Rolling over and bassinet safety - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-23-2011, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, my girl is an early roller.  She can't go from back to tummy yet, but can easily do tummy to back.  I read somewhere not to use a bassinet once they are rolling over.  Our other option is her pack and play in our room, but I'm not ready to have her out of the side car (she's only six weeks).  It has cloth sides, so I guess the concern might be suffocation?    Even though she isn't rolling back to tummy (and hopefully will slow down and not for a while!), she is very mobile in her sleep and works her way from one side to the other.  How would you mamas feel?  Keep her where she is or set up the pack and play?  Below is a picture the sides of the bassinet/sidecar.

032.JPG

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#2 of 3 Old 11-23-2011, 04:43 PM

I assumed the worry was that they could roll up and out... once they are rolling well I assume they would not suffocate b/c they would move themselves if they couldn't breathe. However, you probably have be more careful about extra bedding etc (b/c they could pull it up over themselves or something).

I stopped using the moses basket when I looked over and saw my first child half OUT of the basket in his sleep. I have bedshared with all my kids for their primary nighttime sleep spot, so can't really comment on the sidecar safety with a mobile baby. BUT, friends of mine took a regular crib and figured out how to remove one side and "sidecar" that to their bed, which they used for a good long while.

dissertating mom to three

#3 of 3 Old 11-25-2011, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Eh, I looked at manufactuers details and they said once they are rolling over (or 20 pounds or 4 months) it isn't considered safe.  Last night I kept having to move her back to the middle because she was face planted against the side.  She has gone back to tummy fully twice today on her playmat, and is more consistently going back to side.  DH is moving the pack and play to our room now.  I'm not thrilled, but I'm also paranoid about safe sleep.  I can't believe she is already out "grown" it.  I'm kind of sad, but hoping I can pawn it off on a friend to get it out of my house!

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page