HELP! Clogged milk duct :*( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-24-2011, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh god the pain.

At about 4 or 5 pm yesterday I noticed my right breast was unusually sore feeling.

I choked it up to being a bit late for a pumping and went about my usual business, pumped and all that jazz.

It progressively got sorer to the point where I can no longer lay on my right side or have my breast unsupported, pumping is killing me and nothing seems to be helping in the long run.

I have started taking a hot shower before pumping, keeping a hot compress on it constantly and using a vibrating massager on it.

While these things do give me some relief/comfort they dont seem to be unclogging it.

Any tips? How long does a clog normally take to undo itself?

Could caffeine be the cause? I drank two Full Throttles yesterday morning....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2011, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

And now, while my boob is feeling a tiny bit better, I have a low grade fever...99.9 and my normal base line is 97.6

Old 11-25-2011, 06:16 AM

take some ibuprofen - it will help fight the inflamation -

I used to get the baby to nurse in all sorts of positions to get the duct unclogged.

I have never had it progress into mastitis with a fever, but I the ibuprofen will help with that as well

My MW told me to take it regularilly because you need to keep a certain level of it in your system for it to be effective - so just taking a  single dose might not be enough to help.

hope you feel better soon and that you get a response from someone who has btdt :)

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

Old 11-25-2011, 07:22 AM

I think you're doing all the right things. Most important is not to give up on the clogged breast, but keep on nursing or pumping. I don't know much about pumping, but when I had clogged ducts I used to nurse my oldest in all different kinds of positions, like Saoirse, to make sure that the breast got drained as completely as possible. I have never heard of caffeine causing clogged ducts, so I wouldn't fret about that.

But if you have developed a fever, you need to call your doc, hon. That's not just a clogged duct, that's mastitis. You will probably get antibiotics to clear it up. Very important when you have mastitis, is making sure you get enough rest. Take good care of yourself!

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

Old 11-25-2011, 09:43 AM

Yea, I had the same thing happen to me, and had to take antibitiocs for mastitis in the end. The mastitis came back twice so I feel for you. If you can meet with a lactation consultant, do it. They will have ideas. If your fever goes over 100, you should call your doctor. In the mean time, take lots raw garlic to fight the infection (helped me not have to take an extra round of abx), ibuprofen for the pain and swelling, and get some probitiocs because if you start abx for mastitis, you'll want to do everything you can to keep your good bacteria. My babe did not love being on the abx with me. She got diarrhea.

Nurse in every position you can imagine. Football hold, babe sort of laying on you vertical, lay him down on the bed and hang over to nurse him or on all fours. The all fours one is especially good to use gravity to help move things along. Massage the affected area while he feeds. Massage it in a hot shower. Put hot compresses on for 15 minutes before feeding or pumping. If he only feeds a few minutes and is not emptying the breast, pump after he eats. It will hurt. You have to nurse through it or it will only get worse. The ibuprofen will help.

The abx I took (Dicloxicill) wasn't totally effective at eliminating the infection for me. Later after I saw the lactation consultant she said if it happens again to request a milk culture from my doctor, because they can identify the bacteria and choose the best antibioitic that way.

Oh, and everyone told me rest was the biggest thing I should get to fight off mastitis. Um, yea, I have a baby who likes to feed every two hours or less. Telling a new mom to rest is kind of ridiculous, but do try to get as much as you can. If you are able to pump, have someone give the baby a bottle if possible and go to bed. Or at least have someone help out to the max for a day or two to get your rest.

But do contact your doctor if the fever persists. I ended up in bed with the chills and flu like symptoms until I started abx.  Good luck!

Old 11-25-2011, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Oh the indignity.

My fever went back down, I was an idiot and took it directly after getting out of a hot shower...DUUUUUHHHH!!

My little man is not nursing still so I made (ok, so he has been begging to anyway) "nurse" from underneath like suggested and I think it helped.

Im much less sore this morning and pumping/massaging is actually bearable!

Hope I never have to deal with that again...jeez...

Old 11-25-2011, 11:04 AM

Keep up the massaging and everything else for a while. It can reoccur easily, and you really don't want it to escalate to mastitis. Pay special attention to emptying that duct until he is eating more and you are less likely to get plugged up.

User Tag List