Chat Thread: Jan 9 - Someone Starts a New One - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 237 Old 01-20-2012, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Chelsea: We offer formula after nursing, she takes any where from 12-20 oz per day right now.  How much does Landon take?  I've been wondering what others were at as well.

Boston meeting: You ladies have fun!  That sounds fabulous.

Cold air: She has a distinct "cry" for this.  More, she spits.  And foams.  It is the funniest/weirdest sound I've ever heard and she only does it when her face is exposed to the very cold air.  Glad to know she isn't the only baby who turns into a rabid dog when cold.

Starling: That sounds terrible.  I do hope you are feeling better soon (and it is contained to you so you don't have little ones with it!)  Let us know how you are doing.

Diapers: This is quite helpful.  Right now, what I'm doing is a pre-rinse, wash on normal with heavy soil setting  with warm/cold  water in my front loader.  I use homemade detergent and oxyclean.  Is there anything that really helps with staining besides the sun?  Won't have any of that here for a bit....Also, are diaper sprayers worth it when they get bigger?  Right now, she just poops about once a day and I run down to the basement to rinse in the utility sink.  But I imagine when they get bigger, things get messier.

Katico: Brave weathering the weather!  Hope your DD1 had fun!

AFM: I taught my first class since being back to work last night.  It was okay, I'm out of practice.  Plus, the room we were in had a window, and I was just watching the snow coat the driveway, anxious about driving my shit-in-snow car in it.  I did some serious cooking today.  Made barley soup, stuffed portabello mushrooms, bread, an asian slaw, and I'm debating cookies.  Baby gets chill when I'm cooking (I think it is a combo of the smells and heat), so on days like today, I seem to do a lot of it!

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#122 of 237 Old 01-20-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~pi View Post
That reminds me, how do the other DDC babies feel about cold wind in the face? Mine puts it up there somewhere at the level of being poked with sharp things. He gets quite upset and literally foams at the mouth.

Somehow Malcolm always manages to bury his face under his hood and against my chest on cold windy days.  I'm glad.  I worry about the cold with babies, especially combined with wind.  He never seems to complain, though.  Just hides away from it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy May View Post

Yes, that is our big surprise...a Boston MDC playdate/ mommies lunch.  I was at my old job today and didn't have computer/phone access, so sorry for the terrible suspense!  I feel like I know you all already, but we are looking forward to it.  BTW, Leiahs and Poodge, perhaps we can eventually have a Colorado meetup as well?

Starling- oh gosh, I hope you feel better soon.  That sounds absolutely awful!

Laundry- we have a top loader and for dipes use Country Save powder detergent.  I will wash the diapers on a pre-wash cycle (on autosoak), hot, with a little soap, and then a second heavy cycle with more baby clothes and soap, and put the setting on extra rinse.  I appreciate hearing what you all are doing.  I swear by baking soda and vinegar as a cleaning product, but never have used it in laundry before.  

I think a Colorado meet-up would be so fun!  :)  I'm glad there will be a Boson get-together - how happy for you all involved!!  (and yes, I agree- you MUST take and share pictures!)

Starling, yes, your situation sounds horrific.  I truly do hope you're well very very soon!

Laundry - Oy, the bane of my existence.  The *bare minimum* I need to do on a weekly basis is about 6-7 loads.  That's not at all counting towels or bed linens, neither of which get washed even half as often as they should, or extra laundry that has to happen when one of my boys has a pee accident.  Which is surprisingly often, sometimes.  Our laundry options are coin-op community laundry ($2.25 total for wash/dry) or going to MIL's and spending the day there to do laundry with her high-efficiency-but-utterly-crappy-at-cleaning top-loader.  (Seriously, unless I put it on an hour-long setting meant for the dirtiest clothes on earth, you can still smell armpit stink on DH's shirts, and dirt won't come out of the kids' clothes.)  We tend to opt for using MIL's washer/dryer.  But neither one is a great option.  $70+/month to do it all at my convenience just down the hall, or interrupting life to stop and do laundry at MIL's for a whole day at least once per week?  (I suppose it's no wonder that towels and sheets/etc. get done so infrequently.)  I'm glad I decided not to cloth diaper in this situation.  But I do miss CD'ing.  I used to do diaper washes every 2-3 days with a cold rinse, a small amount of soap in a hot wash, and then an extra rinse.  I also used vinegar in the rinse, like others are saying, but not regularly.  Just when I felt like it, lol.  Every month or so I did an extra hot wash or two.  I had a regular ol' top loader.

ETA regarding stains, since I was typing when livacreature posted.  You could try this method with dawn + hydrogen peroxide.  I've never tried it, but it sure looks like it works on other difficult stains.

AFM, I am suddenly not sleeping well at night.  Malcolm's still waking only once during the night, though it varies between 4am-7am.  But all week this week, I've been dreaming more intensely than usual, and waking frequently.  I'd say at least every 3 hours, often more like every 2 hours.  I feel so tired and zombiefied during the day.  I guess Malcolm really has been spoiling me with his good sleep, for me to have forgotten what I *normally* feel like with an infant in the house!  I can't figure out why I'm waking up, though.  :(  I'm also failing at meal planning.  Here it is 4:30, and I have yet to figure out what we're going to be eating for dinner.  Yesterday I was so determined to finally have a decently cooked dinner, after having grocery shopped and cleaned up the kitchen and everything in preparation for it.... and then I didn't even manage to get it on the table until 7:15pm.  Usually dinner is late if it's at 6, and I usually have my kids already on their way to bed at 7pm.  Tonight may be eggs and waffles, because there's no way I'm dragging everyone to the store at this point.  And (and, and...) I haven't been good about keeping easy snacks in the house, either.  It's a good thing my kids like yogurt, and that we just went to Costco and got a whole bunch of it this week, because that's about all they're eating for snack the last few days.  I think my 3yo alone has had something like 8 yogurts in the last 24 hours.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#123 of 237 Old 01-20-2012, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Well, a stool sample and some immodium later, the risk for crapping my pants has lowered exponentially.  Phew.

Meet-up ... Fun!  My Feb '09 ddc here is still super close, and we've never met in person.  How cool! 

Diaper sprayers ... I didn't see the need with my older child.  Once she started solids, her poops were more formed and I could just knock the solids into the loo.  I don't even rinse them now.  Just put them into the dry pail and then wash as is. 

Staining ... I don't worry too much about discolouring and staining.  I put the diapers in the sun a few times each summer and they whiten up nicely.

Formula ... I offer a supplement every three-four hours or so, at the breast, with none overnight.  So he gets about 12-16oz a day?  Roughly. 

Cold wind ... We don't get a lot of super cold wind here, but he's carried facing me, so tend to bury his face in and get cozy regardless. 

Meal planning ... We're in a slump here too.  When my dp is at work (and I'm sick) I'm doing a lot of Muffin Tin Meals in 6-muffin-pans.  Put a bit of something in each spot and, voila, your child is impressed!  Blueberries, cukes, cheese, ham, crackers, raisins, tofu, little PB&J sammies, pretzels, carrots, chickpeas, pasta, etc.  My favourite go-to in a pinch!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#124 of 237 Old 01-20-2012, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

diaper sprayers - we never purchased one, but we found rice paper liners to be awesome for dealing with poops once they start solids.  just throw the liner and attached poopiness into toilet and flush.  http://www.amazon.com/Imse-Vimse-Flushable-Liner-pieces/dp/B0009A3I5K

as for stains...yeah, we just put ours in the sun every so often in summer.  i know some mamas who did a few at a time by the back window of their cars in colder weather. never tried it myself.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#125 of 237 Old 01-20-2012, 05:59 PM

Meet-up:  Not gonna lie - super jealous!!!!  Pictures please!!

Saoirse mentioned her cross country move on her last post - she's actually moving about an hour from me!  Hoping to meet her sometime and introduce our babies who were competing for birth order, haha

Formula:  Not that I think you should use my EFF/ 10+lb at birth baby as any sort of guideline, but since you asked....I would guess she probably has....hmm, 40+ oz a day right now? I'll pay more attention tomorrow and keep a count!  I'm curious now and that doesn't sound like as much as she actually drinks ;)

Snow:  Yep, we got a fair bit of it here today.  Which means I am destined to be going out and "playing" in it again tomorrow (read: standing around, bouncing the baby who screams at the first hint of a breath of cold wind hitting her face, while explaining to DD1 that No, Mama cannot get down and make snow angels with her.  

It also means DH is stuck away from us tonight, he's been gone for a day and night already for work and decided not to risk it and drive back tonight.  I'm relieved but hate being the only one here.

Attention internet creepsters: my husband may be away but I am heavily armed and dangerous.  I WILL cut you.  fencing.gif

lol.gif

Leiahs: sucky laundry options!  Maybe you should offer to chip in part of the cost of a new washer for your MIL?  Cheaper long-term than coin-op and at least your time there would be productive!

Meals: a slump here, too.  Not main meals - i.e. breakfast (cereal and fruit or oatmeal most days) or supper (always good suppers here, I prioritize cooking interesting meals - it is something I enjoy that I can actually accomplish with kids in tow most days)  But, my issue is feeding the ravenous toddler snack and lunch.  I also tend to do muffin tin esque meals, a little bit of a lot of things, but I have been uninspired lately and she's been eating too many sweet things  fruit, muffins, PB sandwiches....I need to step up my game.  Her very favourite little snacks are nori sheets, broccolli and dip and any kind of fruit.  

Starling: So glad to hear you have found some relief......picturing you in the pepto bismol lineup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XghJuH6GSCo

PS, how much do you have to pay someone to play "diarrhea"??

PPS: check out this unofficial set of commercials!  BAHAHAHA!!!  inthet.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YywdqRMcv84&feature=related

Diaper sprayer: never had one...never wished for one!  Just sounds so...messy and....spray -...y......

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#126 of 237 Old 01-20-2012, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

starling - glad you're feeling a bit better!

wind - ds always loooooved the wind but in costa rica it was much warmer than up here in canada. Dd does not like it. She stiffens & shakes her head & has a hard time catching her breath - poor babe.

katico - that is exactly what playing in the snow is like. I actually enjoy playing in the snow but not with a baby in tow.

Dh just came out of ds' room after being summoned. While in there he was informed by ds that he wants a dollhouse, his finger fits in his penis & that we should install a sink in his bedroom. Heeheehee.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#127 of 237 Old 01-21-2012, 02:28 PM

Meet up - Sounds fun! 

Starling - glad you're feeling better. Hope you can get by without the medicine sometime soon.

Wind - this child HATES cold/wind.  She sort of chokes like she can't breathe.

Playing in snow - Katico, yup. That about sums up how my snow experience was this morning.

Formula - she takes about 20 oz.  I believe an exclusively FF baby is supposed to take 2.5 times her weight at this age.

Diaper washing - I think I need to strip at least some of mine - I've never done it. It's probably mostly the ones DD used for nighttime for years that are funky.  I used to just use our regular free/clear detergent on them, which I now know is supposed to be awful for diapers.  I have just been doing a hot wash, cold rinse with an extra rinse.  If I have time I soak them 1st.  I've never had trouble with staining, just stink.

Thanks for the pep talk re: baby's weight.  I hope the zantac does something.  Otherwise I'm kind of at a loss.  Lots of goo is still coming out of baby's ear.  Thanks for the reminder on garlic Rosemary -- I used to use garlic mullein oil on DD1 and it seemed to help.  Unfortunately the bottle exploded on our last trip out of state ALL over the rest of our bathroom stuff.  Garlic-scented toothbrush, anyone?

#128 of 237 Old 01-21-2012, 02:44 PM

Starling, so glad you are feeling better!  I love the idea of muffin tin meals.

I'm inspired to try sun-bleaching our dipes soon.  They don't smell, but today I put a clean one on her that was so stained I thought it hadn't been washed.  It was still in perfect poop imprint form too.  We did get a sprayer for when she's eating solids, and someone gave us those diaper liners too, but we haven't used them.

When we go outside, I usually put Palesa into the moby and zip her up in my jacket.  Twice recently out in the cold, she's actually leaned backwards and stuck her neck out into the wind.  I was doing everything I could to pull her closer into me and block the wind with my coat, but it was as if she was leaning into it! 

This morning we had a little reunion for my midwifery class, but half of us couldn't make it due to the snow here.  Still, it was really nice to get together.  

Good news- landlord came back to us and has agreed to our proposal- to let us leave at the end of the month with no further rent, heating, or other payments, and to return our security deposit.  This is very good news!

Okay, nak, and my nose is running, so have to sign off. 

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#129 of 237 Old 01-21-2012, 04:32 PM

Children need to sleep.  

Serenity Now.

om.gif

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#130 of 237 Old 01-21-2012, 04:49 PM

I bf dd today in the wrap while outside in the snow. Very proud of my big boobs!

#131 of 237 Old 01-21-2012, 05:52 PM

Way to go, lifeguard

Awesome news, Amy!  I'm so glad that battle is done and over with. 

Speaking of babywearing ... I went out into the world with H on my back in the Ergo.  I felt like a FREE WOMAN!!!  I could even pick up dd when she needing some comforting!  Oh, how I've been longing for this moment!  Blessed freedom!  I'm finally feeling better, so I took dd to her favourite cupcake store (yay for gluten free cupcakes) and we had a lovely time, only get a few odd looks as I slung the baby back onto my back when it was time to leave.  Then there was a bluegrass band playing on the street, so we boogied to that.  Accordian, stand up bass and two banjos ... FUN! 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#132 of 237 Old 01-21-2012, 07:14 PM

Oh - I've been thinking of trying dd in the ergo on my back - now I'm going to! I looooooved it with ds but he was 7 months when I got the ergo.

#133 of 237 Old 01-21-2012, 11:06 PM

With my first child I didn't put her on my back until she was a year or so, but I realized she could've gone on my back way earlier. She was much smaller, mind you, but even still ... H loved it! And if he falls asleep I can just hook up the hood and he can snooze away. Yay for easy back carries! I can save my yummy wraps for better weather and use the Ergo for easy on and off. Honestly, I felt like a million bucks! And I can be a much more hands on mama to my older child when I have her brother on my back. Joy!
lifeguard likes this.

#134 of 237 Old 01-22-2012, 07:48 AM

Oh dear.  DH has a man-cold.  Yes, a full-fledged man cold.  I asked him if we should take him to the hospital, but he said he didn't think so.  He said it was like labor, except minus the contractions and the uterus.  He said he hoped he didn't throw up as much as I did during labor.

I just tried a back-carry in the moby, but wasn't 100% confident in it, and Palesa was sleeping anyway, so I just left my 2 sleeping babies on the bed while I pack.  Luckily, we have 2 friends coming by to help today, but we don't have time for DH to be out of commission like this!  

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#135 of 237 Old 01-22-2012, 08:07 AM

oh Amy May - the dreaded man-cold. Seriously - like labour?!

#136 of 237 Old 01-22-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:

Oh dear.  DH has a man-cold.  Yes, a full-fledged man cold.  I asked him if we should take him to the hospital, but he said he didn't think so.  He said it was like labor, except minus the contractions and the uterus.  He said he hoped he didn't throw up as much as I did during labor.

biglaugh.gif

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#137 of 237 Old 01-22-2012, 08:51 AM

Backcarry: I haven't tried yet, probably will when we are harness free.  Seems like it would be helpful to have an extra set of hands to get lo situated?   In the moby, do you just wrap it backwards?

Weather: We only got about five inches yesterday, but it was enough to get my superlight, not snow friendly car stuck in the middle of our back alley for about two hours while we weaseled it back in the garage.  Baby was not happy being left alone in the house while we dug it out.  It was the second time I've used a baby monitor, I stuck her in her crib (longest she's ever been in it) and she wailed.  I ran in to check on her every ten minutes or so, but I did feel bad.  It was too cold to have her out, and it doesn't seem safe to push a car and babywear. lol  Poor dear. 

Amy: Cold=labor?  HAHAHA.

Hip update: Should be in harness just at night starting in two weeks.  I can't wait to snuggle her for hours on end without the damned thing being in the way.

I'm so proud of myself.  I've made our meals from scratch every day this week.  And not just something like stirfry or chilis.  Real food.  I think I'm getting in a groove.  I need to go to the fabric store, there are some projects I want to work on.  We're going to start renovating our downstairs soon.  I'm so excited about it.  It is a slow process, but hopefully by fall we will have painted, ripped out all the carpet and finished the hardwoods, redo our fireplace and mantle, build bookshelves....BWAHAHAHA.  We have a tv in the basement, but the living room is going to be more of a technology-free library.  We have a giant mirror that is ugly as sin over our fireplace, we're going to remove it and put it in the baby's room and make a "performance" area for her to gawk at herself in.  The mirror is about four feet tall, and five feet wide, so it should be fun for quite a few years.  I'm also painting a magnetic chalkboard under her window.  A friend of mine who lives in the neighborhood has volunteered her apartment to babysit while we're doing the nasty stuff that might have lead in it.  I've never had NEW things or decorated things the way I wanted, it has always been whatever was used and cheap.  Not this time.  I'm not buying it unless it is exactly what I want, even if it takes longer to purchase.  I am so glad to really be feeling like myself again.  I was in a long period of depression before getting pregnant, and the pregnancy was so draining, I was beginning to wonder if that was going to be my normal.  Guess not.  :)  I am feeling so content, so motivated.  I love my girl, I love our house, and I love the stability I'm feeling. 

#138 of 237 Old 01-22-2012, 01:02 PM
~pi

livacreature, you sound so happy! love.gif

Amy May, hang in there! (Cold = labour, huh? biglaugh.gif)

lifeguard, hooray for outdoor nursing! We did that over the holidays on a hike up north and it was COLD! I had to stop, sit on a rock, and pull out the equipment, though.

backcarry: I've back carried a bunch around the house, but have only done outings when DH has been with me. I can totally get the kid on and off my back with a couch or bed right there, but am not confident about my ability to do it without a soft surface. Also, I need mirrors or another person there to indulge my paranoia about making sure baby is still breathing every twelve milliseconds.

I am polishing my presentation and packing for Boston. WTF was I thinking in agreeing to give a talk and attend a meeting solo with baby?! I know that I will be glad to have done it once it's over, but I am doubting my decision now. At least I have a meetup to look forward to as part of the deal!

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#139 of 237 Old 01-22-2012, 02:07 PM

livacreature - so great to hear you are doing so well!

afm - mil rant of the day. She was over this morning & changed the picture in one of my frames I had displayed! Who the heck does that?!

#140 of 237 Old 01-22-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

afm - mil rant of the day. She was over this morning & changed the picture in one of my frames I had displayed! Who the heck does that?!

bigeyes.gif

livacreature: so glad you are coming out of the funk. I have been there and it is just so freeing. Like you can breath fresh air again instead of muggy air.

backcarry- I have done it a few times w/ dd2 but she is so far down in it I can't tell if she is breathing and don't like it. I will wait till she is older. I put her on fine by myself though. I start like I am putting her on the front and then just slide her around my left hip and onto my back (this is in the ergo) works great.

Amy may- biglaugh.gif

AFM- feeling swallowed by my laundry and a cluttered house. Dh took off while I was napping to watch football and who knows when he will be back. We went skiing yesterday which was a blast BUT the unpacking, etc. is so exhausting. Hoping I can p-up a bit so I don't feel so overwhelmed. It doesn't have to be perfect but if I could see my couches and walk w/out tripping I would be happy. It is amazing what me napping for 1 1/2 hours does to my house.

Saphira's 2nd tooth is about to cut through and she is very very unhappy!!! It seems the other one cut through and then did nothing. It is just barely peeking out and has been like that for about 4 weeks

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#141 of 237 Old 01-22-2012, 02:28 PM
~pi

Quote:

What?! What an odd thing to do. Hello, boundaries. Was she in the photo or something?

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#142 of 237 Old 01-22-2012, 06:39 PM

I am quite tired, but just wanted to say that Landon has about 20-24 ounces of formula a day.

Can't believe the weekend is already over greensad.gif

Will try to write more tomorrow!

Chelsea, loving mama to Landon, born 11/3

#143 of 237 Old 01-22-2012, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I wonder how much milk my breastfed baby drinks a day. All those ounces sound like a lot!

Beth, I was JUST thinking about Saoirse and wishing she'd come back to the ddc. I hope you get to meet her! Also, your muffin tin meals sound inspired and not slumpish at all. My poor ds. He doesn't like eating anyways, unless it is salami or ice cream, so his lunches are sort of random. And I loved your pepto commercials, especially the Christmas one. Thanks for the laugh.

Quote:

Dh just came out of ds' room after being summoned. While in there he was informed by ds that he wants a dollhouse, his finger fits in his penis & that we should install a sink in his bedroom. Heeheehee.

ROTFLMAO.gif

Quote:

When we go outside, I usually put Palesa into the moby and zip her up in my jacket.  Twice recently out in the cold, she's actually leaned backwards and stuck her neck out into the wind.  I was doing everything I could to pull her closer into me and block the wind with my coat, but it was as if she was leaning into it! 

Iona likes the cold wind, too. If she is crying, she'll stop if I go out into it. I'm excited to meet you IRL tomorrow! Sucks about the man cold, but yay about the landlady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livacreature View Post I've never had NEW things or decorated things the way I wanted, it has always been whatever was used and cheap.  Not this time.  I'm not buying it unless it is exactly what I want, even if it takes longer to purchase.  I am so glad to really be feeling like myself again.  I was in a long period of depression before getting pregnant, and the pregnancy was so draining, I was beginning to wonder if that was going to be my normal.  Guess not.  :)  I am feeling so content, so motivated.  I love my girl, I love our house, and I love the stability I'm feeling. 

This is so wonderful to read! I'm so happy for you. And as far as the house, you may like this quote from William Morris who was instrumental in the Arts and Crafts movement: “If you want a golden rule that will fit everything, this is it: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.” I try to keep this in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

I am polishing my presentation and packing for Boston. WTF was I thinking in agreeing to give a talk and attend a meeting solo with baby?! I know that I will be glad to have done it once it's over, but I am doubting my decision now. At least I have a meetup to look forward to as part of the deal!

I'm glad you're crazy and are doing this, because I GET TO MEET YOU IN PERSON!

AFM: I finally got my maternity clothing out of my closet and dresser this weekend. And I photographed what was sell-able to list on Ebay. Now the listing will be another story. Iona is teething and gnawing on her hands a lot. I believe it's the bottom two teeth, but that molar and canine are still very white and near the surface. I'm not sure what is going on, and I thought those bigger teeth could not be out so early. We shall see!

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#144 of 237 Old 01-22-2012, 07:19 PM

teeth - oh my goodness - it's hard to believe there are teeth coming! Ds didn't get teeth until just before he turned one so I don't expect to see anything in dd's mouth anytime soon but man does she like to chew sometimes.

pi - the picture was of my sil & her family, oddly the picture she covered was of sil's ds (our godson). Not sure what the heck she was thinking. She's been a jewel this week - she did some cleaning while she was watching ds the other day (yeah & yeah!) but she put a dirty blanket onto dh's bed from the floor, folded dirty diapers from the floor & hung up a dirty towel from the floor. I know I'm not the world's best housekeeper but seriously, does she think I put clean clothes & linens all over the floor where the cats/dogs will lie on them? The diapers in particular made me laugh (none were poopy but still!).

#145 of 237 Old 01-23-2012, 07:45 AM

Lifeguard: That's so funny.  Points for good intentions...but that picture things is weird.

Rosemary: I love that quote. 

You Boston ladies have fun.  Pi, I hope your presentation goes well!

Baby has started gently waking herself and it is so sweet.  It starts with coos and yells, turns to giggles.  Best way to start the day.  She has also deciided that pulling hair while nursing is awesome, so my hair is now permanently in a bun.  Except when she refuses to nurse...then I let her tug it and she nurses like a champ.  Weirdo, I tell you.  Why pulling it improves her experience at times, I can only guess.

#146 of 237 Old 01-23-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

lifeguard - your DS made me chuckle and think, "of course.  why else would he need his dad to come in except to tell him three such very profound things."

amy may - glad to hear things are sorted with the landlady.

maternity clothes - mine are all cleaned and packed away.  i don't plan on ever needing them again, but i'm gonna hold onto them for now so i can keep noodging my sister about how i have them all ready for her whenever she may need them whistling.gif.

sickies - just took DD to the doctor.  she's on day 5 of her cold/illness.  her coughs went from sounding productive to sounding like she was trying to make them productive and failing miserably.  last night at bedtime she had a coughing fit right after nursing and then majorly threw up everything she had just eaten greensad.gif.  that was at 10:30pm.  then she didn't nurse again until about 6:30am (when i woke her to do so).  she's not really congested, but we're still having a hard time with nursing.  it's like her latch and ability to stay on have gone to shit with this illness...even though she can breathe through her nose fine.  don't know what that's about, but i'm defrosting the one bag of breastmilk i had stored in the freezer so i can give her smaller amounts via syringe throughout the day.  and we're doing "steamies" in the bathroom 2-3 times a day, and saline up the nose.  anyway, the CNP said that her lungs sound fine, but that RSV is "in the area and making the rounds."  Eesh!  So, maybe she and DS have been dealing with RSV...or maybe not.  Crossing all my fingers and toes there's no complications.

Nosefrida question - for those who love it...do you use it with or without the filter?  I was one of the people who said I felt it was really hard to use.  The other day I decided to try again, but take out the filter so that i would hopefully be able to apply more forceful sucking.  My thought was that it was kinda unlikely that the germs would really travel all the way up the tube to my mouth...but that even if they did, any germs DD has I most likely already have, too.

Boston - post photos!

afm - went out for "mamas night" last night...supposed to be with the playgroup mamas, but one was sick, and one has a 1 month old and didn't feel ready to venture out, so it was just two of us.  we went to this great local place that does their own brewing and makes great flatbreads (not lowly pizzas, mind you...very high-brow flatbreads instead).  got my drink on (i got a 13 oz. glass and could totally feel it after drinking about 1/3 of it...sheesh).

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#147 of 237 Old 01-23-2012, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

sadness. pi's flight was changed and now i won't be able to meet her or amy may.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#148 of 237 Old 01-23-2012, 11:49 AM

Hi all.

Sorry about the flight changes. The meet up sounded like fun!

Back Carries: I've done it a few times with my woven wrap. It was my understanding that back carries weren't recommended with jersey wraps like the moby. Might be wrong on that but I think it's because they are stretchy and don't offer the same stability that a woven wrap does. Worth looking into if that is what you are using.  I haven't gotten our ergo out yet- I should and see what she thinks of it. I'm just loving how comfy she is in the woven that I haven't used much else. I do use the ring sling for quick trips in and out of the car but prefer the woven by far.

We have lots of snow and cold around here. Maeve usually snuggles into my chest and sleeps when we are out in it.

I think her teeth are coming as well. DD1 had 2 teeth pop up just as she turned 4 months so I'm not surprised. She is a bit fussy, chewing like crazy, and a drool machine. Hoping they come in soon! I can't see a thing though.

Hope you are all well!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#149 of 237 Old 01-23-2012, 12:37 PM

oh rosemary big bummer:(  I am so sorry. Dissapointments like that really wear at me.

not-telling- hoping your dd feels better soon.

sue- we love the ergo in front carry, especially for ec, because I can take her in and out so much easier than other carriers.

livacreature- that sounds so sweet how she wakes up. My dd does a similar thing. She is the only one of my kids that has done that. Usually they wake up at a full scream (unless I am right next to them).

AFM- my ds2 is the MDA shamrock ambassador for our state so we have been invited to Furrs Diner tonight. I have never eaten there but hey they are paying for it and i don't have to cook. I am super stoked. Plus ds gets to give a little talk and present the lead shamrock seller with a t-shirt. He is pretty excited (we all are).

Dd2's second tooth is almost through and I can't wait, she is so crabby. She mellowed out right after her first popped through so I am hoping for the same with this one.

got my house manageable yesterday (not perfect by any means) just manageable.

Dh and I looked at a house this morning (we look ocassionally if we see something available). It was decent and a decent price but although our house is small it is just perfect and we haven't found a perfect house yet. This one sure had more space which we could really use and was in a decent neighborhood BUT moving just seems like so much work and the back yard is zeroscaped (who does that to a backyard) so all the rocks would have to be removed or my kids couldn't play back there. Lame. I sure would like more space but I love our house so I guess we aren't ready:).

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#150 of 237 Old 01-23-2012, 01:13 PM

back carries:  With jersey Moby's ... I've always heard that they weren't safe too?  I love my wovens for back carries, but I find that the ergo is the best for quick ups and downs.  Have any of you had your littles barf down your back?  H did that the other day.  So gross.  I could *not* get him off fast enough as it oozed inside my shirt and down my spine.  Blargh! 

housework:  Again, loving the back carry for this.  I got the whole place vacuumed, washed the bathroom floors, did the sheets, and then dd shut a door on the baby (while he was on my back) and that was the end of that.  This is the carry that I'm enjoying for wriggly babies.   H really likes to 'stand' in carries, so this is a good, secure one for him. 

teeth:  I'm sure H is working on his ... I can see the nubs under his gums, and he's chewing everything and drooling like crazy.  My daughter didn't get her first tooth until she was fifteen months old (!) so I'd be very surprised if anything shows anytime soon.

rosemary ... What a drag.  So sorry that you're going to miss out!  I live by the Morris quote, by the way.  Love it!

not_telling ... Good for you for getting out! 

liv ... So cute about waking up sweet.  H does too, often just grinning wildly at me in the dark. 

Hello everyone else ... I'm revamping my professional website, so I have to go take some photos for that and gather some info for my web designer.  Thankfully, dd is occupied with a box of pipe cleaners and a bag of feathers and the baby is fed and changed and rested and happy.  Must take advantage of it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page