Chat Thread: Dec 27th Jan 3rd - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 146 Old 12-30-2011, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

nuclear christmas ... Now is the time to set boundaries, mamas!  On Boxing Day, I gently told my mom that we are going to do Christmas with 'just us' next year.  No extra folks at all on Christmas Day.  Boxing Day can be an open house or something.  All hail bringing back the nuclear family Christmas!  Simple, calm and quiet-ish

Welcome back to everyone returning!

Melissa & Doug  ... I boycotted them years ago because of them advocating spanking, but now I can't find much online about it.  Will check later. 

Gotta go for now ... nursing, plus we have to get ourselves together to get out of the house to go to our homeschool preschool playgroup.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#32 of 146 Old 12-30-2011, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I feel like putting the toddler out on the front steps today.  The cat can join her.

Nothing is easy today.

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#33 of 146 Old 12-30-2011, 10:42 AM
~pi

Welcome back, beautifulmoon! It's wonderful to see you again!

lifeguard, hugs and soup to you. I hope you feel better very soon.

livacreature, hugs. I really, really know what you mean about wanting it both ways.

dollyanna, hugs to you, too. I get the same way with DS1 when I have too much time with him without a break. Your DD1 sounds pretty normal, I don't think it means you are doing anything wrong. Hang in there.

nicolian, I hope Calliope is back to good health soon!

Katico, I hope your toddler and cat both mellow out.

playsilks: We've done the dyeing with Koolaid a couple of times now. The one thing I will recommend is to keep the project small. Dyeing 6 for a Christmas gift was not such a big deal, even though I did different colours, but making 25 of them in 5 different colours for DS1's birthday last year (he wanted a superhero birthday, so all the guests got to decorate a cape and take it home) was a lot of work. Also, all the red Koolaids look roughly the same (sort of a dark pink) IMHO, so don't bother getting both cherry and strawberry. Oh, and the Koolaid that comes in a blue package? Is red. (Fruit punch or something like that. I was expecting blue and was disappointed.)

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#34 of 146 Old 12-30-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyanna View Post

Welcome.gifBACK to the DDC folks rejoining smile.gif

according to my 2yo, that is a "funny monster" saying m-m-m-m-m

and Dollyanna, its hard with the kids! Also hard when the routine is really different from usual. I find my oldest (7) can be super hard at times during vacation. Its frustrating b.c most of the time he's great- so I know he is capable.

dissertating mom to three

#35 of 146 Old 12-30-2011, 12:40 PM

Holding my still-fussy boy and typing at the same time... Welcome back, temporarily absent mamas

Liv, hugs to you... it must bite big time to miss your babe so much during the day. I hear you do get used to it, at least a little bit, eventually... Hugs!

Starling, I would KILL for a nuclear Christmas! Not happening any time soon, DH's mother and sister would throw a sh!t fit the likes of which have never been seen. 

Speedy healing vibes to all those who are suffering with sickies! (We are too, DH picked up C Difficile somewhere, eeww, DD1 has odd itchy spots that don't want to go away, Théoden has a cold and I have a raging double sinus infection, ouch!)

Love to everyone else! 

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#36 of 146 Old 12-30-2011, 02:17 PM

Thanks, guys.  It really isn't that bad, I am only working out of the house about 24 hours each week. I'm trying really hard to keep milk supply up, but it is really hard.  When I am home, something is attached to my boobs.  At work, I only can pump once or twice.  I'm still only getting an ounce or two with each pumping, and she downs five ounces from the bottle with feedings.  It is so discouraging.  I've started fenugreek and have blessed thistle coming in the mail.  I'm downing mother's milk tea like nobody's business.  I hate that I'm having to do this and still supplement with formula.  If it was covering her needs, great, but it still isn't.  She is also starting to prefer the bottle to the breast, I'm only getting her to latch when she is already calm.  She is up to eight pounds, though, which is exciting!  On an awesome note, DD has started trying to mimic sounds.  She won't always do it, but usually I can get an "ahhh" after I say it a few times and a heavy "h" sound after several "hi"s.  The rest of the time she grins and shrieks, which I love too.  She is also waving her hand some when I wave mine at her.  I was an early talker, around 6 months, I'm thinking she might be too if she keeps progressing.

I'm about to pull my hair out.  Some very dear friends will be here in two hours.  My friend is vegan.  Great, I can rock that, I was vegan for several years, though we now eat meat.  I planned some nice dal curry for tonight and a spicy fried eggplant and pasta for tomorrow.  No no.  His mom who is traveling with them is now not eating glutton and doesn't like anything spicy.  I already shopped.  I am all for accommodating my guests' diets, but could I get a heads up?  When asked two days ago, my friend said our food sounded perfect for them.  I'm going to run out and get somethings as soon as I'm done pumping so she has something to eat.  She also has multiple allergies to fruits....  

Windi:  Dudes, I'm trying it.  I don't want to give her anything for this gas and it seems like the perfect solution!  Brilliant!  Now if it just had something in it to make cool sounds with the air is released.  Like a kazoo.  

Baby toys: 

This first timer loves the suggestions!  Thanks, ladies!

Hoping everyone with winter yuck feels better soon!

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#37 of 146 Old 12-30-2011, 04:04 PM

In-law rant #1,000,002

DH was on the phone with them.  "Yeah, Aura's starting to coo back when we talk to her."  Long pause.  "No, of course she isn't talking, she's not even three months old....no,I don't think something might be wrong with her hearing.  She's too young to talk...even a little bit...yes, I'm sure."  They drop it after a few more minutes.  "No, she isn't sitting up yet.  She holds her head up and looks around.  She was rolling before they put her in the harness."  Pause.  "No.  Three month olds aren't usually sitting up or crawling.  No, she can't pull herself up.  She's three months old."  Another pause.  "No.  She is no where close to delayed right now."

"Yeah, she was 8lb, 3 oz at the pediatrician."  Pause.  "No, they don't think she is overweight."

WTF?

I'm so glad I see them maybe twice a year.  I'd have a criminal record otherwise.

#38 of 146 Old 12-30-2011, 06:20 PM

Livacreature, it's so annoying when people second guess how well the baby is doing, especially when they don't really know what's normal. It's not like parents need more reasons to worry.

Nosefrida -- I bought one of these on Amazon and then returned it because it didn't seem to work on DD at all, no matter how hard I sucked in air. I might have been doing it wrong, though it's a pretty simple contraption. It also had a strong plasticky smell. So I use saline drops and one of those blue bulbs. I'd never read anywhere about not using them. Are the bulb suckers considered harmful in some way?

Pi, thanks, and congrats on all the recent publication and other birthday presents.

Toys -- I'd never heard of playsilks until I came on this forum, and now I hear about them a lot. Will have to look into them. I'm finding that DD actually likes most of those things that I thought before I had her I would not use--like a bouncy seat (a lifesaver in those colicky early weeks), garish plastic toys, and tinny electronic lullabies. Oh well. 

Nuclear family Christmas -- we did this this year, and it was mellow and nice. I didn't have the wherewithal to think about traditions that we might be starting, but I did make a special Christmas lunch and sugar cookies the day before. So much better than trying to get together with extended family and pretending everything's alright.

Thanks for the warm welcome, all! I hope everyone who is sick gets better soon. Sorry if I missed someone.

DD hates tummy time. I'm not convinced that it's entirely necessary, but I guess she won't hit some developmental milestone if she doesn't do it. After awhile she just lays there crying with her faced planted in the mat.

#39 of 146 Old 12-30-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by livacreature View Post

In-law rant #1,000,002

DH was on the phone with them.  "Yeah, Aura's starting to coo back when we talk to her."  Long pause.  "No, of course she isn't talking, she's not even three months old....no,I don't think something might be wrong with her hearing.  She's too young to talk...even a little bit...yes, I'm sure."  They drop it after a few more minutes.  "No, she isn't sitting up yet.  She holds her head up and looks around.  She was rolling before they put her in the harness."  Pause.  "No.  Three month olds aren't usually sitting up or crawling.  No, she can't pull herself up.  She's three months old."  Another pause.  "No.  She is no where close to delayed right now."

"Yeah, she was 8lb, 3 oz at the pediatrician."  Pause.  "No, they don't think she is overweight."

WTF?

I'm so glad I see them maybe twice a year.  I'd have a criminal record otherwise.

Alright, annoying, I'm sure...but, from over here, downright hilarious. ROTFLMAO.gif

lifeguard - I really hope you are feeling better.  How miserable to be so illin'.

Windi - huh.  Very interesting...I wonder if it actually works. 

AFM - We had the first fire in the fireplace of the season...and the smoke detector went off after about a minute.  DH said, "Should I make a fire in the fireplace?"  I said, "Hmmm...I guess....as long as it doesn't get all smokey." (for my sake and the kids' sake).  DH says, "The firewood on the porch should be really dry.  There won't be any smoke."  So he and a very excited DS start bringing in and assembling the kindling and DH places a couple logs on, too (?).  He starts the fire and I snap a couple photos and then smoke just starts pouring into the living room.  The smoke alarm (right above sleeping DD) goes off.  We open the front and back doors, shut all the upstairs doors, turn on a big floor fan blowing out the front door, turn on the exhaust fan above the stove...  Lord, it was smokey.  And then we just let the fire go out.  DH thinks he put one too many log on the fire and it directed the smoke from the kindling out of the fireplace instead of out the flue.  Phew!

We've determined our NYE dinner menu.  Waffles.  With berry compote.  And breakfast sausage.  I also made ginger molasses cookies.  And our NYD dinner is gonna be lobster mac n' cheese, which is currently frozen, from a mail order company in Maine that wins awards for its frozen lobster-based meals.  Would've had it for NYE, but DH's friend who's been living in Japan is joining us and we only have two mac n' cheeses and neither one of us wants to share beyond what we have to share with DS.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#40 of 146 Old 12-30-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katico View Post

I feel like putting the toddler out on the front steps today.  The cat can join her.

Nothing is easy today.

oh I hear you! Days like that makes me realize why some animals eat their young.

Quote:

Windi:  Dudes, I'm trying it.  I don't want to give her anything for this gas and it seems like the perfect solution!  Brilliant!  Now if it just had something in it to make cool sounds with the air is released.  Like a kazoo.  

biglaugh.gif

Quote:

In-law rant #1,000,002

WTF?

Oh my eyesroll.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulmoon View Post

DD hates tummy time. I'm not convinced that it's entirely necessary, but I guess she won't hit some developmental milestone if she doesn't do it. After awhile she just lays there crying with her faced planted in the mat.

None of my kids have really liked it so what we do is lay them on their tummies on our tummies. This way they are looking straight at us, lifiting head, etc. Everything that tummy time does but they get eye contact as well (and I get to lay on the couch for a min. It is really important you know. lol)

AFM- I got both of my girls these and these for Christmas and they both wore them today when we went to the zoo. OMG they were so darn cute!!! After having 3 boys the only thing more fun than dressing a little girl is dressing 2 in cute awesome matching stuff (yes I am dorky like that). I also got a peekaru for Christmas (well not exactly, no one got me one so I ordered myself :)) and wore that at the zoo today for the first time. I LOVE it! There are some challenges (having to remove it and then remove dd from the carrier so she could pee then put her back in the carrier and put it back on was a pain as well as nursing dd but it was possible and I think nursing will just take some getting used to) but overall it was great. When dd was nursing in the peekaru it was hilarious as the only thing sticking out of the hole was the pink fuzzy thing on the top of her sock monkey hat, lol.

Something happened over the last couple of days and i have finally let my guard down and bonded with my baby joy.gif She is the sweetest most beautiful little thing and is just perfect. I am so in LOVEheartbeat.gifheartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#41 of 146 Old 12-30-2011, 09:49 PM
~pi

theboysmama, I am so, so happy for you. What a lovely leap to make. heartbeat.gif

livacreature, your ILs are really something else. Good grief. Also, please report back on the windi, if only for our collective comic relief. ;-)

Iris, hope you and your family are on the mend soon!

not_telling, yikes on the fire, and your dinner sounds fantastic.

dollyanna, also what emmaegbert said. Older kids on vacation can be a handful that they are not normally. Mine sure has been the past day or two. (He's going to a birthday party tomorrow and went to pick out a small gift yesterday. Now he has decided he wants to keep the gift. Much uncharacteristic crying over being told, 'Uh, no. That isn't how gift-giving works.' Sigh.)

beautifulmoon, tummy time muscles can be developed other ways, as theboysmama mentioned. I was told with DS1 that carrying him upright developed some of the same muscles. (Not sure if that's true, but certainly the arm pushing and some core strength can happen that way.) Also, just in case, one trick I figured out with my first, who hated tummy time with a passion, was to put him down with his arms under him, not at his sides. So already up in a half-army crawl kind of position, if that makes sense. I had been putting him down in more of a push-up kind of position, which is much harder. Starting from an easier position helped a lot. He never really loved tummy time, so I didn't do it daily. He's OK and still learned to crawl and all that.

AFM, such a minor thing but I need to vent somewhere: DH shrunk my only nursing sweater in the dryer. It is now too tight and the arms are too short. The sweater is not replaceable; I got on super clearance in the first place. It was the one top I had that was warm enough not to need extra layers in winter, it was flattering, and I wore it about every second day. I am very grateful that he does the laundry, but honey, could you please stop damaging my favourite clothes? (Other recent casualties include both pairs of my good tights. Same deal, they are not supposed to go in the dryer.) ARGH. He totally knows the difference between dryer-safe and not. We frequently use our indoor line, and he has never put, say, his bicycling tights or any of his nice things in the dryer. He has washed this sweater before and knew it didn't go in the dryer; he just wasn't paying attention. I am upset waaaaaay out of proportion, but dude, did it have to be my favourite top?

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#42 of 146 Old 12-31-2011, 05:57 AM

I can totally understand that, ~pi! I have a tendency to completely overreact to things at the moment (stupid grownups riding a bike on the sidewalk where my girls and I are walking make me want to kill them) and I would blow a gasket over DH shrinking my only nursing sweater. I am working on my temper, but Lord is it slow going. greensad.gif

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#43 of 146 Old 12-31-2011, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

pi - sooo sorry about the sweater! Arghh!

tempers - mine has been too quick as of late but I found perspective when my mil said the wish she put on the yule log on solstice was one she's made for 75 years ---- that'll she'll be more patient! hahaha

nicole - yeeeeeeah for bonding!!!

tummytime - we don't do it, well just sporadically here & there. Ds sat & crawled early. Dd is well on her way to sitting. I think being upright in arms helps a lot. So many of these recommendations are based on the fact that so many babies spend their days lying or semi-reclined.

livacreature - wow  your il's sound obnoxious & completely clueless.

nye - we're going toboganning this afternoon at the neighbours - we had to arrange a ride 'cause you need a 4-wheeler or snowmobile to get there! Tonight we are heading to a friend's for a kid-friendly evening, we may spend the night depending on the weather. Weird - we had 4 invites for nye this year - unheard of!!!

sickness - still a tingle in my throat but a vast improvement - I can eat & drink again!! I truly felt awful enough this past week to seriously consider end of life decisions. I would go through labour 5 times over that!

resolutions???

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#44 of 146 Old 12-31-2011, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Whew, I've been gone a long time. Internet issues before Christmas (it was kind of nice not having internet--dh has this enormous break at Christmas and we found ourselves NOT heading to the computer at every little "I wonder" that popped into our heads.) I read some at my parents' but the connection there is too slow to bother posting anything.

Quote:

I hit multi-quote when I read this, but everyone else has already said what I was going to say. I think that babywearing helps with the stomach muscles. Anyhow, my dd sleeps lots on her tummy--tummy to tummy with me.

Quote:

In-law rant #1,000,002

Wow. Wow. Did they slip you a mickey during your pregnancy or something, and now they are waiting to see if it worked? Why else would they be so willing and quick to think that something was wrong with her development??

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post

Melissa & Doug  ... I boycotted them years ago because of them advocating spanking, but now I can't find much online about it.  Will check later.

Awesome. "Here Mikey, have a toy! Wooden toys are so good for kids. And you know what else is good for kids? You guessed it, the Rod of Correction. We make colorful, wooden Rods of Correction just for crunchy parents. Whack whack."

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post
my baby joy.gif She is the sweetest most beautiful little thing and is just perfect. I am so in LOVEheartbeat.gifheartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif

Aw! That is the best!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

I am upset waaaaaay out of proportion, but dude, did it have to be my favourite top?

This is not out of proportion! My DH has a special talent for shrinking our things and turning our white things pink. Hate it!

AFM: Yesterday was DH and my 11th anniversary! WHAT?? We had tickets to the museum of fine arts "Degas and the Nude" in Boston, which was good. My parents babysat DS and we brought DD, who of course pooped all over her clothes the second we got to the museum. I had brought a change, but not socks. Our plan had been to drive back up home afterward and have takeout for dinner while my parents brought ds out, but it was rush hour Boston traffic, so we thought we would eat in the city. DD was screaming in the car and DH saw a sign for "Greek Cuisine" but failed to see the words, "Wings and Burgers" along with them, and thought that the empty beer bottles in the window were a wine bottle display and clearly did not register the neon lights and florescent lighting within. We parked and walked in the cold to the "Cute place that looked perfect for us" which was to my horror not at all cute. We ducked into the first place we saw that looked ok, and I nursed Iona on the toilet in the bathroom with lights on a 10 second timer, waving my arms around. This was when it all got funny, and the food at the place turned out to be delicious Caribbean  (and totally not on Iona's elimination diet plan for which we're paying today) and we had fun.

Woke up today to a broken hot water heater on NYE. Bummerosis.

Tonight is kiddie mayhem with our friends starting at 4.30. No midnight nonsense involved.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#45 of 146 Old 12-31-2011, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Much more later, but for now.... champagne.gif partytime.gif

63efd61a33dc11e1abb01231381b65e3_7.jpg

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#46 of 146 Old 12-31-2011, 01:50 PM

Katico, love your pipe cleaner letters--you're such a delightful overachiever! Everything you do, poof! Greatness. champagne.gif

lifeguard likes this.

#47 of 146 Old 12-31-2011, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Ha, thank you, I think winky.gif  DD was a little upset that the Christmas decorations had disappeared, so we needed some NY sparkle.  We also made snowflakes and painted them with the coolest glitter glue - it has multicoloured foil circles in it.  Of course, now every surface in the house, including the baby, is covered with multicoloured foil circles.....all the better to celebrate?

#48 of 146 Old 12-31-2011, 03:03 PM

Katico: I love the mantle!  And glittery, festive babies!

Pi: I'd be pissed.  I'm sorry it was your favorite.  

TheBoysMama: I'm so glad you and your little one have bonded.  What a wonderful way to start the new year!

Rosemary: Happy anniversary!  Sucks about the hot water heater.

AFM: Aurora is finally fitting in her cloth diaper stash!  I am so excited!  She is in a minky cow print now.  <3  Had I known she'd be in newborn disposables this long, I would have bought some newborn cloths, but oh well.  

Happy New Year everyone!

#49 of 146 Old 12-31-2011, 07:10 PM

Pi ... I would've been BESIDE myself.  Each Christmas, my mom knits me a gorgeous pair of socks.  Stunningly gorgeous.  Works of art.  I treasure them.  TWICE, dp has put them in the dryer.  She has also ruined two pairs of longies, dd's precious rainbow sweater, and a pair of my tights.  Each time she *swore* she wouldn't do it again, knew better, blah, blah, blah ... but then time passes and she gets lazy around about the time I get lazy about making sure their are no delicates in the laundry basket, and voila, another mishap.  We now have a small "handwash only" basket beside the regular family laundry basket.

katico ... We still have glitter everywhere after making snowglobes several weeks ago.  Love the banner!

boysmama ... Great to hear that you and dd are bonding in a new and wonderful way! 

Rosemary ... That really sucks about your water heater.  We had one die on a national holiday and the plumber charged $375 to come with a new one!  And Happy Anniversary to you and your husband!

liv ... Yay for adorable diaper butts!  My little guy is in the next size up so I've been trying to sell my newborn stash but no takers yet.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#50 of 146 Old 12-31-2011, 07:23 PM

Hope everyone has a happy new year! It is 8:18 here and I don't think I will make it another hour I am bushed.

Went to the aquarium today (trying to get my kids out of the house) and dd2 did great. She likes getting out too.

Dh's grandma gave us some cash for Christmas and we are going to surprise the kids with a stay in a hotel tomorrow (1 hr away) and a day of skiing on monday. Should be fun.

Just read on the jan ddc that they have lost 2 babies recently :(. The first one popped up in the new threads and I took a look (he was still born) and then I found the other one who was a preemie and died about 3 wks on christmas eve. It hurts my heart sooooo bad and really makes me remember how much it hurts and how blessed I am now to be holding a sweet healthy squirmy little girl in my lap.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#51 of 146 Old 12-31-2011, 07:29 PM

Rosemary - Happy Anniversary!  Sounds like you had a very random day, which, of course, had to include poopies.  I believe 10th anniversary is gold and 11th is poopies.

Katico - Splendid sparkly NY banner....you're giving me some ideas...

Tummy time - We never did much of it with DS...at least not the official on-the-floor-on-your-belly-kid kind.  But he seemed to get enough practice/strengthening from lying tummy-to-tummy on us and by being held.  And he's a strong and capable 3 year old now, so I'm not too worried. 

livacreature - cute cloth diapers...sigh...luxlove.gif

AFM - well, it's about 10:30pm, DS was tucked in to bed about an hour ago and DD is getting fussy like she wants to start settling into bedtime.  I think I may have had a revelation about her sleep which I'll share tomorrow when I have a bit more time...but DS is supposed to bring her up to me soon (I'm supposed to be getting ready for bed right now) -- his friend is still over and I don't feel like going down in my pj's.

So happy 2012 y'all!

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#52 of 146 Old 01-01-2012, 05:57 AM

Happy New Year! DP and I had what we refer to as "another rockin' Saturday night" passed out from exhaustion on the couch. 

resolutions gotta think of some. For some reason, I feel motivated this year. Maybe it's age and having a sense of the long view. Or maybe it's just optimism.

pi I totally understand. I still remember when my college roommate surprised me on my birthday by doing my laundry and shrinking my favorite dresses. And when water got into some clothes I had stored away, I cried. It seemed silly even at the time, but they felt irreplaceable.

rosemary Happy anniversary! and wowsa at 11 years.

katico So impressed with your crafts.

theboysmama I just read the thread that was recently updated too. It also made me realize how lucky we are for having healthy little ones.

It took me a little time to bond as well. (I had some ppd It turns out.) Feels so good when you feel things begin to fall into place.

not telling can't wait to hear your sleep revelation. 

liv I'll be excited too when I'm done with the disposables MIL generously bought and can use cloth. Esp as my local natural parenting store will outfit me with cloth dipes if I show them my WIC card.

tummytime Ok, won't worry about it any more. I'm afraid of being hassled by the pediatrician though, but I think I think I just need a new pediatrician.

But now I do wonder how much babywearing you all do? DD hates being in the Ergo for more than 30 minutes when I'm home and squirms out of the Moby unless she's sleeping. She likes to face out but that kills my back (I have an old injury). I try to make it out every day, but she does a lot of her sleeping in her bouncy chair. What carriers have worked for you all at home? 

#53 of 146 Old 01-01-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:

liv I'll be excited too when I'm done with the disposables MIL generously bought and can use cloth. Esp as my local natural parenting store will outfit me with cloth dipes if I show them my WIC card.

WOW! How cool is that!!! What an awesome service they are providing!

Quote:

But now I do wonder how much babywearing you all do? DD hates being in the Ergo for more than 30 minutes when I'm home and squirms out of the Moby unless she's sleeping. She likes to face out but that kills my back (I have an old injury). I try to make it out every day, but she does a lot of her sleeping in her bouncy chair. What carriers have worked for you all at home? 

I have been frustrated on the babywearing front as well. I have worn all my babies all the time. Dd2 is just not into it. At home we have tried the ergo, moby, mei tei, meya ring sling, pouch, etc. She just wants to be in someones arms or is perfectly happy in the swing for hours at a time. She usually falls right to sleep the min. she goes in it. I keep trying though. When we go out I use the ergo and she tolerates it but is really irritable and squirmy. Yesterday I put her in the stroller because I had it with me for hte big kids and they weren't using it and dd2 was screaming in my ear. She didn't want to nurse, she had just gone potty, had a dry diaper, etc. so I knew she was tired. I set her down in the stroller and she was asleep in a few min. All kids are different I guess. I try to do attachment parenting but that is about communication, right? and if my baby is communicating that she wants alone time then I need to listen and not feel guilty about it. That is where I am at with it.

HAPPY NEW YEARS everyone. Mine isn't starting out so great. Last night dh went out with some friends (which I don't mind as I was exhausted) BUT his phone was turned off and after being up for 2 hrs w/ dd2 screaming at me I was no longer ok with him being gone. I said he could go because I was planning on going to bed but it didn't work out that way. Now he thinks he can sleep in because he was up late...... news flash so was I and i wasn't having fun. Uggggg

#54 of 146 Old 01-01-2012, 06:46 AM

Beautifulmoon: That is awesome that the store does that.  How cool!  I've never heard of a place doing that.  I wonder if any places around here will do that for the folks I see for financial literacy consulting.  Diapers are always one of the big stresses and most of them don't have the resources to put up the cost upfront. 

Babywearing: It depends on the day.  When we are out and about, it can be four-six hours a day.  At home, it is less.  Except when DH is taking care of her.  She spends a lot of moby time playing skyrim with her daddy.

Nicole: Not last night, but the night before was similar for us.  DH was downstairs playing games with our company until 4am.  He didn't want to watch the dog (who was excited because there were two guest dogs) so around 12am, he put her in her crate in our room.  She then kept barking loudly and waking up the baby, who would scream her head off.  He then thought he was sleeping in.  AHAHAHA.  No.  If he wanted that, should've kept the dog with him. 

Not_telling: Looking forward to the sleep revalation! 

AFM:Last night was the first time that we've put the baby down and left the room.  First time we used the baby monitor.  We were just in the basement watching a movie with our company, but I think I was up checking on her every twenty minutes because I was worried.  She slept soundly, but it felt so weird being in the house without her being right there.  I don't think I'll repeat that again for a while, if we want to watch something, it is accessible on the laptop anyway.  Less interruptions. 

I pumped 2.5 ounces at one time this morning!  Might not sound like much, but I have been getting about an ounce for the past couple of weeks.  I felt like wonder woman!

#55 of 146 Old 01-01-2012, 08:06 AM

babywearing - I love babywearing but don't do it a whole lot in the house. Generally I just prefer to do housework & whatnot without a baby on me (I just feel so burdened when she's on me - possibly 'cause I don't have little babies?) so I try to just get that stuff done at times that someone else can hold her or she's sleeping or happy on her own (of course I'm waste a good nap right now being on the computer instead of doing laundry!). I do pretty much always babywear when we are out of the house though. I find neither of my babies are content in a stroller - but maybe that's 'cause I don't like having them in a stroller! I even wore dd on a 4-wheeler yesterday (ok - this sounds waaaaaaay more dangerous than it was but I felt pretty funny doing it anyway).

dh's - it seems like such a common thread that they stay up late & then want to sleep in or nap - why is it? There have been days that I seriously want to just unleash on my dh when he tells me is tired (in that "I'd love to take a nap" way). Really?! YOU'RE tired?!! Argh! In our house the problem tends to be that he wakes up at some ungodly hour & then for some unknown reason thinks he should get up for the day & is fried by noon - drives me batty!

livacreature - it always feels SO weird to me when my baby is not right with me. I keep looking around for them.

new year - I started back up with the nutritionist today - I had put it on hold 'cause I was having such poor compliance with my complete lack of sleep but now that dd is sleeping at night (she's even getting some longish stretches in her bassinette) I think I am ready. This means I need to step up my cardio as well so I started out this morning by hauling 8 loads of wood into the house. Hopefully that will be enough for almost the whole week. I REALLY want this to be the year that I FINALLY reach my goal weight - it's been such a long road, but I know if I follow up with the nutritionist I will reach it.

#56 of 146 Old 01-01-2012, 09:56 AM

I donthave too much time to post, but I will write as much as I have time for.

Landon and I are back in NY. We flew back Friday i already miss my family back in Seattle greensad.gif

Landon has slept TERRIBLE the last two nights. Won't stay asleep when I put him down. It has taken me over 2 hours each night to get him to bed. And then he only sleeps for 3 hours before he is up and not going back to bed after he eats. He still has a little bit of a stuffy nose, but he was sleeping way better in Seattle, and he had a stuffy nose there too. I thought being back in his own crib he would sleep great. At my parents he was in a pack n play, which feels way more uncomfy to me I really hope he starts going to bes easier. I'm a tired mama.

My cat has been terrible. He has bit dp twice in the last 24 hours. He knows better than to bit me.

Landon has his 2 month checkup tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to it. He is suppose to get his shots. I think that I will follow Dr Sears vaccine schedule, so tomorrow he will just get dtap and rotovirus. I'm nervous about telling my pediatrician we aren't following the normal vaccine plan. I'm not good about sticking up for myself and what I want. Hope it goes okay. I'm also concerned about Landons weight. He is a thin guy. At 1 month he was 8 lbs 3 oz.

We don't really do any baby wearing over here. I've tried several times, and Landon hates it. Maybe when he is a little older he will like it? Makes me sad, I wanted to wear him a lot of the time.

Resolutions, I feel like I have a million! One of the biggest is to lose some weight. I've been eating WAY too many sweets this past month. I joined Weight Watchers a few weeks ago, but have yet to actually follow the plan. Starting Tuesday I will be following it though. Going grocery shopping today to stock up on food. It's tough, I don't have a lot of time to do any cooking. Working full time I don't get home until 6 and Landon is very needy in the evenings. I need a lot of healthy crock pot ideas.

I have my appointment with my midwife this Wednesday night. A little late, since it will be almost 9 weeks since I had Landon.

I love that we are still so talkative here!! Hope it never gets quiet. I don't really have any friends, so it's nice to be able to "chat" with you ladies smile.gif

Chelsea, loving mama to Landon, born 11/3

#57 of 146 Old 01-01-2012, 10:47 AM

I hope everyone had a great new years!  I just chilled it out with the babe and was actually snuggled in bed with him when the new year rung in.  It was nice.  I can't wait till he's old enough to be covered in glitter from making decorations with me.

CDing.  I am so glad I had a bigger baby because I didn't have many newborn cloth diapers and I absolutely hate disposables.  I have probably mentioned this on here before but I hate the smell of them and it seems like everytime my son wears them out he has a poopsplosion and he leaks out.  I have had very few leaks with all the different types of cloth i have.  Just last week I was at a charity place waiting in line to get assistance with my oil and he started freaking out when I got to the front of the line.  I turned him around and saw poop soaking up the backl of his outfit.  I am so glad I had a change of clothes with me but when I came out with him he looked funny because the outfit I had in my bag the legs were too short and it had no feets so I needed to put clashing socks on him.  It was quite a sight. 

Speaking of size of babies, isn't it amazing how much they can range in size in the first year.  I met someone with a little babe yesterday in the coop and asked him how old she was because she looked about my son's age and size.  She was 6 months and smaller than DS.  The guy said they had a friend who had a 9mo that his DD was bigger than.  I hope DS slows down a little, we go through stuff so fast!

babywearing.  I hardly babywear in the house.  Only sometimes does he tolerate it.  It's also tough for me to do anything while wearing him.  I wear him when I go out though in the ergo.  He is fine as long as I keep moving and he has stuff to look at.I can't wait till the warmer weather when I can do more outdoor stuff with him and wear him. 

I go back to work on Tuesday... I am so nervous. 

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#58 of 146 Old 01-01-2012, 01:24 PM

tummy time:  I know that I'm late to chime in on this one, but I do want to add my two cents worth.  We did no tummy time with my first, and she's just fine.  She was in a carrier of some kind most of the time, so developed the specific muscles that way.  The only thing to note is that she never crawled.  She went straight the cruising and then walking.  No concerns whatsoever.  I'm not a fan of tummy time at all. 

babywearing:  I wear the baby most of the time.  At home, he's in the ring sling, or on my back with the woven wrap.  Outside we use the ergo mostly, or the ring sling.  The interesting thing about him is that he likes to 'stand' in the carriers, so I have to adjust how I wear him.  My first was happy to be froggy style until she could splay her legs, but H seems to like to be nearly upright half the time. 

Gotta go ... baby needs to sleep.

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE!

QOTD:  Any resolutions having to do with your newborn?  I'll be back later to answer. 

#59 of 146 Old 01-01-2012, 01:35 PM

tank - oh the disposable dipe stench!! I've been sick so we've been doing disposables this week & dh bought pampers & YUCK! They smell like baby powder when new & once wet make me gag.

#60 of 146 Old 01-01-2012, 02:27 PM

New Year's Resolution...To get back into painting daily or as regularly as possible? My friend Rick showed me his new paintings last night; he's self-taught and a real inspiration as far as nose to the grindstone is concerned. Guy has a not-yet 3 year old and twin not-yet 1 year olds, and finds time to paint.

We had a fun New Year's party; we're grateful to live in town with so many of our college pals. We all had a party with our kids, and then "Blunch" (a meal between lunch and brunch, ha, ha) here with mimosas and poached eggs with fresh vegetables. Followed by a walk to the harbor.

I just finished reading Bossypants by Tina Fey and just lmao. We have a local lending library called the Isabel Babson Memorial Library that was started long ago by a midwife who wanted to leave to posterity a family library for women concerning everything from birth to death. I have no idea why they have Bossypants there (women and work?) but it spoke to me when I went in to borrow The Discipline Book from the Sears.

Pascal was sick a few days ago, and I fear that I am coming down with it myself. A very nasty flu with both ends involved.

Hey! Remember when I posted about my friend who was in the coma, with an 8% chance of survival? Actually, one doctor of the 8 that saw him gave him those odds, and everyone else said he would not survive after being brain dead for 30 minutes. Saw his ex-wife last night at the party and he is out of the coma and seems quite normal albeit "goofier and more innocent" but most definitely going to live and not be in any sort of vegetative state!!!!!! He started coming out of it by saying, "I would like some orange juice, please." :)

Happy New Year!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page