Chat Thread 12/4-12/10 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 246 Old 12-13-2011, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

katico- I love you daughters little tree:). I totally know what you mean about having a vision of what it will look like, then the little people take over and then well it looks nothing like what you anticipated. Last halloween I wanted to do something special to put on Emerics grave (he had just been gone a couple months) so I found a craft pumpking. The idea was to paint it black and cover it in glitter glue to make it sparkle and write his name in glow in the dark paint. Well this is what it turned out like... at least the kids had fun.

oct 2010 126.JPG

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#122 of 246 Old 12-13-2011, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

not_telling - the monkey shirt makes me laugh. Dtd around here is almost never spontaneous but in a way I prefer it that way, I like to be freshly clean when we do it.

livacreature - sounds like a lovely day.

trees - yeah, decorating a tree is lovely "idea" - I must say I don't really enjoy it in practice, & I'm not even very particular about my tree.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#123 of 246 Old 12-13-2011, 03:52 PM

theboysmama - I bet they had fun doing that craft!

afm - saw the ob today. He was thrilled with my non-diabetic test results. He also examined my scar tissue & felt it was ok & no follow needed to be done to correct it. It does feel a LOT better than a couple weeks ago. He did say there is a small spot, maybe 1cm that is a little off but it doesn't foresee it being troublesome. What a relief.

Gosh I'm grumpy lately.

#124 of 246 Old 12-13-2011, 07:53 PM

they did have fun but oh boy i had a hard time just letting go. We put it out again this year and I realized how perfect it really is!!

dtd- dd2 is staying up really late lately so after the other kids go to bed she is still up then she goes to sleep when I do. We will probably have to take advantage of the mornings but honestly I am ok with it not being too frequent. I have absolutely NO sex drive and it is so hard to just suck it up. We just dtd for the first time on sun and it didn't hurt at all, Hooray! Waiting longer really helps the healing.

gender roles- we have roles around here that just work for us; some are gender specific and others not. Nothing is set in stone and we try to be flexible.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#125 of 246 Old 12-13-2011, 08:19 PM

Lifeguard - yay for good Dr visits!

Amy May - exciting that you're move is official now!  My boss finally called me back so now I'm all set with a schedule for my few weeks back at work -- huge load off.  I am relieved and so ready to get through to my new life. 

Steph - I hope all went well with your court date

gender roles - I am also surprised at how traditional we are. DH doesn't cook. He doesn't clean very well (beyond picking up toys), and rarely without me asking.  However, he does the dishes, garbage, and any repairs.  And he does a lot with the kids, though with breastfeeding there's only so much partners can do.

Our DD1 has her own little tree that my stepmom got her a few years ago.  She decorated it for her and we've never taken the ornaments off, we just put it away every year, take it out, and fluff it up orngtongue.gif

I had a marathon baking session & got cookies made for out-of-town family.  Today I got too busy to make it to the post office, so I'll have to go tomorrow. They should still make it there by the weekend and they're in tupperware so I think they'll be fine. Glad to have that out of the way.  I'll have another bake-a-thon next week for in-town people.  Anyone have a good cookie recipe that involves chocolate?

DD2 is still gaining very, very slowly.  Ugh. My Dr reassured me last week that things are fine, but man, I am ready to talk to her in person. OTOH, really, I am getting hung up over a few ounces, which realistically is the difference between whether she just ate or not, or pooped, or peed.  I just need to forget how freaking huge she was at birth. If you take her gain from her lowest weight it's just slightly below the normal range. We have our 2 month appt next week. I just want to be reassured. Though what I'd do different, I'm not sure.

Did I mention that this baby, who gets up to 16oz of formula every day, won't take a bottle dizzy.gif

ETA: going away for a few days. I know many of you all use disposable diapers when you travel, but I'm torn for such a short trip. Have any of you used the Grovia or Flip or anything?

#126 of 246 Old 12-13-2011, 10:33 PM

My son and I went to my mom's for 6 days. We just used cloth dipes for the trip, plane and all. But she has a washing machine for me to use.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#127 of 246 Old 12-14-2011, 06:40 AM

Thanks for the good thoughts on the court stuff, everyone. Kai and I are finally home so I thought I would give a little update. I can't say too much about it, other than it went in our favor and things worked out really well. There is still one huge, life changing decision looming in the air. I am just sitting on pins and needles, waiting for my lawyer to call me and let me know what the result of that is (which we have to wait for my ex to let his lawyer know, who will let my lawyer know). I am really hoping that the right decision is made. That would be such a wonderful Christmas gift. I know I probably sound crazy since I can't really say what's going on, but I did want to thank everyone for their good thoughts.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#128 of 246 Old 12-14-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katico View Post

I think I need ANOTHER tiny tree just for Mama to decorate  lol.gif

haha when I taught parent/caregiver and child art classes we always tried so hard to get the adults to do their own projects-- rather than their kids'

and the tree is sweet :) I'd love that in my house... well, if I HAD a house. Since our house is only really 2 rooms, the only tree we actually can fit for all of us is a mini one. So, thats easy!

Now when we do "crafts" together I just let my 2yo DD do whatever she wants. If she wants to cut it up into little pieces, thats AOK. If she wants to cook with me I often do the same- give her a small knife and a piece of something on a cutting board and let her do whatever she wants to. I am really totally process oriented these days for her. Helps to have a big kid (7) who is very focused on results. I give DD the same materials and a work space and let her go to town. I try to work alongside them (what I always taught people to do) and assist them only if they request it. Easier said than done. However- tonight we will be wrapping up teacher gifts, so it will really be MY craft that the kids decorate, ya know? But anyway, I am kind of a slob and I am just happy to get anything accomplished these days, so I don't really care about whether the tempeh peices are evenly cubed in our dinner, I am just impressed that I manage a hot meal every night with three kids underfoot in a galley kitchen that is literally the hallway between our rooms...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

AFM: My baby is crying less now, but still just not that "happy" of a baby. My ds was this way, but I'd expected them to be VERY different babies. She smiles, kinda, once or twice a day, and never a big, silly grin or anything. I know it is not an indication of how she'll be later, but it's tough now. I want to enjoy her so much more, but she's just serious or screaming most of the time. Jealous of the smile shots in the picture thread...

Glad to hear the screaming is abating. Being contemplative/serious- it might be her personality, might change with maturity... anyway, thoughtful quiet serious people aren't bad to have around either ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

afm - saw the ob today. He was thrilled with my non-diabetic test results.

this is such good news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyanna View Post

ETA: going away for a few days. I know many of you all use disposable diapers when you travel, but I'm torn for such a short trip. Have any of you used the Grovia or Flip or anything?

I've done it both ways. If you are driving or space/weight aren't an issue, and there is a washing machine there, cloth would seem just as convenient to me. You might want to throw in a pack of sposies in case it turns out to be hard to use the washer? Anyway when I am flying I prefer not to carry a lot of diapers with me, but was generally traveling alone with 2 kids, so I had to carry everything for 3 people, and cloth diapers just weren't the priority in that situation.

Friend coming over in  a few hours and I am making dinner for two different neighbors that had baby boys over the weekend. So, domesticity calls.

I had this realization yesterday, that if I wasn't going back to work... if I was planning to be a f/t SAHM indefinitely, that I'd be feeling pretty good about things right now (well, except that its me, so I'd be stressing about whether that was a good decision for me, about being dependent on DH, about giving up things that are very important to me, about long-term financial stability and opportunities for our kids, etc, so that is why I am not doing this). Because- kids are doing great, everything is going pretty well. We are low income, but we are healthy, we are together, things are basically good. Anyway. Its my own work/career that is stressing me out. But, I've realized that I will at most be teaching 1 class a semester next year and trying to get some research published. This is depressing $$-wise and in terms of professional progress, perhaps, but also just relaxing to accept. Anyway. Still need to finish the darn dissertation and defend it and get my degree. But I am shelving the whole job market/big picture stuff for now.

OK! Off to make soup and put away laundry. I'm looking forward to seeing my friend even though I feel that I must clean up for her :)

dissertating mom to three

#129 of 246 Old 12-14-2011, 08:46 AM

Steph - glad things went well. I hope the big decision goes the way you want it to!

RE: travel & diapering -- we are driving, so space isn't an issue, but there is no washing machine where we're going (cabin).  It's only 2 nights, but I don't trust that I have enough cloth to make it without washing.  The more I'm reading I'm considering the Grovia biosoakers since it looks like you can just put them in any kind of cover. Then I'd take cloth also to use towards the end of the trip and we can just bring home & wash. Or we'll just get a pack of pampers...

#130 of 246 Old 12-14-2011, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Emma, thanks for sharing what you did above regarding how you're feeling. I have a mixed bag, too, but mainly I feel pretty good about where I am, though I'm not the famous artist I thought I'd be by now (how embarrassing.)

Steph, fingers are crossed for you.

AFM: I sent out a plea to friends to borrow a swing, and my friend brought me one an hour and a half ago, and guess who has been sleeping peacefully in it for said hour and a half? ME! No, just kidding, Iona. She's completely peaceful, and my back and neck and shoulders and mood totally needed the break. I really hope this is not a one-time occurrence. I think I will wrap some Christmas presents before I have to pick up Pascal. What a thought!

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#131 of 246 Old 12-14-2011, 09:04 AM

rosemary- I have a cranky, serious, lo as well. We have a cradle swing and it is like baby crack!!! I typically feel I should wear my babies and keep them close but her energy really wears on me. Having he in the swing is great, I get a bit of a break and she sleeps REALLY WELL. I am embarrased to say how many hours a day she is in that thing BUT only a very small ammount of it is when she is awake so not too guilty (just a little). SO glad it is working for you.

dd1's b-day is on tues and I got her 2 pairs of purple leg warmers (one w/ peacocks and one with dinosaurs) a while ago. I hadn't figured out what else I was going to give her with it. I went over to my friends yesterday to p-up some cloth pull ups that she is no longer using and she was making a tule skirt for her daughter. She quickly showed me how to do it. I was soooooo easy. Literally 30 min. or so and I had done one for each of the girls. AND for about $5. so now dd1 will have a purple/white tule tutu to go w/ her new leg warmers and a purple sweater jacket I picked up at good will for $1. She will be thrilled, it is the simple things:). An entire gift for $10 (including the leg warmers from babysnazz) SCORE!

#132 of 246 Old 12-14-2011, 02:17 PM

Hi everyone!

Just caught up reading, and somehow you all managed to find time to be talkative again.  I don't know how you do it!!  :)

Malcolm is about 11 weeks old now.  (Double-digits already???)  My DS in 1st grade had homework to measure something in as many ways as he could think of, so we measured Malcolm.  Weighed him, measured his length, his head, his temperature, all that good stuff.  I'm almost ashamed to say I still haven't taken him to a doctor, yet.  I get so lazy with that now!  We don't vaccinate, and my midwife's newborn check was extremely thorough, and I can tell he's obviously growing well, so it's just not in the forefront of my mind.  Every time I think about making an appointment, it's after hours.  Anyway.  By our scale (weighing me w/o Malcolm, then weighing both of us), he's almost 14lbs even at this point, and a good 24.5 inches (if I managed to measure right, trying to hold a measuring tape and a wiggly baby!), and 16 inches around the head.  Growing so fast!  We're getting to the point of almost needing to officially switch over to 3-6 month clothing!  He's beginning to pay attention to what his hands are doing.  He's be grabbing hanging toys on his playmat when his hands run into them for a couple weeks now, but now he's focusing on watching his hands.  Last night he stared intently at his hand grabbing DH's thumb.  He still isn't really laughing, though.  I have a serious baby, I guess!  His smiley moments are very brief... even when he's very alert he prefers to just observe instead of interact.  But he's still just as adorable when he's just looking around.  :)

He got over his cold this week, and went right back to sleeping soundly through the night.  Woke up this morning with another snotty nose, though, so maybe he's coming down with another cold.  Hopefully not as yucky as the last one.

We're almost done getting ready for Christmas!  I felt like I needed to get a few things for Malcolm, because my other kids were asking about it, so I got him things like an amber teething necklace, a teething giraffe, and a hanging bar toy that I can clip to his car seat.  Stuff that will hopefully be very useful in the coming months.  ;)

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#133 of 246 Old 12-14-2011, 04:41 PM

leiahs - I LOVE the measuring assignment - so cute. To measure the baby if you lay him flat on a surface, make a mark on the surface at his head & then stretch out his leg & put a mark under his foot. Then just measure between the two marks.

theboysmama - love the purple themed gift. Sounds really cute.

swing - I was sitting here reading thinking wow the swing sounds so lovely I wish I had one. Duh! I do, dd is in it now but it most certainly is not the magic sleep maker others are finding. Dd is ok in it for a short time, usually when awake which is better than ds. When we put ds in it he would look at us with this wtf expression - it was too funny. He didn't hate it but he certainly did not like it.

I had made ring slings for myself & dh when ds was a baby which we used a lot. Of course now I have broken out the ring sling again & getting lots of use out of it. I forgot how many comments that simple item brings - too funny. Dh has been urging me since ds was born to start making them to sell & after yesterday's excursion to the mall & all the comments we got I decided that he's right. I'm kind of excited. I have a few things to figure out but I think I will start in the new year to create myself a small business making & selling ring slings, to start. I'm nervous 'cause I worry my sewing is not perfect enough for something someone is paying money for but I get such positive comments I'm thinking I'm just being too self-critical (that NEVER happens)

#134 of 246 Old 12-14-2011, 05:05 PM

NAK

Steph- so glad for the good news, fingers staying crossed!

Rosemary- yay for swing!

Lifeguard- I know this is late, but excellent news on gtt test! What a relief

Dollyanna- we chose to fly Southwest so we could get 2 free checked bags.  One suitcase is just cloth diapers.  For a shorter trip we would probably use disposables.

Pets- none for us, but my sister has a datshaund/poodle named Jasper.  He's a sweet dog, but definitely not used to not being the center of attention.  He constantly wants to lick her face.  If we stayed with her for any longer, Palesa's first words would be "Jasper, no!"

AFM- my boss wrote back and asked me to agree that January 20th will be my last day with the company.  And first day back from maternity leave.  We need to communicate to our landlord about our move.  She's reasonable, but we'll be breaking the lease.  We're asking her to let us out of it to avoid testing for lead, which would mean she'd have to replace all the windows in the house, at the minimum.  We go back to Boston on Saturday.  DH and I are not in agreement about getting home from the airport.  He wants our friend to pick us up.  Who has a 2 door Civic.  We have 8 pieces of luggage, 3 adults, a baby, and a carseat.  Taxi minivan?

DH's parents and brother will be coming up for Christmas from Brooklyn.  So I guess we are getting a tree.  In my entire life I've never had a live tree, so this is a little exciting.  And then we start packing...I guess it will be a blessing to not be working at least!  I know in a year we'll be able to laugh about the time we had a newborn baby, I quit my job, and we moved to Colorado without having jobs.  

Oh, and part of me wants another baby.  Not right now, but sort of right now.  We'll wait until she's at least 8-9 months, but there is part of me that feels sad because I'll never be able to give birth to Palesa again, or hold her at 2 days old.  So, because Palesa will never be tiny again, I guess we should have another baby!  I actually really miss being pregnant with her.  But I wouldn't trade her for anything, and I wouldn't trade this time we have with her now for anything.  

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#135 of 246 Old 12-14-2011, 06:00 PM

amy may - I'm excited for you & your first tree!!! I'd move with a newborn over an older baby. Ds was crawling when we moved which made getting set up complicated yet important for safety.

another baby - I'm sooo much sadder this time watching dd grow. With ds it was exciting but this time I want to cling to every minute. Very excited to do it all again. When I saw the ob yesterday & had my scarring checked "so I don't have the same troubles pushing next time" he laughed & said I guess you're not wanting birth control! (nevermind our fertility issues). I think we will wait a year before doing anything in earnest.

#136 of 246 Old 12-14-2011, 06:59 PM
~pi

lifeguard, that is such great news about your GTT! I hope your doctor told you that it may well be because of all the work you have done. There is strong evidence showing that, for people at higher risk of type 2, losing 5-10% of body weight significantly reduces one's chances of developing it.

Amy May, how exciting for you and your family! I hope your mom is doing well. And i know what you mean about thinking new baby thoughts because current baby is growing up.

Steph, hooray, and fingers crossed.

Miscellaneous thoughts:

We finally have smiles here!! Mothers of serious little ones, take heart. I've even gotten some laughter. The fish mobile above the change table is apparently very amusing. I got the best giggles yet with that this morning.

Got all the 2mo vaccines yesterday. He did not enjoy the oral vax or the jabs, but at least they had a student NP on hand, so she and our usual NP each did one needle, both at the same time for less pain. Once it was over, I nursed him, and life was OK again. He had a mild fever and was a little fussier than usual last night, but was back to himself this morning.

I was reading an emotional book while putting both boys to bed tonight and was thinking about how emotion stains backward. I remember life pre-children, but it's almost as if that time, by holding the potential for this time, has emotional heft that I did not see back then. I don't know if that quite makes sense -- I haven't completely worked it out for myself yet.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#137 of 246 Old 12-15-2011, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Amy May, I hope your dh sees the light about the 2-door Civic! You definitely need a van. Your friend would have to take multiple trips! Also, good luck with the move and the jobs. Will you be seeking work in CO or will you wait a while?

Lifeguard, I have a sling that was made for me by a very amateur seamstress, but you cannot tell at all because of the fabric, which hides the stitches. I think it's a really great idea.

HAVING ANOTHER BABY: I wish that I could feel your feelings, those of you who want more babies and mourn the speedy growth of your babes. Every week that led up to 6 weeks was a sigh of relief, and now I'm looking toward 8 weeks and 12 weeks with eagerness, because Iona is happier by the day. These were big changing points for my son, and I see that they will likely be for her as well. If she'd been an easier baby (if I'd EVER had an easier baby) then I would likely be more at peace with the idea of another. I like older babies. I can see her and enjoy her and she's a beautiful person. I know that I'm bonding in a deper way now because I finally have a song for her (I make up songs for DS all the time, starting when he was a very wee one, and for the life of me, could not sing a single thing to this baby until 2 nights ago when something nice came to me.)

Pi, tell more about what you meant above when you have a chance to process it. There was a "yes" in there for me, but it's kind of fuzzy! (Isn't everything?) It's also heartening to hear that your ds is smiling more now. Iona is doing it a bit more, and making pleasant faces if not full smiles more. Hard to wait!

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#138 of 246 Old 12-15-2011, 06:13 AM

I have been reading this thread and looking at the pics in the pic thread and honestly I am a bit worried. I am trying not to worry because honestly I worried my whole entire pregnancy about this baby and really was hoping when she got here I could relax a bit but it just hasn't happened (I am normally a very relaxed easy going mom).

Saphira is not smiling not at all. (2 months old tomorrow) Every once in a while she gives the tiniest half grin that might just might be something but it isn't in relation to anything and she isn't looking at anything/anyone when she does it. She does not make eye contact at all and she doesn't track with her eyes. She is crabby unless she is sleeping and she sleeps a lot! Way more than any of my others did at this point. She doesn't respond at all to sound and there is a lot here so I don't know if she is just tuning it out or if she can't hear.

I have an appt. scheduled for her mid january with our family practice dr and will discuss these things with him then. Part of me doesn't want to wait but the rest of me doesn't want to know.

rosemary- was ot your ds that dressed as a princess for halloween? If not then this can go to whover had a ds that dressed as a princess for halloween (an the annoying neighbors that didn't approve).

I was thinking about the awesome tule skirt that I made for my dd. She will wear it all the time but it will be great for dress up. I was thinking you could make it in blue (dark blue, light blue, and maybe a little white) then you could show the neighbors how correct you are by assigning ds the gender specific color of blue and then look at them blankly when they still don't understand the puffy skirt. My 5 yr old might try and confiscate my dd's. It looks so fluff and fun how could a kiddo not love it:)

#139 of 246 Old 12-15-2011, 12:31 PM

Having another baby:  I cannot wait.  I get so sad when I think of the day we'll be done.  But on the other hand,  I am so excited for them to grow and become who they'll be.  I've struggled with serious depression my whole life and was honestly never happy until our first was born.  She split through that darkness and it has disappeared.  Honestly, having babies has done for me what years of therapy couldn't have.  It made everything so clear.   Having them has brought such happiness and it's like a drug, yknow?  I can't get enough of it.  Happiness and peace and contentedness and optimism  and purpose and perspective.  These beautiful little souls, it is just a privilege to do this job.  It has just come so easily to me and I feel like it's what I was meant to do.  I would have 10 if it were feasible!  

baby swing:  yes.  Love this thing.  I also prefer to hold her while she sleeps but I would honestly just never get anything done.  And she looooves it.  Loves it.   I was thinking yesterday how she sleeps more than DD1 did and actually, I think it is probably because of the swing (we didn't have one the first time around) - she is just so happy in it she stays asleep longer!

dollyanna:  she won't take a bottle?  You're doing all that supplementing at the breast?  Props, girl - that's awesome!

xmas gifts for the baby - same here, Leiahs, I hadn't planned on gifts for her but DD1 is insistant she needs some.  I picked up a sweet little Japanese bowl (it has the dearest bunnies on it)  for when she starts to eat, and will probably take DD1 to pick out a toy of some sort.  I need to look for a toy bar for our carseat too - thanks for the reminder!

diapers:  holy hannah.  This babies PEES.  Honestly, yesterday from about 1pm to 10pm, I changed her diaper LITERALLY every 20 minutes, max.  She was soaking them one after another!  And she has zero tolerance for wet so she screamed every time until she was changed.  That's at least 3 diapers an hour, for 9 hours. That's some crazy math!  I'm tired. Thankfully she slept until 6:3p am and then until 8:30am!!

Christmas:  tree is finally decorated, some last minute crafting is happening (knitting a ballerina, sewing a hot pink sequined play dress, making sparkle playdough), I really need to start wrapping gifts and doing some baking! Our advent gifts have been a godsend, giving DD1 an activity most days - today was a new birdfeeder so we spent a good amount of time outside, refilling all the feeders and playing.   

pi:  I am an extremely nostalgic person, I definitely tint the past (my own and others') with emotion and meaning that wasn't realized at the time or might not have been there at all!  

lifeguard:  love the sling idea.  It's true that they get SO many comments while in public,.  When I ordered mine off etsy the seller sent some business cards with it and I did actually hand them out to strangers because people ask all.the.time.  Constantly.  And I always tell them it's the one piece of gear I absolutely couldn't do without.  Today I walked, sewed, baked and played all while baby slept in it.  

rosemary: tell us about your art!

theboysmama:  ohh, hugs to you!  those definitely sound like concerning signs.  I hope your doctor can reassure you though.   I'll be thinking of you xo

Both babes are sleeping as I type, so I suppose I should really go do something productive....like dishes....or something.....but honestly, chatting here with you ladies has been such a wonderful thing, I consider it productive and necessary, too!  grouphug.gif

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#140 of 246 Old 12-15-2011, 01:51 PM

Diapers: My girl (still in sposies, her cloth don't fit yet) is crazy tolerant of wet diapers, but abhors diaper change.  She screams out with the most gut wrenching noise the second the diaper is off and doesn't stop until she is back in a new diaper or in a warm bath.  We only use water to clean her, she has no rash or anything.  It honestly makes me postpone times between diaper changes because she gets so worked up.  It takes a while to consol her after each change.  I keep her diapers near a heat vent so they are warm, always use warm water to wipe her, try to keep her fairly covered so she doesn't get cold.  I don't know what is up with her.

Swing: We bought one on consignment on Saturday and I love it.  She sat happily in it last night for an hour while DH and I played Just Dance on the Wii.  She will sit quietly while I do the dishes.  Best $25 I ever spent!

Another baby: I love love love being a mommy.  But if we were to have another one, it will be when Aurora is much older.  I don't think I want to be pregnant again, and I want to focus on her before going into the complicated world of adoption.  I guess one of the good things about having your first kid relatively young (25) is that we have lots of time to decide on the second.  I'm wanting to hold on to all of this baby time.  She's an easy baby, as far as they go, and I try really hard to enjoy everyday we have together.  I don't want to regret taking it for granted.  I do find myself a bit sad that she's going to be my only biokid, my only pregnancy, and parts of that experience are in the past.

Smiles: I got two giggles today!  I melted.  I'm hoping she'll do it for Daddy while I'm at work. 

Christmas: I need to clean the house, I'm hosting this year.  And it is a mess.  And I'm back at work.  Ahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It's all good.  I just need to remember to water the tree before it sets my house on fire.

I do need to have an uncomfortable chat with my mom, who smokes on the sly and likes to act like no one knows about it.  When she was visiting after Aurora was born, the baby was suddenly congested upon her arrival and it lifted promptly upon her return.  We think the odor (it is very strong) on her clothing was triggering some allergies.  So I need to tell her to please change clothes before holding the baby.  I'm hoping that she understand that I am just looking out for my daughter's health and doesn't see it as a personal attack.

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#141 of 246 Old 12-15-2011, 03:15 PM

Steph - so glad things seem to be going in your son's favor...a big phew!  and i hope you continue to get good news on that front.

dollyanna - definitely look at weight gain from the lowest weight, not birth weight.  when you say her gain is "slightly below the normal range"...what is the normal range you're referring to?  i think it's good your doc isn't concerned, since weight gain is one of those things peds tend to go wacky over.

Amy May - looking forward to hearing more updates about your life changes smile.gif...and do let us know when you're pregnant again winky.gif.

livacreature - ugh!  can't stand cigarette smoke smell.  i have the kind of hair where, if i just walk by someone smoking, i can smell it in my hair hours later.  baby's are really sensitive to these things, so i understand why you need to have the conversation.  there's a teacher at my son's school who smokes outside and then goes in and works with the toddler group.  i am so glad she's not in the preschool room, and feel bad for those little ones...i've walked past her when she's just come back from smoking and she reeks.

theboysmama - i can understand why you're feeling concerned...hopefully it's just a small delay or temperment thing.  i think you said that 1 or 2 of your older kids have had developmental issues...so i know you know what to look for...just want to send you hug2.gif.

katico - loved reading your feelings about being a mama. luxlove.gif

afm - DD had her 2 month check up today and got her HiB vax.  Ped asked how she's been sleeping and I said we sometimes get a 6-7 hour stretch.  She said that if she's sleeping that well, this could be a good time to move her into her own sleeping space (co-sleeper instead of my armpit).  I feel torn.  On the one hand, I did want her to do more sleeping in the co-sleeper than DS did, mostly cuz of the toll armpit sleeping takes on my body.  And also the cuddle with DH factor.   But, I also get paranoid about her not being "Right There" next to me...even though, in the co-sleeper, she's essentially right there next to me...just not touching me.  But, we know so much through touch.  And I still worry about reflux - I try to keep her propped up when she sleeps with me.  Sigh... anyway, she's passed out right now in the co-sleeper (first time I've put her in there - I put her in while she was already asleep).  I did put some cushioning under the mattress so that it's elevated at the head side.  When she sleeps with me I also often have her on her side...so not totally sure how to achieve that. 

did more spot cleaning today in anticipation of IL's arrival this weekend.  bought flowers, too.  and a super huge pinecone (sugar pinecone?)  every home needs a very very large pinecone.  now i'm going to take my weekly shower.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#142 of 246 Old 12-15-2011, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

I've been reading along, just no time to ever reply or say everything I want to say greensad.gif

Im so happy, I bought an airline ticket to go home for Christmas!! I wasn't going to go this year since I had Landon and wanted dp to spend Christmas with us, but I have 2 weeks off starting Tuesday and it's silly for me not to go. Dp bought me a first class ticket to go as my Christmas present. I didn't want to just fly coach, unless I had a seat for Landon too. The seats are too small and close together for me to be comfortable doing it with Landon on my lap the whole time. It's a long flight, 6 1/2 hours, NYC to Seattle. I'm so happy that all my family will get to meet Landon. But, I am sad that we won't be with dp over Christmas. It will be nice for me to have some help with Landon though. It is all me, all the time now. It's exhausting.

He smiles all the time now! But, still won't sleep during the day. And is cranky as heck all afternoon and evening because of it.

Landon is crying.....off I go for now.....

Chelsea, loving mama to Landon, born 11/3

#143 of 246 Old 12-15-2011, 07:29 PM

rosemary - I love the song thing - soooo sweet. I try singing to ds sometimes but he has never liked it - he full out puts his hands over his ears now.

theboysmama - I hope things are ok with your dd. Hopefully your doctor is some help.

katico - wow, I could have written your post. I realllly struggled with depression for all of my twenties (& some of my teens & thirties!), taking 6 years to conceive ds did not help. So many times I questioned if I should have children at all because of the severity of my depression (how would I take care of a child through it, could I pass it on, etc.). Anyway, since becoming pregnant with ds things just levelled off for me & I have never felt better about myself & the world around me. Becoming a mommy was a fairly easy transition for me & it just feels so right. Friends said to me when they saw me for the first time after I had ds "it's like all this time you were missing an arm & we couldn't place what was wrong & now you got your arm back - you just seem complete - this is what you were missing". It is sad to me that it takes us so long to conceive 'cause being 34 now there are only so many years left.

livacreature - I hope your chat goes well with your mom.

not_telling - wow - 6 hours of sleep, that is so great!

chelsea - that sounds great, enjoy your trip home.

afm - tonight I went to my LLL meeting. I realized that of the 4 moms with young babies 3 of us had left the bucket seats in the car & brought our babies inside in a sling. I just thought that was kind of neat as in our small little town carrying in a sling is not really that common. I guess that's part of why I enjoy those meetings! Ds was having a little meltdown & really needing some mommy time & one of the other mom's took dd from me without question - so nice to be around other women who just get it.

#144 of 246 Old 12-15-2011, 10:13 PM

Beth, reading your feelings about motherhood is so sweet.  I definitely feel like this is something I was meant to do, especially now that I have two kids. It just feels right. But it's also true that my 3 year old drives me completely insane at times and I'm not always proud of how I react to her.  I'm working on it.

cbeclipse - that's awesome you are going to see your family!

theboysmama - I hope your little one makes some reassuring smiles & giggles soon.  I have just gotten a few smiles I *think* in the last 2 days (she's 8 weeks today) and a little more eye contact. 

not_telling - I hope I don't jinx it, but my DD is also an amazing sleeper - usually I get a good 4-6 hour stretch.  I suppose that's probably contributing to her slow weight gain. Hopefully the ped doesn't tell me I have to start waking her to eat again crap.gif  The slow gain is from her lowest weight (not birth weight).  I love my pediatrician. It is one of the saddest parts about losing my job & thus health coverage & thus my ped.  She is soooo chill about things when my natural tendency is to freak out. And she also had low milk supply, so it's nice she can relate to me in that way as well.

smoking -- my mom smokes, but luckily not heavily enough for it to smell completely gross at her house. She mostly smokes in her bedroom.  She knows it is bad to have around babies/small kids so she at least goes to the opposite end of the house to smoke if we are there. Xmas will be at our house, so she'll have to smoke outside.  My mom's sister & husband are MASSIVE chain smokers and they don't care at all if babies are nearby.  It makes visiting them icky.

AFM - my day was crazy.  I was on the run pretty much all day, stopped at home for about an hour before I had to pick DD1 up from school.  In that hour I remembered to empty the wet/dry bag of the dirty diaper that happened while we were out in the morning plus the one that was in there I had forgotten for days duh.gif but neglected to check to make sure there were any clean ones in there.  2 hours later I realized I had no diapers, and about 2 more hours out of the house at DD1's school to get through. 

I had one of DD1's old pullups in the glove box, so right in the middle of DD1's school bathroom with everyone milling about, I put an 8 week old in a 3 year old's diaper and a flip cover 2whistle.gif

Then I guess I lost track of time, and by the time we hit the car DD1 was a freaking tired mess and, I realized about a minute into the car ride home, DD2 was starving.  So hungry, in fact, that when she got home and DH came & got her while I parked the car, she took a bottle for the 1st time in weeks.  Then she took more from the boob & lact-aid when I came inside. And then she barfed. 

So was today a total mom fail? Success?  A little of both? shrug.gif

#145 of 246 Old 12-16-2011, 07:49 AM

dollyanna - I'd call your day a success on the parenting front. Maybe not an overall success, because of the stress and frustration you probably felt--but your improvisation impresses me. :) Oh, the things moms do in a pinch!

Beth and Lifeguard - how neat to see how you feel about your kids. I've never struggled with depression, but because my mom is bipolar and my dad has severe depression I knew I was at risk for it. I was terrified that my postpartum period or the stress of a newborn would bring on depression... no way. If anything having DS has been a safeguard against depression. He's amazing.

smoking - My uncle is a chain smoker--like, multiple packs a day, ewwwwww. Thankfully he has to smoke outside (he spends a LOT of time outside) but he always reeks of smoke. Between the drunk family and the smokers, our Christmas get together might be yucky.

cbeclipse - hooray for going home! I'm sure it'll be great to see your family. Hopefully it'll be a restful trip, too, since you'll have family to help you out with Landon. I'm glad your DP was able to do that for you.

AFM - I've had this cold sticking around for a while, but I'm on the tail end of it now. Unfortunately, as of yesterday DS has caught it. He's stuffed up and I know his throat probably hurts because he has this dry cough going on. Definitely a fussy little guy. He's nursing fitfully too, probably a combination of the stuffy nose and the throat. I feel bad for him. He's sleeping on my chest now, after being up for just half an hour. Poor little guy.

Yesterday I donated blood at the Red Cross drive my church held. My best friend was giving right before me, so she was going to take DS for me. Unfortunately, she wasn't done when I got there, and I didn't want to hold up the line, so I put him in the childcare they provided. It was a woman I know from church, and I thought she'd be good with him... but she didn't even seem to want to hold him. She was like, "Where do you want to put him?" She clearly wasn't reaching for him... so I said we could put him on his blanket for some tummy time she she said, "Oh, yeah, that'll work". He was happy there (smiles and everything) for a little while... but within 5 minutes, I could hear him screaming down the hall. I couldn't go get him by that time, so I just had to listen to him scream and feel like a terrible mother until my friend finished donating and went and got him. He calmed down right away, so I have to wonder what that other woman was doing (or more likely, NOT doing) to him. Ugh. Never leaving him with her again for sure. Next time I won't care about holding up the line.

Mom to Eli babyboy.gif 10/18/11 and loving wife to Derrin. heartbeat.gif 

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

#146 of 246 Old 12-16-2011, 09:33 AM

dollyanna - we all have those days. I admit I have forgotten to feed ds more than once until he's totally grumpy. Poor kid.

trinket -ick, some people sure do seem clueless, I'm glad your friend was there to help. Good for you for donating, I haven't gone in years.

Dd slept during the night & for 6.5 hours straight last night!!! Wow! Weird though, I wasn't engorged when she woke & could barely pump 2oz.

#147 of 246 Old 12-16-2011, 09:35 AM

My dad is really sick. They are admitting him to icu. He has sepsis, but is too sick to go in to surgery. His kidneys are failing. He hasn't been able to take his diabetes medicine for over a week. He was in the er last saturday. On monday I took him to the dr. We will be driving back up to michigan as soon as I pick ds up from school (as soon as dh gets back home). Please pray for him. I have a 15 year old sister who lives with him (mom and dad are divorced, but mom has been in the hospital with him all day). She will be completely lost if dad doesn't make it.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#148 of 246 Old 12-16-2011, 10:52 AM

Quick note to say you have all my prayers, Steph.  grouphug.gif

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#149 of 246 Old 12-16-2011, 11:11 AM

Prayers for you Steph. So sorry your dad is so sick. hug2.gif

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#150 of 246 Old 12-16-2011, 11:54 AM

So sorry Steph - I hope comes through it safely.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page