Hi Ladies!  I've felt so MIA here... have been reading a bit here and there from my phone, but haven't been able to post.  Just to jump right in though, I love the moby wrap... I use it every day, and Palesa naps here.

We're in Colorado now for a month visiting family, and DH is looking for jobs out here.  Having a great time... grandparents and Aunt/Uncle are all in love with Palesa, and we've been really enjoying the time with family.  

We had two really great thanksgivings... one with my mom & stepdad (as well as sister & BIL), and one with my dad.  Yesterday, DH and my BIL did ALL the cooking, and it was amazing.  DH made pumpkin pies and sweet potato pies, and we are all convinced that sweet potato is even better.

Poop is great... we've had a few blowouts, but we've been trying EC, and every time we've offered it to her, she's pooped and peed in it.  We definitely don't catch everything, but we aim for once a day.

Silly question, but how do you add the little tag line on your posts? (i.e. Emma's that says "dissertating mom to three")

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#67 of 170 Old 11-25-2011, 12:37 PM

I wish I had time to reply to all the things going on since I last posted.  Family's still in town, and I'm just sneaking on here in a brief moment of down-time.  (Hard to manage in a house with 20 people, one of them being a newborn...)

Thanksgiving was awesome.  We actually managed to go OVER our pie-per-person tradition, with a couple last-minute additions (SIL wanted to make pecan pie, as it's something I had never tasted before, and it's tradition to her).  We had 25 pies for 21 attendants.  Insanity!!  But oh-so-good, especially when you get pumpkin pie for breakfast the next day.  ;)

384801_10150390189107205_719027204_8723579_1590732937_n.jpg

I posted a picture of Malcolm in the baby pic thread, but here's a quick pic of all 4 of my kids sporting their hand-painted turkey shirts!

385002_10150390185007205_719027204_8723560_1982967579_n.jpg

Poor DH has been super grumpy when he gets home from work, thanks to feeling bitter about working on the holiday.  His boss ended up giving them permission to leave around 3 or 4 (which would have given them about a 9 hour shift instead of 12), but a machine broke (which it always seems to do) and though DH was planning on leaving at 3pm, he had to stay until after 4:30 fixing it (sent the other guys home).  Not even the leftovers and pie extravaganza could cheer him up.  :(

Malcolm's still doing great.  I've found he sleeps really soundly when he's swaddled.  So while we're at MIL's all weekend, he's been sleeping either in my sling or in the pack-n-play while swaddled.  Everyone thinks he's an angel baby, because he's hardly fussed a bit.  And he's really fallen into a wonderful bedtime pattern - sleeping for the night somewhere between 10-11pm (which is when we also go to bed), and waking at 5am and 7am, sometimes skipping the 5am.  It's always within 15-20 minutes of the hour.  I've never had such a predictable baby, and it's lovely.  (Thank goodness he's my 4th, instead of one of my fussier babies!)  He's starting to space his poops out a bit more, too.  Past few days he's only pooped once a day, but it's been a bit more than 24 hours apart, which makes me think he's working towards even less than once a day.  Hoping we're not going to get *too* spaced apart, though... the stories of blowouts do not have me eager to go down that road again.  ;)  Also, the smiling!  He's really getting going now!  I took him out with me this morning to buy fabric at Black Friday prices, and when I got him out of the car he gave me the BIGGEST smile ever, like it was the most awesome thing to see me after a 15 min drive!  Love this kid to death, I do.  love.gif

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#68 of 170 Old 11-25-2011, 02:40 PM

Leiahs - I'm hard-pressed to decide which photo I love better....your adorable kids in their awesome turkey shirts...or all those adorably awesome pies and pies and pies...

Poop - DD had her first major poop blowout last night when we were at my parents' for Thanksgiving (of course).  While we were chowing down, she was sleeping and being "quietly alert" in her carseat next to me and my mom.  At one point I looked over and said, "hmm...I think she's making a poop."  Then I went back to eating and didn't think about it again.  It was only after dinner was over (pre-dessert) and my sister was interacting with her that the blowout was discovered.  Thank goodness we did have an extra change of clothes for her.  DH did the actual changing...lucky for me...although I did help clean her back off.

Sleep - DD has been doing something new and not so fun the last couple days.  After she nurses sometime between 4:30-5:30am she spends the next few hours totally restless (squirmy, making loud noises) so DH and I can't go back to sleep.  Totally frustrating.  I think there's a gas issue...this morning I noticed she'd get fussy, fart, go back to sleep, a few minutes later get squirmy, fart, go back to sleep, repeat.  But, also, this morning I tried just offering the boob again (maybe 1-1.5 hours after the last time she nursed) and she ate and went back to sleep for a while.  So maybe growth spurt coupled with gassiness?

Baby Clothing - I've been trying to hold off on buying stuff for DD cuz we do have plenty of stuff from DS (and I always bought stuff I'd put on a girl or boy...basically I always asked myself if it was something I'd wear...)....but I succumbed to sales.  DS did not have any dresses...and while I do think pants tend to be way more practical for little kids, I did buy two cute things from Mini Boden and some stuff from Tea cuz they were both having a sale.  http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Baby-Dresses/73048-NAV/Baby-French-Blue_Owl-Fun-Pocket-Pinafore.html  http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Baby-Dresses/71153-PRP/Baby-Dusty-Purple_Cat-Knitted-Dress.html  I bought them in sizes that she can wear when she's more young toddler aged and hopefully walking more.  Cute cute cute...and not pink. winky.gif

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#69 of 170 Old 11-25-2011, 05:32 PM

Oy - I think I gained weight just looking at that table of pies! YUM!!!

Dh is gone away for the weekend & I told him flat out I was jealous & a little bitter about it. I think he was already feeling a tad guilty about it but that put it over the top (I wasn't trying to guilt him just being honest with him) so this morning before he left he cooked up a bunch of meals & put them in the fridge, started the slow cooker for tonight's supper, brought in enough wood for the weekend & laid the fire so I just needed to light it. He also secretly told his mom to stay around to help (which realllllly was NOT something I would have wanted). I still think it is a little unfair he gets to go away all by himself for a weekend & SLEEP & not have any child responsibilities. It seems even when I do get away (which obviously won't be for awhile with dd) I still bring ds... sorry for the rant.

#70 of 170 Old 11-25-2011, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

not_telling, love the dresses!

Leiahs the pies and shirts! all yummy!

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#71 of 170 Old 11-25-2011, 07:50 PM

Hey guys I have been reading but not posting. It's hard to type.  But DS finally is hanging out in his swing!  It's a big deal since he gets really upset anytime we put him down and aren't holding him.

I hope you all had a nice thanksgiving.  Leiahs those pies look amazing.  We had pumpkin and chocolate pies and I feel all pied out.  I can't imagine how much I would over do myself if there were that many options available to me!  I was worried about our first family holiday together mostl because my partner and I don't really celebrate holidays all that much and now that we have a child I feel like it is more important.  We ended up going over a friends house and it was just our family of 3 and theirs of 4 and it was really nice.  Pretty much like hanging out only there was a lot of food involved.  I love my family but I am glad they aren't super close and we are not obligated to do the huge family thing.  We are big into Halloween and are from the Halloween capital so we plan on going up there every Halloween and spending time with family then. It is actually perfect since although DS wasn't born on halloween his birthday is pretty close to it so he can see family for his birthday every year.

poop- Ds is still pooping a million times a day and the only blow out we had was due to a really awfully designed cloth diaper.  I bought it because it is locally made and I figured I would support the business as well as try another type of cloth diaper.  FAIL.  It leaked all 3 times we used it.  I am going to try and sell it at the consignment shop and hope someone else has better luck with it.  I am really looking forward to when the pooping slows down.  He seems to go so often.

not-telling Ds had been doing the squirmy thing too after his morning feedings in bed.  I was wondering if it was due to me not burping him when we nurse at night.  We bed share and I have been side lying nursing him and pretty much just fall asleep after.  I also notice that he will eat a lot when something else is bothering him.  It's like he knows that nursing feels good no matter what so he will do that and what was originally bothering him still bothers him and he gets fussy.  sometimes if I don't check his diaper he will ask to nurse when he just has a wet diaper and he will be fussy, wet and have milk pouring out of his mouth when he is done!  Maybe he does that overnight.  Like he will be gassy but just continue to eat and make it even worse.  He definatly gets fussy with a vengence when we are in bed though.  He squirms, kicks and claws and scratches me when he is upset.  I would much rather that then scream and cry though.

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#72 of 170 Old 11-25-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy May View Post

Silly question, but how do you add the little tag line on your posts? (i.e. Emma's that says "dissertating mom to three")

Go to the tab "My Profile" up at the top of the page (in purple). Scroll down towards the bottom underneath where all the threads you have posted to show up. You will find the spot for your signature there. thumb.gif

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#73 of 170 Old 11-25-2011, 11:05 PM

Tank ... I could've written the entire last paragraph of your post, word for word. I don't burp ds at night either, but I do sometimes 'sit' him up propped over my belly, if that makes sense. Sometimes this fetches a large manly burp or two and I don't have to get up for the occasion. But the problem persists.

Leiahs ... Yummy pies! I can happily imagine them all wonderfully gluten free too!

Day eight of no poop. When should I worry? About his bodily functions, I mean, not the inev
itable pooplosion.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#74 of 170 Old 11-26-2011, 01:12 AM
~pi

starling, I was told with DS1 not to worry unless it was 2 weeks. Not sure how true that is, but that's what the ped said. He went about every 10 days, so we never had to deal with what to do if he went longer.

Leiahs, amazing pies! Love the Tshirts, too.

I hope all the Americans had a lovely Thanksgiving!

My baby is asleep. I am not. This is not right. A self-employed family member is in very serious financial trouble and I am just sick with worry. I am not supposed to know about it, and the only reason I do is that this person asked someone else in the family for an enormous loan, and that person confidentially asked me for my thoughts. UGH. I hate these kinds of secrets. I keep waking up to think about it. We aren't in a position to help, but I really wish I could fix things. UGH UGH UGH.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#75 of 170 Old 11-26-2011, 05:55 AM

Pi, I'm sorry that you're dealing with knowing something so worrisome and secret.

Tank, yay for sleeping in the swing! My baby is temperamental about being put down usually as well. I have a really attractive bouncy chair that you unfortunately have to bounce yourself, so that kind of defeats the purpose! I didn't think of that when I bought it, I just thought, HEY! This chair is cute! Blah.

Starling, I don't think it's anything to worry about in a medical way. I feel your fear though!

I have more to say but should wait and post later on.

#76 of 170 Old 11-26-2011, 03:34 PM

Excitement of the day: Pooping in the tummy tub! And wowsers, it was no small poop! LOL!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#77 of 170 Old 11-26-2011, 04:45 PM

Day nine and the poop finally came!  And bonus, he did it in a sposie while all his dipes were in the wash!  Whoo hoo! I was actually on the phone with the infant hotlline because I realized it was day eleven so I was going to get their advice.  He has great timing!

#78 of 170 Old 11-26-2011, 04:57 PM

More later, but some random things I've been meaning to say/ask

Lifeguard- you posted in another thread that you once answered the door with a boob hanging out...I'm dying to know who was knocking and what they said!

Rosemary-  the spyglass picture of Iona in the baby pic thread = love, love, love, she is so sweet

Emma:   the picture of your three kids together - they are seriously good looking kids!  I look at them and can imagine them all grown up.  adorable!

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#79 of 170 Old 11-26-2011, 06:10 PM

nak

leiahs those pies look amazing! We had a nice Thanksgiving at my Mom's, actually better than usual. No fighting! She did everything except I made a pie & some appetizers. 

Moby wrap - they look WAY too intimidating to me.  I've never even tried one.  I am loving my

blowouts - we"ve been fortunate to not have anything too crazy happen with poo. She is usually pooing 1x/day, most of the time we get it in the toilet.

However, it seems like every time we go out somewhere that I'm meeting new people she manages to either pee or barf all over me. I always have a change of clothes for HER, but not me orngtongue.gif 

She actually peed on a stranger last week.  blush.gif

Pi sorry about the situation. It must be frustrating not to be able to say anything.

#80 of 170 Old 11-26-2011, 07:01 PM

katico - it was when ds was a newborn & we were living in costa rica. My spanish was not good enough to speak over the intercom & so i had to go outside to the gate to talk to people. It was either a delivery man or the water meter man - I don't truly remember anything except how stressed i was!

#81 of 170 Old 11-27-2011, 08:21 AM

I've decided that people just can't say anything nice.  We walked to a diner for breakfast this morning, baby in Moby.  We got seated, started chatting with the waitress.  A customer comes over and joins in, doing the usual thing of how cute she is, how quickly they grow up, etc.  The customer then asks how old she is.  I say seven weeks.  She asked if she was a preemie.  I told her no, she was full term.  She says she looks small, asks what she weighs.  I told her seven pounds as of last week.  She then asks me what is wrong with her.  I started to feel defensive and said that nothing was wrong with her.  Then I get "you must not feed her.  It is important for babies to eat, you know.  A lot of 'young' parents worry about their baby getting fat, and you really shouldn't worry about that.  Have you thought about a special formula?"  Really?  It is important for them to eat?  I had no idea.  Fortunately the waitress interjected that she nephew was little, breastfed, and a perfectly healthy five year old.  She also commented that if the baby was in fact hungry she wouldn't be sitting quietly in her carrier and looking around, she'd be crying.  

So you compliment my baby, then decide that in your expert opinion something is wrong with her, figure I must be NEGLECTING her, and start making recommendations as to what I should feed her.  Based off a couple minutes.  Grrrr...

My godmom finally came to meet the baby, her girls absolutely love her.  It was a great visit.  And she slept ten hours last night.  Eight hours the night before.  Awesomeness.  We really got lucky with this kid, I was expecting full nights for AT LEAST another month or two. 

Starling: YAY poop.  It is nerve wracking.  You know it can be a while, but how long is it until it is a problem for your baby?  And what if you counted wrong.  Smart guy, making efficient use of the disposable diaper.  :)

Not_Telling-I love that outfit.  

Leihas: Those are so fabulous looking pies!  

Pi: I hope things get figured out.  It is very hard to know something about someone close to you that you aren't supposed to know, especially when they are in trouble.  

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#82 of 170 Old 11-27-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tank View Post

I was worried about our first family holiday together mostl because my partner and I don't really celebrate holidays all that much and now that we have a child I feel like it is more important.  We ended up going over a friends house and it was just our family of 3 and theirs of 4 and it was really nice.  Pretty much like hanging out only there was a lot of food involved.  I love my family but I am glad they aren't super close and we are not obligated to do the huge family thing.  We are big into Halloween and are from the Halloween capital so we plan on going up there every Halloween and spending time with family then. It is actually perfect since although DS wasn't born on halloween his birthday is pretty close to it so he can see family for his birthday every year.

its a good idea to talk over your vision for how you might celebrate holidays as your little one grows and begins to have awareness of these festival markings of the passage of time... though the conversation will be ongoing and things will change,,, but you have a chance to have new traditions with your new family. Repeat some things perhaps from your family of origin, but to do things in different ways too. And then also, how to interface with your other family (b/c they will still send gifts, cards, come visit, etc).

dissertating mom to three

#83 of 170 Old 11-27-2011, 09:15 AM

Thanks emma, that is good advice.  Honestly I don't know how to handle holidays well and my partner definatly doesn't either but we want to do at least something.  My immediate family are athiests and that is how we were raised but we still celebrated Christmas/Easter and such in a relaxed manner.  My partner was raised by both is grandmother and was in foster homes and such so he never did the big family holidays either.  I think it is important to have traditions we just aren't sure what they will be yet.

Livacreature what that woman said to you is absolutely awful.  I can't believe the nerve of some people, seriously.  I would have slapped her.  I totally would have gone into defense mode as well and probably said something really mean to her.

My little man is sick and it is making me really sad.  I am not suprised because I have been sick since I left the hosptial but his doctor said he probably won't get it.  The poor kid is all snotty.  He hasn't had a fever and is still eating and acting alert so I haven't called his dr.  I don't really think I need to but in the back of my brain I feel like a bad mom for not calling kwim?  I know that there is nothing he can take and all I can do is keep him well hydrated and suck our his nose and make sure he doesn't get a fever. 

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#84 of 170 Old 11-27-2011, 10:09 AM

Tank, this year is our first year doing holidays "our way"--and we've been married 11 years (or in 1 month it will be 11 years.) We're still trying to figure out how we want it to be, but the doors are wide open.

Starling, that's amazing timing.

Livacreature, sorry you got slimed by that woman.

Time for the inlaws to go bye-bye. They've been here almost a week, and it's been ok, but my ds is going around every other minute asking, "who can play with me now?" and I dread tomorrow when it's just me, him and the baby. Also, MIL has staged her usual takeover of my kitchen, which wouldn't be so bad if she was not crazy, but she's crazy and was a home-ec major and is really overwhelmingly anal that I have steam coming out my ears every time she finds her way into that room!

#85 of 170 Old 11-27-2011, 01:00 PM

just have a quick min. to pop in.

We had our 6 wk appt. yesterday. I am really really sad as this is probably our last baby so our last mw appointment ever!!! I have been working with her for the most part of the last year and a half so it was just sad. She took her time with us and wasn't rushed and just chatted. It was nice. Saphira is 10lbs 4 oz so she has gained 2 lbs from her lowest weight and looks to be doing well.

We are concerned that she isn't responding to noises like I remember my others doing. She doesn't startle at all andyou can come from behind and clap behind her ears and she just sits there. My mw said that they usually do respond at this point so we should do a hearing screan. Hope to get that scheduled sometime in the new year. It could be that she can't hear or that there is just so much noise she has tuned it all out.

So I had mentioned here that my mw said my placenta was the biggest she had seen well it has been trumped. But it really isn't fare to compare since the baby was 11lbs 4oz!!!!!! so 2 1/2 lbs bigger than my 8lb 10oz baby no wonder the placenta was huge. She had her vaginally at home in 6 hrs and this was her first. Holy moly!!!

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#86 of 170 Old 11-27-2011, 06:13 PM

livacreature - wow, some people are just ridiculous! Oh & I am TOTALLY jealous of the long night stretches you're getting! How fabulous!

tank - it is just no fun when they get sick. Dd is snuffly right now & sometimes at night I just feel so bad for her. Oddly I am the only one around here who hasn't suffered much with this cold - despite the little sleep I'm getting I barely got a sniffle.

rosemary - sometimes when people "help" it just doesn't feel like it, eh? Glad the visit has been ok though.

theboysmama - I hope the hearing test is ok. I think when they are used to a lot of noise they just don't get as easily startled. It's hard not to worry though.

afm - baby girl is having a rough time in the evenings/nights. We had two ok nights & I thought maybe we had turned a corner but then last night we were up until 2:30 again & she was truly, truly miserable. 5.5 hours of screaming & crying intermixed with fitful periods of nursing & short crashes (she's fall asleep for 10 minutes from exhaustion & then wake up screaming again). Last night was definitely the worst screaming we've had in awhile. I just wish I knew what triggers it. Got some gripe water today just in case but I have little faith it will help. Looks like another rough night tonight as the fussing has already started & she had a giant long sleep this afternoon/early evening. Dh is home tomorrow.

#87 of 170 Old 11-27-2011, 06:49 PM

Lifeguard, we have the same problem in the evenings. The Sears baby book says that evening colic is quite common. My DD seems screams terribly and tenses up like she is in pain, but I have no idea why. She settles for a short while and then very suddenly starts up again. We certainly haven't totally fixed it, more just surviving at this point. Things that have helped is a tight swaddle, lots of walking while swinging her to and fro followed by the rocking chair until she is really out, static on the radio near her bassinet, and waiting a good 20-30 minutes after she appears to be asleep to set her down. I really have to focus on finding opportunities to feed her because once she gets worked up she won't eat, and then it's a vicious cycle of waking due to hunger and being too cranky to eat. I've found that when she is sleeping in the evening I wake her before she totally wakes herself to catch her drowsy and get some good long nursing time in before the screaming hour starts. I REALLY can't wait for this to resolve. The nights get soooo long.

#88 of 170 Old 11-27-2011, 06:59 PM

babydust - soooooo long.

#89 of 170 Old 11-27-2011, 09:36 PM

For those of you with babies who are really fussy in the evenings, have you thought about whether they might be overstimulated?  My 2nd DS, I've recently discovered, is *very* sensitive to audio and visual input.  He literally gets headaches from school, just from all the business around him (especially when there's an assembly or something "big" like that).  And our Thanksgiving weekend with 25 people gave him headaches, too- he had to go sit down in the basement when everyone started singing Christmas carols around the piano, to escape the noise (I know, lol, so Little Women of us all!). 

Anyway, a few months back I started reading more about sensitive children, and the book I was reading talked a good long bit about extra sensitive babies, and I remember it was saying how they tend to really cry an awful lot at the end of the day, because they've just gotten completely overloaded and the crying is the only way they know how to deal with it. After reading about it, I realized that DS really did have that tendency as a baby, though I had conveniently forgotten about it.  If you think it might be a problem with your babies, I'd see what I could do about reducing the stimulation they get throughout the day, and see if that helps.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#90 of 170 Old 11-28-2011, 05:36 AM

Interesting Leiahs - although short of getting rid of ds I'm not sure how I would do that - lol. He is most definitely the biggest source of stimulation in all of our lives right now!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page