Forum Jump: 

#181 of 237 Old 01-26-2012, 11:41 AM
~pi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katico View Post

Dudes, watch this video - it just made me burst out in tears.  I can't wait to have another baby!  (you know what I mean)

http://marvelouskiddo.blogspot.com/2012/01/birth-story-of-week-in-front-seat-of.html

WOW! That was awesome. "I just had the baby in the car. Should I come there?"

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#182 of 237 Old 01-26-2012, 12:46 PM

Rosemary: I just cut my hair sing your method! Love it! You rock, thanks! :0

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#183 of 237 Old 01-26-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

Which brings me to, volunteer work: I already do some locally, but I am thinking about adding some more this year while I have more spare time. I am looking for ideas right now. I'm trying to figure out what I can realistically add that would make the most difference. What sorts of things do you do/have you heard of?

Not sure where your interests lie, but if you are crafty Project Night Night (homeless youth or youth in crisis) or Operation Linus (children who are hospitalized for serious medical issue/nicu) are both fantastic organizations if you do blankets.  A few times a year I do soup kitchen work.  For a while I did some eighth grade mentor work out of schools, which was pretty awesome.  It is fun because you really can focus on cultivating interests (my kids were almost illiterate when we started, but one worked on writing rap, the other made a webpage using basic HTML, both really helped their reading skills).  Also, in a lot of area there are parent mentor programs, I have a friend who meets a few times a month with women in high risk populations and offers support/advice/resource connections.  It sounds really cool.

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#184 of 237 Old 01-26-2012, 01:29 PM

Pi, you might want to offer your time to speak to Girl Guide units in your area.  When I was a leader we were always looking for women in non-traditional careers, especially the sciences, to talk to the girls about what they did.  You could just leave your name and contact at the local Guiding office!

We always did a lot of service work in my unit - the food kitchens often accept sandwiches or a casserole if you sign up for a certain day.  The food banks often need help with their stock and boxing.  The domestic abuse shelters for women and their children need  toiletries, toys and clothing.  We sewed a quilt for the children's hospital once.  I always knit my scrap yarn into hats and mittens for the shelter.  I don't know if you have a prison in your area but they often have programs that provide social activities for the women prisoners.  

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#185 of 237 Old 01-26-2012, 01:34 PM

Any tips on balancing out mommy preference at this age?  DH is with DD almost as much as I am, when we're both home, we split her care pretty equitably, but in the past week, she just isn't happy when he's taking care of her.  He'll do everything to sooth her, I take her and she stops fussing instantly.  He has historically been the one to put her to sleep at night, but she's just not having it.  Should this pass quickly?  We do things so similar, I wasn't expecting a strong preference so early, especially since DH is so hands on. 

#186 of 237 Old 01-26-2012, 02:18 PM

mommy preference - I have the opposite problem, they have both loved their daddy....more than me sometimes, haha. weird since he is home so little

dreams -  I had another one, just that we all joined this big facebook group....and one of you sent me a giant bag of doritos like I was craving, haha!

facebook: I'm so addicted

tv -  Claire loves it too.  Bonus.  DD1 watches a couple of shows here and there and Claire is thrilled to sit in her chair next to Lila, watching the colours of the tv AND her big sister who she finds endlessly amusing.  a few moments of peace of mommy.  Totally terrible parenting.  But somedays.......you just need 20 minutes, yknow?

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#187 of 237 Old 01-26-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trinket90 View Post

Get-together - How exciting that you were able to meet up! Rosemary, so sorry you weren't able to make it. What gorgeous little babies. Does anyone live near Washington, DC? I don't think so. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by livacreature View Post

Trinket: I'm going to be in a DC suburb for my godsister's birthday in Feburary.  If you wanted to get together for lunch or something, I'm sure I could figure it out!  If not this time, we visit a few times a year.  :)  Let me know! 

I live in DC orngbiggrin.gif It would be fun to figure something out!

#188 of 237 Old 01-27-2012, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Katico - sorry about your flood...but how exciting that things will be getting done around your house!  we have a list of odds n' ends like that.....someday....someday...

Pi - So glad that traveling with your lil' one went so well!

Liva - What a relief that your friend reconsidered what she said.

PP Period - A bummer, Katico...I'm fully expecting mine soon.  Got it at 4 months PP with DS and I think he was nursing more often than DD.  Plus, my CM has been seeming kinda "cycle-y" for the last month or so.

Short hair - I did really short hair for a couple years in my 20's, but missed my longer hair.  I don't think I'll ever go back to really short, but there are certainly days when I proclaim that I'm gonna cut it all off.

AP'in - (hee hee...I said peein')  In agreement with what others here have said...you gotta do what works for you.  That said, I do cringe when I hear that someone doesn't seem to be attending to their baby's needs across the board (e.g. scheduling newborns).

AFM - Taking DS (and DD by default) to storytime at our local indie bookstore this morning.  Never done storytime before, but we're meeting DS's "best friend" from preschool and his mom there.  It's gonna be our first social outing together.  The mom seems nice...I hope we hit it off...and I hope they live in the immediate neighborhood cuz somehow almost all our friends live in other neighborhoods/towns/cities.

Also, one of the schools we applied to for DS for next year called and left a message saying to call back (presumably to find out if he was admitted or not).  They called at 12:45pm.  I called back at 1pm.  The admissions person wasn't available, so I left a message...and she never called back.  Ugh.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#189 of 237 Old 01-27-2012, 10:22 AM

not_telling I hope you get good news on the preschool. We only have a couple choices for preschool in our small town. Pretty much if you want in you can get in. they are both religious though and we aren't so much so it doesn't really work for us. Sometimes I do wish there was someplace DD could go for a couple of hours a week though.

it is -2 today! It has been such a cold, snowy winter. I'm really over it. I'm feeling stir crazy and bored and just not happy with being stuck inside so much. Ugh. Please be over soon winter! Wish I had a tropical vacation to look forward to!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#190 of 237 Old 01-27-2012, 10:58 AM

Babywearing:  I tried the Ergo on my back yesterday.  It took some real gymnastics to get it on and filled with baby, and then she didn't really seem to like it that much.  Maybe she just prefers to be smooshed against boobs.  It felt really great for me, though, like maybe I could actually do things while wearing the baby.  We'll try it again in a couple weeks, I think.  Front carry with the Ergo is pretty nice these days too, now that we don't have to use the newborn insert.  

Until now we've used the Moby almost exclusively.  We went to London for Christmas and New Year and wore Junior all over the city in the Moby (DH and I took turns).  It worked so well!  I don't understand why most Londoners insist on taking their babies around in strollers, when the city is so crowded and full of stairs.  Every day we'd pass people carrying strollers up stairs somewhere, one parent hunched over at the front.  Someone needs to teach the English about babywearing.  (We did see a couple Mei Tai style carriers in use, and lots of African mamas had baby in a sling on the back.)  

People who are successful with Ergo on back:  What is your strategy for getting it on?

Hair:  Junior has recently started pulling my hair.  Somehow I don't really mind it, though.  I have shoulder-length hair in sorta-layers and I fantasize about growing it out long again so I can wear braids, but we'll see.  Just this week I think I'm going through the postpartum hair loss thing.  I didn't shed much at all for the last year, and now I pull hairs out whenever I run my fingers through my hair.  I knew that would happen and I'm okay with it; it's just interesting.  Also my hair has been greasy and needing shampoo more often these days, when for years before this I could get my hair clean with water and only used shampoo once in a blue moon.  

Mama preference:  The baby has a definite preference for me.  Sometimes she's okay with dad too, and sometimes only I will do, even if she isn't hungry.  Dad just doesn't have the soft pillowy boobs and tummy like I do, I guess.  (Junior's sleeping on my bare boob RIGHT NOW, looking perfectly angelic I might add.)  I think she's gradually getting more comfortable with Dad - I feel like her mama preference was a lot stronger around 8-12 weeks.  I feel bad for DH when she rejects him, but he seems to take it in stride.  I've been looking at it through the lens of Erik Erikson social development (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erikson's_stages_of_psychosocial_development), which I see as saying the baby will probably need to develop a really secure bond with Mama before she can get that secure with anyone else.  I am so thankful whenever she gets cuddly with DH though, because I want him to experience the wonderful baby love that I get all the time (Also it's nice to get a little baby-free time at home once in a while).  

Birds of prey:  When I was a kid, bald eagles were tremendously rare around here and we never saw them outside of captivity.  Then maybe ten years ago they started coming down to hang out on the river all winter.  They're a regular sight now, but it still makes me incredibly happy to see them.  What amazing birds, and how wonderful that they have recovered so much as a species. 

AP:  I just try not to worry about it.  I assume I do the things I do because human evolutionary history has fine-tuned me that way.  Baby sits in chair while mama finally takes a shower or gets some work done or gets some mama-time lying on the floor playing Angry Birds?  It must be important for the survival of the species or nature would have made me more energetic and attentive.  We do spend an awful lot of time together though and I don't ever leave her to cry or anything like that, and I wake up with her whenever she needs it and I pretty much BF on demand, so probably that's what AP is getting at.  

Facebook:  Yes please.

PPAF:  I had some old blood spotting for a few days around 10 weeks PP (IIRC) and I put it in my chart as a new cycle, but who knows.  I got a Paragard inserted at 6 weeks PP, so that might mess with my cycle too.  Who knows?

AFM:  I started school again last week after taking the fall off.  Junior stays with her grandma (next door lol) for a couple hours three days a week while I go learn.  I need to start adding structured study/research time as well - I was sorta supposed to be writing a paper about the research I did all summer while I was off with the baby this fall, but it just never happened.  I need structured time, preferable in my office on campus, to really focus on work.  At home, the baby is just too distracting and encumbering.  My mom has agreed to take her Wednesday afternoons so I can get a good half day of work time, and probably I will start leaving her with DH in the evenings (he works till 5 every afternoon) so I can leave and get real work done.  

Also, Julia has started goofing around and playing games with my boob when she's bored of eating or just not that hungry.  She'll pretend to latch then jerk away and laugh, or she'll do a weird open-mouthed latch and babble and blow bubbles, or she'll just want to sqiurm around and smack the boobie, and so on.  It's the CUTEST.  I love my girl.

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#191 of 237 Old 01-27-2012, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

TV - ugh.  we did try to shield DS from TV for the first 2 years...and by "shield" I mean not turning on any kids shows for him to watch.  As a baby he was present and accounted for during many grownup shows, but luckily he never seemed that interested (mostly nursing and sleeping).  We stopped watching The Simpsons before dinner once DS started talking about "the daddy" on the show and really paying attention to what was going on. (as an aside, I was mortified when one of my kindergarteners told me he regularly watched "Family Guy" with his mom...talk about inappropriate viewing...but, then, this mom, I can honestly say, left a lot to be desired in the parenting department).  With DD, she is really captivated by the light and movement on the screen, so we try to face her away from it.  I'm not worried about the "no screen time because real interaction with real people is more important" factor, but I remember reading that its not good for babies' physiological development (can't remember if it was eyes or brain or what...)

AKislandgirl - send some snow down here!  it was friggin' 60 degrees here today -- wtf?!  i want my winter to be wintery!

Schools - So....DS was accepted at the Quaker school we applied to.  Phew!  The admissions director said she was trying to include all the good things the preK teachers had to say about him in the acceptance letter, but there was so much that she had to edit stuff out. luxlove.gif  Great to hear, especially after DS comes home from school yesterday with a bandaid on his finger.  What happened?  Another kid (S, who is a year younger) hit him with a toy drill.  Probe some more....  Find out that what most likely happened was that DS and his best buddy were excluding S and S was trying to interact with them and tried to hit DS, maybe because DS tried to take the drill, and instead of telling him not to hit, DS tried to hit back, and then S tried and succeeded in hitting back.  And I'm like, "You do realize that if you just told him not to hit instead of hitting back that you probably wouldn't have gotten hurt."  Not to mention the whole idea of being inclusive.  I feel like I just am not getting through to him when I talk about these things.  And the MOST frustrating part for me is that, before he started preschool, he was sooo good about using his words...which he had to do often with those rough n' tumble boys in our playgroup.

Anyway, tomorrow DS visits the other school we're applying to.

How would y'all feel about your fifth grader spending 2 weeks in Mexico with her/his class and teacher chaperones where the living arrangements for the kids are homestays with people you don't know?

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#192 of 237 Old 01-27-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_telling View Post

How would y'all feel about your fifth grader spending 2 weeks in Mexico with her/his class and teacher chaperones where the living arrangements for the kids are homestays with people you don't know?

Hell no!!!  That was my immediate, gut reaction.  In high school.....maybe,.......and I still wouldn't be comfortable with it but would probably decide the opportunity was worth it and my discomfort/worry  was mostly the irrational sort I will still have when they're 40 and too far away from me;)   

#193 of 237 Old 01-27-2012, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

back carry with ergo - I put the waist strap on & one shoulder (usually my right one) then I put the baby on my left hip & sort of slide the baby under my arm onto my back (while leaning forward) & then pull the 2nd shoulder up & clip the chest strap. It usually takes a little bit of gentle bouncing to get baby positioned just right. It's crazy awkward the first few times but once you get it it becomes real easy.

mama preference - dd definitely does this more than ds ever did. She is verrrry aware of whether or not I am in the room & is rarely content with dh for long.

not_telling - yeah for the school acceptance! And, yeah, not a chance I'd be ok with that for that age. I agree with katico - even at high school age it would make me nervous but at least at that point I could feel a little more sure they could stand up for themselves & recognize a sketchy situation. 2 weeks is a long time as well.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#194 of 237 Old 01-27-2012, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Ergo backcarry:  I put the waistbelt on and make sure that it's centered on my back, then I put ds on my hip and scootch him under my arm and around onto my back, all the while bending over enough that he's resting on my back without risk of falling off.  I do keep one hand on him at all times.  Then I slide one hand down one strap and pull it up over him, then slide my other hand down the other strap and bring it up (making sure it's not twisted as I do).  Then give a little bounce and do up the chest strap and cinch the shoulder straps snug.  Voila! 

He was on my front for the most part this morning as he napped, but then when dd and I were at our homeschool playgroup, I put him on my back.  It take a bit of gettting used to, but is so worth it! 

not_telling ... Congrats on the school acceptance!  So, if you get another acceptance, how will you choose?  And heck no for sending my ten or eleven year old to a foreign country for a homestay.  Not a chance!

yellow dart ... I remember seeing folks hauling strollers down two flights of stairs in the subway in NYC and wondering the same thing!  Wear your babies, people!  So much more convenient!

APness ... We're big fans of all things AP, and are mostly AP by nature and instinct.  I do feel passionately about it, and I do believe in striving to be the parent that I want to be, but I also have to remind myself to be gentle with myself when things take a different shape from what I was hoping.  I just reread the Continuum Concept, which renewed some of my latent Mama Guilt but also affirmed a lot of what we do and how we raise babies in our house.  I like the way we do it, even if I set the bar a little too high for myself sometimes. 

More later!  I've been summoned to play Candyland ... again. 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#195 of 237 Old 01-27-2012, 05:27 PM

You know what's funny, is that I feel 100% committed, unwaveringly, to the principles of AP- informed, nurturing, gentle, positive, respectful parenting night and day.  It's all just non-negotiable.  And I am also committed to gentle, creative, family centered childhood.  My children are such a blessing and parenting feels like a privledge....sacred.I try to take every decision seriously and respect them mind, body and spirit.  

But there's this image of the AP poster-mom and when I don't live up to her it's when I feel like I'm not AP "enough"....for not being able to breastfeed...for turning on Caillou a couple times a week....for owning a swing....for not carrying my baby all day even though she prefers to sit....for not serving home grown kale at every meal....you know what I mean

It's silly.  And we can all be way too hard on ourselves.  Because I'm more proud and confident of my parenting than anything else I have ever done

#196 of 237 Old 01-27-2012, 05:51 PM

back carry: I can't wait to wear ds in a back carry.  I think he is still too slumpy with his body for it though.  He has pretty good head control now though.

mama preference:  we haven't encountered this yet.  I actually think he prefers daddy when he's upset and not hungry because daddy takes him on tours of the house.

rolling over:  ds started rolling over on a regular basis but won't do it for dp.  He even did it at play group the other day. 

pants:  does anyone else never put pants on their kid in the house?  I find them so annoyig.  Maybe because he still needs to be changed constantly and I never feel like putting them back on. we have an old house so when its cold out and a chill to the air inside I will keep them on though or put baby legs on him. 

tv: we watch too much tv so it is inevitable.  when I notice he is distracted by it I will leave the room or turn it off.  I have a hard time sleeping without the tv so even if it isn't on during the day he is exposed to it at night

hair:  my hair is SO long and ds is always pulling it so I always have it in a pony tail.  I need it up for work too.  all throughout my teenage years and early to mid 20's I had a shaved head.  thats looking pretty good right about now.

that's all I got.  been reading but since I have been back to work I am incredably tired.  I didn't think it would be so hard to work part time with a baby.  It is so taxing on my body.  dp is wonderful and takes care of him while im at work but the second I am through the door all ds wants is boob for the next 2 hours.

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#197 of 237 Old 01-27-2012, 06:36 PM

Trying to catch up!!!

Meet-up, I would love to meet up with you emmaegbert and anyone else who wants to come to NYC when the weather is better.

Facebook, I love it!!! Way too much.

Hair, My hair looks kind of terrible everyday. I don't have time or energy to do anything to it during the week. Sometimes I will straighten it and it looks so much better. It's a few inches below my shoulders right now.

Not-telling, I wouldn't let my 5th grader go on that trip. In high school maybe, but not when they are that young.

TV, one of the things I am feeling guiltiest about. I watch (well I don't really watch it, I just like to have it on all the time, I need noise) it all the time. Most of the day :( Landon loves to lay on the floor and watch it. I try to not have it on as much as usual, but it's a hard habit to break. I hate that he watches it.

Landon prefers me over his daddy. But, I think that it's just because I am with him 24/7. Daddy doesn't see him very much during the week, like maybe an hour a day. Landon won't even let daddy give him a bottle, which is something we need to figure out, because I want to start leaving him home every once in a while.

AFM, TGIF!!! Seriously, working is kicking my butt. Doesn't help that Landon hasn't been so great at night. He wakes up anywhere from 1-3am to eat, and than again around 4-5am, and is often up for the day :(

I can't believe Landon was 12 weeks yesterday.

No period for me yet, but I'm sure it will be coming anytime now, since I'm not nursing nearly as much as I was.

AP, Landon hates to be worn right now. Wants to be on the floor all the time. I am trying my best to be the mama that I want to be, and I know that I'm doing a great job with my little guy, even if things aren't working out exactly like I thought they would.

DP is staying at his place tonight. In a way it's nice to have a night to myself (and Landon) lol I know that I will sleep better, he snores so loudly!!

Chelsea, loving mama to Landon, born 11/3

#198 of 237 Old 01-27-2012, 06:37 PM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_telling View Post

Depends on the fifth grader and teacher, but I wouldn't automatically say no. I would have a year or two ago, but as DS1 gets older, I can see the possibility for these things. My sister was a teacher at a school that did those kinds of trips, and the kids always had an amazing time. I don't think the younger kids did that long of trips, though.

TV: We avoid tv until about age 2 here. That's one of our things. (not_telling, it's brain development.)

AP: We're definitely into the general principles, too. Which is not surprising, given that I am here on MDC. I tend to look at everything through the lens of science, though, so some ideals are more important to me than others. And both DH and I have very crunchy roots, so a lot of our parenting practices are based on how we were parented. He was raised on a commune, and (as I jokingly told Amy May earlier this week) where other women have MILs who are encouraging them to feed cereal in a bottle at 2 weeks, mine was telling me to rub walnut leaves on my baby so that he would never get leukemia. Seriously, I love that woman, but no. Anyway, my point earlier was just about how striving for perfection can be counterproductive. I work very hard not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good in my life, including parenting.

Speaking of AP, I weaned my older DS tonight. We had set tonight as our last time nursing ever -- he chose the night, I pushed him to choose. I got a little weepy (my voice broke as I was singing to him), but then was fine, and now we're done. I pumped a bottle for DS2 so that I could stay with DS1 until he fell asleep. I wish he had stopped of his own accord last year when I thought he was going to, but since he didn't, I think this was a decent ending. It was time. Wow, that was a long run.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#199 of 237 Old 01-27-2012, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

sigh....ok, here's what's funny.  at my last teaching job before DS was born, my asst. teacher had a son who went to the school DS just got accepted into.  he started there in first grade and from the very beginning she was feeling anxious about the 5th grade trip to mexico.  her son was (is?) very attached to his parents...they did family bed and he was still climbing in there as an 8 year old.  he didn't like being away from his parents for one night, so she didn't know if he'd be able to handle 2 weeks away in 5th gd.  and i thought she was being kinda silly....until now.  the school we taught at had the 6th gd go to costa rica for about 2 weeks, but the kids stayed in hotels with school chaperones for the most part...maybe there was one night when they stayed with host families?  all i know about this program right now is that they have a sister school in mexico, they go there for 2 weeks in the middle of winter and then kids from the 5th gd at the school in mexico come to the u.s. for 2 weeks in the spring.  i think the kids are pen pals prior to the trip to mexico and they stay with their pen pal and his/her family and then host that same kid in the spring.  this has been going on for at least 9-10 years, i think. 

i think i'd feel better about it if kids were assigned in pairs to do homestays...but i imagine if there had been a problem in the past, the program would've changed/halted.  i told the admissions director i wanted to know more about this program.  so, we'll see...  10 yrs old does feel young...but the 11-12 yr olds from my last school always had an awesome and transformative time in costa rica...

#200 of 237 Old 01-27-2012, 08:06 PM

tank - we soooooo don't do pants in this house! But that's almost a house rule - hahaha. Dh drops his pants when he gets home, ds is often naked & I rarely bother to put pants back on dd after a diaper change. As for me - I only wear skirts (& yoga pants/capris for workouts).

tv - we try really hard to limit it (me more so than dh). I grew up with minimal tv but dh grew up in a house where the tv was ALWAYS on. It's been an ongoing argument with us. Dh agrees in theory but has a hard time noticing how long the tv has actually been on. We've actually had no tv service since May when we moved here & I must admit I miss it (our internet connection is not good enough to watch anything online either) & have been rewatching the same dvd's over & over & over in the evenings. We definitely do try for no tv before 2 years but I suspect that will be harder with dd as we do let ds watch a dvd's at some point most days.

working mamas - oh my. I can only imagine how exhausting it would be - good for you!

Gosh dd is cranky tonight. Not sure what her deal is but I'm worried it will be a late night.

#201 of 237 Old 01-28-2012, 07:21 AM

Pants- We do pants in this house most of the time. It's too cold not to.

TV- I have decided to really leave the TV off if Landon is laying on the floor, otherwise he just stares at it for a very long time. It makes him super content, but I know it's not good for him.

DDC- Do we know when they will shut us down? I was just thinking......we could set up a Facebook group if we wanted to. Just a thought. I am in some other groups on Facebook and it's nice. It might be easier than trying to do the social group.

Pi- Your weaning DS1 story is so sweet.

AFM- today is a running errands day for us. Grocery store, Trader Joe's, find jeans for Dp, and laundry. Tomorrow is a cooking day. I need to get all my meals for the week prepped and/or cooked. This way I won't be tempted to grab something unhealthy at the last minute.

#202 of 237 Old 01-28-2012, 07:46 AM

stomach virus, ugh. I'm not getting it so bad but my 2yo was sick for 3 days, poor thing. Obviously, "not so bad" is still nothing I'd actually want to have.

I'd love to wean my 2y9m dd but she so isn't ready.

AP: I didn;t even know what it was until my son was about 18mo, but the basic things are all stuff that "Came naturally" to me. I so don't want a yardstick by which to find out I don't measure up though... so I don't worry about it too much. I have found that my son has been more challenging as he gets older- a combo of his personality (very intense and reactive) and just that for me, caring for babies and toddlers, well, it just seems obvious what they need. I dread having teenagers though!

TV- we don't have tv in our house. We watch some stuff on the computer but nothing for the little ones. Last night we watched some Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly dance numbers on youtube together... that is pretty much the most we do like that, and its infrequent. It works for us. It make us very different from most families and I find people tend to either get huffy like I am judging them for having tv (I am not) or they feel terribly sorry for my poor deprived kids (pshaw).

chelsea- lets get together! That would be fun. Probably not for a few more weeks... but we can be in touch.

dissertating mom to three

#203 of 237 Old 01-28-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
 It make us very different from most families and I find people tend to either get huffy like I am judging them for having tv (I am not) or they feel terribly sorry for my poor deprived kids (pshaw).

lol.gif

Facebook group:  I'd be down with that, or even just friending each other.  I think the social group will be nice though because of anyone who isn't into the personal reveal of FB and/or just wants to drop in after a long absence

AFM:  I have always thought of myself as a very "go and do with kid in tow" kind of mama....DD1 has always been a very easy baby/kid and I took her everywhere to do everything.  Popped her in the sling and went.  I'm having a lot of trouble getting out and doing things with both kids though...I find it really intimidating.  Claire is an easy baby too, and DD1 is still easy....but when you put the two together it just feels so overwhelming sometimes.

I took them out today to do one little errand and had to take Claire out of her carseat three times to change her diaper before I actually pulled out of the driveway!  DD1 didn't WANT to go shopping and didn't WANT to sit in her carseat.  Then we get to the store and Claire didn't WANT to go into her sling, she kept straightening her legs and it was all awkward.  And then I only got half of my list done again because I could tell Claire had just peed again and it was only a matter of time before she lost her shiz.  Not to mention DD1 is still newly potty trained and stores make me nervous.  

So, all that frustration and effort for half of my list at ONE of my errands.  DH has been at work since 5am today and probably won't be home for another couple of hours and....I just do not have the patience left over by the weekend to take them with me on errands!  I think that's what it boils down to.  I'm alone with them or on duty 24/7  and it uses up every last bit I have.

I was so mad at DH last night - DD1 woke up at 4am and started losing it in that overtired, half asleep, irrational toddler way.  And she woke up the baby.  And he like...couldn't cope with it.  He was all annoyed and bordering on angry.  And I'm like...dude....you're not HERE enough to lose your patience with them.  I get that it's 4am, but suck it up - YOU don't have to do anything but roll over while I deal with it.  

So complainy, I'm sorry. I just needed to vent.

I don't know how to fix it. How can I complain about him never being here when it means I get to stay home with them?  I cannot keep going without even a couple of hours on the weekend to leave the house and do something on my own.  Even if it is only groceries and errands.  And he just doesn't seem to get it.  

#204 of 237 Old 01-28-2012, 09:53 AM

Facebook: A group or adding would be great, anyone who wants to friend me, just pm and I'll give you my link.  I'm not searchable because of work.

Errands: Right now, DD is easy to run errands with, but having another little person in tow would be totally different.  Especially you know, with that little person moving and such.  I'm a bit nervous about erranding with a mobile little child.  I'm also nervous about bringing her into work for meetings and such when she starts running about.  I went out to the store for the first time without DD yesterday, half way through the craft store I nearly have a heart attack because I couldn't find her.  Took me a minute to get my pulse to slow down and remember she was with daddy, I hadn't laid her down somewhere!  Katico, I have super respect for you balancing both kiddos without your husband around much.

AP: The way I view the whole "parent philosophy" thing is it gives me something to fall back on when I just am not sure what to do.  The rest of the time, I just go with what works for her.  What flows for us is babywearing, I hate hauling the stroller up and down my front stairs to the sidewalk.  She sleeps next to the bed because I need to burrow in blankets to fall asleep at night, but if she wakes up in the middle, I bring her in because I can fall sleep without all that stuff at four am.  I can't imagine her sleeping in her room.  I've only let her sleep alone for a few hours since she was born on New Years Eve and was constantly upstairs checking on her.  Cloth diapering, I don't see that as philosophy, that is economics and I am not a purest.  I was bummed by not being able to exclusively breastfeed, but I'm going to do mixed feeding as long as I can and give her as much as my body will make.  I give myself an A for effort there.  Sometimes she is in the swing.  Mama needs to fold laundry sometimes and it usually makes her happy.  I've never left her to her own devices to cry except when our car was stuck in frigid weather or when I had to attend to my own medical needs and I wouldn't be safe to have her right there.  However, I have a baby who is easy to soothe.  If she wasn't, I don't think I'd be a bad mom if I tried to comfort her, but needed to walk away for a minute or two to keep my cool.  AP philosophy is a huge tool in the box, but I don't cross check what I do to make sure it fits.  I do cringe when I hear of scheduling babies, harsh sleep training, and any form of violence or disrespect inflicted on children.

Homestays: I wouldn't be okay with a 10 or 11 year old staying with a family I didn't know alone.  If their were other children, I'd be more okay with it.  Later middle school or high school, sure.  I just don't trust that all people have the best interests of children at heart. 

Pi: That is so sweet with your DS1.  You guys have had a long run.  It's very admirable. 

Housecleaning: How do mamas find time for this?  It may be harder because I'm working, but I have hours at home during the day.  DD does not nap, I need to get things done and she just isn't happy not being held.  A lot of it is stuff I can't do while wearing her.  Help!!!!  Things are starting to get out of hand and I have MIL coming in a few months.  She takes pictures of piles of clutter in my house and shares them with relatives AND sends me copies.  (Seriously, the people who came three days after birth sent me an album with several pictures of piles of paper/pizza boxes/dirty clothes piles...WTF IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE!?!?!?!)  Usually I'm not embarrassed of my house's condition, but right now I am.  It just seems like the easiest thing to let slide.  I have to work, I have to make dinner, I have to take care of the baby.  Frankly, I'd rather play with the baby then clean.

#205 of 237 Old 01-28-2012, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post

not_telling ... Congrats on the school acceptance!  So, if you get another acceptance, how will you choose? 

I have no freakin' clue.  DS had his visit at the second school this morning and it's just such a great place.  And many of the things that make it great are what make the other school great, too.  We may have to toss a coin.

livacreature - what do you mean photos of your clutter and putting said photos in albums...do you mean photos of people where clutter happens to be around or actual photos of just clutter?  if the latter...WTF?  that's cuh-razy wako rude strangeness?

facebook - i'm up for a FB group, but i reckon that may not be the best venue for the long..uhh...monologues?  rants? 

housecleaning - i do random things at random times.  our house is far from spankin' clean.  the only things we're good about keeping up with are laundry, dishes and vacuumin the first floor.

#206 of 237 Old 01-28-2012, 11:34 AM

Not_telling: Nope, not people with clutter in the background.  Close ups of stacks of paper, shots of my counter with cereal boxes and not-put-away-groceries.  This is the woman who would not let me shower in her house after begging us to stay overnight because she had not put away her clothes in her room and their only working bathroom would require me to walk through it.  But no, taking pictures of my post-partum clutter and mailing them to me AND extended family is completely the nice, normal thing to do.  In fact, I got a seperate album with these pictures.  I told DH since I had to have the awkward conversation with my mom about her "secret" smoking habit and changing her clothes, he can tell his mother I will break her camera if I catch her doing this.

Edit to add: I'm a pretty mellow person.  I let a lot roll off.  I try to avoid conflict.  But this woman sends me into a rage like no one else can.  I hate that she has that power, but man, does she know the buttons to push.

#207 of 237 Old 01-28-2012, 05:52 PM

livacreature - wow, just wow. That is just so over the top inappropriately rude. I'd be beyond angry. What you need to do is print out several copies of this poem & post them all around the house to make it clear what your priorities are. Geeeez!

fb - anyone who wants to connect pm me. I do think we should keep the social group going though.

katico - I'm reallllly hoping the errands will get easier as the spring rolls in. It definitely takes a long time & a lot of energy to do things we both in tow but I try hard to think of it less as something to get done & as quickly as possible & more as an outing for all of us. I often try to combine fun things with the errands, it makes it all take that much longer but kind of feels more worthwhile for the littles. So we'll go grocery shopping & then to the library. Oh & I know exactly where all the public washrooms are in town! fwiw - few people will say no if you are frantically looking for a toilet for a lo ime - we've peed everywhere!!! It's frustrating that men just seem to not get it. I'm not sure how to enlighten them. Dh will spend a day with just ds or run some errands with him & then complain to me after like it's news how hard it can be.

pi - so sweet. Ds weaned so gradually that I can't remember the true last time - it certainly was not a special memory, more of a non-memory.

It is crazy windy here tonight!

#208 of 237 Old 01-28-2012, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

liv ... What an obnoxious MIL!  That would send me over the edge with rage.  And I'm a pretty mellow person too!

FB ... Not me.  I don't have an account.  I'd be game for a social group, or what my Feb 09 did is start a thread in the baby section and kept it going until the babies were one, then we started a thread in Toddlers, and now that the kids are three, we'll be moving on over to Childhood Years or whatever it's called. 

Getting out with two ... If we had a decent sized home, I might stay home more, but our living room / kitchen / dining room is only about 400 sq feet, so we go out everyday for the better part of the day.  I'd go crazy if we didn't! Sample day yesterday, 0930: off to homeschool playgroup, 1200: Science World, 1400: Micheal's for cake supplies, 1500: to DP's restaurant for late lunch, 1630: home!

AFM:  My daughter's third birthday party is tomorrow!  We throw a big party / fundraiser for the Basics for Babies program through the food bank here, so it's going to be big!  Lots of prep today for that, including making a Gruffalo cake!  I'll post pictures when I can.  It turned out great!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#209 of 237 Old 01-28-2012, 06:24 PM

Emmaegbert, hope you feel better soon!! I know a stomach bug is going around here. And, yes!! Let's get together when the weather warms up.

Beth, I can relate to it being intimidating with two little ones it tow. I have to take Eliza(she's 2) with me whenever I do anything during the day during the week. I do all their food shopping and have to do it with Landon and her. It makes me nervous, but so far it's gone okay. I really hope your dh comes around and understands that you need time alone to get some errands done. Complain away, don't worry about it! We don't mind one bit.

Livacreature, I cannot believe your mil did that!!! How terrible.

FB, anyone can add me if they want. Pm me if you want my info.

Landon went to bed without his last bottle of the day, he was so tired he didn't want it. Something tells me it's going to be a long night for me......

#210 of 237 Old 01-28-2012, 06:26 PM

pants I started putting her into pants lately when I learned on this thread that those footie sleepers are supposed to just be pajamas. (I don't have a lot of dresses for her because tights don't seem comfortable to me.) I wanted to see what I thought about dressing her up. It's so cold here that she either has to wear pants or two or more layers of sleepers. 

housecleaning I'm slowly getting through the backlog of housework that needs to be done. Every once in awhile I have to remind myself to just enjoy where she is, right now, and put the laundry down.

homestays It seems quite young to me to be going away to another country, but you should probably go with your gut about this.

AP I feel like I kind of fell into AP. Last year I moved to a town that's very into natural parenting, and when I went to the used book sale last year, I happened to pick up one written by some "Sears" guy. It made a lot of sense to me. Beyond that, I think DD herself kind of led me into it. My mom, my sister, my sister in law, and my mother in law all said she was the fussiest, most particular baby they'd ever met. I think I've had to adopt some of the tenets of AP (willingly or no) just to deal with her. She demanded to be held all the time and wouldn't go to sleep at night unless she was held. She hated the swaddle. She even cried if, when you were holding her, you started talking to somebody else. 

Sometimes I have my doubts about what we're doing. I hope it all turns out for the best. So I can't really judge anybody for the choices they do. At the local new mom's group, one woman shared how she was, in effect, letting her son CIO at night so that he'd learn to sleep in his crib. It sounded awful both for her and for him. But I can't judge her for not being AP enough because I'm not working full time right now and in need of sleep in the same way as she is. I think AP just offers another set of tools and alternatives, and you have to figure out what works best for your family.

tv I don't own a tv, but I do spend lots of time on the internet. That's a habit I hope to break before she becomes older and more aware of technology. The saddest sight I ever saw was sitting in a pho restaurant in Seattle watching two parents just glued to their iphones as their daughter, who looked to be about 5 or 6, stared sadly into space. I can see DP and I being like that with our laptops, and I need to change that.

errands Props to the moms who venture out with more than one kid. My biggest aggravation with errand-running is taking the bus and dealing with baby in the front, backpack in the back.

afm After that one time, DD has gone back to refusing the bottle. So DP takes her in during my lunch to nurse, but that means I only have a few minutes to gulp my lunch, or like today, not eat at all. So I was not in a good mood then when I came home today and he helpfully suggested that I apply for a full time job . I don't even know how he's thinking we'd manage that, with him studying for 2 grad degrees and working 2 pt jobs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page