Chat Thread: Jan 9 - Someone Starts a New One - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 237 Old 01-13-2012, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Feel better quickly beautiful moon - our cold is on week 3 - sigh.

Dd pooped on the toilet last night!!! I am finding trying to catch her eliminations kind of fun!

Ok, so I'm starting to get some fairly good sleep - generally I can count on 7-8 hours with 1 or 2 interruptions but wow am I ever having a hard time waking up in the morning. Honestly, I almost feel drugged I am having such a hard time waking up. It happened yesterday afternoon when I fell asleep with dd for a nap. Thank goodness ds was just playing nicely but although I knew what he was doing I just could not seem to shake myself awake to actually be present - luckily dh works from home & was just coming up.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 237 Old 01-13-2012, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any other babies having an epic growth spurt? I assume that is what my 14 week old DD is doing. She was up every hour the last two nights to eat, and ate a good amount each time. She usually sleeps through the night, so this has been a surprise. And she is refusing to nap, making for an extra tired baby. I read that the disturbance in sleep patterns can also point to a growth spurt. I figure in a couple days her clothes won't fit based on how much she is eating!

#33 of 237 Old 01-13-2012, 11:39 AM

BIA

Diabetes:  I have so much respect for mamas who have to cope with an illness or disability on top of taking care of little people.  It can be so hard to find time to shower or have a cup of tea for yourself - to find the time you need to really TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF...well, I think you're amazing.  Hugs to you both. 

Bedtime routine:  Not yet, really...I mean, we have a routine - she is usually ready to be settled in for the night around 11 or 11:30 so that's when I do jammies, final bottle, swaddle. Then she sleeps until about 8am, waking once around 4am for a bottle. But we haven't been doing anything else...I've been trying to make DD1's bedtime really consistent lately so I've been focused on that, I guess.

Reading stories while nursing?  I forget who asked this - how to read a book/nurse.  I would memorize a few easy, rhymey, lovey dovey books (or just nursery rhymes) and tell them to the baby while feeding.  They don't care about the pictures yet anyway - it's all about the cadence of your voice, the rhymes, the vocabulary...and, you're setting a placemarker for books in your routine when they do care.  Besides, you'll memorize them soon enough, might as well start now, haha.  DD1's favourite from VERY young was Dr Seuss' ABCs and I can't tell you how  many times receiting that has saved me from a meltdown...in the car, in dressing rooms....

Rosemary's Living Room: it's just lovely!  And you make me realize just how badly we need some real, grown up furniture!  And a rug!  So nice

theboysmama:  I think it's so cool your son wants to be a chef! Lucky you to have someone in the house who loves to cook and can do it himself!

Conception anniversaries:  isn't it wild that a year ago we were all newly pregnant or about to be?  Amazing!

Spending money on ourselves:  Glad you had to go shopping Trinket - sometimes we need to be forced to do it, eh?  I had a hard time spending money on myself when I first stayed home after DD1 was born - felt weird spending money when I wasn't making any.  I'm over it now, haha.  I find it really nice to have enough decent things to wear - it's so easy to let yourself let it all go and loaf around in holey pajamas when you're home with little people all day.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post

Katico: Hugs mama.  Remind me, you're the one who feels huge pressure to have it all together and everything looking wonderful, right?  Me too.  Having the added obsession of having everything look just so and be just so is huge when many folks are content with letting things slide when their babies are tiny.  I'd love to tell you to ease up and give yourself a break, but if you're like me, then that would actually make things worse.  I *need* to have a tidy, clutter-free house in order to feel okay being in the world.  Weird, yes, but it's a fact.  When we were preparing for this baby, my partner said, "what are you going to let go in order to get the extra time you need to manage?"  Funny question, but it did get me thinking.  So now I don't fold underwear.  And I don't stress if all the cloth diapers are dirty and I need to use a sposie or two.  And I clean the bathroom less often.  Over the holidays, we didn't do our annual gingerbread gifting, and I let my partner wrap presents (*gasp!!!*) and we declined hosting Christmas dinner for the first time ever.  But I knew that if it wasn't 'perfect' then it wasn't worth the stress.  Bah, rambling now.  Be gentle with yourself

Yes, yes, yes, yes.  This is me, absolutely,  I don't DO letting it slide...I can't.  I get major anxiety when the house is a mess, I can't relax or function.  Even a little untidyness, something out of place...It's like it's all I can see in the room and I have to go fix it.  I need the house to be organized and tidy. Things need to look a certain way, right down to very small details.  My kids have to be well dressed and matched even if there is no way we're going anywhere.   I like to do things from scratch.  I don't judge other people when they don't do these things (I envy them a little) but it's just non negotiable for me.

A friend came for a visit with her new baby just after xmas.  She called and wondered if they could pop in.  Me, with two sick kids and sick myself, hustled both kids into perfect outfits and cleaned the living room, all in approx 20 minutes.  She arrives with her baby in PAJAMAS!  He was over 1 month old and she told me she hadn't dressed him in anything else yet!  I was gobsmacked.  Not in a horrified way...but in a "omg, that is so....relaxed!  That must be AWESOME!"  That just seemed so NORMAL to me!

I know it's not healthy...but I don't know how to work on letting it go without making myself even crazier!  The whole "relax, stay in bed, you've just had a baby!" thing?  NO WAY!  Things have to be right!  I tried to be good this Christmas...I let the wrapping slide a lot, tried not to obsess about it being perfect...I didn't bake my usual 10 million cookies and deliver them to everyone we know...this is progress, right? I've been trying to ease up on the constant tidying (oh, the tidying up behind a toddler....endless) and just do it once or twice a day.  And trying to force myself to take a little time for my knitting or reading, or anything first, instead of cleaning something.

And honestly...I need to start getting help with a few things.  DH is literally almost never home.  And does almost nothing in the way of household work - he mows the lawn...when he gets to it...which isn't often enough.  I am killing myself keeping everything perfect...I am resolving to hire help with snow shovelling and the lawn/garden in the spring.  I weed whack at ridiculous hours at night because DD1 would finally be asleep and I could go out and do it alone/safely.  So ridiculous.  And I will be hiring a babysitter for a standing time on the weekends.  I went to the grocery store at 10pm Sunday night because it was the only time I could leave (both kids finally asleep, DH was home but working)  I need help.  And if I need to spend money to get it, so be it!  If DH is going to work too much to be my help than I will feel no guilt spending his money, haha

Trouble waking up:  YES!  This is me too, Lifeguard!  I have the worst time waking up when DD1 does.  I do feel almost drugged - I slur out sentences and fall right back asleep.  It's so strange after being so wakeful to her every peep for so long....now I don't hear her at all.  She often climbs into bed with us in the middle of the night and will make about 7 trips to bring in her stuffed animals, books, blanket etc and I don't hear a thing.  I wake to the baby's every peep now!  

growth spurt: holy hannah, yes!!  Claire is noticeably MUCH heavier in this past week.  Her cheeks and belly have grown and I feel like she's got all this extra heft all of a sudden. She was 14 lb last week before this started and I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find her close to 15lb now.  She eats and eats and eats!  The other night she ate 7oz, fell asleep for an hour and ate another 4oz!  This was after a day of eating 4-8 oz every 2 hours!

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#34 of 237 Old 01-13-2012, 12:27 PM

katico - sooooo glad I'm not the only one struggling with waking for the older. Ds must have spent 20 minutes cuddled with me this morning chatting my ear off. Poor kid.

I very much have perfectionist tendencies but really struggled with depression throughout my 20's. I literally had to learn how to sit on my hands & ignore the "mess" 'cause I was literally making myself sick. I could clean the kitchen for hours & still not be happy with it. But then I kind of slid too far the other way. I HATE having people to our house 'cause it feels so impossible to get it to a point I am content with. Finding that balance is so hard.

#35 of 237 Old 01-13-2012, 12:32 PM

Katico: I think it is great that  you will hire help! Do it Mama! Especially since your DH works so much!

Growth Spurt: yes! The last several nights Maeve has been up nursing so much more. I finally got around to washing some of her wool covers. They fit last week... they don't fit this week. Not sure what she weighs but the girl is growing!

Steph: Meant to say great news about your Dad! Also, so great to finally let your MIL know how you feel. Good job Mama!

We are loving all the baby chatter over here. She talks and coos at us for hours! Love love love it!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#36 of 237 Old 01-13-2012, 01:12 PM

One other thing... I'm actually wondering if this sudden bout of feeling overwhelmed/overly emotional may actually be hormonal.  I mean, things haven't been THAT terrible....tired, sick and home 24/7 with two littles, yes.....but that's nothing really new.  The weepiness? being quick to feel angry?  these are SO not me.  Then it occurred to me that I had been having CRAZY dreams too - something that always happened to me during the end of my cycle.  And THEN it occurred to me that duh, I just started back on the pill this month.  So yes, things have been a bit extra crazy but I "should" be coping better than I have....maybe/probably, it's just the new hormonal situation.  Hopefully, and hopefully it settles down!!  Has this happened to anyone else?

(This thread is starting to feel like Beth's Therapy, sorry lol.gif.....We now return to your regular programming...)

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#37 of 237 Old 01-13-2012, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Sleepy Mama - A big YES to be totally exhausted every morning, regardless of how "well" I slept.

UnSleepy Kid - It's after 5pm and DS has been in his room for nap for two hours...and still isn't asleep.  He's coughing, sneezing and has gotten up at least 4 times to "go potty" - the first two times were justified...a good size pee and then a poop (even though he had a big poop about 4 hours earlier.  ARGH!

Baby & Daddy/Partner - I was looking through my journal-type thing where I've jotted things down about DS since he was born (or actually before he was born).  I was just reading how month 3-5 he was "anti-daddy."  Lo and behold, right on schedule DD seems to be settling into a similar pattern.  I don't quite remember how it manifested with DS, but with DD it's just that she's must more readily comforted by me (even when I don't whip out the boob) than DH.  She'll just get herself more and more worked up with DH.

DS is all upset now..."I can't sleep!"   gotta go.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#38 of 237 Old 01-13-2012, 06:46 PM

EC is totally fun (but easy to get too attached to "success" in my experience anyway)

Katico- get the help. Its worth it.

dissertating mom to three

#39 of 237 Old 01-13-2012, 06:49 PM

oh and apparently I have to "recertify" for medicaid even though it had only been 9 months since I last applied. Nobody at the office knew why. And then, the letter from my husband's employer- from late November- was not recent enough to use. SIGH. Have to get back there before the end of the month and they can recertify the same day... blah. And then the coverage will be retroactive. So I guess it will all be ok but still kind of stressful.

#40 of 237 Old 01-13-2012, 09:24 PM
~pi

emmaegbert, that is so annoying. Ugh, paperwork.

Katico, hey, it's cheaper than therapy.

beautifulmoon and lifeguard, get well soon!

growth spurt: For the love of mike, if this isn't a growth spurt someone please shoot me now. So much nursing! So much poop! How can one baby body handle it all?

hormones: We've had a rough week, sleep-wise, so I'm not sure if it's that or hormones, but yes on the extra weepy right now.

pyjamas: I think I've put the baby in an outfit maybe a dozen times total? I am a big believer in pyjamas for general baby wear.

baby chatter: Yes. This and the smiling are balancing out the lack of sleep and sense of being a chew toy.

Speaking of chew toy, babe is sliding off my nipples a lot. Rather than unlatching, he just turns his head quickly and basically slides off. DO NOT LIKE.

I had a brutal day today (such a Friday the 13th) -- among other things, I sent a crying DS1 to school, because I didn't believe him when he said that it was a professional development day and there was no school. He was right. Please put my mom of the year award in the mail. But the day is over, and now I can go to sleep, at least until DS2 wakes to nurse AGAIN.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#41 of 237 Old 01-13-2012, 10:11 PM

pi - awww, poor ds. Don't they give out calendars anymore for the fridge? Hope the night goes well for you.

pj's - yeah, there are sooooo many clothes dd never wore before she outgrew them 'cause pretty much all I put her in is sleepers. We were given a ridiculous amount of clothing - such a waste.

emma - what a nuisance - at least it is fixable though.

ec - oy, this may be a bad thing for me. I totally get a kick out of catching a pee or poop but then this evening I went next door to mil's house to watch a show I had saved (she has satellite but we do not & she wasn't home) but the house was FREEZING 'cause the fire had been out all day so when dd needed to poop I felt it was too cold to strip her down to her bottom over the toilet ('cause the bathroom was even colder!) & then I felt really guilty. We'll keep playing with it though - totally love not changing poopy dipes.

hormonal mamas  - I was figuring that the 3 months of not sleeping enough is just majorly catching up with me.

afm - ok, so ds went through that awful, tantrumy, defiant bit when dd was first born but he is back to being himself now but I think he has upped the ante when it comes to cute!!! Today he was just the sweetest thing. This morning he brought all his blankets & toys & books out to the livingroom where dd was wiggling on the floor & tucked her up & read stories to her (amazing how well he knows the stories!). Then this afternoon he went out to the workshop with dh while he & the neighbour worked on the neighbour's atv & apparently was chatty & helpful & spent a lot of timing hammering nails into a board. This evening he went into the bathroom to fill up the watering can & didn't come out. He likes to play in the bathroom sink so I didn't pay much attention but when dh went in to see he had squeezed out an entire tube of toothpaste onto the outside of the watering can & was scrubbing it with my toothbrush. I know some would say that was naughty but I thought it was darn cute - he kept it all in the sink & was darn proud of having cleaned that watering can so well! LOVE having my little boy back - the fall was such a rough time for us.

#42 of 237 Old 01-14-2012, 10:14 AM

Pi: My dad did the same thing when I was little.  I think I was in first grade, my brother and I told him we didn't have school, he dropped us off in front, drove off to make deliveries!  There was a very unhappy librarian (at him), but we got to help reshelve books and have hot chocolate while we waited for them to track him down.  The difference a cell phone would have made!  Aurora does that twist and slide when nursing too.  Hurts like a---I believe this is where she will pick up most colorful language in early childhood!

Lifeguard: I love it.  That is cute.

Clothes: We did a lot of pajamas at first.  Now that she is in the harness, I stick her in a blanket bag most of the time when we are at home.  My house is about 100 years old and has some of the original windows...it gets drafty!!!!  For legs of pajamas to work, they have to be a couple sizes too big.  I miss being able to use pants.  I love baby pants.

State of the house: I'm not a super organized person.  No, not true.  I can stretch my time six ways to Sunday and never drop the ball.  Laundry making it into the basket or dishes being done right way?  That is an area I struggle with.  Don't get me wrong, our house is reasonably clean for two adults, three cats, a dog, and a baby! ;)  I try really hard to set aside thirty minutes a day to do chores and keep the house from getting messy looking.  We also do no do clutter.  I like to keep the house very simple, less to dust!

AFM: Cloth diapering is going awesome.  DH loves it, I love it...Aurora doesn't give two figs, but two out of three isn't bad!  I'm so glad she finally grew into the things.  She is starting to look much sturdier.  We have another orthopedist appointment next week, then will have an ultrasound a week or two later.  If that looks good, we can drop down to nighttime harness use. (And people can stop asking "what is wrong with her?" before telling me how adorable she is).  We're in a good happy medium with the feeding thing.  I've talked myself out of feeling guilty over some formula.  Milk production is not a reflection of my parenting, (yeah, I might have this taped to my pump) and she is doing just fine mixing it up a bit. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping baby folds dry?  The way her legs are positioned in the harness, her upper thighs and belly form a fold that is kept 'closed' all day.  It gets pretty red and gross.  I've tried butt paste, corn starch, baby powder, a awesome chamomile and lavendar salve that I don't know what else is in there, a&d, and desotin.  Nothing has seemed to help.  I wash it out daily and dry it well.  It just looks so painful.  It doesn't seem to bother her, she doesn't mind it being cleaned.

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#43 of 237 Old 01-14-2012, 10:41 AM

livacreature - dd has the same thing in her neck folds, I have yet to find anything that cures it - cleaning, drying & butt vream keep the stench & redness to a minimum.

#44 of 237 Old 01-14-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Just want to say I hate preschool.  Only because DS is always sick now.  He had a bad cold several weeks ago that lasted forever.  It finally went away and he was ok for maybe a week tops and then got a stomach thing last weekend.  Was ok for the first part of the week, then started to get a cough.  Now he has a majorly junky cough and runny nose and fever.  C'mon already!!  This is a kid who got maybe 2 colds a year and maybe one short-lived tummy thing a year...until he started preschool.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#45 of 237 Old 01-14-2012, 03:23 PM
~pi

lifeguard, they do give the calendars, and then I put it into our google calendar. I just somehow missed that one. duh.gif Your DS sounds delightful. I'm so glad he is back to himself!

livacreature, we don't attempt to keep folds dry, but if they look irritated, we air them out if possible, and if not (which is usually the case with our roly-poly babies) we put calendula oil in them. I'm sure any sort of oil would help. With DS1, we used plain olive oil. It worked equally well, I just like the smell of the calendula oil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by livacreature View Post

Milk production is not a reflection of my parenting, (yeah, I might have this taped to my pump)

That is awesome.

not_telling, I saw some research once that kids go through about a year of more frequent illnesses if/when they start some sort of group setting (daycare, preschool, or school.) But once they've gotten through that year, they won't have it again, so the kids who went through it in daycare or preschool won't get sick nearly as often in kindergarten. DS1 had a lot more illnesses the year he started at a daycare center, but since then, he's been very healthy. DS2, on the other hand, seems to be getting his year in now, probably thanks to having an older disease vector brother who goes to a germ factory school every day.

#46 of 237 Old 01-14-2012, 04:04 PM

livacreature Maybe try calendula cream, like Pi said? I use the California Baby calendula cream. Great reviews, and works on my daughter.

lifeguard So nice that you can enjoy your son again!

3-4 mo. anti dad Yes, DD definitely prefers me now. I tell DP that it's because I do more to comfort her or maybe it's just the age. I feel bad for him, but if he wanted to wake up several times a night to feed her and basically hold her all day, he'd probably win her over too. 

Pi Sounds like it was probably a hectic day for you.

not telling I'm finding out that babies get sick a lot. DD is sick, and I'm laying the guilt trip on DP enough so that he won't invite his friends over when they're sick again.

AFM: DD took a bottle today! 2 oz of breastmilk. Not enough, but enough to tide her over.

#47 of 237 Old 01-15-2012, 04:36 AM

Hey everyone, reading along and will hopefully have time later today to reply to everything I want to. Landon is really giving me a hard time at night/early morning. He has decided, as of 3 days ago, that we should be up and start our day by 5. Which sucks. He is also getting up to eat at once or twice before then. This mama is very sleep deprived greensad.gif if I wasn't working full-time it wouldn't bother me, but I am.

Chelsea, loving mama to Landon, born 11/3

#48 of 237 Old 01-15-2012, 07:36 AM

chelsea- so sorry you are having a hard time. My first was like that (and I was working as a nanny as well) it was exhausting!!!  What i did to break him of the habbit was keep it dark, DO NOT turn on any lights, do not get up. Just lounge in bed and nurse till a certain time (you pick) and then that is when the day starts. If you set that tone now it will be a lot easier than if you wait until he is mobile. It took a while but evenentually he started going back to sleep and then stopped waking till 6:30 or 7 (which is when he gets up now).

leg rolls- my kids have never had them. Skinny little chickens over here. :)

anti-dad- all of my boys were like that starting about 3 months but both of my girls were thrilled with their dad. Makes it nice for me :)

not-telling- my experience is that after about the first 6months to a year they are good. I personally would rather they be sick in pre-school then elementary. Then the olders bring it home to the youngers and then they are all set for school too. It won't be like this forever although it feels that way.

lifeguard- that is one clean watering can :) glad you got your boy backthumb.gif

livacreature- glad you are loving the cloth diapers. We have been doing it for almost 10 yrs and wouldn't have it any other way.

Steph- so glad about your dad. What a huge huge relief that must be for you.

Beth- sorry you are having a hard time. You really will mesh into a routine at some point. Something will have to give and you can pic what it is. (frozen dinner a couple of times a week, not folding the undies, etc.) That will help you a lot, I promise. I am not a clean freak so I know this wouldn't work for you but for me the laundry doesn't get folded right away. It used to and I just couldn't do it any more. Being ok with that too a while but has really helped me not to be so stressed out.

I do love that my son wants to be a chef. He is getting better and better and can cook quite a few things independantly. Scrambled eggs for everyone yesterday morning, and he cleaned up after himself:).

EC- it is fun but when I started with my dd1 I really focussed to much on catches vs misses. I have no idea what we are doing now. We have lots of diapers so must be having lots of misses BUT are catching tons and tons so that is just the way it is. Not really worried about it at all. I find personally that once i have started the process I can't just do it sometimes my kids are sticklers and make me take them ( by throwing a huge fit) even if it is terribly inconvenient for me.

AFU- Saphira had her dr appt. on wed and I typed up a long post about it and then she started to poop so I jumped up to take her potty and ds (5) x'd out of my post "to keep it safe" ugggg.

She is a 12lbs 5 oz so had gained about 4 lbs since her lowest birth weight. She is tracking some of the time (he worked on it a while) so said that she doesn't need a vision screen but we will keep an eye on it and see her in 4-6 weeks. He is concerned about her hearing and she is scheduled for this wed. so we will see how that goes. Everything else looked good.

I am so in love with this lo. She is rolling from stomach to back every time we put her down (that is her way of getting rid of any tummy time). She is even showing interest in toys on ocassion. Sleeping lots (more than any of my other kids) which makes the 5 kids a lot more manageable. Moving into size 3m clothes and we have lots of fun dresses in that size so I can utilize my leg warmer stash. She still hasn't worn all of them yet.

We went to comic con on fri. and had an absolute blast. Dressed up as characters from avatar the last airbender and s was momo (a flying lemer). She was soooo cute. Our family won first prize in the costume contest. today I am taking the kids swimming for the first time since s was born. I can't find my solarveil sling anywhere. Not sure what I am going to do about that. It should be fun though.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#49 of 237 Old 01-15-2012, 10:31 PM
~pi

beautifulmoon, hooray for taking the bottle!

Chelsea, HUGS. I hope you can get some rest soon.

theboysmama, congrats on the prize!! That's fantastic!

#50 of 237 Old 01-16-2012, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Beth--I remember when I encountered people who kept their babies in pajamas during the daytime and I was stunned. Just like you, I was putting ds in outfits and didn't realize you could even do that. Now from time to time I leave Iona in a cute pair of jammies and it certainly does seem very natural. I am very sorry you're alone in your home-keeping. My dh is gone most of the day, too, and not only do we miss him, we just need his help with things. Can you show your husband that it is hard for you? I've just learned that I can do that, and he helps me much more because of it. Anyway, not to problem solve for you, just sorry this is such a rough time. 

Theboysmama--it is so cute that your son has a goal like being a chef. Love that! And congrats on the prize. 

pi--interesting about the research regarding preschool. That's somewhat reassuring. 

Chelsea--no rest is no good. Here's some advice: drink lots of water and nurse as much as you can, because getting worn down can bring on mastitis (so unfair, but it's true. That's how I got mine with DS.)

Sorry if I missed anybody!

AFM: I am at my parents' house for the long weekend because my dh is doing the mother-lode of work and is not able to help out with the kids. This happens twice a year. He is so lonely and misses us so much, it's pretty cute. Iona is sooo much easier for me now that she is approaching 3 months. It really is a turning point. However, it is so cold here, 5 degrees and much colder with the windchill, so we haven't gone out. I'm starting to get into a mental twirl. Perhaps I can get a walk by myself today...

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#51 of 237 Old 01-16-2012, 09:21 AM

who posted about the nursing "twist and slide"? I was coming by quickly in the middle of a busy day to ask if other babies are "biting" its SO ANNOYING and I don' recall my others doing it so young. They were old enough to sort of understand, at least, me saying STOP.

colds and school: yeah. I can say it was most dramatic with the first. the second, she is still nursing (which I think helps) and her exposure to other kids has been much more gradual, and yeah, she has an older sib/disease vector in the mix. But she was a spring baby and was 6 months before virus season started. This baby is getting everything from the get-go. I have read that early exposure to viruses and even actual dirt (like from playing in the dirt, or playing with pets) is associated with lower rates of allergies and sicknesses later in life. So, its an investment...

#52 of 237 Old 01-16-2012, 10:34 AM

jammies during the day- its funny because DS only wears his jammies while out because it is easier to change him in and they have built in feeties so no socks to loose.  At home he wears his outfits and to bed he wears a short sleeved shirt or onsie because he gets super sweaty in bed.

beautifulmoon- I am glad your lo took a bottle.  we are still working on it here but my DS is doing much better.  I have unexpectidly had this past week off but we have been working on the bottle everyday and I go into work on Wed so we shall see how much he takes.  Hopefully more than his last record of 4 oz.  We have SO much frozen breastmilk now that he hasn't kept up with eating when I am gone. 

I really think DS is teething. He is drooling like crazy and sucking on everything like a fiend and chewing up my nipples and refusing to eat and is super irritable.  I can't tell if his gums are swollen but I think I see that they are white on the bottom.  It's hard for me to check.  I just knew he would start early.

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#53 of 237 Old 01-16-2012, 07:03 PM

Housekeeping:  So I have been trying to think of what I can give up doing to lighten the load.  And, I actually concluded I need to do more.  Or be more effecient with what I do, I guess.  I'm pretty efficient and organized, I thought...but I started analyzing the things that drive me craziest because they're never done or neverending.  I've had a few major revelations that shouldn't have been revelations.  The best?  1) laying out everything I need for breakfast at night.  It takes 3 minutes at night, childfree to set out bowls and cereal, cut fruit, grind coffee, fill the kettle, etc.  It is so much harder to do all that in the morning with two hungry children in tow.  2) I feed DD1 ALL.DAY.LONG.  Seriously.  So I've started chopping extra every time.  Chop the whole block of cheese at once.  Make up an extra plate or two to refrigerate while I have everything out. Make her next snack before she asks for it and I have a moment 3) The best of all.  I am FOREVER carting loads of laundry up and down two stories.  And I never get a chance to put the girls' clothes away in their dressers.  And every morning I dig around in baskets for outfits for them.  And they only wear half of what they own. So, I realized that if I fold their laundry into outfits and put them in nice baskets DOWNSTAIRS, where I actually dress them after breakfast...DUH!!!  A dozen clean, complete outfits on hand, no carrying them up an extra flight of stairs, no rooting through piles, no running upstairs when someone needs a clean shirt!!!!  Life changing.  Haha.  

Why did it take so long for me to figure these things out???  If I can't give up my perfectionism I can at least make it easier on myself!

Speaking of Laundry... I know it's a given and a constant, especially when you CD, but holy hannah - I could literally do 3 or 4 loads a day, every day,  it seems.  We don't have a huge amount of clothes or linens, so I'm not really sure why that is!  Anyone have any brilliant strategies for me?  Doesn't help that DD2 is such a heavy wetter that I have a diaper load almost every day!!

Toddlers 'coming around - here too!  It's like once we potty trained she suddenly stopped fighting me on things like getting dressed, brushing teeth, washing hands etc.  So nice!!

Milk production is not a reflection of my parenting  Amen!!

3 months  is coming up and it really is such a time of major changes, isn't it?  Lots of chattering here, less spitting up, using her hands well - speaking of which, she is now able to rub her eyes when she's sleepy,..is there anything cuter than that?!

theboysmama glad to hear Saphira's appt went well without any major red flags - hope the results of her hearing tests come back problem-free!!

Photo books; I had been scrapbooking pictures since DD1's arrival but um, I take a LOT of pictures and the books are huge.  I need to switch over to digital and print photo books instead.  Does anyone do this?   I want good quality books with lots of design options, not surewhere to start!

AFM  it's super cold here so we've been stuck inside a lot.  I did insist DH keep the kids while I did groceries and errands alone this weekend - that helped my morale for sure! Feeling in control and capable again, thankfully.  Still having terrible, vivid nightmares all night every night though :(

#54 of 237 Old 01-16-2012, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

pajamas - i guess by "pajamas" most people mean those footed one-pieces?  i always have considered those daytime outfits since we put DS when he was a baby and now DD in gowns at night for super easy nighttime diaper changes.

theboysmama - glad the doctor visit went well...i know you'll keep us posted on the hearing screening.

katico - i think you came up with some really good ideas for yourself....they allow you to be who you are, but hopefully have an easier time of it.  i bet you'll discover some more great ideas as you start thinking through your day/week more.  setting out breakfast things the night before always reminds me of my grandmother.  when all us grandkids (just 4 of us) would stay with her, she'd set out the bowls and spoons and glasses and a big box of wheaties and a jar of honey the night before so we could serve ourselves in the morning.

3 months - DD will be 3 months tomorrow.   I said to DH the other day that I can't believe we're already half-way to introducing solids.  I got 2 more "beginning laughs" this evening...dying for more.

AFM - DS is still sick.  Lots of "productive" coughing (wish he'd actually cough stuff up....I get all nervous about festering, bacteria-ridden lung mucus), third day of fever, though not as high as saturday.  Keeping him home tomorrow, but hopefully he'll be back at school Thursday and can go to his next school visit, which is Saturday morning.  I was an impatient mama today with DS...lots of head butting.  Sigh....it's all so much easier when DH is home all day, too.  I'm very close to the end of reading Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close (it's been on  my list of books to read for a while....not sure I'll want to see Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock in a movie version, but I am curious about how much the movie will be like the book) - anyway, if you haven't read it, i do recommend.  Last night DH and I tried to watch a documentary that we had started about a week ago...For the Bible Tells Me So...about how bible literalists use the bible to promote/suppor their own homophobia (not anything I was unfamiliar with, but interesting to hear what the word "abomination" really means) and about the experiences of LGBT people who came from very religious families (at least some of whom were very religious themselves)...but DD kept fussing and we kept having to turn it off.  Maybe gonna try again tonight... 

#55 of 237 Old 01-16-2012, 08:07 PM

BIA

I think it's been about a week since I've posted any sort of update.  And of course, in that time, you've all been very chatty and I can't possibly comment on everything!

Baby outfits - If the weather is cool/cold, I automatically opt for the "pajamas" as you're all calling them, though I've never used them as pajamas.  For pajamas, I tend to use gowns, or onesies with a sleeping blanket/swaddling blanket.  Footed sleepers are just good sense for easy diaper changes + keeping baby warm, IMO.  I tend to dress them up in real "outfits" more when the weather is warm and I'm not worried about keeping baby warm.  Which makes spring babies much more fun for me.

Katico, I love your sensible solutions.  I tend to just roll with the punches and craziness, not really adapting very well.  I just lower my standards for life for several months, and simultaneously get stressed out a bit more.  It would make a lot more sense to make changes in my life, but I'm stubborn that way.  ;)

theboysmama - I would LOVE to see a picture of your ComicCon costumes.  Our whole family loves Airbender - and a baby Momo just sounds too adorable!

AFM.  A couple of social questions.  When we're out and about, I'm finding two situations that make me feel awkward and not sure how to reply.  Situation #1:  "Oh, your baby is so cute!"  "Baby is the most picture-perfect/angelic/precious baby ever!" etc.  While the person giving the praise is hovering and admiring for quite some time.  Do you say thank you to that?  Because that's my automatic response to compliments, but then it bothers my brain that I'm saying thank you like it's totally all because of my that my baby is cute (though really, I'm sure most everyone would say that about every baby), like I'm taking credit or something.  I tried answering "I think so, too!" several times, but that feels strange, too.  I don't know why this is just starting to bother me on my 4th child... maybe it's that I'm running into the comments more frequently than I have in the past?  Situation #2:  When I'm out and about with my older 2 in school, and it's just my 3yo and baby with me, I get so many people going something like, "Awww, he even has an older brother - how perfect!"  And again, my automatic response is to want to say something like, "Yeah, well, he's also got another older brother, and an older sister, too, but they're at school/with dad/etc. right now."  Seemed like I was throwing unneeded detail into people's observations/comments, but then, just saying "yup, it's pretty awesome" or some other acknowledgement seems dismissive of the older siblings not present.

Malcolm's very busy grabbing everything in reach lately.  He's also started rotating on the ground, so that he can turn a full 360 in a matter of minutes.  He's rolled onto his tummy a couple times, but more for the fact that he *can*, and less for wanting to.  Not a fan of being on his stomach, though he is getting much better at lifting his head up when he's there.  Also, he was fussy the other night while I was trying to quickly fold 3 loads of laundry and put it away before putting my kids in bed, and DD (8yo) was holding him and fretting about him not calming down for her, but I persisted in laundry and in making her continue trying, and she actually got him to fall asleep!  We were both so proud.  :)  (I have a future babysitter in the works, hooray!!)

So last time I posted, I mentioned DH would be getting a permanent job offer, to take him of temporary employment status.  Well, he got the offer, but it's completely disappointing and almost offensive.  He had a chat with his boss before they gave him an offer, and boss made some comment about his salary, like, "Oh, I thought you were making x amount of money already!", slightly shocked that he was getting less of the cut from what they were giving the temp agency.  So when he got the offer, it was 5K LESS than what his boss assumed was already making through the temp agency.  DH flat-out told them to come back with a better offer (it was seriously 20K less than what he was making at his lass job, waaaaay back before he got laid off, and with a less responsible position).  They upped it only 2K more, and said it was the absolute best they could do.  Kinda sucks.  We hoped as soon as he got the permanent job, we'd be able to start saving quickly for a house and get out of our 2-br apartment.  The new salary will only give him 7K more - just enough to put us out of qualification for things like free school lunches and WIC, and to stop pulling money out of savings to pay the bills each month, but not really enough to start saving anything but a small amount each month.  Sigh.  The hunt for a better job continues.  I am glad, however, that we'll finally have some GOOD insurance.  I've been constantly terrified of another emergency situation that would kill us financially, like DD's broken arm!

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#56 of 237 Old 01-16-2012, 09:27 PM

photos - I switched to digital scrapbooking when ds was born. I use the Creative Memories software & then print (usually at Costco) the pages as a 12x12 photo & put into my scrapbooks. In theory I could then do both digital & paper at the same time but I haven't been organized enough to do so. I like the digital 'cause I can do it while bfing.

leiahs - social sit #1 - I usually say "We think so!" or "Yeah, she's a keeper." #2 - not sure. Sorry your dh's job offer was not what you were hoping for.

laundry - absolutely neverending. I am finding it so much more work than when I could put it out on the line - I just had a better system for that.

#57 of 237 Old 01-16-2012, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Phew!  You mamas are busy on here! 

I can't possibly catch up since my last post, so I'm just going to jump in here, if that's okay ...

Pajamas ... We don't have a lot of clothes (part of my KISS strategy for life) so I put the baby in whatever is clean and comfortable.  But that's mostly cotton shirts and cotton pants, along with leg warmers and padraig slippers.  I don't put him in a lot of sleepers for the day, if only because I don't know how to keep his feet warm with them.  His feet are warmest in the padraigs, so he wears those all day, and then when I dress him for the night, I put him in a sleeper then.  My three-year-old often wears her pajamas out on the town.  Also part of my KISS approach.  I don't argue with her about clothes.  Ever.  Or jackets.  Ever.  I do insist on some kind of footwear, but I don't care what kind.  She's definitely got a look of her own when we go out (think feather boa, rainbow wool sweater, purple velour pants, mismatched socks, yellow rainboots with trucks on them, pumpkin hat, and her precious backpack and her face painted like a butterfly), but then we live in a very crunchy part of the city, and she fits right in. 

Photo books ... Katico, I've done photo books with blurb and shutterfly.  I far prefer shutterfly.  It was waaaay cheaper, and fast to upload, plus they had lots of different page arrangements and layouts,  and it was easy to organize and looked beautiful!  We do a book each year, and give a copy to the grandparents and aunties too. 

leiahs ... I say, "I'm quite fond of her,"  or "I think so too."  Or, "That's sweet of you to say."  I try very hard not to say thank you.  If I do say thank you, I laugh a little inside, considering I don't share any genetic material with my kids (donor embryo).  And what a bummer about your dh's job offer.  How frustrating. 

laundry ... See above regarding a limited amount of clothing for the kids.  We all have about four days worth of clothing.  The kids share a small dresser, and dp and I share a small closet.  So family clothing isn't such a big deal, but by God, the diapers!!!  We don't have a washer or dryer of our own, and have to go to the far end of the co-op complex to the shared laundry there.  Each load costs seventy-five cents, and I do a cold 'soak' (full wash on delicate because there is no soak option on these machines) and then a hot wash and then I dry them in the dryer.  Pricey!!!  I'm actually very frustrated about how much money I spend on washing diapers.

Social situations ... I can't stand it when people comment on my boy/girl combo as being "perfect," or "a matching set," or the "best of all worlds," or "one for mommy and one for daddy,"  as if it would be any less perfect had ds been born a girl.  I just don't get that. 

katico ... You're organizing push sounds great!  Rock on, crouton! 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#58 of 237 Old 01-17-2012, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

"She's gorgeous/perfect/beautiful" - I usually say something like, "Thanks....we tried reallllly hard" or "She is...she looks a lot like her brother."

Laundry - I feel like it hasn't been too bad for us.  Diapers get washed every third day or so (mostly DD's with a handful from DS's overnights).  Clothing probably happens once a week...usually 1 load of whites and 1-2 loads colors.  But, we're definitely a re-wear family...if it didn't get visibly dirty, it can be worn again.  A little pee from a small diaper leak?  Let it dry and wear again.  Every shirt DS wears goes into the laundry after 1 wear, though, due to a combo of snot wiped all over the sleeves and food that fell during the day.

Alright, got a CBIA...

#59 of 237 Old 01-17-2012, 09:18 AM

laundry/clothes: totally overwhelms me though I limit us to two small baskets for baby and each child gets one drawer in a dresser, I get rid of everything else. We adults each have a small drawer for our socks/underwear and we share one small closet (we hang all our pants and shirts, etc). Even so... I send 20lbs of laundry to the wash-and-fold once a week and I do several loads a week upstairs at my parents' house (we do all hang-to-dry though). I live in very small space so many of my housekeeping challenges have to do with figuring out where to put stuff! But I am also trying to limit us to what fits in the house. Which is just not much.

not much to report... baby doing great. Starting to really lift her head high when she's on her tummy despite no attempt on my part to do "tummy time". She is starting to grab. She is 11.5 weeks.

#60 of 237 Old 01-17-2012, 11:09 AM

Laundry: I'm always doing laundry! I find the folding and putting away to be the hard part. I need to do better! In general I need to do better with household chores. It's my new years resolution. I'm trying to come up with some kind of system...

Outfits: M almost always wears a pair of longies during the day. I do have to change her t-shirt most days because she spits up a lot! After a few big spit ups it's time for a new t-shirt. A lot of times she wears layers of a wool t-shirt with a cotton over. Then I just change the cotton one. Most of her non-wool clothes have gone unworn. They were hand-me-downs anyway so I'm not worried about it. We just pass them on. Using wool has helped keep her laundry to a minimum. It's the rest of us that seem to generate a lot. Me because I get spit up on me all the time- and DD1 because she pees her pants at least once a day it seems.

Cute baby comments: I just smile, say thank you, or we like her too type of comments.

Photo books: I've used the software on my Mac before. I'm not really good about this task. I do keep a family blog and want to print out the blog into books for each year. I think its' the closest thing my girls will get to a baby book!

EC: I'm really loving doing EC over here. She still uses her diapers plenty but we catch about 5 or so pees or poops a day. I find I can see her signals much better now and hope to just keep catching more over time. If I don't - I don't, but if i do; score!

Maeve is doing great. Lots of rolling these days. She instantly rolls to her back if I put her on her tummy and just yesterday rolled from her back to tummy for the first time. She is 13.5 weeks now. I think she is nearly 14 pounds at this point. Lots of nice rolls. I use coconut oil on her rolls which helps with the redness.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page