Chat Thread 12/4-12/10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 246 Old 12-04-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New chat thread!

Landon had his 1 month Dr appointment on Friday. He is now 8 lbs 3 oz. At 2 weeks he was 7 lbs 13 oz. Dr is fine with it. I was a little worried about his weight, since he is still so skinny. He also grew almost an inch and a half! I have a tall skinny boy. He is almost 23 inches long. For his weight he is in the 15th percentile, and 90th for height.

Breastfeeding is going okay. He is still having some formula, but only 2-4 oz a day.

Dp and I are really having a hard time. He is nervous about everything and questions everything I do, which bothers me. The second Landon makes a noise he is freaking out. It drives me crazy! I'm having a hard time with being "on" for 2/3rds of the day, everyday. Landon still isn't sleeping very much at all during the day. He is up around 6 and not usually in bed till 9 or 10 at night. Such a long day with someone who fights going to sleep like crazy, and doesn't really sleep during the day. It doesn't help that he isn't happy being awake and just hanging out. He also doesn't like being in the beco, should I just keep trying it until he accepts it?

We put up our Christmas tree on Friday. I just love Christmas!

I'm back to work. It's tough! Hope it gets easier.

Chelsea, loving mama to Landon, born 11/3

#2 of 246 Old 12-04-2011, 11:16 AM

Chelsea:  Girl, I think of you anytime I`m feeling overwhelmed - I think you`re amazing, going back to work!!  A friend of mine took on a childcare job when her little one was almost a year old - she went to the home of a family every day and took care of their 4 kids, aged 1-6, shuttling two of them  back and forth to school and daycare and staying home the rest of the day with her baby and the two youngest kids.  Super tough but she definitely got in a groove after awhile and really enjoyed the bond her little boy had with the other kids. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_telling 

Gifts - I'm feeling a bit perlexed about gifts right now, but mostly about what to get people whose birthdays are coming up.  My aunt (the one whose partner passed away in Sept) is turning 65.  My BIL's birthday is also coming up, though he has told us that birthdays are not a big deal in India.  Also need to get a Hanukkah gift for my 9 year old cousin that I don't know really well, but who will be up here from Miami for the holidays (and always "gets" - via her grandmother, my aunt - something for DS every year).  My go-to's are always books and art supplies, although that's what my parents usually get her for birthdays and Hanukkah.  What's a great gift for a 9 year old these days? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post

Leihas- a perfect gift for a 9 yr  (actually about 3-12) old girl is a play silk kit: order a silk or 2 from Thai silks, put in a small bottle of vinegar and a few gallon zip locs, several packets of coolaid, and these instructions. If she likes crafts this will be perfect but nothing like what she will be receiving or has received from anyone else. Depending on what silks and how many you order you can do the entire thing for $10-$15 which is pretty reasonable for such a thoughtful gift.

That`s an awesome idea!  I agree that the best sort of gift is some sort of DIY craft - beading, tie-dye, tshirt transfers, something like that!

Dollyanna:   I would definitely use the expired applesauce.  Also, I think they should ship just fine if you make sure they`re dry.  I have some left over from a batch I made years ago and they have kept really well!  I think we'll try making some too...and then glitter it up big time.  DD will be thrilled.

AFM:  Dudes!  I just went shopping.  All my pre-preg clothes were too big!  (This really is never a problem I`ve had before, haha!)  I went and tried on everything and I have gone down a whole pants size and down 2 sizes in tops!  AWESOME!  And I had some coupons and there were sales so I saved almost $250 on a giant bag of clothes.  I got bras and jeans and holiday dressy things...all the hardest things to find, I got tonnes of things!  

AND I DID IT WITH NO CHILDREN IN TOW!  I left them both home with Daddy.  Freedom.  It was amazing.  

baby acne has hit big time here.  Poor little girl. has anyone had any luck clearing it up a bit with BM?  I still have a little I can express

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#3 of 246 Old 12-04-2011, 12:01 PM

Also, has anyone  else had this ad pop up on the side?  It made me laugh out loud....then made me tsk tsk.   Fail, Mothering.  Fail.

ripped.png

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#4 of 246 Old 12-04-2011, 12:22 PM

Aaand, also (sleeping kids thumb.gif )

Constipation in formula fed babies (ah, the guilt never ends)  .....experiences?  cures?  I'm wondering if switching brands would help or if she's just going to be prone to it in general?  Sigh.

#5 of 246 Old 12-04-2011, 01:25 PM
~pi

Chelsea, bow.gif

play silks: Another vote for these. Not just for girls, either. DS1 loves them as superhero capes.

Katico, lol. (FYI, if you install an adblock plugin, you won't see them.) And hooray, clothes!

AFM, I left the babe with DH for five hours last night and he did great. I managed to pump about 3oz a day all week, but he only took one bottle while I was gone, anyway. I took DS1 and my dad to a musical, and it was a big hit. Though clearly we ought to have had more, "appropriate behaviour at the theatre," discussions. I had to tell DS1 multiple times that we don't cheer for the characters. You can clap at the end of each number, but shouting out, "Go, [character name]!" in the middle of a scene is, uh, disruptive.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#6 of 246 Old 12-04-2011, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Katico- yay!!!!! for new smaller clothes!!

Pi- yay!!!!! for getting out with ds1 for a few hours!

AFM- I'm having a hard time with dp. Lately whenever I say how tired or drained I am his response is, "this is what you wanted." Which makes me so mad or something. I don't know what to say to him. We have been arguing a lot greensad.gif Backstory- he wanted me to get an abortion when I found out I was pregnant, I told him no-way, I just couldn't do that. I believe that babies are a blessing and I wouldn't be having an abortion. It took him months to finally come around. I just hate being annoyed with dp, and it's been happening a lot.
I am jealous of those of you who can leave your baby with your dh. I think it will be a year before I can do that. Plus with not having family around here I feel like it will be a very long time before I am going anywhere without Landon.
We are having some serious baby acne over here. His face looks terrible. I don't know what to do for it, if anything. Hope it goes away soon.

Chelsea, loving mama to Landon, born 11/3

#7 of 246 Old 12-04-2011, 06:18 PM
~pi

Chelsea, hugs. "This is what you wanted" = not cool. Whether it was optional or not, it's exhausting work, especially when you are doing it without strong support.

#8 of 246 Old 12-04-2011, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Beth, we used to put some Karo syrup in DS1's bottles when he was constipated. I think it was the dark kind. Maybe a teaspoon or so in a bottle? It usually made him go pronto.

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

#9 of 246 Old 12-04-2011, 07:02 PM

chelsea- I have been a nanny for years (I am not currently doing it) and it can definately be challenging. You will get in a groove and it will get easier just hang in there. I was nannying 2 girls when ds1 was born, I went back to work at 5 days! It was hard but since I got to bring ds with me I didn't care. I would definately recommend just wearing the becco until he gets it. As he gets bigger it will be a better fit and he will most likely like it better. I am a fan of having several different carriers around that way if they are unahppy in one i switch.

katico- yeah on the shopping spree. I am no where near pg weight and still look about 4 months pg. I haven't had this problem before so had to get a few pairs of fat pants. i might have to go get a few more as I thought I would be out of them by now:(.

pi- as far as the play silks I didn't mean to infer that boys wouldn't like them. My boys LOVE them but they really didn't enjoy making them that much, they just like playing with them. A 9 yr old girl is perfect for the entire process. My 3 yr old dd would love to do this (but like I said her brothers, not so much) they just want the finished product and they want it NOW, hmmff Men! lol

AFM- just got back from my SHARE christmas party. It was fun and the Santa was so authentic. It is amazing, he was the real deal!!! Even let the kids pull on his beard. We don't do the traditional santa thing around here and my kids had fun AND didn't blow it for anyone, hooray! I even got a pic with all 5 of them in it. We don't post pics on public forums so I can't share :( BUT I think I got at least 1 photo where they are all in it, no one is covering/hurting anyone else, no one is crying and there eyes are all open. Not all looking at the camera and not smiling but we will take what we can get.

Snow is in the forcast tomorrow not sure If I want a snow day or not though, hmmm.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#10 of 246 Old 12-04-2011, 07:21 PM

chelsea - Keep trying the beco but I would also try other carriers if you can - we love the ring sling. Sorry your dp is being so uncool - sigh.

katico - send the smaller clothes vibe over here!!!

theboysmama - the party sounds great.

afm - dd is not sleeping at night - I know this is temporary but it's awful. Today I brought dd & ds grocery shopping with me. I made a pictorial list for ds & it was a huuuuge hit. He loved crossing things off the list & looking for the next item - best he's been in the store in ages. Dd on the other hand was miserable & got to crying so hard in line two ladies came over & unloaded my cart for me!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#11 of 246 Old 12-04-2011, 07:44 PM

Chelsea - Sorry dp is not being supportive. 

Pi - sounds like fun!

Beth - Yay for smaller clothes! 

My Ped recommended adding a tiny bit of apple or prune juice to the formula to help with constipation.

AFM - I caught DD's cold.  Ugh.

#12 of 246 Old 12-04-2011, 08:57 PM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post

pi- as far as the play silks I didn't mean to infer that boys wouldn't like them. My boys LOVE them but they really didn't enjoy making them that much, they just like playing with them. A 9 yr old girl is perfect for the entire process. My 3 yr old dd would love to do this (but like I said her brothers, not so much) they just want the finished product and they want it NOW, hmmff Men! lol

Must be an individual thing. DS1 has made them with me and was really into it. Anyway, I agree it's a great idea for a 9 year old!

#13 of 246 Old 12-04-2011, 09:24 PM

Love the silk dying kit idea!  I actually have several silks I bought years ago and never dyed, so HELLO practically free gift!!  I wonder if I should give a kit to my 6 and 3.5yo DS's. I can see at least my 6yo enjoying it, at least. 

Also a teeny bit jealous of mamas leaving their babies home. I'd totally trust DH with Mal, but I don't have a pump or any bottles, so baby goes everywhere with me. Same story with my last baby... But back then I wasn't quite so eager for kid-free time. I'd love to go clothes shopping alone. Better yet, I'd love to have a reason to-- I dropped a lot of weight initially PP (from 228 to 202 by 8 weeks, no exercise), but Thanksgiving made me gain a pound. I'm not getting my hopes up until after Christmas, lol. I keep finding yummy treat recipes, and I HAVE to try them, right??

I posted yesterday (I think? weekends blend together too easily!) that we all have yucky colds except for Malcolm. Well, scratch that, I spoke too soon. He started getting bad enough congestion in the afternoon that he keeps gagging and choking on mucous if he's not elevated quite a bit. We both slept poorly last night. And as of this evening, he's developed a low grade fever. Not entirely surprising, as DD got a fever and she's been my #1 helper with Mal. He's acting fairly normal still, just a touch sleepier. I may run him to the doctor tomorrow if the fever goes over 100... But I waver on that, since we're getting more snow and temps won't even hit the teens tomorrow. Yucky weather for taking out a sick baby. 

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#14 of 246 Old 12-05-2011, 06:33 AM

Silks - Totally cool idea....(DS loves playing with them, too).  That said, I ended up getting this young cousin a beeswax candle rolling kit.  I hope she'll be into it.

Chelsea - Also sorry about annoying DP...

Leiahs - Sick baby...greensad.gif...here's to a speedy recovery.

Leaving baby to go shopping (or whatever) -  At this point, even though DD is exclusively BF and I don't pump, I'm comfortable leaving her with DH for 2-3 hours so I can do "mommy things" (so far, just going out to eat with friends).  During the morning/day is most ideal, in terms of her eating schedule cuz she nurses more in the evening, but she has survived! orngtongue.gif

Baby sleep - Keep waiting for the horrible overnight sleeper to appear.  Last night she slept from about 11pm-6am.  She's certainly had her share of nighttime and early morning fussies...even marathon fussies...but these longish sleep stretches are feeling pretty regular. 

AFM -  The children's hospital called this morning to offer us an appt with pulmonology at 2:30 this afternoon.  This last minute type of scheduling is a little frustrating, but fortunately we were able to make it work...which is good cuz on Friday my parents are leaving for Key West for about 10 days and they're the go-to sitters for DS...so last minute appts while they were gone would be really hard.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#15 of 246 Old 12-05-2011, 07:24 AM

Chelsea sorry your DP is being unsupportive.  That totally sucks. 

I am sorry everyone is so sick!  It definatly is that time of year.  I was sick for the first 2 weeks PP then DS was sick and then DP.  I was bummed about DS being sick but it was even worse when DP was sick!  He didn't help me at all with DS and took 4 days off of work.  I am SO glad he is back to work today. Well I don't mind doing the extra work with DS it makes me resentful when DP is hanging around playing video games and such while I am struggling with DS and can't get 5 min to myself to go to the bathroom or get a drink of water.

PP weight-  I have no idea how much I weigh.  I didn't prepregnancy and I don't now and I'd love to keep it that way.  I go more on how I feel and how my clothes fit.  Most of my prepreg pants were loose on me before I got pregnant because I got into shape beforehand and now they are still loose so it's kind of hard to tell.  I know this much I am so sick of just sitting around doing nothing.  I am not actually doing nothing, I am nursing but I feel like all I do is sit around.  Hopefully I can get back to the swing of things soon.  Have any of you tried doing yoga with your baby?  I am looking for some interactive semiphysical things I can do with DS.  There is a class being offered at a studio for newborn-2yo mommy and me yoga.  I might try it out or get a dvd maybe?  Maybe I should look on netflix too. Reccomendations?

I am jealous of all of you being able to leave your babies too!  I am waiting for my parts to come for my pump so I can start pumping to build up a stash so I can go back to work in Jan.  My friend from way back is coming to town tomorrow and his band is playing (who I LOVE) and I am pretty bent that I can't go.  They only tour around here once a year or so.  I think I am going to meet him with DS for coffee or something but I am so bummed to miss his band play.  On that note it seemed like in Sept-Oct when I was looking for shows to go to noone was playing at all and now everone is getting back into the swing of things and playing tons of shows again.  That is the one thing I did on a weekly basis that I am sad I can't really do anymore.  I guess once I start pumping I can but I think I would only be comfortable leaving him with DP so that means I would be going alone or with friends.

I went to an AP meeting last night and it was pretty cool.  there was just the host and one other mama with a 7mo there but I had a good time talking about baby stuff I was interested in like ASL and babywearing and breastfeeding.  I tried on a mei tai and loved it but unfortunatly DS hated it.  He was actually really good the whole time and we were there for 2 hours.  He was awake and alert the whole time.  When we first got there I took him out of his seat and had to chage his diaper so I put him on his little changing mat thinggy and then when I was done he was happy laying there so I just let him.  The 7mo was on the floor next to him and DS was staring at him then cooing and looked like he wanted to play with him.  It was so cute.  He even scooted himself closer (very slowly using his legs) to the baby.  He scooted himself all the way off of the mat and onto the rug the other baby was laying on.  I am so impressed!  He isn't even 4 weeks old yet.

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#16 of 246 Old 12-05-2011, 08:35 AM

Weight: I'm right at prepregnancy weight, and can fit into my pants, but they don't fit the same way and aren't as comfortable.  I went out and splurged on two new pairs of jeans.  I had to go from a 4 to an 8 to get the fit that was comfy.  However, for the first time I can remember, I didn't have the negative self talk while trying on pants.  I am actually feeling pretty good on the body image front, which is a big deal for me.  

Pumping: I can't get more than  two ounces when I pump.  It doesn't matter if it is right after feeding or right before, or when I wake up in the morning and haven't nursed for hours.  I know she typically gets enough when actually nursing, she acts satisfied.  I'm starting work again next Sunday and hardly have any supply stashed.  We've done some formula supplementing, and I guess that will just have to continue.  I don't like it, but kid needs to eat something when I'm gone.

Food: I was wondering if having "cravings" while nursing is normal.  I'm a big advocate of my body knowing what it needs and listening to that with my food choices, but it seems like all I want is whole fat dairy and meat.  Carbs are not appealing, veggies and fruits and neutral, I eat them because I know I should.  I'm not a big meat person, but it is what I want.  

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#17 of 246 Old 12-05-2011, 10:50 AM

ugg snow day today. There is like a dusting. This is rediculous. The house is trashed. I wanted to do an activity with the kids but it just isn't working out. I don't know how mamas homeschool multiple kiddos.

pumping- I don't and I don't leave my baby either BUT I am really ok with that. They are only little for a little while. I have so many kids that having just the baby is a big break. Dh will probably keep her for about an hour while I get my hair cut but I haven't felt like leaving her yet. I have never done bottles as my first few kiddos wouldn't take them and it was so stressful.

cravings- those sound normail to me livacreature. I crave sugar but it is bcs of my constant yeast so I have to be careful with my cravings to make sure that it was what I need not what the yeast needs, lol

not_telling- good luck at your appt.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#18 of 246 Old 12-05-2011, 11:06 AM

I've left Palesa for stretches of 40 minutes or so to go running, but since we are spending a month in Colorado with family, everyone is more than happy to hold her.  We introduced a bottle a week ago, which Daddy or Grandma gives to her. Only about 2 ounces on most days.  I've been pumping, but the extra is going to my mother who is going through chemo (and is having no side effects... she's taking it REALLY well, and her white blood cell count is very high, which means that the BM is doing what it is supposed to do!).  I'm sooooo grateful to have an abundant supply, so I feel really good giving away 2-3 ounces a day and knowing Palesa is getting PLENTY of milk for herself.

We've had a busy weekend.  My grandpa was visiting from Pittsburgh, which was nice.  Saturday we went to a memorial for high school friends of mine who's 16 month baby girl died suddenly of this super rare metabolic disorder called Alpers Syndrome.  She started having seizures one day and died 2 weeks later.  Very heartbreaking.

I've been so awful about posting, but have been reading along!

I'm still 10 lbs over pre-pregnancy weight.  I used to be pretty muscular (especially my abs, which now look very doughy).  I've started exercising though, but I think I just need to continue eating well and be patient.  I enjoy that my boobs are so much bigger, but it means that none of my clothes fit right.  I can wear the two pre-pregnancy jeans I brought with me to Colorado, but there is much more muffin-top action going on.  And, since my boobs are bigger, my tops all fall too short, which means that my belly is always at risk of hanging out.

Hope everyone battling winter colds feels better soon!

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#19 of 246 Old 12-05-2011, 01:03 PM

We're still alive up here, I just suck at staying active on here. I used to post while pumping, and now that I'm not, I'm slacking.

I can't seem to leave Corbin with his dad for more than 2-3 hours without feeling guilty. Last night I tried to go shopping by myself and I felt like such a bad mom. I know I needed the "me" time though, but he's just so stinkin' cute!

Corbin is gaining weight like a madman. Hard to believe I am thisclose to having a 3 month old. He's hilariously entertaining to us - there's always something new going on. I think I'm going to introduce baby cereal soon. This kid is already a huge mooch for food. His dad has been letting him lick/taste/suck real food since day one, and now we have a little beggar on our hands. He loves sour stuff too, which blows my mind - doesn't even pucker!

I've got an awesome pic of him mooching dinner from his dad that I need to post in the pic thread. I need to go feed myself though first!

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

#20 of 246 Old 12-05-2011, 01:50 PM

Just a quick note to say that while Malcolm's still battling congestion, he's practically fever-free.  Checked him first thing this morning, after being swaddled tight and snuggling with me all night, and it was only 99.3. (By touch I would have said his temperature wasn't elevated at all - only the top of his head and neck felt more warm than normal to me- cheeks, hands, etc. were slightly chilly.)  I'm relieved - I've never had such a young baby get a fever before, and it really got me nervous!

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#21 of 246 Old 12-05-2011, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

hi!

yay katico! so much great news.

weight--7 lbs above pp, but feeling lie i look fine. 2 pairs of jeans fit without any significant muffin. i've been losing 1lb/wk

pumping--don't do bottles either so not much leaving. dh is gone about 12hrs/day anyhow.

iona and i are still on our elimination diet odyssey. seems to be a histamine connection to her troubles.

ack, this is worthless trying to type! anybody need a 3 year old?

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#22 of 246 Old 12-05-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

ack, this is worthless trying to type! anybody need a 3 year old?

Thanks but I have one of my own (almost, anyway)

DH  needs to come home so Mommy can retreat with a very stiff drink.

I am utterly toddler'd out today. Crazy, irrational, exasperating little terrorist!

And yet...so freaking cute at the same time.

Chelsea - ugh, sorry about your DP  When I say something about how tired or annoyed I am. my hubby sometimes will say "well, if you'd like, we can switch and you can go do my work."

a) thanks for totally discounting my frustration and fatigue

b) complaining about my day is not the same as complaining about my role

c) you wouldn't last 10 minutes with the toddler, newborn and household work.  they would eat you alive.  So don't imply you would love to switch roles and relax!

demon.gif

#23 of 246 Old 12-05-2011, 03:16 PM

We got the big thumb.gif from the pulmonologist today...yippee!  She says she sees this a lot, actually...newborns who breathe rapidly for the first few months and it resolves on its own.  She said Annika appeared "gloriously, perfectly healthy."  She said we should count resps one time while she's sleeping on Saturday and Sunday nights for the next 8 weeks and let the nurse know our numbers each week, and then we'll have a follow-up visit at 8 weeks.  PHEW!

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#24 of 246 Old 12-05-2011, 06:42 PM

not_telling- that is great news!!!

Rosemary- ha I have one of my own but YOU don't have a 9 yr old I think you could use one, I will send him right over. lol (actually he is a great kid and very helpful but a bit bossy and argumenative might be an understatement. lol)

Katico- Ha I say you take dh up on his offer. After we lost Emeric last year money had already been really tight but we wanted to get him a grave marker and the only way to do that was for me to go back to work (It worked out bcs basically what i made paid for a grave marker and the midwife and then a few extras like shoes and clothes for the kids without having ot worry about it). I was working four days a week and would leave the house at 7am and return between 6 and 7. He had to have dinner on the table (ended up doing take out about 1 day and would cook the other 3). He used to always say things like your dh. Then when he went on disability he wasn't working but wasn't really working here either. He is sooooo helpful now (most days) and would NEVER EVER offer to take my "job'. lol He soooo gets it now. The other day I told him i didn't want to dtd bcs I was feeling too touched out and he said i didn't used to get what you mean but when you were working I would get like that too, I understand. It was awesome. I think all dp's should have to take that role for a while, makes them much more appreciative of what we do. After I had been at work for about 3 months my dh said I always knew you did a lot but had no idea what that meant. He was only able to do about half of what I do when I am home but recognized that.

We are just getting the kids down now (it is on the early side) because I am soooo done. It was too cold to play outside, there was no snow to play in, and they were here all day!!! Pleasae pray that there is school tomorrow (at least pre-school) because i really need to get to the store and don't want to drag all the kids with me.

#25 of 246 Old 12-06-2011, 06:27 AM

I'm starting to have serious anxiety about leaving her on Sunday.  I know she'll be okay, her daddy is great with her, he hardly puts her down when he is at home from work.  He handles all afternoon and evening diaper changes, is the one who puts her to sleep at night.  We're on the same page about all-things-baby, but the fact is I will be away from her for seven hours and that makes me so sad.  I've only been away from her twice since she was born and that was for a thirty minute milk run and an hour lunch with a friend.  I'm so lucky that we have been able to negotiate our schedules to allow this, I think it is so important for her and DH to have one-on-one time, and it is important for me to do work I'm passionate about, but I'm not looking forward to the adjustment at ALL.

She has started to be such a happy baby in the morning.  She used to wake up fussy and need a lot of attention to keep from crying.  The past two mornings I've been woken to coos and smiles.  She needs to nurse a lot in the morning, but besides that she will play and want to cuddle.  She slept through her fussy evening time last night and went to sleep at normal time, it was a nice break.  I really love the newborn thing more than I thought I would.  She's so pleasant, even when she is unhappy I just adore holding her.  I was anticipating PPD because I have a pretty strong history of depression, but I have been on cloud 9.  I'm so glad I can enjoy her babyhood.

Not_Telling: WOo! for good pulmanologist appointment.  I'm glad she's okay.

Mad props to toddler moms.  I'm having a hard time being the dog enough attention.  

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#26 of 246 Old 12-06-2011, 07:01 AM

not_telling - yeah!!!

milk storage - I pump in the am when I feel at all engorged but with all the sleepless nights lately that hasn't been often. The past 2 mornings however I've been able to pump. I have a nice little stash in the freezer but I find myself not wanting us to use it 'cause dh goes to the milk before trying anything else to soothe her - it's crazy how fast he can go through it. And any milk I do get looks sooo thin it's no wonder she seems to need so much of it. I can generally pump 4oz at once but they can go through 6oz in a couple of hours.

mommy's weight - I finally just put my contract with the nutritionist on hold. My compliance was just so poor with all the sleepless nights. I've been averaging 4 hours most night's & I just cannot seem to stay on task for 20 hours in a day - I don't have the commitment I guess & it's crazy that in 10 minutes I can truly destroy the whole day - sigh. I am maintaining so that is a good thing. The past 2 nights dd has slept DURING the night!!! I feel like a different person & this morning my weight was down 2lbs - amazing what sleep can do! I don't know that my belly will ever not be awful to look at though - oh the loose skin! And I still have a lot of weight to lose.

Christmas - if little miss continues to sleep during the night we might actually celebrate this year! I managed to get the livingroom cleaned up last night & this morning I am going to vacuum & mop the main floor - yeah!! It's waaaaay overdue. I need to get everything clean before I break out the Christmas decorations 'cause I just couldn't face things becoming a bigger mess. I have one hour until we have to head out so we'll see what I can get done.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#27 of 246 Old 12-06-2011, 08:27 AM

Iona just gave me her first unquestionable smiles!

Lifeguard, so happy you got to sleep.

#28 of 246 Old 12-06-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_telling View Post

We got the big thumb.gif from the pulmonologist today...yippee!  She says she sees this a lot, actually...newborns who breathe rapidly for the first few months and it resolves on its own.  She said Annika appeared "gloriously, perfectly healthy."  She said we should count resps one time while she's sleeping on Saturday and Sunday nights for the next 8 weeks and let the nurse know our numbers each week, and then we'll have a follow-up visit at 8 weeks.  PHEW!

oh, what a relief.

#29 of 246 Old 12-06-2011, 09:33 AM

haha my DH definitely would rather go to work than be home with 3 kids and all the housework too, lol. Technically I work too... I'm a grad student... haven't been doing anything but plan to get back to it in the next few days, now that my little missy is approaching 6 weeks.

I haven't lost a pound since week 2. Kind of disheartening. Though I am trying to focus on the positive that I am not gaining weight. I walk 2-4 miles a day, every day, while babywearing, I eat a fairly careful diet, though far from perfect right now (but really pretty tight, compared to, say, most people). Oh and I am tandem nursing. Sigh. I am about 20lbs over my "goal" weight which is around what I was before I got pregnant- but I wasn't weighing myself at the time. Anyway, after we hit 6 weeks (Friday) I am going to go on a lower carb and more restricted diet and try to add some more exercise. Its so freaking hard for me to figure out when I can do that but I guess I will try to do 10-15 minutes of a workout DVD every night for the rest of the month and see if it makes a difference...

I haven't left the baby for more than short stretches. I have been pumping now and again when I feel engorged and feel like pumping. Baby has had 3 bottles so far. My aim is for her to have one a week or so.

Theboysmama, I'll trade you one 7yo for that 9yo... just kidding of course. My 7yo is also a great kid, a good big brother but I swear. He is more high maintenance than either the 2yo or the newborn! Whats up with that!? He has 3 weeks of vacation coming up and I am dreading it a little bit. Though, also hoping he gets into a more relaxed groove. He can be really great when he gets focused on stuff he is into. Hoping for good weather so we aren't cooped up together in our itty bitty apartment...

not telling: that is GREAT news.

Livacreature: so glad you are enjoying this PP time and newborn stage. Its so quick... but when its not going well, it sure can feel like its lasting forever and a half.

My girl is 6 weeks on Friday and she is SMILING more and more, Its so sweet. It literally brings tears to my eyes when she looks at me and gives a goofy grin. I know this is my last baby, and it really is magical when they start to wake up to the world.

dissertating mom to three

#30 of 246 Old 12-06-2011, 11:17 AM

FYI, brown paper + paint + cookie cutters as stamps = awesome toddler-made xmas wrapping paper 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page