Chat Thread 12/4-12/10 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-19-2011, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

Last night we went to a Christmas party which was a nice outing. Ds is really struggling right now with doing things on his own at all. Just like when we bring him to gymnastics he refused to play with the other kids on his own. He wanted one of us right with him the whole time (he even knows these kids). And then because of all the noise & people he was overstimulated (he seems to very easily become overstimulated with too much noise) & started to become hyper & intense - I'm not sure how to describe it but when he gets in these "moods" it's very unsettling for me & I think it is for him too but we don't know how to ground him besides just leaving, which always ends up being a scene. Sigh. The party was nice but sometimes I think I am being selfish by bringing ds to these things.

I'm behind but wanted to comment. Sounds developmental. My son was like this for a while, and my daughter is much more like this right now (she is 2.5). Usually if I wait it out with her (don't make her interact with anyone, let her sit on my lap as long as she wants) she eases up and gets over it. DS got more easily overstimulated, I think I know what you mean. He is still prone to that. He is very passionate and energetic, has many great qualities but he was a PITA in group settings at 2 and 3. By the way, he is apparently a dream student at school now. If you want to go to things, its not selfish. However, I would pick and chose carefully. I skipped (and continue to skip) a lot of stuff that I don't really care about, b/c it just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Vera still sick- just a cold though. She is a remarkably good natured kid even while stuffy and coughing, poor thing.

Rosemary I so want those wool hoods for my girls. I have an acquaintance here who copied one and made her own for her son- it looks great. She said she'd share the pattern she made and then I just have to find a nice soft sweater to use, so hopefully I can get that done in the next few weeks b/c the cold is coming.

dissertating mom to three

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

emma & not_telling: thanks, I do think it is developmental but it is interesting to read the sensory things - I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who couldn't relate to at least a couple of those. We pretty much skipped halloween altogether due to this though & I was hoping this being a house party with all people we knew it would be ok.

hoods: those are sweet although I would have called them balaclavas.

livacreature: so sorry about the hip - I hope the harness resolves it quickly. How old is she now? With ds they wouldn't decide on a harness until he was 3 mos by which point it was already corrected.

pi: at least he was on the floor!

afm: still not really sleeping at night & I am soooooo ready to move on from this stage. Last night was good but I fear she is once again toying with my hope.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 12-20-2011, 09:39 AM
~pi

Quote:

pi: at least he was on the floor!

Ha! Very true. We do not want to repeat that family story. (My DH rolled off a change table onto a concrete floor as a baby. Resulted in a brain compression, chronic headache, propensity toward concussions, etc.)

I hope you can get some sleep soon.

tank and emmaegbert, I hope your little ones are feeling better soon.

starling, best of luck with edits and audit! We were audited two years ago -- so much paperwork. You have my sympathy.

Katico, I love that photo of you wearing Claire.

AFM, it's my birthday today and I am celebrating by finally doing laundry (this is actually exciting -- our main drain has been backing up and we finally got our plumber in this morning to snake it) and taking a walk to go pick a Christmas tree. We tried to get the tree over the weekend, but DS2 was not having a good day, so we had to triage the errands and groceries took priority.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Old 12-20-2011, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Pi, that story about your DS1 is a cautionary tale, but I'm so sorry he still suffers. And..Happy Birthday!!!! .hang.gif  I hope you have something else wonderful planned, but I understand your sentiment.

We're having a Christmas party tonight! Just a few families for pasta and yummy stuff, and a chance to see each other before Christmas. DS and I made cookies and chatted about changing schools. We were worried that he was sad about it, but he says that he's excited to go to the new school. He'll miss his friends, but I told him we could have them over, so that seemed to settle it. He is, however, determined to tell his teacher that he's going to a new school crap.gif (that is the so-named "crap" smiley.)

HIP: how could you tell she had this, livacreature?

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:50 AM

Happy Birthday Pi!

Little man is currently have a little meltdown. He wants to go to Grandma's house but he can't go yet, apparently the hour wait is unbearable. Poor guy.

We live on a country road that basically leads to a dead end (so there is not really "through" traffic) but people drive stupid fast, especially as it is a very hilly road with poor visibility. This morning someone hit our neighbour's dog on the road & then left the poor guy on the side of the road. They found him suffering & had to bring him to be put down. Awful, awful, awful. It just makes me sick. Why can't people just slow the f&*# down?! And when you do something awful like hit a little girl's dog for goodness sake's at least knock on a door.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:35 PM

Quick update- dad is still alive, thank God. Just days ago we were watching from hour to hour not knowing when it would be the end. Now there is a lot more hope and the doctors have started talking about long term healing, as opposed to "how do we keep him alive". He is still in icu and probably will be for awhile. He has had 5 surgeries so far and will have another this afternoon. He'll have another tomorrow and probably another the day after that, at least. Long term, his life will be very different. He doesn't know all the long term impacts yet, we are choosing to let him believe that this is all temporary so that he keeps his spirits up.

Thank you, everyone, for all the good thoughts and prayers. This is definitely a Christmas miracle!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Old 12-20-2011, 03:53 PM

Steph: I'm glad your father is hanging in there and there is a chance of him getting through this.  I hope the prognosis continues to improve for him. 

Rosemary: We didn't notice anything was up, her hips look symmetrical and as far as I know of babies, her range of motion was normal.  They noticed her left hip clunk during her 2 month well child check up when they moved her hips around.  We took her to the ultrasound on Saturday and they confirmed that her left hip was dislocating and both hip sockets are shallow.  We will be meeting with the ortheopedist to get more details, but she will be going into a harness either Friday or after Christmas for around six weeks.  She will get physical therapy and weekly-biweekly ultrasounds to check her progress.  The doctors say that if we do something now there is a 90% chance that we can avoid surgeries or other invasive treatments.  I got pretty upset last night when I was snuggling her in just her diaper because I will miss holding her with nothing in the way, but it is only temporary.  I also hate that her motion will be restricted.  I mean, this kid rolled belly to back at 10 days old, she can scoot and wiggle herself from one end of the bed to the other.  But again, it is a temporary thing.  Just have to focus on that.  And because her clothes won't all work, DH didn't say anything when I ordered eight pairs of babylegs last night.  lol.

Lifeguard: That sucks.  I hate it when people speed through our neighborhood.  It's so sad about your neighbors dog.

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:08 PM

steph - that is a relief to hear that your dad is doing better. I will keep him in my thoughts.

livacreature - that is a big bummer about the hip dysplasia.  Great chances on the resolution, though. Maybe a pair of these cute socks will make the time in the harness more bearable (full disclosure - I own 2 pairs I got on sale myself Sheepish.gif)

lifeguard - so sorry about the dog

pi - Happy birthday!  That is a scary story about your DH.  My DD1 fell off the bed and it turned out ok, thankfully.

Katico - I have also been having insomnia.  It's a little nuts!  DD woke to feed at 3:30am last night and I couldn't fall back asleep until 5:30 (an hour before DD2 woke).  Annoying!  I hope it passes soon for us both.

Rosemary - have a fun party!

xmas gifts - we got DD2 one of those baby gyms from DD1. She never had a decent one, and I figure since I'll be staying home with this one it'll be good to have.  Plus this kid is probably going to get nothing but hand-me-downs until she's old enough to say what she wants, so I figured I'd splurge on one nice new non-thrift store thing.  DD1 is getting books we got through the scholastic club at her school, a few art supplies to replenish ones that are almost gone, a dress and part of a drum set I found at the thrift store.  My Dad has already said they have "way too many gifts" for DD1, so I'm a little worried.  Last year they mostly got her clothes, so hopefully they bought a lot of dresses since that's all she will wear these days.

DD2's 2 month Dr appointment is coming up.  I am worried about her weight gain, so either this appointment will put me at ease or freak me out even more.  My mom is going to watch DD1 for the 1st time ever while I'm at the Dr. I really hope it goes well so that she wants to do it more often.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:30 PM
~pi

Steph, I'm so, so glad to read your update. You and your dad continue to be in my thoughts.

lifeguard, oh, how horrible. I'm sorry about your neighbours' dog.

dollyanna, such cute socks! I love the rainbow ones. We had a pair of rainbow babylegs with DS1 but I don't know where they went, and I miss them when dressing DS2.

Rosemary, I hope your party went well and, whenever it happens, that your DS' announcement is well-received.

We were out at DH's work party tonight, and it was lovely. I used to work with some of the people who are now his colleagues, so it was great to catch up.

I came home to some good news. I have a job waiting for me next fall but, a few weeks ago, also applied for a position nearer to home because it sounded like a potentially very good fit and is more in line with my long term career goals. I came home to an email that I made the short list and they would like to interview me. :-) Also, an article of mine was published today, ahead of schedule. And, most important to my immediate life, we have clean laundry and a Christmas tree. All in all, quite a good day. If I can find some time to clean in the next few days, we will really be sitting pretty.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:

afm: still not really sleeping at night & I am soooooo ready to move on from this stage. Last night was good but I fear she is once again toying with my hope.

I was just saying this a week or two ago. It seems like it will never end and you're afraid to get excited when they do it once.  I was surprised at how suddenly it can happen. My DD went from waking every 3 hours max to sleeping through the night over night, literally. One day she just did it and has done it since. I'm sure there will be a few bumps in the road eventually, but I'm starting to think it's going to stick and I'm so glad. Getting good sleep makes an enormous difference. I feel like a new person.

It seemed like the sleeping came at the same time as other developmental changes. She started to seem much more aware, alert, and happy, and started pooping less so maybe her little system is getting mature and she gets more nutrition or something.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Pi, wow, great birthday. Congratulations on the job interview, the article, the laundry and the tree.

Steph, so glad about your Christmas miracle.

Dollyanna, I hope your dd's weight is good and you can take comfort.

Livacreature, I missed it: how long will she be in the harness? The babylegs are a great idea. Hugs.

Lifeguard, the dog--sadness. And yes, I'd worry about my kids, too. People are so thoughtless sometimes.

Party: went well! Iona was a champ. I made good but simple food and everyone had a nice time. My dh got an early christmas present of a new receiver for his record player/stereo system, so we listened to records for the first time in a year. That made me able to hear the real difference between sound from a computer and sound from an analog species. Pretty different and real sounding. Now it is packing/organizing time here so we can leave reasonably on time for NH Christmas.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

steph ... Go glad to hear that your dad is on the upside of things!  I'm still sending you prayerful thoughts for his healing. 

pi ... happy birthday!  Congrats on your job and paper!  You must feel fantastic about it all. 

lifeguard ... so sad about the dog.   The dog's family must be devastated.  We lived on a country road as a kid and lots of people sped on it for joyriding.  I had four cats get killed by car, and three of them I found at the side of the road.  One though ... she was brought to the front door by a young man in motorcycle gear.  He was crying, and hadn't hit her, but had seen the car ahead of him hit her.  He didn't want to leave her in the road, so he brought her to us.  I've always thought he was lovely for doing so. 

liveacreature ... I'm glad that you caught her hips early.  Can you post a picture of her in her harness?  I'm trying to picture it  ...

rosemary ... Great that the party was a success!

katico ... great photo!  Let's see some more! Here are a couple of babywearing ones from recently. In the snowshoe one I'm wearing my new-to-me Suses kindercoat, but it's way too big.  I'm going to have to sell it and find one in a smaller size.  Bummer.  Love it! 

DSC_0007.JPGDSC_0010.JPG

photo.JPG

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 12-21-2011, 12:02 PM

pi - what a great update!

starling - love the pics - newborn on the back is soooo sweet, wish I was brave enough.

afm - ds is having a day. I'm thinking I need to find some better, easy snacks for him 'cause I think sometimes it is because he's hungry but we rarely have anything healthy that I can just grab & give him, everything requires prep.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:12 PM

Happy Solstice Everyone!!!

I totally messed this one up. We have a solstice celebration planned for tomorrow night. Oops.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:21 PM

Waaaiiit....ISN'T it tomorrow??

ETA: ok, now I see - technically it is tomorrow am even though it is "tonight"....except for us here in the maritimes it IS tonight.....geez. I looked up and glanced at the date a few weeks ago and forgot to think about it again!

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

Old 12-21-2011, 02:58 PM

So, DD is in fact gaining weight very slowly.  In lbs, her # is fine (50-something%) but she's very tall so her weight-for-height is falling off the bottom of the chart greensad.gif  We have to do a weight check in another 2 weeks & see how things are going. The Dr. thinks it could possibly be reflux making her not eat much at a time & not quite getting enough to eat total for a healthy gain.  I don't know.  She definitely doesn't eat much at once & she does spit up when she eats more than usual, but she's generally so calm that I didn't really suspect reflux.  But not sure what else it would be.

Who would have thought this girl who was almost 10lbs at birth would have weight gain issues!

Oh, man. I forgot how inconsolable babies can get after shots. Heartwrenching! I googled & ended up giving her some tylenol. She had a nap in the mei tai & she seems in much better spirits.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:27 PM

bia (babe in arms)

DD is snoozing and drooling on me...my sleeve, i just noticed, is totally soaked.  got her tongue tie snipped this afternoon.  hopefully it will make a difference.  i'm sure she'll totaaly love me going into her mouth 2-3 times a day to "stretch" her tongue so the tie doesn't reattach eyesroll.gif.

cbia (crying bia)...no time for personals...

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

Old 12-21-2011, 04:20 PM

DS had an appt today too--he's huge. 14.5 lbs at 2 months old! That's a gain of 6 lbs since birth. No wonder he's so heavy. He also got 3 shots. The nurse is an old friend of mine, and she did those 3 shots faster than I've seen some people do a single one. DS still freaked out but it was so much better than it could have been. Then he slept for a couple hours. He's nursing now and i have some baby tylenol on hand just in  case.

Mom to Eli babyboy.gif 10/18/11 and loving wife to Derrin. heartbeat.gif 

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

Old 12-22-2011, 08:24 AM

BIA

Rosemary: I hate when someone leaves  their smell/perfume on my baby!!  When DD1 was born, MIL was hyper concerned about germs and when she came to visit she smeared herself all up with this hideous raspberry scented hand sanitizer and them glommed all over my baby.  Ugh, she was 2 days old and her smell was lost under that nastiness - I was soooooo (hormonally) angry!

Piano: yeah....everytime I looked at the piano I would think of my windows that needed to be done lol.gif

doctors dismissing baby's pain:  yep, unless  it's "serious" they do tend to do this!  Claire was constipated for awhile and having a really hard time/a bit of blood etc  and my doctor (who I love) was like "m'eh...some babies just have trouble and it hurts for them"  greensad.gif  Thankfully, it seems to have resolved itself.  

gifts:  I love everyone's lists, some really cool ideas, and nice to see I'm not the only one wanting it all to be simple and meaningful!    Rosemary - World peace? awesome!  Is he getting the saw he asked for?  not_telling:  some minerals is a great idea - DD1 would love that, I will have to remember that!

Steph:I have been thinking of you, glad to hear things look a little brighter for your dad hug2.gif

pi: what a great bunch of good news!!!  esp the laundry and tree winky.gif

starling: your pictures are so great!!  how awesome to take both babes snowshoeing! 

afm:   uhh, it's 2days to xmas....

we drive around the province to both sides if the family, blargh, I REALLY want to stay home...it's so much work and i would rather do our own thing at home.  but whatever, some day soon....at least the weather should be ok for driving this year

we all have a cold.  Claire has a cough, I feel so bad for her.

everything is done except their xmas dresses.  I have one set sewn, still have to sew one more each...I am TOTALLY dressing them in matching dresses this year...I'm that mother

also have the crazy idea that I will get C's stocking sewn/embroidered .......biglaugh.gifyeah....unlikely

our entertaining is done at least.  we had our little friends over for a secret santa 2 days ago and then last night all my high school friends were over.  I love to host and entertain but it definitely is a lot of work...probably b/c i am a perfectionist and insist on doing too much from scratch.  I never relax and really enjoy until the day of xmas, when everything is done and made and finished

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

Old 12-22-2011, 09:31 AM

I've been baking up a storm. Got baklava in the oven now. I made peppermint bark and chocolate turtles yesterday. Bagels tomorrow. Mom flues in tonight, my brother is taking the bus in tomorrow. Our best friend and his parents are coming for new years with their dogs. And work. But babe now naps and has had two ten hour nights in a row.

Pi: congrats on the job and glad your birthday went well.

Starling: looks fun! I will post harness pics tomorrow.

People stinking up babe: annoying for sure

Old 12-22-2011, 11:58 AM

Sewing with a toddler is killing my christmas spirit.

wtf am I doing?  I am insane.  

Old 12-22-2011, 02:51 PM
~pi

Katico, projects with toddlers only work if you don't care how they come out. Hugs.

starling, I am so jealous that you have snow. Thank goodness we will be spending part of the break at MIL's place up north. They have snow.

livacreature, I have no idea how you do so many things at once. Aren't you working full time, too?

dollyanna and not_telling, I hope your babes are in better spirits now.

Trinket, woo-hoo, big babe!

Rosemary, sounds like a lovely party.

lifeguard, can you have pre-prepped snacks ready to go? DH prepares a bunch of vegetable sticks every day or two and stores them in a container in the fridge. Makes it super easy to put out veg snacks. One of DS1's most often request after school snacks (after candy eyesroll.gif) is celery with peanut butter and raisins (ants on a log.)

Steph, still thinking of you and your family in Michigan.

AFM, I had a physio appointment today and have finally healed enough to be able to start back on exercise that is not gentle walking. I am So. Flipping. Excited.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:19 PM

Weather: I'm wearing my freaking birkenstock sandles today.  It is so warm.  Yesterday the heat was busted in my office, the thermostat read 88.  I almost died.  So happy we could turn it off.

Pi: Yep, I'm working full time.  I'm a bit hyperactive, I'm sure that helps!  lol  I'm only in the office about 24 hours a week right now, so it isn't as bad as it sounds.  And kid sleeps.  If kid didn't sleep, I would be screwed.

Katico: I've tried sewing with little kids.  It takes the patience of a saint.  Kudos, mama.  Kudos.

AFM: My mom's flight is delayed.  She is landing at the same time tomorrow as our ortho appointment, so we need to figure out what exactly to do there.  Thinking I will have her bus into the city from the airport and pick her up from there to go do whatever it is we have planned.  I hate air travel.  I really do.  But that means I don't have to wait up until midnight to pick her up, so I'm not too upset!  I have tomorrow-next Tuesday off, so excited.  DH is off until the 3rd, and he has agreed to cover night shifts while on break.  WOOHOO! 

Old 12-22-2011, 03:32 PM

Happy Birthday Pi!  Sounds like a great celebration!

Livacreature & Katico, both of you are crafting inspirations.  Rosemary, I put you in that category as well. 

Starling- I love the pictures too!

We went to the pedi today and Palesa weighs 9lbs 10 oz.  I thought that was pretty small, but she's consistently in the 25% for weight, and 70% for height.  We didn't do any vax yet- not quite sure what we'll eventually do, but wasn't ready yet.  Plus, I won't be going back to work (woo hoo), which means she won't be in daycare, and she's exclusively breastfed.  Do any of you Northern mammas supplement Vitamin D?  For either you or baby?  Pedi recommended it.

Tomorrow, DH's parents and brother come for Christmas. Luckily, we have something small for everyone but eachother.  Baby doesn't need anything.  I can't justify spending a lot on gifts when we're about to move cross country without DH having a job yet!  But we are planning a really special time with the family, and we're all really excited.  

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
Old 12-22-2011, 03:55 PM

Amy May: I was wondering about the vitamin D too.  Our pedi recommended it, I've given it to her a few times, she doesn't seem to care for it.  It get the point, kind of, but I had never heard of babies needing it until our two month appointment.  They told me that vitamin D doesn't transfer into breastmilk, but I'm not sure if that is the case.  I keep meaning to look into it, but alas, I'm more consumed with cuddles, work, and baking.  Ped did say she feels it is only necessary during the winter when we're cooped up inside.  BTDTs?

Old 12-22-2011, 04:56 PM
~pi

bia

we supp with vit d for both babe and me. it does transfer through breastmilk but mom has to take a whackload to make a difference in infant levels. i take fish oil regularly, we give d-vi-sol drops semi-regularly, and i also expose our faces every day. we're usually out for 1-2 hours a day, but we're pretty bundled these days and it's pretty grey out, so i don't think the outdoor time is doing much.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:06 PM

Just real quick - I do supplement both myself and baby with vitamin D now.  With previous babies, I had heard of this advice, but scoffed at it.  However, I did enough reading during pregnancy on Vitamin D benefits (and how the vast majority of us don't have nearly enough) that I happily give it to my whole family.  Though, honestly, I am pretty irregular about giving it to Malcolm, because I've never made a good routine of it.  Here is some good reading at KellyMom.

Malcolm is 12 weeks old today!  We got a whole bunch of snow overnight.  And my kids are off from school this whole week, next week, and don't go back until the 4th of Jan.  And DH is still working his 12-hour days (plus 1hr commute, longer with bad weather) 3-4 days a week.  Today was the longest day eeeeever.  I feel like such a horrible mom.  But there was no way I was digging my car out just to get out of the house (and go where??).  I can't wait for school to start again.  Isn't that horrible?

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

Old 12-22-2011, 07:06 PM

vitamin d - I didn't with ds at all but we were in Costa Rica when he was small. We generally believe in supplementing vit d for all of us so I am with dd. I'm Ddrops which only require one little drop on my nipple just before bfing - she doesn't seem to even notice.

projects with toddlers - oh my, it takes every ounce of my patience to do my own projects with ds' involvement. It always seems that even if I try to give him something similar to do he wants to be right in the middle of whatever I am doing. Very frustrating.

weather - soooo weird this year. It's been reallllly mild so far this winter. Yesterday was freezing rain (so not very cold but very treacherous), today was just about freezing & foggy, overnight it's supposed to drop to 20 below (celsius). No snow on the ground.

Well, today we put a lot of work into getting ready for our solstice celebration. Being winter we thought there was a decent chance people would end up in the house so we got it all cleaned & ready for company but as it turned out we had an absolutely beautiful, mild evening & we stayed outside the whole time except for a couple of runs in to the bathroom. But now my house is all clean & ready for Christmas - wonder if we can keep it that way for 2 days?!

Our solstice celebration (our first ever!) turned out really nice. Dh made up a big lamb stew, we set up a table outside with the food, a bunch of drinks & whatnot. Yesterday ds & I decorated a yule log (we just pulled a log from our woodpile) with some cotton ribbon, evergreen twigs & sparklers (this was very exciting when we were burning it) & then we put out paper & markers for everyone to write a wish for the new year on & tuck into the ribbon. We got a big, roaring fire going & then put in the log along with one of those "mystic fire" packets. Pretty low key but nice. I've always wanted to celebrate solstice & I think this will end up being a nice tradition for us. I'm sure it will grow with time.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:10 PM

lifeguard- that sounds like such a nice celebration and it will be a wonderful tradition.

vitD- we don't supplement and I don't see any reason to considering we live in New Mexico and there is something like 350 days of sunshine a year.

My baby girl is so grouchy! Her tooth is finely cutting through and it is really bothering her, she is mouthing everything. I can't believe it is actually a tooth but it is definately peeking through.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Old 12-22-2011, 08:47 PM

Lifeguard, that sounds like perfection!  I've always wanted to celebrate solstice too and when the kids are old enough to understand, I would love to do something similar!

Sewing is done.  gifts are done.  House is clean-ish but we're not going to be here so it doesn't matter if it's perfect.  Need to do some laundry and packing tomorrow but I am declaring it DONE!

Vent:  I'm sure most of you have read about that horrible death of a newborn that has been linked to formula contamination.  Well, my FB has been ablaze with ladies linking the story.  Unfortunately, most have done so with rather smug "Look!  See?  Breast is best!" commentary.  Blargh.   It just seems so insensitive to me, Those poor parents, to take their story and use it to simultaneously tsk-tsk about parents who FF and pat yourself on the back for BF'ing....it just rubs me very wrong.  But then, I may be overly sensitive after the rudeness I've encountered after not being about to BF.  

User Tag List