Chat Thread: Jan 9 - Someone Starts a New One - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2012, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I read that this morning on fb. Love it! I don't hav to love every bit of my life to still fulfilled and miss it when it i different.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 08:11 PM
~pi

Quote:

That was great, thank you for sharing! Someone gave me a line years ago with DS1: the days are long, but the years are short.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Old 01-19-2012, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post

Laundry:  Holy crap rosemary is that you that said 1 load a week? really? How on earth? What about sheets/towels, etc.

One load of whites (and "lights"), one load of diapers and lighter colored clothing that got pooped on, and one of colored. I don't separate out household linens from clothing, and wash the towels when I notice they need it. I dry them on drying bars completely open so that's not every week. I use these linen towels http://www.linenme.com/us/bathroom-linen/bathroom-linen-towels/taupe-linen-bath-towel-wafer and they are very absorbent but very thin. Sheets aren't every week these days, I have let that slide. I have a high capacity washer also so I can stuff it if I need to. Am I that weird?

Solids- I am not interested in starting solids at all. Really I think it is a real pain in the a**!

Me freaking too. I gave DS fer-in-sol iron drops (half dose daily) when his lead levels were slightly elevated.

Reading: I am a reading fiend. Always reading, mainly at night. I've read about 6 books since Iona has been born, not including the two humor books!

Rolling and grabbing: Iona sort of rolled from back to front over the weekend but I helped her a little. She did sit up like Palesa though. I call her Sporty Spice because she loves physical activity. I'm her personal trainer. She's been grabbing my hair since birth. She can hold a teething ring but doesn't seem to realize that she is doing it and drops it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyanna View Post

laundry I've never counted how many loads per week, but I'd guess at least 2-4 of clothes/misc & then diapers every 1-3 days depending.  I feel like the diapers keep getting stinky. Need to figure out a better consistent wash routine -- or try different detergent.

Have you tried Charlie's Soap? I like it.

sickness  baby has her first ear infection. This kid is so mellow I only noticed when copious amounts of gunk started coming out of her ear. Poor kid.

I'm so sorry! DS had them a lot. If you want, you can make a strong garlic oil, warm it up and drop it in her ear. Or put cut garlic cloves between her toes. The stuff is miraculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katico View Post

Diaper laundry: I sh*t you not, I have to do diapers at LEAST every second day.  For one baby. and it's not for lack of stash.  Nono, right now she is using DD1's infant prefolds, her bigger prefolds, a SECOND set of big prefolds given to us, a handful of pocket dipes, AND every doubler/random hemp whatever I have.   She just pees constantly and screams her head off each time until you change her!  So, I'd say 3-4 loads diapers/wk.... 3 cycles each time...Yep, I think this is why laundry is exhausting me!

whoa. why 3 cycles each time? diaper service? that's intense.

Toys: both girls have loved the lamaze toys from very young - especially Jacques the peacock.  DD1 had a little stuffed bunny and a wooden rattle she adored.  Claire is all over Sophie the giraffe.  

I want Iona to like Sophie, but she cares about nothing. DS had a little snail that a friend made and he'd suck on the tail because it was like a nipple. He liked anything that was nippley, like funnels and basters.

Clothing: Claire is in 6-12 mo everything now and wore a 1yr shirt yesterday!!!!!  

Go baby go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy May View Post

I totally just flashed the relators and 2 potential buyers my nipple. 

spray them in the eye, I say! Oh, why do I dislike realtors so?

Tomorrow I am going into work (and bringing Palesa), and will do my exit interview and give back my ID/badge etc.  It is scary to think that as of Saturday we are both unemployed (with a baby and impending cross-country move), but very exciting because once we settle in Colorado I will be starting a new career working full-time as a doula, childbirth educator, and midwife (in-training). Well, actually, part time to start, but basically that will be my primary job.  Very exciting.  Okay, got to run.

That's awesome, Amy May!

Pi and Amy May, should we tell them?

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:46 PM

katico- why 3 cycles? We have front loader and I do a heavy duty wash w/ extra soak and extra rinse and that does the trick (takes 2hrs)

Rosemary- you aren't weird I thought you just did 1 load a week (that is weird) and couldn't figure that out. I also forget that 7 people in the house one of which is a cigar smoking sweating stinky man and 3 of which are rambunctious boys, 1 is a very spit uppy infant and a mesy eating 3 yr old and a mamma that gets spit up on by the infant plus sheets for 7 beds (although I don't do them that often) towels for 7 people, etc. It is just a lot and hard to imagine laundry for 4.

Quote:

Tell us what?

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Old 01-20-2012, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Seriously, tell us what?!

My washing machine is seriously the nicest thing I have ever owned. Every time I do laundry I marvel at how lucky I am to have something so beautiful & I have spent many an hour blessing the souls of women who had to do laundry before this modern marvel. If I ever had to go to handwashing it would be life changing 'cause our machine gets sooooo much use. I think they should tell you when you have children it's not so much that you have a lot more laundry due to the their clothing ('cause let's face it you can put a LOT of baby clothes in one load) but rather 'cause they are constantly getting your clothes dirty - I can rarely wear something more than once now 'cause it either has spit up, breastmilk, snot or food on it (I swear ds canNOT keep his hands to himself when he is eating!).

Ok ladies, it has now been more than 4 weeks & my throat STILL hurts. It's not a terrible, overwhelming thing but it's constantly there & really starting to get rather old. What to do, what to do.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 01-20-2012, 06:45 AM

First things first,

TELL US WHAT?!  lurk.gif

Diaper laundry:  I do a cold cycle with extra rinse, a hot wash with extra rinse and then a hot rinse.  You know what?  I don't KNOW why....That was my routine with DD1 near the end, because I was having some super stinks with toddler pee.  I could probably dial that back a bit for tiny baby pee!! Duh.

Linen towels: smart!!! remembering that!

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

Old 01-20-2012, 07:02 AM

lifeguard- are you experiencing any extreme exhaustion? One of the things a sore throat that doesn't go away could be is mono. I had it in college and wasn't that tired but they tested me bcs my throat had been sore a month. At this point if you have insurance it is good to go in just to rule out any other issues (I think there are some bad things it can be). I really hope you feel better soon.

beth- do you have a front loader or top loader? Do you use vinegar? Maybe you could do your crazy 3 wash cycle every other week and that would keep any stink down and save you lots of time.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post

beth- do you have a front loader or top loader? Do you use vinegar? Maybe you could do your crazy 3 wash cycle every other week and that would keep any stink down and save you lots of time.

Front loader, so I do need an extra rinse or two.  I use baking soda in the cold rinse.  And haven't any stinks with baby.  I definitely am going to cut down on the third cycle for sure and give them an extra good run everty couple of weeks like you suggest.  WHY did I not think about this??? Talk about unnecessary work for myself!

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

Old 01-20-2012, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Do I have extreme exhaustion? hahahahahaha!!! I'm not sure what the definition of that is but I can't remember not being tired... I should go get it checked though.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 01-20-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katico View Post

Front loader, so I do need an extra rinse or two.  I use baking soda in the cold rinse.  And haven't any stinks with baby.  I definitely am going to cut down on the third cycle for sure and give them an extra good run everty couple of weeks like you suggest.  WHY did I not think about this??? Talk about unnecessary work for myself!

How come you need an extra rinse or two with a front loader? I have one and have not needed this...that I know of. Probably you're right, you won't get the stink with the tiny baby pee, plus it has absolutely NO time to oxidize and get extra stinky.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:07 AM

Extra rinse since there's less water - isn't that like, diaper 101??  Am I crazy? I definitely got stinks when I cut out the extra rinse w/dd1....Time to experiment

It's snowing here, DD1 is ecstatic.  About to trudge out in it.  I mean, I'm about to make magical childhood memories  by fostering a love of the outdoors in my precious child.  

It looks cold.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Tell us WHAT?  Is someone pregnant???

Front loader vs. top loader:  When I had a front loader I had to do an extra rinse, and every ten days or so I did a sanitary super hot cycle on them or else my diapers stank.  Now that I'm using a top loader in the shared laundry at our new place, no stink.  No extra rinse.  Cold short cycle, then regular hot cycle, ta da! No stink.  Front loader:  all stink, all the time.  LOVE the top loaders for diapers!  I've had two top loaders and two front loaders in my cloth diapering career and I would choose a top loader every time!

I'm on day four of the most awful diarrhea I've ever had in my life.  I was going 5-10 times an hour last night!  I haven't left the house since Tuesday.  Now I'm going to try to walk up to the doctor without crapping myself (which I've done three times in as many days, no kidding!!!!!!) and see what's up and what I can take while breastfeeding.  This is awful. 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 01-20-2012, 10:16 AM

With our front loader I put it on heavy duty wash and press the extra rinse extra soak buttons and I use detergient and a little green max pro and they are clean. It takes about 2 hrs but I don't have to check it or anything. Takes forever to dry though. I should probably hang them and it might take less time. My dryer needs the tubes de-lented I think.

lifeguard- I know exhaustion is hard to define with small children BUT definately check it out. There is nothing they can do but there are other things to be concerned about so they can rule them out.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:18 AM

starling we posted at the same time: I hope you get that resolved, diareah is the WORST!

Forget to mention I use a hot water wash.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

That is evil to leave us all wondering!! LOL!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Old 01-20-2012, 10:53 AM

Tell us what?!

Ugh Starling! Feel better!

Diapers: top loader here. One cold short cycle. One hot cycle with extra rinse. I haven't had to strip the baby diapers but had to occasionally with DD1. Toddler pee is some strong stuff! I used the Dharma Trading Company detergent I have for prepping clothes for dying. Works beautifully! I liked it much better then using Dawn. I don't have super hot water here...

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 01-20-2012, 12:11 PM

Oh Starling  :(  I really hope you make it to the dr's and back sans drama :(  That's the worst!

Rosemary, Steph is right - that WAS evil!

I love our front loader for everything but the extra attention diapers require with it!

So, it wasn't cold.  It was frigid.  But worth it.  Look at my happy little pumpkins!

399444_10151195711690105_830330104_22551530_1300797882_n.jpg

Old 01-20-2012, 12:15 PM
~pi

Quote:

I'm fine with telling. Amy May?

No one is pregnant (that I know of!)

Diapers: We just wash them in one go. I set our front-loading washer to pre-wash, extra rinse, and heavy soil. It does the rest. They don't stink. I do make sure to use only a very small amount of detergent.

Reading: I am reading The Rest is Noise right now and it is fabulous. Highly recommend.

In other news, oh my goodness, I did not know one small body could create so much poop. DS1 only pooped every 7-10 days. I miss that. This baby poops multiple times a day. Cloth dipes hold it well, but the disposables, not so much. I had him in a disposable after lunch today b/c all the diaper covers are in the wash, and he pooped all the way up his back. I had to wash him, his clothes, the change table, me, the bouncy seat he had been sitting in ... the whole thing took 45 minutes.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:18 PM
~pi

starling, you can almost certainly have rehydration salts, no? They won't stop anything, but they will make you feel better by preventing dehydration. A DIY version is to just put a teaspoon of salt in a glass of coke. Hugs, and I hope you feel better soon!

Old 01-20-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

I'm fine with telling. Amy May?

You guys are killing us! Out with it!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 01-20-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post

You guys are killing us! Out with it!

I'm ready to revert back to toddler years....

"What is it Mama?"

"Mama- What is it?"

"TELL ME MAMA! TELL ME RIGHT NOW!!!!"

Insert tantrum with high pitched screams, kicking walls and throwing toys winky.gif

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Old 01-20-2012, 02:20 PM

gad i am not the only one going insane!!!!

COME ON LADIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!dizzy.gif

Old 01-20-2012, 02:26 PM
~pi

I can't take keeping people in suspense like this, especially at the end of the day on Friday! Amy May, I am pretty sure that you won't mind sharing, so I hope I am right.

NO ONE IS PREGNANT. (That I know of.) However, I am going to be in Boston next week to give a talk so the three of us are having a little DDC meet-up. I PM'd Rosemary and Amy May because I knew they were both in the area. If there is anyone else in Boston who has not disclosed their location but would like to join us, PM us!

Old 01-20-2012, 02:48 PM

Yeah, that's it. I'm excited to meet 2 great ddc members in real life!

Old 01-20-2012, 02:49 PM

And starling, I'm so sorry. Awful, awful.

Beth, you and your kids are SO cute!

Old 01-20-2012, 03:08 PM
~pi

Quote:

Yeah, that's it. I'm excited to meet 2 great ddc members in real life!

Me too! Sorry for breaking under the pressure of large font. winky.gif

Katico, you are a fantastic mom, and a funny writer. thumb.gif

That reminds me, how do the other DDC babies feel about cold wind in the face? Mine puts it up there somewhere at the level of being poked with sharp things. He gets quite upset and literally foams at the mouth.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:12 PM

Yes, that is our big surprise...a Boston MDC playdate/ mommies lunch.  I was at my old job today and didn't have computer/phone access, so sorry for the terrible suspense!  I feel like I know you all already, but we are looking forward to it.  BTW, Leiahs and Poodge, perhaps we can eventually have a Colorado meetup as well?

Starling- oh gosh, I hope you feel better soon.  That sounds absolutely awful!

Laundry- we have a top loader and for dipes use Country Save powder detergent.  I will wash the diapers on a pre-wash cycle (on autosoak), hot, with a little soap, and then a second heavy cycle with more baby clothes and soap, and put the setting on extra rinse.  I appreciate hearing what you all are doing.  I swear by baking soda and vinegar as a cleaning product, but never have used it in laundry before.  

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
Old 01-20-2012, 03:57 PM

Starling, hope you get to the dr's okay and get something to feel better. That's the worst!

Boston meetup, that sounds like so much fun! We want to see pics! Wish I was up in Boston so I could join you. It would be so fun for all of us here to meet one day. If anyone is ever in The NYC area and wants to meet up let me know, I am on Long Island but very close to Manhattan.

I'm having a really good day! Landon has been a happy and easy baby all day!! I'm so happy it's Friday. Working has been wearing me out. I think I may treat myself to a glass of wine tonight.

Mamas that are using formula, about how many ounces do your babies drink a day? Just wondering if what Landon has been getting is a normal amount. I am still nursing him about 6 times a day, but he seems much happier now that he is also getting formula after he nurses.

Chelsea, loving mama to Landon, born 11/3

Old 01-20-2012, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

That reminds me, how do the other DDC babies feel about cold wind in the face? Mine puts it up there somewhere at the level of being poked with sharp things. He gets quite upset and literally foams at the mouth.

oh my gosh, DD HATES cold wind in the face.  she makes this weird puckery mouth, foams a bit, and waggles her head around.  

glad the suspense is over - how great y'all are doing a meet-up!

starling - oh, poor poor mama greensad.gif.  hope you made it to the doctor's without incident.

dipes - we have a top-loader.  we do cold prewash (water only), hot n' heavy wash with detergent and a cold rinse and then an extra rinse.  no stink issues with dipes...although we do tend to get stink issues with covers.

tantrums - DS has been having major tantrums at bed/nap time this week.  this afternoon no naptime fuss.  why?  because i bribed him with making pumpkin pie.  he had picked up a can of pumpkin at the co-op earlier in the week and told me we could make pumpkin pie.  i said ok, we could on the weekend.  today i told him we could make it after nap if he had no "big fuss" at naptime.  he just woke up and is presently having a fuss over DH telling him he can get his own slippers from his room.  oy yoy yoy.

katico - you all look happily bundled.

afm - DD seems to have finally succumbed to all the germs in our house.  she's been coughing a bunch and seems to be dealing with an excessive amount of drool mixed with mucus (causing some big spit-ups, too).  so far not too congested (knock on lots of wood).  and...she vocalized using her "real voice" today (as opposed to the usual breathy and grunty and sigh-ey baby sounds)!  she said "eh!" and then "eh!" and then "uh eh!"  and nothing since.  also, i got some kinda giggles/chuckles from her by singing "poop poop poooopieee poop poop poop poooopie" to the tune of the star wars theme song.  it's the little things.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

Old 01-20-2012, 04:23 PM

Oh a meet up!!! I am so jealous! If you do end up doing a CO. meet up let me know, depending on where in colorado I might be able to make it. I am in New Mexico so only about 8 hrs  drive from Denver

Wind- None of my kids have liked wind. NOT ONE BIT!

chelsea- I am so glad Landon had a great day! isn't it nice when they give you a bit o happy.

Katico- brrrrr it looks cold. It has been like spring here. Crazy!

User Tag List