Chat Thread: 11/20-11/26 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 170 Old 11-20-2011, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey, I started a thread! Have a great week, everyone--and for those of you in the USA, Happy Thanksgiving!

The retail holiday season has begun. My DH has been at work for 12.5 hours now and I don't think he's on his way home yet. Poor guy. DS is also super fussy today. Doesn't want the breast, doesn't want the pacifier, doesn't want a knuckle, doesn't want anything but to cry. Could make for a terrible evening. But my mom has DS and has gotten him to sleep for now, and I'm making a pizza for DH to try to brighten his mood. The Giants are on Sunday night football and if they can just pull off a win I think we can salvage the mood tonight!  We shall see.

Chat away, everyone!

Mom to Eli babyboy.gif 10/18/11 and loving wife to Derrin. heartbeat.gif 

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 170 Old 11-20-2011, 06:34 PM

thanks for starting a new thread!

I am sorry your ds is super fussy. Bummer. It really sucks when we can't do anything to calm them.

AFM: I am doing pretty well. Finally really bonding w/ dd2. (Took long enough!) She is a really easy baby (I have had the whole gammit) and the transition to 5 kiddos has been the easiest of all and way easier than I anticipated. Her delivery was really easy too. I was joking w/ dh today that if we have another one (Which is a HUGE IF) than it will probably just fall out and we will continue on with our day/night/lives and not even notice. LOL

We had a family house cleaning day yesterday and the house is cleaner than it has been in 2 years. Doubt it will last but I will take it:). We have our last mw visit on friday and I am really sad about it. This is most likely our last baby (although dh is talking about another ocassionally, I won't get my hopes up) and that last appt. is kind of sad. We have been working with her for the good part of a year and a half (and have worked with her before as well) so it will be hard. I am excited to see how much dd2 has gained though.

Placenta- My placenta is almost gone (my mw only cut up the mama side for me so I still have the baby side if I need it) and I am doing fairly well. It lasted a lot longer than in the past (my mw said this was the largest placenta she has ever seen).

EC- pottying is going so well. Way better than w/ dd1 at this point. I started about 10 days sooner (I wouldn't think that would make a difference though). dd2 is 5 wks today and I have only changed 3 poopy diapers in her lifetime and NONE in the last 4 wks!!!! If that is all I get I will take it. Her cues are way better than dd1 so that helps a lot.

Thanksgiving- My dad will be in town and I think we are going to cook here but have no idea how big of an event we will make it. I am actually enjoying cooking lately so it might be nice. Also, I love love love thanksgiving food and I have food allergies so if I want it I have to make it.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#3 of 170 Old 11-20-2011, 09:44 PM

I always lurk, but thought I'd join in this time.

Is anyone else enduring a major oversupply? This is my third child and each one has had to deal with my overabundance of milk which leaves them gulping and sputtering while trying to swallow a major amount as fast as they can. Ds pulls off the breast constantly. He also has to be burped a lot. I'm block nursing and only nursing on one side per 4-5 hours to try to get it under control. I'm hoping the 3 week growth spurt comes up soon so maybe he'll be able to use my supply! It's hard to nurse in public because he constantly latches on and off to control the flow. Ive been considering sage tea. I wouldnt use a whole lot because it can dry milk up, but maybe a cup before bedtime would help? redface.gif

Nicole, lucky you having a large placenta! Mine was smaller and my pills are almost gone. I'm so afraid of feeling awful once they are gone that I am considering purchasing encapsulated sheep placenta! eat.gif it grosses me out at the thought, but the dramatic positive effects of my placenta consuming have inspired me to want to continue feeling this amazing!

#4 of 170 Old 11-20-2011, 10:08 PM

Hi everyone!

Doing good over here.  Malcolm is growing like a weed, which makes me a little bit sad, but we're also seeing some fun strides into new abilities.  Just a couple days ago he started grabbing things that brush by his hands.  Unfortunately, this includes things like my hair (constantly), but it also means that the little play mat with hanging toys I bought for him this week is also getting "played" with:  One toy that has rings keeps getting caught in his grasp.  My olders think it's hilarious when that happens!  ;)  We have had quite a streak of good nights, too (knock on wood, knock on wood!!!!) - aside from the occasional difficulty getting him to calm down enough to *fall* asleep, he's been having nothing but good nights for about 2 weeks solid.  I got another 7 straight hours the other night, and we've had quite a handful of 5-6 hours stretches, as well.  He seems to be falling into his own pattern, waking up reliably at 7-7:30, and often around 5:00am as well.  I honestly never expected to have a baby sleep like this!  My other kids never did this until they were at least a year old, so I'm in heaven.  Of course, some *daytimes* are awfully tricky.  JunieMoon, yes, I have the exact same experience with gagging/chocking and having trouble with burps because of swallowed air.  (I can't explain why that's not a problem at night, but whatever - not looking a gift horse in the mouth!)  I don't think for me it's so much over*supply* as it is overactive letdown.  Sometimes when he's really having trouble, he pops off and then I'm spraying milk everywhere.  One time I just let it go, out of curiosity, and the flow didn't decrease for a good 30+ seconds.  I can see why he'd be having trouble when he's sucking on it actively!  He also has a clicking in his latch on just my right side (I think that one is a bit more productive than the other one), and my MW said that's probably his way of dealing with the excessive flow.  Unfortunately, every time I hear that click I can imagine a bunch of air going down with the milk.  Ugh.  He's so hard to burp.  Try as I might, I can never seem to get them all out.  It can be 2 hours after a feed, with plenty of upright time, and we'll go for a drive, and when I pick him up to take him out of the car, he suddenly burps like it was right there the whole time.  How on earth?!?   I'm looking forward to about 4 months of age - I read that it's about that time when milk production switches from hormone-driven to supply-and-demand-driven... which I hope means less crazy let-downs.  I remember it eventually getting better with my other kids, at least.  And also, I've always been a fan of block nursing.  :)

Looking forward to Thanksgiving!  We have a crazy tradition of a pie per person, and this year we're having about 20 people over.  :)  (At my MIL's house, not mine, thank goodness!)  I'm planning on contributing a banana cream pie, an eggnog pumpkin pie, a strawberry-cherry topped cheesecake, and a Nutella cream pie with hazlenut crust.  Looking forward to good fun with family - especially my BIL bringing his 5 kid to play with my kids - hooray for built-in entertainment!!  I'd be afraid of the coming week (M-F no school!) without all the excitement to help out with my sanity.  ;)  Sadly, DH has to work Wed-Sat, Thanksgiving included, his full 12-hour shifts.  We're both extremely miffed about that (no good reason, just engineering production as normal), but we're grateful to at least have a job.  Even if it's about the worst job he could have while keeping us afloat.  Here's to hoping that a renewed job search will yield a better situation.  And thank goodness Christmas doesn't fall on his shift....

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#5 of 170 Old 11-21-2011, 04:29 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunieMoon View Post

Is anyone else enduring a major oversupply? This is my third child and each one has had to deal with my overabundance of milk which leaves them gulping and sputtering while trying to swallow a major amount as fast as they can.

I had this, but I think it is finally under control with the block nursing. She's starting to take both--maybe not fully both, but both at a sitting, then start on the unfinished, etc. I have seriously strong letdowns and they hurt. With my son, they just were a dull throb then milk, but this is very noticeable pain. Then I spray her face and then we're good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinket90 View Post
 DS is also super fussy today. Doesn't want the breast, doesn't want the pacifier, doesn't want a knuckle, doesn't want anything but to cry. Could make for a terrible evening.

Could be he just doesn't want to suck for any number of reasons, or doesn't want to suck until he's been calmed in another way? Have you tried "layering" your calming techniques? For mine, I start with swaddle (which she hates as it is happening but always gets her calmed down), then rocking or bouncing, shushing and sucking maybe. This one isn't much of a comfort sucker at all! I don't know, sorry your lo is fussy. Mine is too!

Thanksgiving: I've never put on a thanksgiving by myself before, which is so odd because I am a chef. It doesn't actually seem very daunting since I'm used to preparing a gazillion things at once, but add a newborn and you've got another story. We're having our inlaws here from CA and I'm going to enlist everyone to make it with me. Pies go to MIL, best pie maker on earth.

Fussiness: Crossing fingers for various reasons, but it seems like since I've cut out dairy and chocolate, DD is much happier. Her poops have slowed way down and seem more normal. She was pooping at least every feeding, and it was pretty runny, though who knows, that could just be her thing. But she's not writhing in pain half the day, and her wheezing and congestion are 1000 times better, so we'll see. BUT I hate not eating dairy and chocolate--especially at this time of the year! Ahh! I don't seem to be struggling with losing the weight this time, either, so who would care if I munched some cheese and candy???? Poo.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#6 of 170 Old 11-21-2011, 05:42 AM

I've been reading along and wanting to say so much, but Landon has been quite demanding, and not giving me any free time.

Being a mama is hard work!! Seriously. I am so drained by the end of the day. He has been really hungry the last 2 days, and I've had to give him more formula than I normally do. He nurses for so long and basically drains me, then latches on and just screams because I think I have no more milk for him greensad.gif  makes me sad. Doesn't help that DP thinks formula is great and doesn't get why it upsets me when I have to give Landon a bottle.

DP left this morning for work, leaving Landon and I on our own until tomorrow night. DP has/wants to go to his place and check on his mom and brother. (which is a sore subject with us, he is the biggest mama's boy ever, and it drives me crazy) We've been having a hard time "connecting", feel like we are roommates or something.

Does anyone else live in an apartment bulidling? And worry to death about your baby crying and it bothering your neighbors? It is such a big stress of mine. I have people above me and next to me on all sides, and I am always worrying about them being mad that Landon cries so much some of the time.

Thanksgiving- DP ordered us Thanksgiving dinner from a local place. There is no-way I could make it, and it's just the two of us, and he doesn't cook. Hope it tastes good, I'm sad I can't be with my family in Seattle. I don't think I will make it there for Christmas either greensad.gif

I don't mean to do such a downer. This was a depressing post.......

Chelsea, loving mama to Landon, born 11/3

#7 of 170 Old 11-21-2011, 05:55 AM

chelsea- having your first baby is a real adjustment and adding your relationship situation to the mix is frustrating, I am sure. Hang in there you will settle into a swing of things although it doesn't feel like it now.

As far as feeding him formula, fussiness after (or during a feed) doesn't always mean the baby is hungry. My dd fusses sometimes at the end of a feed really upset, etc, I take her potty and she poops then will latch back on. I have lots of milk so I know it isn't a hunger issue but for you I would suggest feeding him as much as he will take, taking him potty or giving him  a chance to poop, get a clean diaper and latch back on then switch sides, etc. all of the suckling will help bring in more milk. I would also recommend seeing an LC to see if supply is an issue as it doesn't sound blatantly so when you describe it. Feeding formula is fine when it is really needed but if it isn't really needed it can really screew up the supply so it would be good to verify if it is a necessity. I know this will be hard if youir dp doesn't support breastfeeding.

This is NOT meant to make you feel guilty in anyway I just want to make sure you try everything as it seems you are really commited to nursing.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#8 of 170 Old 11-21-2011, 06:30 AM

yeahthat.gif  i agree with the above.

#9 of 170 Old 11-21-2011, 06:53 AM

nak

nursing - i think i have a fast n' furious initial let-down, and DD is pretty good about keeping up most of the time.  she clicks a lot...all throughout most feedings, though...but  that could be tongue tie related...hard to know at this point without a confirmed diagnosis.

colds - DS seems mostly over his...DH is getting there but was miserable over the weekend (yet, still cooked dinner, raked leaves, got DS ready for naps/bed, got up with DS in the morning, changed diapers, picked up pizzas for me and my friends, etc....so not a "Man Cold" guy, thank goodness).

thanksgiving - going to my parents' house like we do every year...i think we're 18 or 19 people this year.  4 vegetarians in the mix (my sis, BIL, and BIL's friends, also Indian, who are coming up from DC with their 2 year old).  i'm only responsible for a dessert this year.  doing an apple cake i've been wanting to try from dorie greenspan's "around my french table."  Leiahs - LOVE the pie per person thing....wow!  for a long time, like since i was a kid, i contributed to thanksgiving every year by making "sweet potato baskets" (from a kid's cookbook i had).  hollowed out orange halves filled with mashed sweet potatoes (flavored with some fresh oj, spices, brown sugar), topped with gooey warm mini marshmallows..but i just can't take that on this year.

DD is doing well.  Starting to get the occasional smile or half smile.  And getting some nice 4-5.5 hr stretches of sleep overnight.  And the girl's got a strong ass neck, too.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#10 of 170 Old 11-21-2011, 08:09 AM

smiling--it kills me how long it taes before they smile at me! No confirmed smiles yet. the ones i think are going to be turn into cries.

#11 of 170 Old 11-21-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:

The retail holiday season has begun. My DH has been at work for 12.5 hours now and I don't think he's on his way home yet. Poor guy.

Since my DH works in the visual marketing/display at his company, this means that any day now he will be OFF the crazy long days. He worked 12 hours M-F every day last week, and about 10 hours yesterday (Sunday). He does actually get off thanksgiving and the friday after. Apparently holiday shopping season= stores so crowded they can't do much other than maintanence (crazy shoppers who break stuff...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunieMoon View Post

I always lurk, but thought I'd join in this time.
Is anyone else enduring a major oversupply? This is my third child and each one has had to deal with my overabundance of milk which leaves them gulping and sputtering while trying to swallow a major amount as fast as they can. Ds pulls off the breast constantly. He also has to be burped a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post.  JunieMoon, yes, I have the exact same experience with gagging/chocking and having trouble with burps because of swallowed air.  (I can't explain why that's not a problem at night, but whatever - not looking a gift horse in the mouth!)  I don't think for me it's so much over*supply* as it is overactive letdown.  Sometimes when he's really having trouble, he pops off and then I'm spraying milk everywhere.  One time I just let it go, out of curiosity, and the flow didn't decrease for a good 30+ seconds.  I can see why he'd be having trouble when he's sucking on it actively!

agree that sounds like overactive letdown. I had this with my first but it got better on its own eventually (nobody told me about "block nursing" but I figured that out on my own). My good IRL friend had to carry extra prefolds around with her and she would basically try to hand express some into that to begin with, or let baby get the letdown going and then use the prefold to soak up a bunch of excess, then continue nursing. She said it seemed to help. And if she was at home, she'd pump some before a nursing session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

BUT I hate not eating dairy and chocolate--especially at this time of the year! Ahh! I don't seem to be struggling with losing the weight this time, either, so who would care if I munched some cheese and candy???? Poo.

what a nightmare. I would have no trouble losing weight without dairy or chocolate... b/c I think I might starve to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeclipse View PostWe've been having a hard time "connecting", feel like we are roommates or something.

I think this is fairly common when you have a new baby. And with extra kids too, I really feel like DH and I are basically handing off responsibilities... never doing anything together. Ugh. And we lived together for almost 4 years before we had our first child together... I have actually been fantasizing about going out to dinner with DH and the baby, and leaving the two older with family. At this point that might even feel like a "date"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

smiling--it kills me how long it taes before they smile at me! No confirmed smiles yet. the ones i think are going to be turn into cries.

YES! I had one yesterday. I think it was at me, though could have also been at the wall behind me. My first used to go NUTS smiling at the venetian blinds.

AFM, what to say. Baby is 3 weeks and 3 days. I am still sick with a cold, and wondering when I will even get anything other than feeding people and doing laundry again... maybe in 3 years? Its freaking me out a little b/c I have to get back to writing. Was thinking I'd do that this week but didn't count on holiday madness. So, next week. AH.

dissertating mom to three

#12 of 170 Old 11-21-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post

EC- pottying is going so well. Way better than w/ dd1 at this point. I started about 10 days sooner (I wouldn't think that would make a difference though). dd2 is 5 wks today and I have only changed 3 poopy diapers in her lifetime and NONE in the last 4 wks!!!! If that is all I get I will take it. Her cues are way better than dd1 so that helps a lot.

same here! its  amazing. I really didn't think such a young baby could do this but I think she waits to poop on the potty?!?

#13 of 170 Old 11-21-2011, 11:08 AM
~pi

wave.gif

overactive letdown: I have it this time, but, oddly, did not have it with my first. It does make nursing in public challenging. Poor kid, trying to drink from a fire hose. I find that pressing on some of the ducts (to sort of clamp them gently) helps.

Chelsea, what Nicole said.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you in the US!

Rosemary, I am so with you. We've had what I thought were tentative social smiles, but they have been so few and far between that I'm not entirely sure that's what they were. I am really starting to look forward to a little more interaction.

Emma, I have managed to make some edits on a colleague's paper. Aaaaand ... that's about it. I definitely would not have even managed that if my DH were working 12 hour shifts.

AFM, I was told by a doctor at my clinic today that I do have that abdominal separation thing [ETA: diastasis recti], which is probably why my upper abs hurt so much at the end of pregnancy, thanks to my enormous and unbelievably tall kid. I am really upset. Had I known, there were things I could have been doing/avoiding for months now. I'm sure I will bounce back -- physically and emotionally -- eventually, and this really isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, but right now I am having a hard time with it.

It's just atrocious timing. It's getting dark and cold, so it's harder to go for walks, the hormonal shifts right now are hard for me, and so many of the workouts I like to do in the evenings have core sections that are now not recommended for me. I've been referred to physical therapy, but it's going to be at least a couple of weeks until my appointment, and I just don't feel like I can wait that long. I know I can look some of this up myself, and there are helpful books/websites out there, but I am just so tired. I just want to follow a damn DVD and not have to think about adapting it. Exercise is such a key part of my mental health plan for this postpartum period, so having that plan threatened is scary.

Speaking of interrupted sleep, we tried to do a tag team exercise over the weekend and it completely did not work. DH was on night duty on Saturday night, but he just could not get DS2 to take the bottle of pumped milk without screaming. I was in the guest room, but I could still hear the crying, so the plan for me to have a peaceful night's rest went out the window pretty quickly. I ended up nursing him twice during the night, and still woke up with rock hard engorged boobs. I think if we try it again, we might just have DH bring me the baby. Either that or work harder on having him take a bottle at night.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#14 of 170 Old 11-21-2011, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

chelsea - being a mama IS hard work!!!  It's a tough adjustment.

oversupply - I have found block feeding really helps. Dd still ends up sputtering & gagging sometimes but not as much as she gets bigger. I have also found lying down or even just reclining some while feeding seems to slow down the flow. When it's really going I sometimes just pull her off, give her a chance to recover & then start again. I joke that she doesn't need to suck, she just needs to be in the general vicinity of my nipple & she'll get more than enough.

pi - so sorry to here about your abdominals - it is repairable though, with time. I'm sure it is frustrating though, I know anything that threatened my workouts right now would throw me for a loop.

afm - I have been reading the threads but just haven't been replying 'cause i don't like typing one-handed. Dd is growing like crazy. This morning was her 6 week appointment & she weighed 12lbs 12oz - that's almost 4 lbs since she was born! Little chunker! The doctor & I discussed again her lip tie & she looked at it again. She said (I think she's been thinking a lot about this since the last appt) that she could give me the referral to the children's hospital but she is still very doubtful they will be willing to do anything as she is gaining so well but when I told her about Dr. Jack Newman's clinic in Toronto she thought that was a terrific idea, so as soon as we have some extra money we are going to try to figure out how to make that happen.

Dh is on paternity leave now!!!! Yeah, yeah, yeah!

Not much sleep happening around here for me. Dd is up until 2 many, many nights & often has a big wakeful period from 6:30-8:30am so not much chance for me to sleep with ds around.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#15 of 170 Old 11-21-2011, 01:53 PM

Wooo!  I took her to the ped today for a blocked tear duct that wasn't resolving, and she is SEVEN pounds.  Finally!  On her six week birthday.  This made me feel much better about how things are going.  I have had FIVE nights of getting at least a six hour stretch.  I feel insanely lucky, though day time is one exhausting cluster feed.  I like it much better than up every hour!

Pi: That sounds really uncomfortable.

Leihas: That one pie per person thing sounds awesome.  As does the hazelnut crust!

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#16 of 170 Old 11-21-2011, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

afm - I have been reading the threads but just haven't been replying 'cause i don't like typing one-handed. Dd is growing like crazy. This morning was her 6 week appointment & she weighed 12lbs 12oz - that's almost 4 lbs since she was born! Little chunker! The doctor & I discussed again her lip tie & she looked at it again. She said (I think she's been thinking a lot about this since the last appt) that she could give me the referral to the children's hospital but she is still very doubtful they will be willing to do anything as she is gaining so well but when I told her about Dr. Jack Newman's clinic in Toronto she thought that was a terrific idea, so as soon as we have some extra money we are going to try to figure out how to make that happen.

DS just had his one month appointment and came in at 11 lbs 3 oz--that's 2 lbs 11 oz since birth! These babies love mama's milk, don't they?! It's amazing to me. He's so big already (and still soooooo tiny).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeclipse
Being a mama is hard work!! Seriously. I am so drained by the end of the day. He has been really hungry the last 2 days, and I've had to give him more formula than I normally do. He nurses for so long and basically drains me, then latches on and just screams because I think I have no more milk for him greensad.gif  makes me sad. Doesn't help that DP thinks formula is great and doesn't get why it upsets me when I have to give Landon a bottle.

DP left this morning for work, leaving Landon and I on our own until tomorrow night. DP has/wants to go to his place and check on his mom and brother. (which is a sore subject with us, he is the biggest mama's boy ever, and it drives me crazy) We've been having a hard time "connecting", feel like we are roommates or something.

I feel you on both of these things. I'm actually more drained when I get up in the morning, it gets a little better midday when I get a second wind, and I'm exhausted again by bedtime... when I don't get much rest. It's terrible because Eli really isn't very demanding, he's a VERY content baby most of the time, and I have tons of help (seriously, I feel like a wimp compared to you!!). He doesn't sleep well at night yet, though, and DH can't really help yet--parenthood is so new to him, and it seems like he's lost if I'm not in the room.

As for the "roommates" feeling... yeah. DS sleeps in between us so we can't even snuggle at night. He feels like the baby is (to use a more polite term than he does) "blocking" him from getting any sex. I really want to DTD, but I know it's going to hurt and I'm going to need to help him figure out where not to touch or how gentle to be, so I want to have a good solid block of time to work on it--something that won't happen with a baby waking up who knows how often. I take care of him other ways, but not as often as he'd like and it's so rushed knowing DS could wake up. It's hard feeling like we never have time to talk, let alone touch. I think that's been the hardest part of having a baby--that loss of connection with DH. Hopefully after a few weeks (6 weeks is the magic number, right?) we'll start to get it back.

Oversupply/Overactive letdown - I can't feel my letdown at all, but lately DS has decided to pull off right as it happens and it goes spraying all over the place. What a mess! He doesn't sputter or gag, but once he latches on again he lets some of each suck spill out the sides of his mouth--his way of coping with the volume? I think mine is more overactive letdown than oversupply. I'm pumping here and there but I'm trying to be careful because I don't want to stimulate supply too much. I just want a freezer stash and to let DH give bottles sometimes.

AFM - I got a 2 hour nap today! DS fell asleep nursing on the bed and I fell asleep with him. It was heaven. He slept for another 20 minutes after I woke up so I got a few minutes to be independent. On a less bright note, DS has a rash that showed up sometime this morning. It's all over his head, neck, and chest, and a little on his legs--speckly red, and just barely raised. He doesn't have a fever, no swelling or respiratory issues. We're taking him to the pediatrician tonight to get it checked out. The nurse on the phone seems to think he has a case of baby acne and a paranoid mom--I don't blame her; if I had less experience with babies that would make sense. I'm not too worried but since we're traveling tomorrow (and he only has state insurance) I want to make sure it's not a problem. It's probably an allergic reaction to something I ate, or an outfit irritated his skin, or something.

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

#17 of 170 Old 11-21-2011, 02:46 PM

My let down is pretty intense too. Maeve seems to be doing a bit better with it these days but still pulls off, cries, and gulps air quite a bit. She burps a lot and spits up too. Poor baby. Hoping things settle down soon.

I brought Maeve with me for my 6 week appt. She weighs 9.14, up 3 pounds from her birth weight! Happy to see her gaining well. She has an appt coming up for her well baby visit. We need to decide what we are going to do about vaccines.

We are having friends here for Thanksgiving. I'm trying to prep what I can over the next couple of days. The house is a mess though so I'm not sure when that will get tackled. I made gluten free bread today so that DD1 can eat stuffing too. We tried to make cinnamon rolls with some extra dough this morning- pretty hilarious results! We'll have to try again on that. Gluten free dough is just so sticky it can be hard to work with.

We are going to make a pumpkin cake too. Looks sooo easy. 2 ingredients. Cake mix (we are using Pamelas gluten free) and a can of pumpkin pie filling. So even though we are making lots of things for the holiday we are trying to make it as simple as possible. DH will cook a lot of it and our friend is doing the turkey- smoking it! Yum!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#18 of 170 Old 11-21-2011, 03:11 PM

Corbin was born with a full head of longish red hair, and it's now falling out and being replaced by dark hair, patches at a time. He kind of has a mullet... Party in the back, business in the front. His eyelashes have now darkened, and one eyebrow is starting to turn. Is this normal?

Can't believe I have a ten week old as of tomorrow....

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

#19 of 170 Old 11-21-2011, 04:52 PM

Karli my DS totally had the weird red mullet patchy balding hair around that age. He's got gorgeous thick wavy hair now, 7 years later :) Vera is totally starting to lose her hair, but by now we are disappointed but not surprised.

~pi stinks about the diastasis recti. I worry about that though I can't feel it on myself. Partly b/c it was my third pregnancy and I think the likelihood goes up with multiple pregnancies.

lifeguard with your DH on leave you have to find a way to get more rest!

trinket that connection (emotional, physical) with my partner has been a hard thing with parenting. It comes and goes, but I try to remember to find ways to connect too. Even little ways. Partners also sometimes have to readjust their expectations. At least now with #3 DH knows it will be hard for a few months and will get better.

#20 of 170 Old 11-21-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:

AFM - I got a 2 hour nap today! DS fell asleep nursing on the bed and I fell asleep with him. It was heaven. He slept for another 20 minutes after I woke up so I got a few minutes to be independent. On a less bright note, DS has a rash that showed up sometime this morning. It's all over his head, neck, and chest, and a little on his legs--speckly red, and just barely raised. He doesn't have a fever, no swelling or respiratory issues. We're taking him to the pediatrician tonight to get it checked out. The nurse on the phone seems to think he has a case of baby acne and a paranoid mom--I don't blame her; if I had less experience with babies that would make sense. I'm not too worried but since we're traveling tomorrow (and he only has state insurance) I want to make sure it's not a problem. It's probably an allergic reaction to something I ate, or an outfit irritated his skin, or something.

DD's got something similar going on.  I noticed it on her upper chest/shoulders first and then saw something kinda similar on her head kinda from the temple into the hairline.  Not bright red...more light red/oink, lots of little spots, maybe a bit raised?  I was wondering if it could possibly be heat rash at first, cuz her sleepy gown is pretty warm and tends to kinda get bunched up around her neck area.  Baby acne also was a possibility I thought about, but I didn't know they could get it on non-face places.  I'd love to know what your ped says it is.   DD's seems less noticable now then over the weekend.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#21 of 170 Old 11-21-2011, 05:39 PM

Always reading but, like lifeguard, I hate one handed typing!

Leiahs:  the pie-a-person tradition is basically the best thing I`ve ever heard.  Ever.  So awesome!  Pie...

Rosemary: No dairy or chocolate...I am so sad for you.  So, so sad.  

Chelsea:  DH and I were together for 9 years, living together for 4 and married for 2 when we had DD and we still felt like roommates...and he was that annoying roommate who leaves dirty dishes everywhere and never does his share of the housework.  It`s totally hard, I know.  It does get easier....and then sometimes it gets harder again.  But, for us at least, there is always this joy that we share, having these little people to call ours, and that sees us through it.  

pi:  Crappy :(  I hope you get it all sorted out and can get your active groove on again.  I`m worried about the long, dark, cold winter too.  I hope I can force myself to make sure we get out enough.

lifeguard:  4lb in 6 weeks!!!  Go baby, go!    

livacreature:  7lb!  whoot!  I can totally relate to having a slow-gaining baby.  DD1 was 7lb3oz but dropped to about 6lb when we were struggling to breastfeed....and it took her a long time to gain  after that, I remember being so excited she had regained her birth weight and then when she hit 8lb, I was thrilled!

trinket:  If you`re afraid to dtd because you know it will hurt, maybe you should wait a little longer?  I say this gently, and with full understanding of how frustrating it is to wait and to keep your Dh waiting...but with DD1, we dtd before I was sure I was ready and it ended up taking longer to get back into the swing of things in the long run because it really irritated my soreness and bleeding.

The really difficult thing is that my DH gets so wanty that when I try to just give him some physical attention (backrub, hugs, etc), it totally gets his hopes up every time.  We're almost 3wks pp and have been dtd since 2wks with no problems but...dude....I'm tired, y'know?  Just let me rub your back and accept the gift of the energy it takes me to do that.   case of baby acne and a paranoid mom--I don't blame her; if I had less experience with babies that would make sense. I'm not too worried but since we're traveling tomorrow (and he only has state insurance) I want to make sure it's not a problem. It's probably an allergic reaction to something I ate, or an outfit irritated his skin, or something.

AKIslandgirl:  Have you tried this recipe?  http://glutenfreegirl.com/gluten-free-cinnamon-rolls/

Baby mullets:  Oh yeah.  DD1 had super patchy bald head for a long time.  Claire has more hair than she did but I think we're headed to Mullet-ville...and soon. 

AFM:  Claire is almost 3 wks old.  Took her for a checkup today and she is up to 11lb 5oz.  It's funny to me that so many of your little babies have almost caught up to or passed her, since she was so big at birth!  DD1 didn't weigh 11lb until she was 3 +  months old!

I feel like the time is just flying by.  We've been busy and life is happy- so happy! So far, it's been pretty easy, I think mostly because I just FEEL so much better.  And I feel like myself again.  I feel like I can be the kind of mother I want to be, again!  

Thinking of birth announcements, needing to capture a really great photo so I can get those done.  I'm trying hard not to shaft the second child lol.gif  I did her little hand and foot prints the other day, for her baby book.  DD1, of course, insisted that I do hers as well, and seeing the difference between those and HER newborn prints....oh gosh, it just goes too fast.  

I think I need about 5 more children... it's just the very best thing in the world luxlove.gif

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#22 of 170 Old 11-21-2011, 06:04 PM

karli - my ds1 was born with a full head of hair - then it fell out to become the "tuck" as in friar tuck - he looked like a miniature senior citizen for months...lol

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#23 of 170 Old 11-21-2011, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I'm not a fan of the one-handed typing either (doing it now, in fact) ... reading along and thinking of you all!

cradle cap:  any sure-fire solutions?  With dd, it was a matter of time.  I'd clear it (oil, etc) and it'd come back. She still gets it at nearly three-years-old, but I'd love to nip it in the bud this time, if possible.

hair: dd had a beautiful head of hair from birth and it never fell out ... with ds we are solidly heading to friar tuck land.  Sad.  Plus the cradle cap.  He's looking a little rough these days.

dtd:  Lube!  Makes the world a much better place. winky.gif  While I'd say sure, take your time ... I would also caution folks not to wait too long (defined by those involved).  I know too many people who end up having such a loooooooooong post partum dry spell that it has had a really negative effect on their relationships.  A little nookie goes a long way to easing some of the challenges of having a new baby in the house.  The fact, is (sorry first time mamas who are nursing) that you may not 'feel' like doing it for a significant amount of time (think months, years even for some) and you may not want to wait until that perfect horny moment that matches your partner's perfect horny moment because it might not happen for an eternity.  Often, once you get going, so does the desire. 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#24 of 170 Old 11-21-2011, 06:40 PM

Cradle cap - With DS we got rid of it in less than a week and it never came back.  We did the pre-bath oiling of the head thing, let it sit, brush brush brush with baby hairbrush thing.  I think we used Weleda's calendula baby oil.

DTD - Well, all I know is that DH and I went a long ass time after DS was born...it was just insane.  Neither one of us has ever been the need-it-every-day kinda person, and we've certainly gone through spells of just once a month (or less) even pre-children.  But, boy was it FUN when DS finally moved into his own room at the age of 2 yrs and we got our private time space back.  I don't think it will be like that this time...mostly cuz I really don't see how we could fit the crib in our bedroom (we're in a different room than when DS was a baby), so once DD outgrows the co-sleeper (that she's not currently using at all), I guess we have to move her to her own room...or at least have her start the night in there.

#25 of 170 Old 11-21-2011, 06:51 PM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katico View Post

I think I need about 5 more children... it's just the very best thing in the world luxlove.gif

Thank you. This was a great pick-me-up to read. love.gif

Thanks, all, for the support one the abs issue. It isn't painful, and hopefully it won't hold me back very much, but I'm somehow feeling really down about it.

hair: DS1 got the full Friar Tuck look (great description, I love it!) but DS2 seems to be going more for Winston Churchill. Bald at the front, thinning on top, full around the back.

baby weight gain: Woo-hoo, go, babies!

rash/acne: Both my babes had this. I squirt some breastmilk on it after feeding. I have no idea if it does anything for real, but it makes me feel better, and the rash/acne does seem to fade very quickly.

lifeguard, yay, yay, yay, pat leave!

starling, excellent points.

I cannot believe how little time we have left until the holidays. American Thanksgiving came up so fast! Safe travels to all of you who are traveling.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#26 of 170 Old 11-21-2011, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

katico - what a happy update!!! We do foot & handprints every year on birthdays - so fun to see the growth!

starling - well said.

dtd - we did it for the first time this aft!!! Not quite enough lube & had to play with positions to keep the pressure of my perineum but it was ok. I really want to make an effort to get into the swing of things - this has been a tough area for us. I don't have a high libido, worse when I was depressed, then 6 years of ttc for ds (which destroys sex), then being pregnant (dh just struggles with the idea of the head right there), then a 3rd degree tear, ttc again & dd. Sooooo, it's been a long time that we've felt relaxed about the whole thing. We won't be ttc for at least a year so I want to make good use of that time to reset that part of our relationship.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#27 of 170 Old 11-21-2011, 09:15 PM

Also not a fan of one-handed typing, but I've been reading. Thankfully it's snugli time. My mother bought us what has to be a 20-year-old snugli at a garage sale and my husband has adopted it as *his* carrier.

nursing - I've also had some oversupply & overactive letdown. It's getting better now, but nods to sputtering, spraying, painful letdown, burping, and spitting up (both of which set off hiccups). Reclining doesn't seem to do much at all for us, although it is better at night when we side-lie. Pumping a little bit, block feeding, and time have all helped.

EC - We started experimenting at 3 weeks, holding her over the sink during a diaper change and were amazed at how often this resulted in a poop or pee. Now I'm going a lot more off her cues and we're down to about one poopy diaper per load (every other day). Also, I'm now holding her over the toilet. flushing > cleaning the sink > cleaning baby & diaper - I'm sold.

hair - One word: kewpie.

smiles - I could swear she smiled this morning, but then she hasn't done it since and now I wonder if I imagined it.
#28 of 170 Old 11-22-2011, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

I've taken to using the on screen keyboard and my mouse for typing when I'm NAK. Still slow but fewer typos and it autocompletes words. :)

RASH - The pediatrician thinks it's a viral rash. She said there are a lot of viruses in young babies that manifest only as a rash. She said as long as it blanches (turns white when pressed and pinks up again) and he doesn't have any other symptoms (fever, vomiting, lack of wetting/pooping, respiratory issues) it shouldn't be a problem. She OKed the travel as long as it wasn't by plane. He's not nearly as fussy today and he slept well last night, so I think he's feeling a little better.

On our way to the pediatrician's yesterday, literally 500 feet from their office, the power steering quit in the van. I wrestled it up the street and into a parking space (my arms are a little sore now) and called my parents while sitting in the waiting room. My dad came out--turns out the serpentine belt had just fallen off! That runs the power steering, the alternator, the A/C, and just about everything else in the car. I was terrified I was going to have to tell DH we couldn't go see his family for Thanksgiving--he would be so disappointed. BUT, my father is a hero. After grumbling that whoever designed the serpentine belt "should be dragged out and shot" he went and got a new one and put it in. Fixed! We leave for NY this afternoon.

Katico - What a lovely update. As hard as this all is, there really are so many of those moments where you have to go, "Wow, how lucky am I to be doing this?"

DTD - Lifeguard, woohoo!! It's the perineum pressure I'm most concerned about. I think I'll try to make it happen within a week, and if it hurts, we stop.

thinks is crazy!

#29 of 170 Old 11-22-2011, 06:39 AM

baby mullets- none yet but I think it is becausee we don't set her down much

My kids have had a variety of balding. There dark hair always falls out and comes back in blond.

smiles- Nothing here I mean nada!!! She just stairs blankly (5 wks 2 days today)

baby weight gain- Our appt. is on fri. I can't wait to see how she is doing.

dtd- I agree fully with starling. I have been nursing 9.5 yrs and have NO sex drive until my cycles return then I get pg and my sex drive immediately goes away:(. It has been something we have really struggled with in our relationship. We have finally come up with a compromise that is about 1x a week (not right now yet) because i NEVER have the desire and he ALWAYS has the desire and it turned into me constantly telling him no. After ds1 we dtd too soon and had ramifications for about a year!!! We have been more conservative since then and wait till at least six weeks but honestly I really enjoy it. 6 whole weeks where I don't get badgered (at least not much) kind of my once every 2 yr break:).

typing one handed- I don't do it. i have been nak for 9.5 years so I have figured out how to type with both hands while the baby (or both of them nurse). Saves a lot of time. I do most of my nursing at the computer so that I can check my stuff while I am already occupied. I am a bit of a multi tasker:)

Katico- I know what you mean about wanting a dozen more kids. They are so wonderful makes me feel so succesful and accomplished to see these little beings turn into productive individuals:). I don't think I will ever feel DONE which is hard bcs I really need to be done at this point. There might possibly be one more on the horrizon but that is dh's call at this point and I am not holding my breath.

#30 of 170 Old 11-22-2011, 07:58 AM

Envision, woman in monkey pajama pants, mismatched slippers, baby in moby, nursing, opens the door to grab the mail out of the doorside box.  Two cats weighing at least 14 pounds a piece go running out the front door, opposite directions, one towards a heavily trafficked road, the other towards a very high fence and other obstacles.  She goes right, trying to support the baby's head.  moby's aren't for running after all.  Pounces on the one heading towards traffic, puts him under her arm pit.  Doubles back, uses cat to support baby in moby, tackles the other cat before he darts under an opening.  Juggles two hissing, scratching beasts back to the house, only to find front door is locked.  Woman walks around house, enters the back.  Sits down and sobs, while baby somehow finished nursing and fell into a restful slumber.

Jerks.

Balding: Aurora hasn't lost hair, but her back hair is growing much faster than her very sparse top.  She looks very much like a middle aged man (Though my husband swears she looks exactly like comedian Patton Oswalt...going as far as referring to her a Patton Jr at rather inopportune times.)

Smiles: I got one yesterday when she woke up from her nap (She sleeps on my thighs while I'm lounging/getting work done on the computer).  She was looking around and I started talking to her.  She stretched her arms out and just grinned.  

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page