Chat Thread: Jan 9 - Someone Starts a New One - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 237 Old 01-17-2012, 10:55 AM
~pi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Beautiful baby: Same as others, my response is usually something like, "Thanks, we like him," or, "Yep, we've decided to keep him. I hear they are tough to put back, anyway."

Rolling, rolling, rolling: We had one good roll a while back (in which he ground his face into our bath mat) and then nothing. Today, he apparently woke up with the goal of mastering this rolling thing. I've just put a big blanket on the floor next to me and he is rolling like mad. He does back to front, hangs out for a bit, and then needs help to flip back.

Grabbing: Yes on this as well. I put his gym (this one) out on the blanket this morning, and he grabbed onto the red ring and couldn't figure out how to let go. I feel a little bad about laughing at him, but it was pretty dang funny. ("Help! My arm is stuck!!" "Uh, kid, let go of the ring.") He also got quite the fistful of my mom's hair last night.

Which brings me to ... awkward conversations: My mom is going to be living with us part time now, i.e., one or two nights a week. She got a job in the city and will telecommute some of the time, but needs to be in the office at least a couple of days a week. It is wonderful that she got a job, I'm thrilled that we will see her more often, and we are happy to help out by providing her with a place to stay. However, I need to figure out how to talk to her about a few things. There are things that I just don't worry about when we don't see someone all that often. For example, I swear, she bathes in perfume. She doesn't do it so much on vacation, so it's never been a huge problem before, but she has always worn heavy perfume to work, and it's going to be a serious problem for us. Both DH and I had headaches from it last night. Gah. I need to figure out how to discuss that with her.

Leiahs, congrats to your DH on the job! Sorry they didn't make a better offer, but that's great about the benefits.

starling, that's a lot of laundry change!

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#62 of 237 Old 01-17-2012, 02:31 PM

Beth: hugs. Just hugs.

beautiful baby: like others have said, I usually respond with a variation on the "Oh yes, we just decided yesterday to keep her!" theme.

rolling: she's not really rolling much yet...if she's on her back she'll roll to her side or tummy, but she won't roll from her tummy yet. Honestly, I think she's just too fat.

grabbing: Like crazy! She regularly rips handfuls of hair out of my head, and will hold and shake and chew on her Winnie-the-Pooh doll too. Her grasp isn't perfect yet though so she drops him frequently, and the second he falls she becomes incandescent with rage. I filmed it yesterday just so I could show DH because I thought it was so funny.

emma: good news about the insurance! Sorry it is all such a pain, but thank goodness you'll be covered retroactively.

Head over heels for DHjoy.gif bonus mama to super sweet DSS (10/9)superhero.gif and mama to DD (10/11)loveeyes.gif! nocirc.gif  sewmachine.gif  goorganic.jpg

#63 of 237 Old 01-17-2012, 03:37 PM

Solids:  I was just thinking the same - that it is coming up so soon!  I can't wait, I loved introducing DD1 to solids - we did baby led weaning and looooove it.  

Books: I can't believe you have time to read, not_telling!!

"She's so beautiful!" I always end up saying something like "we think so!"  but then it always feels awkward for some reason.  So I try to just say 'thank you' because I really don't want to talk to people, haha

Leiahs:  Sucks about the job offer :(  Frustrating to be bumped up out of one bracket but not enough to save any significant amount!  It's hard to pay rent when you know the money could go into a house, I know!

Photos: Thank you all for the input!! Lifeguard, I like the idea of printing them off 12x12 so you can add in other bits and bobs if you want but it would still be much less bulk to store!

Photos with two children  Does anyone worry about printing/books for two kids or do you just figure they'll just split them up somehow when you're gone?

Laundry: You know, that's one thing I was forgetting - I am washing my own clothes much more often with the spit up etc.  Plus, the sheets and towels that come with nighttime accidents potty training.  I think I will be getting some cloth training pants of some sort for her...it's just too much!!!

The thought of carrying laundry out to a shared/pay laundry makes me want to weep.  Kudos to you, Starling

padraigs: aren't the the best?!  I got a pair for DD1 and she wears them day and night.  I am definitely getting a pair for Claire, socks are useless.  They are absolutely worth every cent and I'm so impressed with how well they wash.  I would normally knit slippers for them but they are slippery and tend to wear out in the sole even if you felt them.

Pi:  Ugh to awkward conversations, but do it!  I bet you won't be the only ones to benefit - there are probably people she encounters every day that suffer from her perfume too.  My mother is severely sensitive to scents and it's so hard to get people to understand their scents are toxic.  Growing up in a scent free house, it shocks me how many layers of perfume and scents people use  every day in every product!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBruja View Post

Her grasp isn't perfect yet though so she drops him frequently, and the second he falls she becomes incandescent with rage. 

biglaugh.gif

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#64 of 237 Old 01-17-2012, 03:47 PM

Solids: I'm so excited about this.  DD is showing interest in food (she usually is being held when we eat, if we don't pay attention she will try licking stuff...the other day she stuck her hand in a spicy vinegar basedbbq sauce and had it in her mouth before I could stop her.  Laughed her little head off), so by six months, I think we will be introducing things.  I've had to stop DH from accidentially on purpose putting things in her grasp...

Rolling: She was at it a lot before the harness, but now during her hour of harness free time doesn't do it.  Her motor skills have gone down since she hasn't been able to use them, but i hear they regain them quickly.

Grabbing: In the past few days, she has discovered her love of an obnoxious looking diamond shaped ring rattle by mom bought her.  If she isn't holding it, we sure as hell better be shaking it or all hell breaks loose.  I think I am going to develop carpel tunnel if she keeps it up. 

Today I feel a sense of balance that I haven't honestly felt since I started back to work.  I was woken by baby giggles, which is much nicer than baby crying.  I had time for tea while I read the news.  I cleaned out our fireplace since we removed the gaslogs (they didn't work and were disconnected from the gas).  I played with the baby.  I chatted with my next door neighbor who thinks my kid's name is Laura, despite spelling it for her. ;)  I put dinned together and it will be ready when I get home.  I got to work and felt productive.  I didn't feel like one thing or the other was being dropped or sacrificed.  I didn't feel like I was juggling, I felt like I was balancing.

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#65 of 237 Old 01-17-2012, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

3 1/2 year old for sale.  Seriously.

Rolling: I remember this with DS...all these similarly aged babies rolling and not him for the longest time.  Um, DD is not rolling anywhere yet.  She can scooch, though.

Books: I mostly read at bedtime and during DS's naps.  When DS was a baby I didn't read at bedtime because we needed to have lights out/quiet while he nursed to sleep and then to keep him asleep.  I've always read before bed (since I learned to read) and that was really hard for me and also I think contributed to insomnia.  This time around I'm finding that I can read in bed while DD nurses and while she dozes because it's usually pretty easy to get her re-settled and asleep after I turn out my light.

Padraigs - Ooo, those are very very cute!  We've been doing pretty ok with two pairs of socks we have, but our booties have been coming off too easily.  Today I remembered a pair of booties we have from DS that I thought might fit DD now.  They always stayed on DS really well.  My friend got them for DS in Guatemala while she and her husband were in the process of adopting a child.  A year after that child finally came home with them to the U.S. my friend died unexpectedly.  Actually, as I type this I'm realizing that tomorrow is the 2 year anniversary of her death.  She was a wonderful mother and friend and teacher, and I'm so glad I have little things like booties that she thought to get for my little baby while so many things were going on in her life.

Perfume - I hope your mom responds well, pi.  My MIL and GMIL tend to be perfumey and then DD (and DS) smells for days. 

And now I'm off to dinner downstairs.

Any takers for that 3 1/2 year old? eyesroll.gif

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#66 of 237 Old 01-17-2012, 04:29 PM

The perfume thing reminds me of my grandmother.  When I stayed with my cousin a couple of years ago she told me that she had told my grandmother recently that if she wore a specific perfume (because she pours it on) that she is not allowed in her house.  Not in a mean way but in a funny way.  My grandmother lived nearby so was always just showing up smelling up the house. 

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#67 of 237 Old 01-17-2012, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I'm home. So nice to see my DH.

Laundry: I have lots of diapers and washer/dryer in the bathroom, which makes it very easy. I do one big load a week! I do sposies at night because I end up all pee wet otherwise. Then one load of whites and one big one of colors weekly (we re-wear also. I rarely wash my jeans. I buy them on the tight side and they relax into wonderfulness but not saggy butt. They are good quality.) I have a clean laundry basket for every family member and one for household linens. I sort everyone's laundry before folding it and take it to our rooms or dresser spots (there's a dirty basket in each room, but we mostly undress in the bathroom, so in go most things next to the washer.) I'm not fabulous at fold/put away. Things definitely linger a few days, and some weeks, they never get in the drawers. Before the baby, yes, but now, no.

photo books: my poor children. That's all I have to say.

Rosemary, married  mama to Pascal 3/08 and expecting #2 on Halloween.
#68 of 237 Old 01-17-2012, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

starling - I am loving the mental image of your dd!

clothing - oh my, we are drowning in clothes here. My fluctuating weight (& dh's recently) doesn't help with this, but we also just seem to constantly get given more hand me downs. Dd has a ridiculous amount of clothing that has never been worn - we were given 4 Christmas dresses - she wore one for 10 minutes for the picture - sigh. I need to be more ruthless in getting rid of stuff.

pi - can you make a joke with your mom about the perfume? Or maybe a discussion in general about how a lot of places are going scent-free.

labruja - the hair grabbing - eek. I have long & very curly hair & baby fingers get hopelessly tangled in it.

katico - oh my, I do NOT look forward to solids - it makes life so much more complicated, although with ds already eating maybe I won't find feeding dd to take so much thought. For the albums I am simply making family albums - they can fight over them once I'm gone - or simply make copies I guess.

livacreature - yeah for balance!!!

not_telling - I'm a bedtime reader too - I realllly struggle to fall asleep without it even if I'm exhausted.

afm - sleep is a wonderful, wonderful thing. We've settled into a pattern here & I'm now pretty consistently getting around 8 hours at night!!!! Dd wakes up to bf 1-3 times so that is not bad at all. Feeling so much more optimistic.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#69 of 237 Old 01-17-2012, 07:34 PM

Reading along, but wanted to ask.... any other babies consistently dry all night? Kai is freaking me out with this! It's been about 3 solid weeks of dry diapers all night, every night. He goes to sleep around 11pm every night (with a diaper change right before that, usually poop). He sleeps all night until around 7, 8 or sometimes even 9am without waking at all. When he does wake up his diaper is always dry. Not a drop of pee after 9ish hours! Usually he'll eat and have a big pee within 45 minutes of being awake. At first I thought maybe he just wasn't drinking enough, but he nurses plenty, growing great, soft spot isn't sunken, etc. No signs of dehydration at all. During the day he fusses as soon as he pees so is changed immediately. He's probably a prime candidate for EC if I wasn't so lazy winky.gif  But I've never heard of a baby staying dry all night so this is totally weird to me. I thought it was a fluke the first couple times, but it's been weeks of staying dry all night.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#70 of 237 Old 01-17-2012, 07:34 PM

I too have to read a few minutes before I sleep, even if I am falling asleep doing it.

I am not looking forward to solids, particularly, but I did find feeding the second easier and I assume the third will be so too. I entirely skipped "baby food" and just fed her stuff she could self-feed or bites/licks of our food. Plus b/c she wanted to be like her brother... it was more of a social experience for her.

I'm exhausted tonight and at wits end with my middle child. She is still awake and its 10:30. its awful. I am feeling completely trapped by bedtime right now (hence on the computer, trying to remain sane). I guess she just can't nap anymore, without at nap she is asleep between 6:45 and 7:15. DH has to leave for work at 6:30am so at this point there are less than 8 hours before he has to walk out the door-- let alone get a decent amount of sleep. At least her screaming isn't waking up the baby or her older brother (at least not yet...)

dissertating mom to three

#71 of 237 Old 01-17-2012, 08:15 PM

steph - that's awesome! Even if you are not into ec I think I might still try to pee him in the morning when you first get up - I bet you find some success.

emma - those late nights are awful. Ds was up until just after 10:30 here too - he didn't nap today so I'm not sure why he was awake so late. It really cuts into my evening though!

#72 of 237 Old 01-18-2012, 05:01 AM

Steph- I second lifeguard. why not stick Kai on the potty after he gets up?

my second was consistently dry at night for many months, like 3m-9m or so, and since we did EC I actually had her sleep diaperless. then she started wetting again so diapers went back on for a while. they she was dry almost all the time from about 14m until her sister was born 11.5 weeks ago ;) This baby has been dry about once a week in the mornings. So, I don't think its unheard of. There is a hormone that actually prevents us from peeing in our deep sleep- maybe it just means he gets a lot of great sleep! (once I started EC I noticed it was totally true- the babies are slightly roused- wiggling about- when they seemingly pee in their sleep).

#73 of 237 Old 01-18-2012, 06:27 AM

Trying to catch up here while Landon naps.....

Laundry- Dp does all the laundry. He usually does it twice a week, about 2 loads each time. I don't have a washer/dryer here in my apartment, but there is a laundry room for my apartment building that he uses.

Rolling- Landon isn't rolling over at all. He loves laying on his back, and sometimes will roll a little to his side. Haven't really done any tummy time with him. Tried it once and he hated it.

Books- I haven't read anything lately. I use to love to read, but since I got pregnant I have yet to read a book. I have a big stack of books that I want to read but just haven't.

Solids- This scares me! lol Not sure what route I want to go with it. So many people are excited to start rice cereal at 4 months, but I'm not that into it. What should I tell my pediatrician about why I don't want to do it? lol Not sure if I'm going to make my own baby food, or just kind of let him eat what we are eating in small small pieces. Thoughts?

Grabbing- He has been grabbing my hair at random times. He has discovered his hands and doesn't keep them out of his mouth! They are always shoved in there when he is laying on the floor.

Laughing- He has laughed a few times, but smiles all the time.

Afm- things are going okay. I'm still feeling very overwhelmed by everything, but maybe getting use to it a little. I have Landon on a "loose" schedule for eating. He is still nursing, but getting a bottle at set times. I needed to get some kind of schedule/structure with my day. With working and being out and about a lot I was going crazy not ever knowing what to expect and plan for. I am really sad about breastfeeding not happening like i wanted it to, but trying to accept that I just wasn't making enough milk for him. I think that things in the beginning were screwed up and we just got off to a bad start. He wasn't latching in the hospital, then he had to stay there without me because of his jaundice, and no-one was really there to help me out with it. If I could do it over again I would change everything, but I can't.

We want to get Landon some new toys this weekend, what toys do you love? I went to look at toys this past weekend and it was so overwhelming. I didn't know what to get. Most of the toys were loud and annoying.

I would also love to start a bedtime routine with him. I will have to figure what I want the routine to be like. Something simple.

Chelsea, loving mama to Landon, born 11/3

#74 of 237 Old 01-18-2012, 07:11 AM

Dropping in to say, hell has no fury like a baby woken up before she is ready.  Geez, forgive me for interrupting your ELEVEN HOURS so we could take daddy to woke, miss.   

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#75 of 237 Old 01-18-2012, 07:46 AM

chelsea: take a look at the baby led weaning stuff some time and see what you think. you can certainly tell your ped you prefer to wait until around 6m or Landon is showing clear signs of readiness (if I recall that includes; baby can sit unassisted, has developed a good pincer grip, no tongue-thrust reflex to food in his mouth, and actively grabbing at food). And then let the ped give you feeding schedule at the 6m appointment if she wants, say thanks, and do what you want for the next 3 months. If your child is healthy and growing normally and hitting developmental targets, then there really shouldn't be a lot of concern about his nutrition. Rice cereal is way less nutritious than breastmilk or formula- there is nothing in there other than iron that your baby "needs" and iron can come in other ways. (iron rich foods, supplement, in the formula). I tried more baby food with my first and he just wasn't into it. When he got teeth (at 11.5 m) he really go into "real" food and we just fed him table food from then on. With my second, I honestly didn't bother at all with baby food. Of course, I was already feeding a kid... so I just gave her some of that stuff- soft fruits, yogurt, oatmeal, overcooked rice, eggs, avocado, beans, etc. Whatever seemed interesting to her. She ate or didn't eat and we didn't sweat it. We didn't really do official BLW (some of my friends did). LUckily for me, my first pediatrician told me "first foods are culturally determined" and that she could give me a schedule if I wanted but really just introduce things slowly, avoid choking hazards, and don't replace breastmilk/formula with other drinks until they are at least 1. Seriously that was her total medical advice.

and... after seeing and hearing about this with so many moms... I think the biggest "risk" of normal newborn jaundice (not jaundice caused by a more serious problem, of course)  is that it means the babies end up not getting off to a good start nursing. grrr. (my first was hospitalized for it... luckily they roomed me in with him but still it was stressful and not an optimal first week of motherhood for me or life for him).

#76 of 237 Old 01-18-2012, 08:17 AM

livacreature- 11 hours!!?! That is awesome. I dream of Landon sleeping that long.

emmaegbert- Yes, I will look into baby lead weaning. I think that's more the route I want to go.

Gas- Landon farts all the time. Like, sometimes it's non-stop. When he is nursing he arches his back and pops off me all the time when he farts. Anything I can do to help him out? I feel bad, I think that sometimes it bothers him, he seems frustrated.

Chelsea, loving mama to Landon, born 11/3

#77 of 237 Old 01-18-2012, 10:14 AM

We did baby led weaning with our first too. It is great and she is a great eater now. I went with the phrase, "until they are one, its just for fun". She nibbled here or there for quite some time and then starting "eating' at closer to 9-10 months I think. She loved mouthing fruit! Certain things were bigger hits then others of course. It worked well for us and we'll go that route again. I need to learn if I should introduce certain foods later though due to DD1 have allergies though.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#78 of 237 Old 01-18-2012, 10:31 AM

We just got back from 5 days in NYC visiting close friends and DH's family.  Now we're back into the mayhem of packing.  I have been reading a bit on my phone, but it is really hard to post.  So I am way behind in posting.  However...

Leihs, I am glad for you that your DH was made permanent, but I'm sorry it wasn't a great offer.

Steph- so glad to hear your father is doing better.  That must have been so scary and stressful, and I hope he continues to improve.

Issues with landlord are still, well, issues.  She came back and said she wanted us to pay 2 of the four months remaining rent, and a month of heating.  We told her that we won't be doing that- she has been in violation of state law etc, and that we also expect our security deposit back.  It would cost her upwards of 20-30K to de-lead our house, so it REALLY is in her best interest financially to just let us go!  But, she has decided to sell the house ASAP.  Right now, we can't even walk through our house, but tomorrow there is a group showing from 4:30-6:30.  I don't know how that is going to go.  Instead of waiting just 1 more week until we are gone and the apartment is clean, she wants to show it immediately.  Normally, I am really anal about taking out the trash when it is full, or vacuuming or cleaning up, but I am definitely not going to stress out for the sake of a showing! In fact, I think the trash and dishes can wait until Friday!  (I know, I'm being kind of passive aggressive, which I acknowledge, but we still live here...)  Our place is a mess, and it will stay that way!

Palesa has rolled from tummy to back twice.  Last night she propped herself up sitting.  She was leaning forward, but balanced and didn't topple.  That was pretty cool.  

Okay, more later.  Once again, I truly love that we have such an active DDC still (even though it makes it hard to keep up with everything when I get busy for a few days!!!)

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#79 of 237 Old 01-18-2012, 12:38 PM

Baby toys- This snail is, hands down, Kai's favorite toy. It does play music, but I don't find it as annoying as some other toys. He has this ball that he likes. This is his high chair toy (he sits in the high chair during dinner most nights) and he likes it a lot too.

Solids- The plan was to wait until 6 months, but we might start at 5 months if he's interested. We'll see. We will do home-made food instead of jars.

Rolling- nothing going on over here, but I'm in no hurry for a mobile baby winky.gif

Laundry- I do all laundry on Fridays. Usually it's 4-5 loads per week. All get folded/hung and put away by Saturday afternoon.

Laughing- none here, but plenty of smiles orngbiggrin.gif

not_telling- I'll trade you your 3 1/2 year old for my 8 year old. I should warn you, though, that he came home from school today with a note saying he told the student special ed teacher she was "annoying", kicked the regular special ed teacher, ran away from her, laid down in the middle of the hallway and refused to move, met with the assistant principal and then locked himself in the bathroom (and ended up crawling under the door because he didn't want to touch the "disgusting" door.... as if the floor was any cleaner eyesroll.gif). Ahem... yeah, I'm more than willing to trade for a 3 1/2 year old lol.gif

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#80 of 237 Old 01-18-2012, 04:37 PM

solids - we do baby led weaning as well. I do not enjoy spoon feeding a baby at all but this way I can give them some food & enjoy my own meal.

baby toys - ds really didn't care about toys at all. Dd is showing a little more interest but there still is nothing in particular I would recommend at this point. Mostly they just seem to like colour.

#81 of 237 Old 01-18-2012, 06:10 PM

I am sure I will miss someone/something but I am gonna give it a go!

Housekeeping: I am kind of a middle of the road. My house definately has cluttered areas (counters, etc.), it gets dirty on ocassion but it is somewhat manageable (except for the laundry). We have 7 people living in 1500 sq ft house with way to much stuff so I do what I can:).

Laundry:  Holy crap rosemary is that you that said 1 load a week? really? How on earth? What about sheets/towels, etc.

Around here the grown ups wear their pants multiple days (me no more than 2 cuz I usually get spit up on or peed on or something. Everyone wears pj's multiple nights (except the baby who spits up a lot, I don't change her every time just if it gets too soaked), I wash the towels about every week or 2 and the grown up sheets every 2 weeks (unless they get visibly dirty) and the kids sheets about once a month unless there is pee or sand or something. I wash diapers about every other to every third day. I think we are pretty good with not being wasteful with the dirty laundry that we create but I swear that laundry procreates way quicker than we do:). I wash about 4 loads every other day (in my front triple loader) Plus the sheets towels and diaper laundry. I would say about 15-20 loads a week!!!! I keep up with the washing, but not so good with the folding/putting away.

Last wk ds3 (5 yrs) couldn't find his shoes and I told him they were in the laundry room. He looked and still couldn't find them (we have a really small laundry room). I went and there they were right on the floor. I showed him and he said oh, I was looking in the other laundry room (that would be my living room where the clean clothes are piled on the couch) lol.

3 months- S is rolling every time I put her on her tummy. Freaks her out too, lol. She is cooing and finally making some eye contact.

I am also feeling like i might still actually have some abdominal muscles in there somewhere and my energy is returning!

Pajamas- I guess you guys are talking about hte footed sleepers. We have a bunch  of those and dd has only been in 1 pair 1 time (on x-mas and that was bcs her jammies matched her siblings:)). I find them difficult to use for diaper changes and toileting and would much rather haver he in pants and tops or a dress w/ leg warmers. At night and at home we use the nightgowns but don't use them out and about as they aren't practical w/ car seat straps and I think they look a bit silly but that is just me.

Photos- I did an album for the first year of life for ds1 and ds2 (they each actually have 2 3ring binders). Everyone else has plenty of photos but I haven't done anything with it.

Photos with 2 children- I would make sure each kid has their own baby book (that is my goal anyways) and as far as yearly albums (if I ever get around to it) they can do what they want with them but they stay at my house till I'm gone.

"She's gorgeous/perfect/beautiful" - I say I KNOW!!!! bcs obviously I know my own child is beautiful, works for me.

EC- I love EC! It works for us. I don't understand when people say they are too lazy for it bcs it doesn't take anymore energy than changing a diaper really. Dd wakes up dry I take off her diaper and hold her on the potty for about 1min (if that) then pull her diaper back up and that is it.

I am not counting misses/catches this time. when I think she needs to go I take her. If she is wet I take her and put on a dry diaper.

I am proud of my new invention. Some of you might remember when I was pg I bought a bumbo with the idea of turning it into a potty. Yesterday I finally got around to it and she loves sitting on it! She goes in it every time. I turned my Bumbo baby sitter into a Bumbo baby Shi**er. Tee hee hee. I can see how that might not be the best marketing slogan but hey it cracks me up.

Grabbing - She is clenching her fists and manages to latch onto my hair but isn't aiming for a toy or anything in particular.

Solids- I am not interested in starting solids at all. Really I think it is a real pain in the a**! I have to plan ahead, pack it with me etc. We have allergies so introduce things very carefully which takes time and takes the fun out of it BUT is really really beneficial as far as catching allergies.

I DO NOT give my kids rice cereal with iron. I did with the first 2 and it made them barf. I have their iron tested at 9 months and if it is fine there is no need for extra in my opinion.

The aap sais no solids until at least 6 months so your dr's should not be suggesting before that. There is a lot of reason to not introduce solids before 6 months but you can wait till after that. I find 7-9 to be the best a  I can skip the puree and just do small soft stuff. The Super baby food book is a really good guide and has a section for allergies.

Reading - I hated reading as a kid and as a young adult I got into the Harry potter books and took off. I love to read a bit at a time, especially at bedtime. dd needs it to be dark so I use a very small reading light and that works. I started the Eragon series when she was born (again:)) and am on the 3rd book. The 4th book just came out and I wanted to be fresh before i read it. It helps me to escape. Reading is great to do when the baby just wants to nurse.

baby toys- we have tons from the older kids but she is not at all interested in anything. She likes to just sit in the swing. She always has plenty of entertainment though as it is right in the middle of everything. Today she witnessed a play (performed just for her), yesterday ds 3 had all of the baby toys out and I was horrified when I looked at the swing and couldn't see her (we had to talk about that one, lol).

Leihs- pm your e-mail address and I will send a photo of our costumes (and anyone else that wants to see).

Glad dh finally got his job offer. Yeah on insurance Boo on the offer they gave.

Katico- your organizing strategies sound like they will be very helpful.

Steph- Definately take him potty when he gets up. you don't have to go all out EC just bcs you take him pee once a day. It will save you that huge diaper a little later on so actually will be easier.

I don't know if I said this yet: I am so glad your dad is doing better. Hooray!  and your MIL is a real piece of work.

Amy May- that sucks about your landlord. Hope the packing is going well. I say you have a BIG MESSY breakfast right before the house showing but i am a bit passive agressive too.

Pi- if your mom is going to be living there for a while the smelly perfume issue isn't going to be the only one that comes up. I would suggest having a family meeting initially and then following up about 1x a month. Sit down and discuss some concerns you have, your expectations, etc. Let her do the same and that way no one has any unrealistic expectations.

AFU- Saphira had her hearing screaning today. What a colossal waist of time!!! The nb screan is for babies under 4 months but hte test doesn't work unless the baby is asleep so if the baby is over 6 wks it gives false results, etc. she was quiet but since she was awake it kept picking up other stuff and restarting. They turned it off and rescheduled her in audiology which is where we wanted to go in the first place. Our appt. is on mon the 30th and of course I will update you all then.

Feels like I am finally in a groove, my body feels like a body again (i can sit up with out rolling over:)) and i have energy to not nap every day.

She smiles at me tons and I AM IN LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#82 of 237 Old 01-18-2012, 08:13 PM

rolling & grabbing  not much here yet, though we're getting closer.  she seems to be more aware of her feet's ability to kick than her hand's ability to grab

laundry I've never counted how many loads per week, but I'd guess at least 2-4 of clothes/misc & then diapers every 1-3 days depending.  I feel like the diapers keep getting stinky. Need to figure out a better consistent wash routine -- or try different detergent.

solids I was just thinking about this, too.  I can't believe we're halfway there!  We did a mix of finger foods and purees with DD1. Will probably do the same with this babe.

hand-me-downs I got a bunch of stuff recently which is AWESOME, but they came from a smoker's home and they STUNK.  I washed a few times, used a vinegar rinse 1x and hung outside for a day.  They smelled great after coming off the line, but now I can sort of smell smoke in some of them again. UGH.  The whole smoking & SIDS thing makes me too paranoid to let her sleep in any of the clothes.  I think I'm going to try doing another wash with vinegar rinse on the ones that are still smelly.  Any other tips for getting the stink out?

sickness  baby has her first ear infection. This kid is so mellow I only noticed when copious amounts of gunk started coming out of her ear. Poor kid.  Her weight gain is still really slow.  I don't think she's eating enough.  The Dr thinks she could be limiting what she eats because of reflux, but she isn't screaming like most of the reflux babies I've heard of.  After seeing her with this ear infection that she's barely complained about, and since she's only gained like half of what she's supposed to by this point and has fallen off the weight-for-height curve, I decided to try her on zantac for a few weeks to see if it makes any difference.  I hate to medicate her for possibly no reason, but I don't know what else to do at this point.  It's frustrating.  Luckily she's keeping up with her height and head circumference curves. The Ped isn't freaking out or anything, but the fact that my kid isn't gaining makes me feel like a bad mama greensad.gif

#83 of 237 Old 01-18-2012, 08:45 PM
~pi

bumbo baby shitter: biglaugh.gifbiglaugh.gifbiglaugh.gif

theboysmama, you're right, we should have a discussion. Ugh. This all came up so suddenly.

dollyanna, HUGS. You are a great mom. You can't exactly force feed her, you know? And it sounds like she is healthy, ear infection aside. I hope she recovers quickly.

solids: We did baby-led last time but DS1 ended up very anemic at a year. (I have chronically low iron.) This time we will be feeding cereal as extra insurance against anemia. The current official reccos here are 6 months, but there has been some science in recent years suggesting that 4-6 months may be a better recommendation, with an eye toward baby's readiness signs, of course. DS2 is already keenly watching us eat. We sat him in the bumbo at dinner last night and gave him a spoon and he was SO HAPPY.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#84 of 237 Old 01-19-2012, 06:56 AM

theboysmama - I totally laughed out loud at the laundry room/livingroom mix-up! Ds told me the other day that the dirty clothes go on the bathroom floor - the hamper is usually full so the overflow ends up there but it's not really supposed to be there. Bumbo seat - brilliant!

dollyanna - sorry you're so worried about dd's growth. I hope it picks up soon.

afm - having major mood swings here. I can't seem to keep an even keel the whole day through but drop suddenly into these awful dark moods. Very frustrating for me (& maybe more so for dh). I put dd into a 9 month sleeper this morning! Oy. I will be changing out the clothes in her drawers again in the next week or so 'cause most of the 6 month stuff is getting too small. It is all happening so fast!

#85 of 237 Old 01-19-2012, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

solids - for DS we did a combo of BLW and homemade purees (i was big on the prune or prune/apricot purees to keep constipation at bay) and plan on doing the same with DD.  DS was usually interested in tasting things, but it was months before he was actually geting much in the way of nutrition/sustenance from solids.

theboysmama - so annoying about them making you do an inappropriate hearing screening.

grabbing - DD is grabbing....my hair when she can get it, toys sometimes...and she does like kicking.  she loves having her diaper and pants off and just kicking those little juicy legs all over while i make lots of impressed and appreciative noises and comments.  makes me sad that it's not summer and we could do nakey time a lot more often.

smokey clothing - i have no idea what you should do.  did you try google-ing?  honestly, if it was me i would probably get rid of them...i hate the smell of smoke and can smell even very minute amounts of it.  definitely would not want that around/on my baby.

Amy May - ARGH about your landlord.  don't remember if you said...did you point out the whole lead abatement thing to her?

clothing sizes - a lot of DD's 0-3 pants are getting too short...at least, too short for winter...they'll probably be great as capris in 5 months.  and now that she's in fitted diapers during the day (and has grown a bit) some of the 0-3 onesies no longer fit.  we've been using a combo of 0-3 and 3-6 stuff for at least a month and a half...the larger things are kinda big, but workable, and make me feel like she has more variety in her wardrobe.

dark moods - if by dark moods you mean trying to stay mellow and calm with your older child and then flipping your lid after s/he's been screaming and crying at you going on 30 minutes, then yes, i do that, too.  honestly...i was trying to figure out how that "ignore the tantrum" thing works...i can ignore for a long time, but DS will just keep screaming and screaming "Mommy!  I need to tell you something!  Mommy!  Are you listening to me??!!  Mommy!" over and over and over...it does not end...not after 5 minutes, not after 15 minutes, not after 30 minutes....

afm - DH went into work a bit late today, so he got up early and got DS ready for school and walked him over...so i got to sleep in with DD and wake up to an empty (except for DD) house.  pretty awesome, i gotta say...

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#86 of 237 Old 01-19-2012, 01:21 PM

rolling: none yet!

not_telling: so sad about your friend, I'm sorry hug2.gif

Laundry:  Rosemary, you are a laundry goddess.  ONE load of colours?!  Girl...

We rewear a lot, too - anything clean enough/spit up free.  DH's work clothes are the exception.Sometimes I hang his pants back up and he's none the wiser though... 2whistle.gif

I generally do: 1 load of kid/baby clothes (includes all burp cloths, swaddlers etc), 3 loads my/DH clothes 1 load towels, 1 load kitchen/household, another load sheets when needed....which doesn't sound like THAT much, when I write it out...maybe it's the diaper laundry that has me feeling like a laundry drudge.

Diaper laundry: I sh*t you not, I have to do diapers at LEAST every second day.  For one baby. and it's not for lack of stash.  Nono, right now she is using DD1's infant prefolds, her bigger prefolds, a SECOND set of big prefolds given to us, a handful of pocket dipes, AND every doubler/random hemp whatever I have.   She just pees constantly and screams her head off each time until you change her!  So, I'd say 3-4 loads diapers/wk.... 3 cycles each time...Yep, I think this is why laundry is exhausting me!

books:  I had a revelation last night.  The free kindle app for my iphone!  I actually found time to read a few chapters last night - one handed and easy!  Seriously, I think every mama should have an iphone.  Bus schedules, grocery lists, camera, video, youtube for unexpectedly long waits with little people, games/facebook at 3am when you're trying to stay awake long enough to feed the baby......it has made my life easier in a lot of ways.  I heartbeat.gif it

Toys: both girls have loved the lamaze toys from very young - especially Jacques the peacock.  DD1 had a little stuffed bunny and a wooden rattle she adored.  Claire is all over Sophie the giraffe.  

Solids  DD1 started at 5.5 months and her first foods were avocado slices, broccolli florets, chicken and noodles.  She loved to eat straight away and I loved to be able to feed her real food - made me feel better to give her real, nutritious things when we had to formula feed!  I gave her prune puree occasionally as well, just gave her a bit and a spoon and let her go to! She mastered her utensils and cups early too - which is another reason to love BLW.  Baby cereal recalls happening here in Canada, makes me extra glad we skipped most processed baby/toddler foods.  Scary when you have to use formula though.

theboysmama:  biglaugh.gifto the bumbo baby sh*tter and the 'laundry room.  made me lol!!!

Clothing: Claire is in 6-12 mo everything now and wore a 1yr shirt yesterday!!!!!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_telling View Post

dark moods - if by dark moods you mean trying to stay mellow and calm with your older child and then flipping your lid after s/he's been screaming and crying at you going on 30 minutes, then yes, i do that, too.  honestly...i was trying to figure out how that "ignore the tantrum" thing works...i can ignore for a long time, but DS will just keep screaming and screaming "Mommy!  I need to tell you something!  Mommy!  Are you listening to me??!!  Mommy!" over and over and over...it does not end...not after 5 minutes, not after 15 minutes, not after 30 minutes....

yeahthat.gif Ha!!  DD1 has been crawling into bed with us at ridiculous hours, which she is welcome to do....BUT....she'll climb in and either a) carry 856,573,772 books and toys with her, b)FLIP OUT because she can't find her waterbottle/toy/blanket, even though it's right next to her, c)start reading a book out loud or d)all of the above. /Then the baby wakes up. eyesroll.gif  Then the next day she talks about it nonstop as she processes our response ("then Mama said "GO TO SLEEP!'  and Daddy said "be quiet!" Then I just cried") Oh my nerves. Makes us sound like horrible parents.  I'm a fan of unconditional nightime parenting, but there is a line, child!

P.S. 11 weeks ago, I birthed a 10lb4oz baby. Why, then, am I feeling all sooky about the menst, cramps I am currently having?

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#87 of 237 Old 01-19-2012, 01:55 PM

NAK, with left hand too.

I love the bumbo sitter idea!!!  I was so inspired by you, theboysmama, to try EC again this morning.  I stopped really trying with her because life feels so hectic, but it is definitely no more work than diapers! Thank you for that reminder!

I usually do 2-4 loads of adult laundry a week, and baby laundry (cloth dipes) every 3-4 days.  I'm impressed with all of you laundry-organized people... I can stay on top of washing the clothes, but not the folding and putting away!

Solids and BLW.  I definitely want to find out more about BLW.  I selfishly want to delay any solids for absolutely as long as possible because I love nursing her so much... I want to be the one to provide 100% of her nutrition and don't want to share that with solid foods!  I admit it is totally selfish!  I will look into BLW though!

Dollyanna- thinking of you and hope the weight gain improves for your LO.  

Lifeguard- hugs to you.

Right now, relator is here showing the house.  It is basically an open house.  Palesa has a bit of a cold, so is slightly more fussy than normal.  There appears to have been a miscommunication, but we told them that we're not going to be leaving the house during this time.  So, we're both downstairs working (MDC is work too, you know), and I totally just flashed the relators and 2 potential buyers my nipple.  She spit up right on my boob, so pulls her mouth away, and looks up at me with the sweetest grin.  Oh well.  Yes, our house is a complete disaster.  Instead of testing/removing the lead in the house, our landlord is selling the place- which is fine with us, since we're leaving anyway, but if we were staying, things would probably be much more ugly.

Tomorrow I am going into work (and bringing Palesa), and will do my exit interview and give back my ID/badge etc.  It is scary to think that as of Saturday we are both unemployed (with a baby and impending cross-country move), but very exciting because once we settle in Colorado I will be starting a new career working full-time as a doula, childbirth educator, and midwife (in-training). Well, actually, part time to start, but basically that will be my primary job.  Very exciting.  Okay, got to run.

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#88 of 237 Old 01-19-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katico View Post

P.S. 11 weeks ago, I birthed a 10lb4oz baby. Why, then, am I feeling all sooky about the menst, cramps I am currently having?

Because birthing cramps get you a baby and menstraul cramps get you NOTHING!!!

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#89 of 237 Old 01-19-2012, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

READ!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/glennon-melton/dont-carpe-diem_b_1206346.html

#90 of 237 Old 01-19-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:

Yes, yes, yes!!

I tend to get a bit of anxiety about how fast it goes, how something could happen, how one day I would give anything for one of even the most difficult of days with my little people....I feel a lot of pressure to enjoy every moment.  When I read this last week it was like a lightbulb and rang so true, relieved some of that in my mind.

That said, I will say that during those terrible, hard, sleep deprived frustrating times, it is thoughts like   "it goes so fast" and "these are your most precious days", "some day I will wish for this"  that have gotten me through and renewed my patience

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page