Chat Thread: Dec 27th Jan 3rd - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2012, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Nuclear Christmas: You've inspired me, Starling  - time for me to grow a spine......better to deal with  ruffled feathers than to regret missing out on our own Christmas in these precious, little years.

playsilks:Thank you for the btdt info, pi!  Friends and I are going to order some silks and give it a go!  I think I might try some silk paint also

This

Quote:

Originally Posted by livacreature View Post

Windi:  Dudes, I'm trying it.  I don't want to give her anything for this gas and it seems like the perfect solution!  Brilliant!  Now if it just had something in it to make cool sounds with the air is released.  Like a kazoo.  

and this

Quote:
Originally Posted by livacreature View Post

In-law rant #1,000,002

DH was on the phone with them.  "Yeah, Aura's starting to coo back when we talk to her."  Long pause.  "No, of course she isn't talking, she's not even three months old....no,I don't think something might be wrong with her hearing.  She's too young to talk...even a little bit...yes, I'm sure."  They drop it after a few more minutes.  "No, she isn't sitting up yet.  She holds her head up and looks around.  She was rolling before they put her in the harness."  Pause.  "No.  Three month olds aren't usually sitting up or crawling.  No, she can't pull herself up.  She's three months old."  Another pause.  "No.  She is no where close to delayed right now."

"Yeah, she was 8lb, 3 oz at the pediatrician."  Pause.  "No, they don't think she is overweight."

and this

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

Awesome. "Here Mikey, have a toy! Wooden toys are so good for kids. And you know what else is good for kids? You guessed it, the Rod of Correction. We make colorful, wooden Rods of Correction just for crunchy parents. Whack whack."

and this

Quote:

Originally Posted by not_telling View Post

Rosemary - Happy Anniversary!  Sounds like you had a very random day, which, of course, had to include poopies.  I believe 10th anniversary is gold and 11th is poopies.

and this

Quote:

Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post

oh I hear you! Days like that makes me realize why some animals eat their young.

made me laugh out loud.  Seriously.  Thank you all, I needed that!

Tummy time:  DD1 hated it so I didn't bother with it much...and she also never really crawled but cruised and walked at 9mo.  I'm not worrying much about it with Claire, she doesn't like it much either and is VERY strong already. She was born holding her head up and she can stand and hold her own weight entirely, which is nothing to sneeze at when you weigh 13lb 9 oz!

theboysmama:  I am so thrilled to hear you and DD have bonded - isn't it amazing how your heart can open up like that and love someone so completely?!

shrinking laundry:  I would totally lose it on DH if he shrank my favourite thing....oh wait, that would never happen because he doesn't even know how to work the washer/dryer without asking for help.  

Resolutions: Some pretty standard stuff has been on my mind....buy/waste less, DIY more, eat better, get out more...but right now I'm thinking of these things as getting back on track with the things I already was doing before being thrown off by pregnancy/newborn land.  I'd like this to be the year I finally get around to making something of our master bedroom, it's the last room in the house that's basically undecorated.  I'd also like to knit myself a sweater this year - I knit for everyone else, never for myself.  

The biggest thing on my mind is to really examine the gap between the parent I want to be and where I'm at.  I need to play more (I really don't like to play...is that terrible? I love doing "real" things with her - cooking, crafting etc, but pretend play is hard for me) , read together more, be more present, find more patience. 

I've also been giving a lot of thought to the fact that DD1 is 2.5 and really not very far from school age (they start here around 5) and we are probably either going to homeschool or go private....so I have to think about our options.  I want to make this year an experiment of sorts and see if I honestly can make a go of homeschooling - I'm afraid I won't be able to get out enough, be social enough, etc for her as she gets older.  I do think a home-based life is super important for little people but DD1 is very social and and I don't want out home/unschooling to be about us sitting around home all the time.  The best part of not being in "school" is the freedom to go and do things!

QOTD-Resolutions re:newborn:  not shaft her too much as the second child, haha?  fill out her baby book?  

January DDC Losses: Makes me so sick and sad :(

Heavy wetters:  Looooving the fuzzibunz I got the other day, they're adorable and so soft!  I was reading on their site and this little tidbit made me laaaaaaaaaaugh:

Q. How often do I need to change my baby?

A. Every parent knows their baby best. If you have a heavy wetter, we suggest changing more often—every 2-3 hours. If you have a light wetter—you can change your baby every 3-4 hours. A second insert can be used to extend time between changes for nighttime.

Oh my.  Every 2-3 hours?!?!?!   I WISH. Last night, Claire peed every 15-20 minutes.  For hours.  And everytime, she screamed until I changed her.  Tonight, she peed twice in 5 minutes.  

Someone mentioned to me that frequent urination can be a sign of a food sensitivity - anyone have any experience with this?  

babywearing: We'll often go out walking for an hour or so in the morning and I wear Claire.  An hour or two while out doing groceries etc.  Mostly at home I don't wear her.  If we're back from a walk and she's asleep I'll leave her in.  Or if she's super fussy and I need to get something done.  But she, and dd1 before her, really prefers to be out and looking around at the world and what I'm doing.  And she's such an easy baby it isn't often that she's fussy or clingy.  I always wear her when we're out though - never a stroller.  I haven't had any back troubles yet - I did find I had some pain when DD1 was older and I wore her for long stretches because she was on one hip and it throws your balance off

It's funny, I felt like theboysmama does when I had DD1 - I felt like I should be wearing or holding her all the time, it's what I imagined myself doing and thought I was somehow failing at AP for not, but that I decided that my baby was curious and happier to be sitting or playing independently when we were at home (even from 2-3 weeks old) and that I was honouring her wishes by letting her do it!  It certainly never hurt our bonding etc and she was thrilled to be in the sling while we were out in the world

I feel like I'm losing some coherence here....it's been a long day....

livacreature:  hi-five on the 2.5 oz!!

disposable stink:  right?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

New Year's Resolution...To get back into painting daily or as regularly as possible? My friend Rick showed me his new paintings last night; he's self-taught and a real inspiration as far as nose to the grindstone is concerned. Guy has a not-yet 3 year old and twin not-yet 1 year olds, and finds time to paint.

Does Guy have a wife?  Explains it ;)

Hey! Remember when I posted about my friend who was in the coma, with an 8% chance of survival? Actually, one doctor of the 8 that saw him gave him those odds, and everyone else said he would not survive after being brain dead for 30 minutes. Saw his ex-wife last night at the party and he is out of the coma and seems quite normal albeit "goofier and more innocent" but most definitely going to live and not be in any sort of vegetative state!!!!!! He started coming out of it by saying, "I would like some orange juice, please." :)

And this is soooooo amazing to hear!!  Imagine!!!

AFM:  Had such a nice supper tonight - grilled steak with mushrooms, roasted chickpeas and asparagus...felt so good to cook and normal meal again, nothing so rich as all the holiday food we've been eating.  

Hard day with DD1.  She put my resolution to be more patient to the test from the moment I opened my eyes.  She really needs me right now, needs more attention and play than she ever has before....but how do I balance that with my own needs and not let her suck me dry?! I'm used to her being a very independant little person who preferred to play by herself.  I'm pretty tired of being needed, right now.  

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2012, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

rosemary - that's incredible!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 01-01-2012, 06:13 PM

Lemme start with this:  Tonight I actually said, "Sure, you can have dessert....after you finish your lobster."  Seriously.  This kid who was all about the lobster when we were in Maine (15 months ago...) had to be [cringe] bribed to eat one piece of it tonight.

Let's see...

Rosemary - So great and amazing about your friend!

Babywearing - We pretty much only do it when we're out of the house.  In the house I just count on those times when she's zonked in her bouncy chair to get stuff done.

Heavy Wetting - 2-3 hours for a heavy wetter...uh, I don't think so...unless you're talking disposables.  Actually today we switched DD from using just the inserts of the fitted diapers (we use Growing Greens) to using the fitted diaper itself (sans insert at this point).  We had to unsnap her Thirsties cover to its full size, but it seems fine and we can go a bit longer before having to change her if there's no poop.

Sleep Revelation - Ok...this is probably just a revelation to me and everyone will be like, "uhhh, duh."  Until DS was getting ready to start preschool, he always went to bed when we did.  This being because he was in our room until he was 2 yrs and wouldn't go to sleep without us there.  And he definitely woke up a lot in that first year or two.  And then when he was in his own room, we just stayed with that schedule of him going to sleep between 10:30-11:30pm (and luckily, once in his own room he usually woke only 0-2 times a night).  Now, of course, he goes to bed earlier and gets up earlier...and I do, too.  So DD has been on this schedule of mommy, daddy and baby all being in bed for the night by about 10:00pm most nights.  And, as I've mentioned, she's been sleeping pretty well, once she actually  goes to sleep (which could be by 10:30pm or as late as 12:30-1:00am on a bad night).  She'll usually sleep for 5-7 hours straight.  Well, since DH has been on vacation these last couple weeks, he and I (and DD) have been going to bed later and later.  And DD's sleep started to get all wonky...with lots more waking up.  So the last two nights we've gone back to being in bed by 10:15-10:30 and she's back to sleeping better.  Which makes me wonder if DS would've slept better in those early days if we all actually went to bed earlier.  At least he wasn't "messed up" for good...he usually sleeps 10-11 hours a night and usually doesn't get up at all.

I think there were more things I wanted to respond to, but I don't know how to go back and look at a previous page when I'm in the midst of a reply.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

Old 01-01-2012, 06:38 PM

hmm... changing... I change as soon as I notice baby is wet. We do EC so I am pretty on top of it and generally she is using the potty or being changed every hour (or less). longer stretches during naps. but with the EC that still adds up to about 2-6 wet diapers a day (not counting night diaper). If I am out and know its going to be hard to change/potty her, I often have her wear a sposie. We use the unbleached "natural" brands (like seventh generation, or whole foods store brand, or the drugstore chain here has one too) b/c I too cannot stand the smell of the regular sposies. I hate most scents though, of all sorts. I think I might be like a hyper-taster but of those smells?

babywearing: ugh, I feel like I do it ALL THE TIME. Its just me and 3 kids in an itty bitty apartment a lot of the time. I simply can't leave the baby unattended or the sibling love gets overwhelming/dangerous very quickly. I give her some floor time during meals, if she is in a good mood, and sometimes during older DDs nap. mostly we use ergo with infant "heart to heart" insert when out (and we are out a couple of hours a day often, walking around) and usually ring sling, tummy to tummy, indoors. I have to forcibly bend her legs for her sometimes to get her to "sit" down in the sling. I have plans to make a mei tai b/c I think that might be handy in the house- a little more versatile and I could start a back carry sooner.

tummy time: I don't really bother, with all the babywearing (we don't even own a bouncy seat or a sling and she cosleeps in bed with us... and she is never in a carseat or a stroller yet- she's gone on 2 car trips in her life)... I just don't worry about her having a problem developing her trunk muscles. I never really did it with the others and they were both very strong and very early with sitting and gross motor skills in general (I have videos of older DD sitting on her own and rolling a ball back and forth with her brother at 4m).

Katico I don't really play with my kids either. I believe I am "playful" and I support their healthy play, but I am personally not one of those grownups who are all getting into the games. I don't sweat it. My kids are super imaginative and play and play and play on their own (and increasingly, with eachother).

dissertating mom to three

Old 01-01-2012, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Sooo...I just was snarky about how DH didn't know how to use the washing machine and was thinking to myself how he'd likely decide to surprise me some day, do a load and ruin something.....

Yeah.  So, I just went down to switch the laundry and a) realized I had washed a disposable with my cloth diapers (thankfully it remained intact and didn't spread it's innards) and b) almost threw a very delicate handknit silk/wool lace baby sweater in a hot wash with a load of towels

bag.gif

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

Old 01-01-2012, 07:25 PM

Been here with dh's family in Newfoundland since 18 Dec - they are mostly on welfare so no internet

New Years Day today - bitersweet - Ds turned 5 today, had a small party, hardly anyone showed up and he did not even get 1 present - arsehole relatives at least he is still young enough to be distracted by mom :)

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

Old 01-01-2012, 10:06 PM

So sorry about ds' bday - hope he enjoyed his day anyway - did you do something special? I've always wanted to go to nfld.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:35 AM

we don't do a lot of presents at birthdays, maybe one or two things. Usually we try to do something special (a special family dinner or party or whatever). That has been fine with our kids and my oldest who turned 7 this year seems cool with it. Annoying if family won't even "celebrate" though!

haha, I have washed sposies several times with my cloth diapers... sometimes I tried to blame it on a babysitter or DH, but it was probably me who threw it in the diaper pail (since honestly, its me doing most of the diaper changing anyway...). Haven't yet with this kid. I figure that is better than tossing a cloth diaper in the trash!

Old 01-02-2012, 07:36 AM

(as you may have realized, I have rather low standards for myself in terms of housework type tasks)

Old 01-02-2012, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Katico, my friend does have a wife, but he paints after everyone is asleep. Not a duty shirker, that is what is cool about it, and also what makes me feel inadequate, I suppose. Also, so sorry that your patience is in jeopardy today. greensad.gif

Not telling, can I have dessert after I finish my lobster? Funny, I just read this and my ds said, "You know what mama, we are going to eat lobster tonight!" And I said, "I was thinking chicken." "No, we can go get lobster at the store." "Lobster is a special treat for special occasions." "Well, we can have it for dessert how about?" Oh, and your bedtime is really amazing. Would your ds take legendary naps every day?

changing: i don't change every pee. I do more the schedule that Katico posted, but neither kid has really minded a little wet. Poop is immediate. Yesterday Iona pooped at church, and since we forgot wipes, we waited till we came home. My dh reasoned that it had gotten warm and comfy, kind of like peeing in your wetsuit.

Saoirse, happy birthday to your ds. Sorry your relatives were so crappy about it.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:57 AM

katico - I totally missed your long post somehow. I hear you on being more present with the littles. I have been making a concerted effort to be more present with ds & I think it is helping. I've also noticed that now that I am sleeping enough & not sick he is suddenly back to being himself (the one I remember before dd was born). I am thinking a lot of his neediness & extreme behaviour has been a reaction to me being less plugged in to him, even though I was trying, it wasn't enough I guess. I am going to try to "homeschool" this next few months. Very, very, very informal but more as a test to see if I have it in me to be a bit more structured. My goal right now is just to try to do ONE structured/planned activity every week that has a learning outcome as it's goal. I've got lots of ideas pinned on pinterest right now!

frequent peeing - I don't know, imo babies just pee really frequent. I've never ec'd but when I pl'd ds when he was 22 months I was SHOCKED at how often he peed. I didn't have a clue he was peeing that frequently with a dipe on! But it didn't take long of pl'ing before he started stretching out between pees.

emmaegbert - if I didn't keep low levels for housework for myself all I would do is clean! Sometimes I find it less stressful to just accept the mess than to try to stay on top of it.

afm - ds went to my Mom's today & it looks as though I will be doing NOTHING with the time! I am well rested & it's dh's last day off. I had a nap & now we are going to watch Inception.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:13 PM

DD will only poop when I'm holding her.  It is odd.  She was playing with my husband all morning, the second I come downstairs and pick her up, she poops.  This has happened everyday this week.  So weird.  She never has pooped when anyone else holds her, and DH holds her as much as I do.

She had a BAD night last night.  I feel for you mamas with babes that aren't into sleep.  She was up four times, each time for about two hours.  She'd settle for about twenty minutes.  I finally gave up, put her between us after she was feed and changed and just let her fuss as I cuddled her, she usually sleeps next to the bed.  I maybe got an hour of sleep last night.  Fortunately, around seven I kicked DH and told him it was his turn.  He took her downstairs and I got to nap until eleven.  Question, does not actively soothing count as crying it out?  I was holding her, she was feed, changed, I just kind of gave up for a little bit.  She did fall asleep about ten minutes later.  She is so rarely that fussy, especially at night.  I felt bad, but there is only so much bouncing and shushing that can be done.  And she was still being held.

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

You mean you're holding her, but she's crying, you're exhausted, and you're not doing flips to soothe her? Nope, I don't think that's CIO at all. That's just crying. Sometimes it's too taxing to make them stop, like you've thought of everything. They're people, and we can't make them change how they feel if they just feel like crying! That is my take.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:48 PM
~pi

Visiting the ILs here and having a really lovely time. Went for a walk in the woods today, and baby did great -- slept the whole way and did not fuss about the very cold wind.

saoirse, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your big boy! So sorry his extended family wasn't as excited about it, but at least you were able to distract him.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Old 01-02-2012, 05:27 PM

livacreature - sometimes I think just being there is enough - not the same as cio at all.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

katico - I totally missed your long post somehow. I hear you on being more present with the littles. I have been making a concerted effort to be more present with ds & I think it is helping. I've also noticed that now that I am sleeping enough & not sick he is suddenly back to being himself (the one I remember before dd was born). I am thinking a lot of his neediness & extreme behaviour has been a reaction to me being less plugged in to him, even though I was trying, it wasn't enough I guess. I am going to try to "homeschool" this next few months. Very, very, very informal but more as a test to see if I have it in me to be a bit more structured. My goal right now is just to try to do ONE structured/planned activity every week that has a learning outcome as it's goal. I've got lots of ideas pinned on pinterest right now!

frequent peeing - I don't know, imo babies just pee really frequent. I've never ec'd but when I pl'd ds when he was 22 months I was SHOCKED at how often he peed. I didn't have a clue he was peeing that frequently with a dipe on! But it didn't take long of pl'ing before he started stretching out between pees.

I'd love to follow you on pinterest!  (Here I am http://pinterest.com/katico/ )

And interesting re: the peeing - you're probably right!  I think DD1 was just more tolerent of wet and wet less each time, so I didn't realize how often she was probably going.  DD2 is instantly unhappy.  And I'm doing a LOT of diaper washing!

Also, I was reading back old threads on the 3 day potty learning method and saw you did it with your DS!  We are starting tomorrow.  New potty and elmo undies and bribes, err...rewards,,,in hand.  I'm terrified.  And so thankful I have no carpets in the house.   inthet.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

You mean you're holding her, but she's crying, you're exhausted, and you're not doing flips to soothe her? Nope, I don't think that's CIO at all. That's just crying. Sometimes it's too taxing to make them stop, like you've thought of everything. They're people, and we can't make them change how they feel if they just feel like crying! That is my take.

yeahthat.gif  It wasn't  CIO imo!  You met her needs and held her.  I think sometimes they need the space to fuss, like we need to let toddlers feel and express their anger/sadness/frustration.  My dd1 went through a stage where she would often fuss and cry when she was tired, even though she was clean and fed and held - it was just part of her winding down and she would fall asleep after a5-10 minutes.  She didn't really need to be bounced etc - it didn't work anyway when she was in that place!  

Old 01-02-2012, 07:01 PM

livacreature I don't think what you did was CIO at all. Sometimes you have to try to save your sanity. I think when babies get that worked up, anyway, they may not even register whether you're responding sensitively to them or just ignoring them. I had to adjust my expectations for myself in that regard because I was getting anxious and depressed from trying to keep these unattainable ideals. Babies will cry, and it's okay.

Rosemary That's great about your friend. 

Diaper changing DD isn't too particular about wet diapers (just about the only thing she's not fussy about), but I try to change it at least every 4 hours or so. What I wonder is if it's always necessary to use a wipe when it's just a wet diaper and baby herself is dry. 

Saiorse So sorry about your DS's birthday. I hope he had a good time anyway.

Well, I'm returning to work this Saturday. It's only a single Saturday shift for now, but I'm a bit worried because DD still won't accept a bottle very easily. We've only succeeded in getting her to accept the bottle twice. The last time she took it only after she missed a few feedings and only drank a 1/2 ounce or so. Needless to say, DD and I never been apart for more than a few hours either, so it'll be a big adjustment.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulmoon View Post

Diaper changing DD isn't too particular about wet diapers (just about the only thing she's not fussy about), but I try to change it at least every 4 hours or so. What I wonder is if it's always necessary to use a wipe when it's just a wet diaper and baby herself is dry. 

I rarely wipe for just pee.  I use a wet washcloth a couple of times/day to keep her fresh and for poop but that's it.  I actually found too much wiping = diaper rash for both my girls

Old 01-02-2012, 07:58 PM

beautifulmoon I am returning to work tomorrow!  I am nervous just like you because DS hasn't really fully accepted the bottle.  I think we just need to jump into it and he will get it, I hope so anyway!  Still super nervous though.  I know I am going to try and have him eat as much as possible before I leave and then he is probably going to be attached to my boob all night tomorrow night.

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

Old 01-02-2012, 08:39 PM

beautifulmoon & tank - best wishes for work & lo's accepting bottles

diapers - I generally only wipe after poops but try to give some airing out time.

katico - I followed you on pinterest - you have soooo much to look at! 3 day pottying - didn't take 3 days for us but by day 3 ds was definitelt getting it. He was 22 months & barely verbal but just seemed ready to me (I truly cannot describe why I felt that but it was clear to me at the time). Stickers were our best reward. Good luck with it!

Ds napped at my Mom's today. He went to bed 2.5 hours ago & is still awake in there! So frustrating! He's good, stays in his room, for the most part plays quietly but a part of me feels it's unfair to leave him in there sooooo long, but worry about starting a bad habit of having him stay up too late. Sigh. Why does a nap mess up bedtime so severely?!

Old 01-02-2012, 10:14 PM

Katico -I followed you on Pinterest too!

Diaper change frequency - I don't change DS nearly as often as I should now that he's in cloth diapers. I'm still adjusting to the more frequent changes. In disposables, it always seemed like he was dry for hours and then, boom, the diaper would be soaked. I pretty much just change him before or after every feeding and whenever I notice he needs it in between. I don't wipe for pee unless it seems like he's getting gunky. I do wipe out his big old leg rolls once or twice a day, they get nasty.

AFM (vent!) - DH has caught the same cold the majority of us have had. Now, it's pretty nasty--super gunky nose and lungs, itchy dry sore throat, fever about 101 (for me at least). But OMG. The man cold is in full swing. He's SO pathetic.  Getting in bed tonight he's making sound effects to illustrate that he's cold under his blankets, and then he told me (I kid you not) that he THOUGHT HE MIGHT DIE FROM IT. Oh yeah, die from the same thing I took care of the newborn with for three days? Cuss.gif His theory is because he has an ingrown toenail and a toothache, that his body won't be able to fight all those infections at once and it'll just give up.  The most he did for me while I was sick was get me a glass of water twice--but he needs to be waited on hand and foot. eyesroll.gif I just know he's going to call out tomorrow, completely negating the extra holiday pay he got, plus some. Even if he feels a little better tomorrow he's already made up his mind he's not working so he won't be going. OH, girls, I'm glad I have you to vent to or I might go insane.

Mom to Eli babyboy.gif 10/18/11 and loving wife to Derrin. heartbeat.gif 

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

Old 01-02-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post Sigh. Why does a nap mess up bedtime so severely?!

My son Alex is about 6 months older than yours, and we have the SAME ISSUE.  I cannot let the kid fall asleep for even 5 minutes, or he'll be up till 10pm.  I feel so bad, because I can see him getting sleepy during the day, but oh my goodness, the 10pm+ bedtime is even worse.  I can only hope he grows out of it soon.  (And it's also crazy to me, because I *enforced* nap time with my oldest 2 kids all the way until my oldest started Kindergarten at 6yo.  But I haven't let my 3.5yo have a nap in the past year, if I could help it!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katico View Post

I rarely wipe for just pee.  I use a wet washcloth a couple of times/day to keep her fresh and for poop but that's it. 

Same here, though if it's been a whole day with no poop I'll just do one wipe-down at the end of the day.  I've never had issues with diaper rash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulmoon View Post

livacreature I don't think what you did was CIO at all. Sometimes you have to try to save your sanity. I think when babies get that worked up, anyway, they may not even register whether you're responding sensitively to them or just ignoring them. I had to adjust my expectations for myself in that regard because I was getting anxious and depressed from trying to keep these unattainable ideals. Babies will cry, and it's okay.

Well, I'm returning to work this Saturday. It's only a single Saturday shift for now, but I'm a bit worried because DD still won't accept a bottle very easily. We've only succeeded in getting her to accept the bottle twice. The last time she took it only after she missed a few feedings and only drank a 1/2 ounce or so. Needless to say, DD and I never been apart for more than a few hours either, so it'll be a big adjustment.

Ditto on the CIO topic.  Sometimes babies just seem to need to cry, and if all you can do is hold them (and maybe even cry along with them!), then that's all they need.  As long as they know they haven't been abandoned, I think they're good to go.  And honestly, on my 4th baby here, poor Malcolm has been left to cry longer than my other babies at times, because he decides to wake up from a nap when I really *cannot* come and get him.  I hate to hear him scream and scream ("I neeeeeeeed you mom!!"), and when I finally get to him he's got tears running down his face... but I pick him up and he's forgiven me instantly, greeting me with the biggest smile you've ever seen.  I love babies for their forgiveness.  :)

beautifulmoon:  Good luck with going back to work!  Hope the babe takes the bottle easily.  I haven't tried bottles since my 2nd absolutely refused them.  It was just too stressful.  But then, I've never been in a situation where my baby NEEDS to take a bottle, either.  I really do hope it goes smoothly for you all!  (And as a side note, heard MIL talking to her sister on the phone, and her sister was incredulous that some baby (unknown age to me) wouldn't take a bottle or a sippy cup at all.  I'm a little surprised MIL hasn't pressed the issue with me.  Though, if she started asking, I'd probably just honestly say that I don't have a pump and don't care to spend the money/time on one when I can just as easily take him wherever I need to go and nurse on demand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trinket90 View Post
But OMG. The man cold is in full swing. He's SO pathetic.  Getting in bed tonight he's making sound effects to illustrate that he's cold under his blankets, and then he told me (I kid you not) that he THOUGHT HE MIGHT DIE FROM IT. Oh yeah, die from the same thing I took care of the newborn with for three days? Cuss.gif

I HATE man colds.  I want to throttle my DH every time he gets sick.  I feel for ya, I do.

AFM,  Oy.  My older 2 boys have been driving me CRAZY the past couple days.  They're suddenly throwing tantrums (full-blown, scream-your-head-off, flail-your-body, embarrass-your-parents-to-death TANTRUMS) over the most ridiculous things.  What a scene they're making!  I feel so mortified, because they're doing it in public places.  The best I can do is to calmly (as much as possible) carry them out of the area to someplace quiet, but I feel like everyone who's run into me in the past 24 hours must think my boys are completely spoiled brats.  But seriously, I have no clue what to do about their tantrums.  Just refuse to give into their demands, I guess.  I just wish I knew a way to prevent them.  I don't see any other 6yo's (and mostly no almost-4yo's, either!) throwing tantrums.  Gah. I feel like a deer in the headlights every time they do this. 

Malcolm started getting a runny nose last night.  Yay for 3rd cold of his short life.  And today he started drooling like crazy.  Is there anything that can cause drooling besides teething?  Please tell me he's not teething yet!!  I've never had to experience it this soon....

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

Old 01-03-2012, 06:51 AM

naps/sleep - naps and bedtimes: IME so far, kids have really different sleep needs. I am big believer that kids need a lot of sleep, and regular sleep, and I think there are a lot of sleep deprived kids (and adults) out there. but my two olders are very different! DD1 (who is 2y8m) is starting to drop he nap and I am not encouraging it. Without a nap, she goes to sleep at 7PM and wakes at 6 o 6:30. With a nap of 1.5 hours, she goes to sleep anywhere between 8:30 and 10 and still wakes at 6 or 6:30. Which means, she basically gets LESS total sleep if she naps. My son (now 7) was a solid napper until he was 4- 2 hours every afternoon, with an 8PM bedtime. He still napped frequently until he was 5. He and DD sleep a similar amount now, despite very different ages (last night he slept 7:30p-6:15a). He just needs more sleep! DD1 is also more flexible- she can handle some variance in bedtime. DS no. We'll see what the baby is like when she is old enough to be like anything...

anyway, I am having a hard time keeping up here, as usual. But hugs to everyone,

crying- And yes, sometimes babies are crying and you just can't make them stop. And since this is #3 for me... yeah, she cries more often than the others did where I just can't leap to comfort her. She is never alone and never left to cry in a punitive way or anything, but heck, I have a lot of kids who all need me and she sometimes fusses for a bit. IDK. That is just how life is.

wiping- I mostly use some TP when I catch the pees in the toilet, and otherwise wipe if it seems necessary. poop goes almost always in the potty and I wipe with TP and then usually just wash her bum in warm running water in the sink. None of my kids have ever had diaper rash, but I also just count myself lucky on that score.

alright! HAVE to get the apt tidied a bit and dishes done, DD1 has a playdate and they are going to the park but then coming back here, b.c its COLD outside today. Winter is really underway I think.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:53 AM

Leahs my 7yo totally has tantrums though he does it at home, not in public. I know of at least one of his friends who does the same. IME its usually related to something else- like getting sick, being overtired/stimulated/whatever. But he is also a bit of a drama king and just easily and very dramatically frustrated. Argh. WAY easier said than done, for me, to keep my cool.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:10 AM

man cold - UGH!!! Last week when I was SOOOO sick dh was great but then we got in a big argument one day when he quipped "maybe you'll remember this next time I'm sick". Seriously? The last time he was sick was for almost 6 weeks right after dd was born & for huge chunks of that time I asked NOTHING of him & let him sleep ALONE, UNDISTURBED for hours!!!! I think that's a hell of a lot better than bringing someone tylenol occasionally. Sheesh! Last week I got ONE two hour sleep completely alone (I am one of those people who most definitely sleeps better alone but I rarely get to anymore so I consider a huge luxury).

sleep - so glad ds is not the only one! Emma - ds is like your dd, with a nap he can actually end up with less sleep than without one. The kicker - last night he finally fell asleep just before 11 & then woke up at 1:30 & was up for almost 2 hours!! WTF?! I have a lot of hope placed in dd that she can prove to the world it's not my fault he's not a great sleeper!!!

It is COOOOOLD here today. Think we'll be spending the day in the house for sure!

Old 01-03-2012, 07:18 AM

tantrums- my just 5 yr old just started these. He does them at home and in public and they carry on for ages. My oldest did this as well and we just have to see it through. IT WILL PASS!

crying- it is not cio if you are there comforting their child. It is their chose if they choose to be comforted or keep screaming. Sometimes crying is what they need. This being my 5th I might not be able to meet her needs right away but someone usually does although all of my kids have had to cry more than my first. Just the nature of things.

wiping- we wipe with toilet paper for catches on the toilet. If i am not near something to wipe with I air dry her for a second.

changing- I was surprised by the suggestion to change a heavy wetter every 3 hours!!! I didn't ec till my 4th kid but have always used cloth and change when it gets wet (my kids never liked a wet diaper). After ecing I realize my kids pee A LOT. dd2 has learned to hold it for several house but then will fill the little potty up 1/4 full and she is only 11 weeks. I personally think 3 hrs is way to long even for a light wetter. Even if the diaper is absorbing it and it isn't leaking the baby is sitting in their own pee. I wouldn't want to sit in my own pee. Just my take on it.

nap/sleep- my ds3 can not take a nap or he is up all night (he is 5). dd1 sleeps every single day. (she still gets to nurse before nap so reminds me). I find that when dd2 sleeps well during the day nights are good but not well during the day makes a long nap. All of my kids have been like that, kind of counter to what you would expect.

man colds- they suck!!! Makes me so resentful.

AFM- we went skiing yesterday and had a blast. Saphira fell sound asleep as soon as I got on the chair lift and slept all morning and I woke her to take her potty and nurse her while I was having lunch and then she slept again all afternoon. She must have loved the motion (very soothing I guess).

My ds3 and dd1 got put in the wrong classes so they just putzed around the kiddie area all day (once i found out they issued me a refund immediately but it was still so frustrating) they had a blast though so that is what counts.

Ugg christmas/new years is over I need to take down my tree/decorations and clean my house really bad and the kids don't go back to school till wed/thur. Maybe we can get it done fri?

Hope everyone and their babies are doing well. I just can't get enough of my lo! She doesn't smile very often but when she does it is oh so rewarding! Did I mention I AM IN LOVE :)!

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Old 01-03-2012, 07:45 AM

Happy New Year!  We spent NYE at a cabin with old friends.  DD1 had an older friend to play with & they were so awesome together.  I hope someday DD1 & DD2 can keep each other so entertained.  We had a great time.  Yesterday I babysat a friend's 2 year old boy so they could go to the movies.  The kid NEVER SITS STILL unless he's eating!  It was pretty amazing.  And loud winky.gif  This is the same friend who is going to watch the baby while I'm back at work for a few weeks.  She partly wants to do it to see if she can handle having a second kid orngtongue.gif  I am dreading going back to work.  I don't want to go!  But it's only temporary.  Today DD1 went back to school, which is a relief for me and makes her happy, too. 

tummy time I've never made much of a point of it.  DD is pretty strong. She could hold her head up at birth & could support her weight on her feet by 2-3 weeks. She fooled the Dr, who thought she must be getting lots of tummy based on how well she's already pushing up.  I do nurse her laying pretty much flat on my back sometimes, so that gives her some tummy time I think.  I mostly only wear her outside of the house, but I hold her sitting upright a fair amount as well. 

wiping I sometimes wipe pee, sometimes not.  She only gets rashy if she sits in a poo for more than a minute, but we've had good results with CJ's butter stick.  Apply 1x and it's gone.  I did forget to wipe some of her thigh crease for a while and it got pretty funky. Won't make that mistake again!

changing with prefolds we change AT LEAST every 2 hours, but with the BGs we can go slightly longer.  We do those overnight with extra stuffing.  They're discontinuing last year's prints of the BG 4.0s and I treated myself to some new dipes (buy 2 get 1 free). They're super cute.

naps DD1 only naps at school or in the car.  Occasionally for DH when I'm not around.  Sigh.

colds  the baby has her 2nd cold.  It's a little worse than the 1st.  Saline up the nose, eh?  Can I just use neti pot salt to make my own?

Off to weigh the baby.  Fingers crossed.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:34 AM

This thread sure is moving fast!

Naps/Sleep - The length of DS's naps now (as a 3 yr old) don't really impact when he goes to bed and wakes up the next day.  He could wake up from a 2.5 hour nap and go back to bed 3 hours later and wake up at his normal time pretty much.  When he was younger we had the problem of falling asleep during car rides before his nap time.  If he slept for just the last few minutes of a car ride, he would think he was done napping for the day - sooo aggravating.  As a baby and toddler he was not really a long napper.  I was so envious of moms whose kids slept 1.5-3 hours at a time.  We were lucky if he'd sleep for 1 hour straight.  Usually it was more like 45 minutes at a time.

My Sleep Revelation...needs to be retracted, I think greensad.gif.  Last two night we got in bed earlier (by 9:45 last night) and DD woke up after only about 3-3.5 hours both nights.  And then would wake up again 3-4 hours later.

CIO - Not CIO, livacreature.  I worried about that, too, with DS, but came to realize that, as other moms said, sometimes there's nothing you can do but be there. 

Wiping - We do blot with a damp wipe at each diaper change...more than blot if there's a poop situation, obviously.  No rash issues yet, but I think DS didn't really have rash issues until he started solids.

Pinterest - I'd heard of, but never seen the site before.  Looks interesting...what's the purpose exactly?

Colds - DS seems to be finally getting over his cold..but just started back to preschool today.  I'm hoping he can remain healthy throught the next few weeks cuz we're applying for schools for him for next year and he has two visit days this month.  I want him to be happy, healthy and all about presenting his "best self."  DD just has always sounded congested...it kinda comes and goes over the course of the day, and I've been assuming some of it is just about massive amounts of saliva.  But a couple times the other day I noticed a little drip of mucus coming out of one nostril (always when DH has been holding her for a while...)

theboysmama - Happy to hear you're still in love...(could it be any other way? love.gif).  You've got way more kids than I do, but I did find that this time around I was in love right away, whereas, with DS (my first) I didn't really feel "In Love" until after several months went by.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

Old 01-03-2012, 11:23 AM

pinterest - I've used it to essentially replace my bookmarks. I like that I can open & look at a pic of everything I'd like to try - it's a better memory jog than the list of bookmarks was (I was forever having to open a whole bunch of bookmarks to find the one I wanted). It's also kind of fun to see what other people are up to & "steal" their ideas. I am actually even finding I am putting into action some of the ideas I see online for a change (instead of bookmarking & forgetting them).

Old 01-03-2012, 11:33 AM

tank good luck with the first day of work! I hope it goes well for you. I keep telling myself that it will be nice to get out of the house and away from baby care for x hours.

I'm hoping she'll use the bottle when there are no alternatives. My MIL said that once she had to leave my SIL with a neighbor in an emergency and SIL (as a baby) just cried the entire time she was gone. Wouldn't take the bottle. So with my DP, she fed him jello water in a bottle to make sure he would accept it. I won't be trying that!

wiping Wow, I'm surprised that no one wipes every time. That's good to know, though, cause it seemed so unnecessary to me, but I didn't want her to feel sticky or uncomfortable when I change her. I need to make an effort to change her more regularly, but I lose track of time.

naps I see my future in reading about these napping toddlers. I had no idea pre-baby that sleep would occupy so much of my parenting worries and duties.

man cold DP thinks he's stoic about sickness as he is in most other areas of life, but nope. What is it about men that makes them crumble in the face of a sniffle? But that's okay for me. My nurturing side comes out when people are sick. 

gotta go. baby time.

User Tag List