Chat Thread: Jan 9 - Someone Starts a New One - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 237 Old 01-09-2012, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi y'all...thought I'd get a new one going so folks wouldn't feel like they have to "catch up" with the last thread.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#2 of 237 Old 01-09-2012, 08:09 AM

thanks for starting a new thread:)

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#3 of 237 Old 01-09-2012, 09:15 AM

Glad you started a new one. The other was pretty intimidating winky.gif

Update on my dad- Despite all odds being against him, he pulled through!! He had about half a dozen surgeries, removing flesh as the bacteria killed it (he had a flesh eating bacteria). He ended up getting most of his rear end removed and then some up the front of one side of his groin. He had to have a colostomy done as well. He has a wound vac on, and will for some time, then they will talk about plastic surgery. He got to come home on the Tuesday between Christmas and New Years. Unfortunately there were some complications and he was life flighted back to the hospital shortly after midnight on New Years Eve/Day. He stayed for a couple days, had another surgery, but is now back home recovering. It's been a whirlwind of a month but we are starting to settle back down. We go back up to Michigan this weekend (for ds1's visitation) and then after that I think travel will be done for several weeks (DH has a business trip out of the country at the beginning of February, I think). dizzy.gif

Update on Kai- he's doing great! I seriously couldn't have asked for a better baby. He sleeps all night (last night was midnight until 9am!) and is happy almost all the time! Somehow, after living in a hotel attached to a hospital and spending hours every day in a hospital for 9 days, none of us got ill! I was so worried that Kai would catch something, but I didn't have much choice. DH kept him in the hotel a lot and just called me when he was getting hungry (it was a 7 minute walk from the icu room to our hotel room).

DS1 got some sort of infection (started before we were in the hospital). It caused a huge bruise looking spot on his inner elbow. He ended up needing a couple shots of medicine and now it's looking much better (but not 100% healed yet). I had never seen or heard of anything like this so it totally terrified me not knowing what this was.

During all the chaos of everything else, my MIL totally crossed a line she shouldn't have. DH and I had decided that we were going to stay in Michigan until Christmas Eve to be with my dad. MIL FLIPPED OUT! She seriously flipped, saying that we were ruining her holiday because she couldn't see the kids on Christmas Eve. Knowing my dad was fighting for his life. I lost it on her. I sent her some nasty emails and made it clear that I'm done with her. If she wants to see the kids, she can talk to dh but I don't want to talk to her or see her. DH did ask me to go out to lunch with them yesterday, because it was his birthday, so I did. During lunch she told dh that I needed to start pumping bottles so we can leave Kai with her. It took everything I had not to tell her that there was no chance in h*ll I was leaving my kids with her. Then she asked me if we had gotten a stroller yet. I said no, we had a jogging stroller from ds1 and that we didn't need another since dh and I carry Kai all the time right now (either freehand or in the Moby or Ergo). She then went on and on about how SHE needed a stroller to push the baby around in. WTF?! Ummmm.... no. She's lucky I let her see the baby at all, she's not taking the baby out of my sight. End of story. She doesn't need a flipping stroller. If she wants to treat me like crap (and this is just the latest in a long string of ways she's treated me bad over the last 5 years) then she sure as heck isn't getting access to my kids without the supervision of myself or dh. I don't know if there's anybody I've ever met who has made me feel so much rage. And I have a pretty craptastic ex too, but at least he is just silently crappy and I can ignore him.

ANYWAY, I was reading along as much as I could in the last thread. HUGS to all those who need them right now!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#4 of 237 Old 01-09-2012, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

bia

steph, good for you. sorry she's like that.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#5 of 237 Old 01-09-2012, 12:44 PM

Steph, whenever you share a horror story about your MIL I feel like I should call my MIL and thank her for not being crazy and mean.

I need some advice/reassurance from ya'll. I am back at work now, and I'm worried that DD isn't eating enough while I'm gone. I nurse her right before I leave in the morning, DH brings her to me at work 4-5 hours later so I can nurse her on my lunch, and then I nurse her when I get home 4-5 hours later. So basically, DH usually needs to feed her twice, once in the morning and once in the afternoon, but he can't get her to drink more than 1 or 2 ounces per feeding, and she hasn't eaten more than 3 oz. total in a day (from the bottle, which she intensely dislikes). When I pump I usually get at least 4 oz per breast, so I feel like 1 or 2 ounces is way too little milk for one feeding. I'm keeping an eye on her weight of course, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to tell the difference between a normal slow-growth period and slow growth because she's not eating enough (at 3 months old she's already more than doubled her birth weight, so she's been growing at a pretty fast clip to date and I figure she's due for a slower period). I read somewhere that babies this age should be eating at least 32 oz a day, so that's partly why I'm freaked out and worried that she's starving...any reassurances from you mamas for the crazy lady who should NOT be using Google search?

P.S. My baby laughed a real belly laugh for the first time a few days agoluxlove.gif. I was unprepared for how much that would just completely bowl me over, although now I'm jealous because so far only DH has been able to make her laugh...she'll smile and coo and chatter to me, but no laughs yetangry.gif

Hope everyone has a lovely week!

Head over heels for DHjoy.gif bonus mama to super sweet DSS (10/9)superhero.gif and mama to DD (10/11)loveeyes.gif! nocirc.gif  sewmachine.gif  goorganic.jpg

#6 of 237 Old 01-09-2012, 01:24 PM

LaBruja, I babysat a baby starting at about 3 months and he was exactly as you describe your dd. Wouldn't do the bottle thing, but definitely was not underweight. It is probably ok, since you're leaving the food.

#7 of 237 Old 01-09-2012, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

LaBruja - How is she eating when you're home/overnight?  Nursing frequently and/or long nursing sessions?

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#8 of 237 Old 01-09-2012, 04:08 PM

not_telling: well, that's part of the issue...she's such a little piglet even when I'm not working that I can't really tell if she's nursing any extra to make up for it. She's still nursing the same at night (nurses to sleep, then sleeps usually 6-8 hours before waking to nurse), but she changes her daytime nursing habits so often that it's hard to tell if any particular change happens when I'm working (some days she nurses every 45 minutes for 5-10 minutes, and some days she only nurses every 2-3 hours but for 10-15 minutes...there doesn't seem to be any correlation to my work days). She doesn't seem to be unusually sleepy or lethargic and she is pooping normally, but it does seem like she has fewer wet diapers on days that I work. I don't know...maybe there's really nothing to worry about and I'm just falling victim to new-mama nervousness?

Steph, so happy for your dad! What a scary illness, so glad he'll be ok! 

Head over heels for DHjoy.gif bonus mama to super sweet DSS (10/9)superhero.gif and mama to DD (10/11)loveeyes.gif! nocirc.gif  sewmachine.gif  goorganic.jpg

#9 of 237 Old 01-09-2012, 04:50 PM

Oh yeah Steph! I forgot to say that I'm SO happy about your dad.

AFM: I start working a little bit again tomorrow. It's fine. Just one client.

#10 of 237 Old 01-09-2012, 06:30 PM

Steph so incredible about your dad. You must all be so thankful.

LaBruja- my son (my oldest) was older (8 and 9m) when I had a 9-week full time summer course but he was like you describe- hated bottles, would nurse once at lunchtime, and honestly, he was fine. You really will be able to tell if the baby seems dehydrated or lethargic. But a large, healthy, well-developing kid who is eating every 4 hours at 3m is probably okay. IME you can tell when babies aren't feeling well. She may also start to take more from bottles when she gets used to it. Also remember that those amounts to feed are based on formula feeding (and I am SURE there is variation between ff babies needs as well). But I think babies have to eat- volumewise- more formula than breastmilk to get the same nutrition. And you have no idea what the baby is getting when she nurses- pump is not necessarily getting the same amount. Oh and my baby will go several hours without wetting a diaper sometimes- and she nurses on demand around the clock.

I'm stressed b/c I just found out that we were dropped from the medicaid/state insurance that the kids have- as far as I can tell without any warning! I last used it in November and there was no problem. Baby has her second appointment tomorrow at the doc. They said come anyway (its a clinic) and the social worker on staff will help me sort it out. I hate this! We JUST got the insurance active on June 1st (ditto my insurance coverage for this pregnancy). Thank goodness we are all healthy and rarely use our health insurance, but seriously, its so stressful not to have it.

dissertating mom to three

#11 of 237 Old 01-09-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
Oh and my baby will go several hours without wetting a diaper sometimes- and she nurses on demand around the clock.

Kai nurses around the clock on demand as well (sleeps all night though, at least 7 hours but sometimes as many as 9 hours at night!). 3-4 nights a week he wakes up after sleeping 8ish hours with a perfectly dry diaper. It really freaked me out at first! I was so afraid he wasn't eating enough. Now I know that's just how he is. He'll really let it go when he wakes up though (he would be a prime candidate for EC'ing at least in the morning but I'm too lazy winky.gif). DH and I joke about how smart Kai is that he won't wet his diaper at night because, really, who wants to sleep in pee? Yup, I've got a baby genius who night trained at 1 month old lol.gif

#12 of 237 Old 01-09-2012, 06:44 PM

theboysmama: got your awesome newsletter - what a big, gorgeous, busy family!  So nice to put faces to you and Saphira!  Also, your tale of the baby throwing up in DS's mouth made me biglaugh.gifCan't wait to hear how her appt. went!

Rosemary:So, have you decided if she really has the molar and canine cutting???  CRAZY.  And FWIW, I totally am interested in how you're going to redecorate your living room - I love looking at the background of your pictures at your cozy house! (is that creepy/stalkerish?)

Bathing Baby:  Probably once a week, with DD1.  Sponge baths every day.  She loves the tub, and would love to have them more often, but it just seems like so much work some nights to bathe both of them, yknow?  I should be giving her her own little bath at night after DD1 is in bed, alternate days with them or something

Baby sympathy crying with DC: Yup, mine does this too.  DD1 will start crying about something and Claire will chime in.  Then I get annoyed with DD1 for "making the baby cry".  

lifeguard:  DH "taking care of DS" while you slept by taking him to MIL w/tv??  Lame-o!!   Men....why can't they just do what we want them to do?!?! winky.gif

Trinket: Jealous of the van!  We have a Prius, which we love but definitely isn't going to be big enough for even a third child.  I secretly can't wait for the day we add a van or suv, because I'll get to drive it - DH will totally keep the prius for himself!  I would love to be a 2 car family. 

Chelsea: cranky baby, ugh :(   Does he just fuss or is it more screaming etc? Must be really hard during your day at work greensad.gif

Healthy eating  I have been leaning WAY too hard on the coffee cup and sugar the past couple weeks.  I am feeling craptastic.  

Giggles:  Yep, I'm able to tease some out of her!  She loves to be tickled , and sometimes she'll laugh when we laugh love.gif  She actually laughed a few times really early ( 3 or 4 weeks) but now it's becoming much more often. Love it.

not_telling:  poor DS and his pukey hands slipping on the doorknob - so sad!

canned music: ugh.  And of course DD1 LOOOOOVES it, so she presses all the buttons on the swing any time she can. Seriously.  It's like psychological torture: the people who design these things must hate parents.

Steph: Amazing news about your dad.  I'm so glad to hear it!!!!!  

LaBruja  No helpful advice from me, not having any BF experience, just wanted to say that I hope she 'resigns herself' to the bottle and that everything works out without too much more worry!

AFM: Last week kicked my ass.  I feel like there was just one straw too many.  Post-holiday burnout...potty training... sick, fussy baby...hours in the ER...lack of social interaction...DH working insane hours and me being on duty 24/7...a visit from my parents...both girls eating CONSTANTLY....still feeling sick and run down...waaaaaay too much caffeine and sugar.........I melted into a messy, overwhelmed puddle last night.  I am thoroughly embarrassed by my lack of coping skills and the amount I complained, the past few days. I really, really hate not "having it all together", or at least looking like I do.  

I'm starting to wonder if I can really have as many children as I want to....I don't know if I can do it when I'm basically solo parenting most days..... That thought makes me so sad.

So...we're going to focus on good food, extra sleep, routine, adult conversation, knitting, relaxing, less cleaning....and try to get it all together again.

Claire is still feeling cruddy, I can tell...but her cough is better at least.  She's such a happy, jolly baby still though.  Love her.

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#13 of 237 Old 01-09-2012, 07:09 PM
~pi

Yay, new thread! not_telling, I love the end date in the title.

Steph, I am so glad your dad made it. Lots of thoughts for him in the coming weeks and months. Your MIL is something else.

LaBruja, when I went back with DS1 at 6 months, he reverse-cycled a little. He did nurse more and more often evenings/nights. If I were in your shoes and I were really concerned, I might track diapers for a couple of weeks and then look at the data.

Rosemary, good luck with work starting up again!

emmaegbert, that would be so incredibly stressful. I hope you can sort it out ASAP.

Katico, hugs. I hope you feel more like yourself soon.

Is anyone else getting going with a bedtime routine yet? I just started one tonight. With DS1, we didn't do a real routine until later, and I think it hurt us, so I want to try a more structured approach this time. I just did a very simple bath, then snuggle and nurse, and then transfer to crib. He really only napped, though, and woke about 30 minutes later. I have no idea if the routine is still useful if it happens before the first big sleep of the night.

AFM, after taking a long break to de-stress from the intense diabetes management in pregnancy, I put my continuous glucose monitor back on again. DH is very glad to see it back; I have more mixed feelings. Especially since the thing alarmed and woke DS2 up last night. It is already helping me tweak my basal rates, though. Everything shifts with nursing and hormones, which makes things challenging. I am paranoid about going low when alone with the baby, so I tend to run deliberately higher than I would otherwise, which doesn't give me a lot of room for mistakes.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#14 of 237 Old 01-10-2012, 08:21 AM

Hugs to the sick mamas. I've had a nasty cold for 10 days, and can't get any sleep because of it. Thankfully DD didn't get it, or I would really go insane.

Regarding bedtime routines: we have been doing one for a while. Sometimes a bath, but more often just a simple set of routines. DD seems to have a lot of energy, and usually has to blow off steam both by physical activity and screaming before she will go to bed. I just haven't found a way to prevent the evening scream. Now I put her pjs on and a disposable diaper, she lays on her changing table kicking and cooing at the hanging toys and we talk and smile at each other, and then when she starts to fuss I wrap her in the same blanket, and pace the upper floor until she stops screaming, and then she nurses in the rocking chair until she is sleeping and I put her down. She's been sleeping through the night, and lately I've started the routine a little earlier because I'd like to get her bedtime to around 8. It seemed to work fine. I think perhaps I didn't realize that she needs to go to bed earlier. There is less fussiness in the evening this way.

#15 of 237 Old 01-10-2012, 09:18 AM

Steph - When you said flesh eating bacteria I immediately thought of MRSA. Is that what it is? My family had that a few years ago--my dad ended up in the hospital for a week and having a section of flesh on his arm removed, and several of us in the house got milder cases. Later that year my great-grandmother died of it. I feel for you, infections like that are nasty. How amazing that your dad pulled through. So happy for you and your family. And WOW to Kai not getting sick!

Bedtime routines - I have to admit I don't have a whole lot of a routine. DS gets very fussy in the evenings so I feel like all I can do is try to deal with the fussy--trying to put a routine to it seems overwhelming. He likes baths, they usually calm him down, but only while he's in them. He screams even harder when I get him out. He has sort of set his own routine. He acts like he wants to nurse and won't take a pacifier, then I try to nurse him and he realizes he isn't hungry and just wants to suck. Then he'll take the pacifier and after some pitiful screaming he'll go to sleep. I just cuddle him and rock him and sing to him until he gives up. This usually happens twice or three times in an evening, then he'll go to sleep for good. He does seem to like getting his diaper changed (I think it's being naked that he likes) so we often use that as a respite from the angry crying.

AFM - Well, our van needed $825 in repairs to get it through inspection. OUCH. It seemed to be in really good shape so I wasn't expecting so much. Mom and dad had to give us even more money over the $2500 loan to cover it. On a good note, it was done earlier than expected, so I can go register it today instead of doing it tomorrow--we're supposed to be leaving for NY tomorrow and it was going to be a really really hectic day. OMG and holy crap, I just realized we're leaving TOMORROW and I haven't packed a SINGLE SHRED of clothing or ANYTHING for any of us. Stress stress stress stress stress.

Mom to Eli babyboy.gif 10/18/11 and loving wife to Derrin. heartbeat.gif 

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

#16 of 237 Old 01-10-2012, 10:37 AM

Steph: I'm so glad your dad is doing better.  It sounds like you MIL is a nutter.  Mine decided to book a flight for...get this...MOTHER'S DAY...without asking.  And is staying for a week.  Heaven forbid I want my daughter to myself on my first mother's day.  It's not like I was planning on maybe taking her to the zoo for the first time or anything.  I'm glad you were able to make your boundaries clear.  I know it must be a challenge sticking to them with her being so geographically close.

Pi: I'm starting to crack down too.  I've been pretty slack, but I know that I can't be on vacation from it forever. I need to get a replacement pump.  My current is out of warrenty and being held together with tape, but I'm procrastinating with the appointment because I dropped out of my endo in the last months of the pregnancy.  They weren't really doing anything for me, my numbers were good, but I got flack when my ob found out.  I don't want to hear it again.  DD hates when my pump vibrates when it is done with a combo bolus or something.  Screams everytime. 

Trinket: Have a safe trip!

Katico: I hope this week is kinder to you!  

AFM: DD is three months old today. I had a bad night (woke up at 5am to a screaming baby, a ripped out pump set, and a 500 blood sugar)  I got her a bottle from the kitchen.  I've heard mixed things about breastfeeding with really high blood sugar, so I don't do it.  Besides, I was really feeling dehydrated.  When I bottlefeed, she's usually cuddled, but I just held my arm over the pack and play and let her have at it.  I then fixed my set up and feel asleep.  I was really irked that DH slept through all of this. I tried shaking him to get her food, but he can sleep through anything.  I woke up around 10am with her screaming her head off.  I have no idea how long she was crying, but she was completely covered in spit up with a leaky diaper.  Not my finest hour. I feel bad, but I guess we just have to do our best, and that was all I could muster.  I really need to work on the being a good mom when I'm not feeling well.  Since we got up, she has been wanting to nurse.  Haven't had her this into it for a while.  

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#17 of 237 Old 01-10-2012, 02:50 PM

Mamas, here: grouphug.gif We need this.

I've been confusedly posting here and in the old thread.

Emma, I really hope that you can get your medicaid for your kids squared away. Why would they drop you? Nice timing, state. Fingers are crossed.

Trinket, ouch on the car repairs. We just dropped the same amount into our car. It's never $200, it is always very expensive.

Routines: well, I think that around 8-8.30 dd just melts and wants bed. So instead of doing the whole get ds and dd ready for bed while also getting myself ready (dh puts ds to bed) I'm just going to do Iona first and when she's asleep, I can do whatever night time stuff I need (shower, Downton Abbey!) I had been trying to get myself ready first so I could stay in bed with her, but seems like if I swaddle her, she stays asleep fine and I don't have to do that.

Work: I just got an email from a client saying that she was going to be opening a market cafe in the spring and would I like to prepare foods and take out for it. Hmmm. I'm going to have to think about that one pretty hard. I probably shouldn't, but I'm not good at saying no to work offered... Hmmm...

Katico, this is for you, tada!

new piano.JPG

#18 of 237 Old 01-10-2012, 03:45 PM

Rosemary: That looks fantastic!  I love your living room.  Your house really does look so tidy and comfortable.

It has been soooo slow at work tonight.  I've only seen a few folks, for a couple minutes.  I hate being here and not really working.  I could do paperwork, but I need the work-at-home hours right now before my new projects hit.  blargggg

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#19 of 237 Old 01-10-2012, 03:48 PM

Emma: argh! That is so frustrating, and what bad timing...the zero notification thing is what really gets me though. Hopefully they can straighten things out for you.

Trinket: car repair is never fun, and seems to always cost more than you'd expect. hug2.gif...we're having issues with our new-to-us car too. Hopefully the packing isn't too bad and you can enjoy your trip tomorrow!

Pi: thanks for the input...nice to hear other children do it and survivesmile.gif. She drank 4 oz yesterday, so it seems like she's slowly accepting the bottle more. Fingers crossed!   

Rosemary: can I have your house? Pretty please?

Bedtime: we're usually ready to go to sleep about the same time DD is, so we change her diaper & then while I brush my teeth etc. DH rocks her and talks her down until she's really sleepy, then lays her down and I come in and nurse her to sleep. 

#20 of 237 Old 01-10-2012, 05:15 PM

LaBruja I just went back to work last week and my DS wasn't taking the bottle.  I was gone from 8-5 and the forst day he only took one ounce and the 2nd he took less.  I took him to the Drs (had an appt anyway) and she was unconcerned and said he will get it.  She said because he has some extra weight on him that if he spends a chunk of time not eating then he will be fine as long as he eats at least some sips so he doesn't get dehydrated.  Today he took 4 oz! That is the most he has ever took from a bottle.  I think he is finally getting it.  So as long as your babe isn't underweight already and is being at least offered the bottle when she is hungry I wouldn't worry about it.

Bedtime routines:  I have been thinking about this because I want to start one and have reading become a part of it.  Right now we just do what works but it is pretty regular.  I usually nurse him to sleep then put him in his swing to sleep.  Then when I want to go to bed I take him out, change him into something light if he isn't already then bring him into bed with me and talk to him and nurse him.  If he wakes up in his swing I usually play with him for a bit to wind him back down for bed.  I never thought about this before actually having a kid but how do you work in a story if you nurse your kid to sleep?  When I bring him into the bed he knows he is going to get the boob whether he is hungry or not and asks for it and gets upset if it doesn't get there quickly.  Should I read to him in the chair first?  Read to him while nursing him? 

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#21 of 237 Old 01-10-2012, 08:11 PM

bedtime routines: we are pretty consistant about the bed time for the older kids but usually consists of "oh crap it's 8 hurry hurry brush your teeth jammies, go go go . Then they get stories and who reads the story depends on how dd2 is doing (my ds1 loves to read) and the 2 oldest put themselves to bed and I will put the next 2 down if the baby is ok if she is to crabby either my 7 yr old or 9 yr old does it. Sometimes they bath before bed and sometimes not.

The babies routine is she gets pj's, a story, and a nurse at the same time as the others. She will fall asleep several times but unfortunately won't stay asleep unless I am in bed with her. Sleeps on her own in the swing during the day just fine but will have none of that at night.

emma- have your renewed your medicaid since the baby was born? My understanding is pg is good for 6wks after the birth (so in nov you would have still been covered under that) but after 6wks the baby needs their own and the mom will prob only qualify for family planning medicaid. Were your other kids dropped? Medicaid will back pay (I think it is for 90 days) so if you know you still qualify than when you get it all worked out it will get covered.

Katico- Glad you liked the newsletter (now you know what we look like). Sorry you are having a hard time. About having more kids, it is about changing your expectations. With my first 2 my house was pretty put together, there was always a home made dinner on the table and my kids were always cutely dressed and clean. Not so much anymore. Tonight we had leftovers from last night, we eat at sweet tomatoes about 1x a week because it is cheap, my kids dress themselves and sometimes they match but not usually. I wash there faces before we leave but I usually miss someone (same goes for hair). They may or may not make it out of the house with coats and we have only made it out of the house without shoes 1x and it was only 1 kid and it was summer. Silly me I told him to go get in the car and didn't mention he should put on shoes first. lol  Some people handle larger families more gracefully but this is how it looks for us and I have to let it be ok OR I will definately go insanse.

Work- for those of you that have started back to work i wish you the best of luck about babies taking bottles, etc.

trinket- sorry your van cost more than expected but congrats on a "new" car!

Rosemary- love the pic! Your house looks so comfy. Where is all your crap?!?

AFM- We have dd first dr appt. tomorrow. I am kind of excited to see how much she weighs. We are going to request he schedule a hearing an vision too so that will give us some answers. I got my dr to agree to see me and the 3 little ones this week and dh and the 2 olders next week. We will see how that goes, hopefully not too hectic.

I was going to clean my house today and spent 3 1/2 hrs picking up and never got to the cleaning phase. Can't do it tomorrow bcs of the dr appt. By thurs I will have to pic up again. ugggg I really really need to mop my floors.

Ds2 is really into cooking and we just cooked up a storm this weekend. (home made baklava, etc) Last night he made corn bread muffins ALL by himself. He can't read so I verbally stepped him through the recipe and made sure he had the correct measuring tools but he did everything else himself! He even pre-heated the oven put them in took them out, etc. He wants to be a professional chef (has wanted this for 3 yrs now) and I am so excited to see him starting to gain some independance. This will help me a lot in the future:).

Is anyone else starving? the last couple of days I am so hungry, even wake up in the middle of the night to eat. dd doesn't seem to be eating more than normal.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#22 of 237 Old 01-11-2012, 05:50 AM

theboysmama- maybe that is what happened. Though the social workers at our clinic said there must have been a clerical error b/c infants are covered for a year if they are born while the mom has medicaid. I got a letter saying that she was automatically enrolled, and she got her own cards (and number) in the mail, and I really didn't see anything saying I had to go to separately enroll her. sigh. maybe b/c I was dropped, her case now has to be a separate one?!? There is actually sliding scale state insurance for parents of children under 18 in NY State, so I will be trying to get myself enrolled in that. After years of trying to get these various insurance coverages for various family members, and all of us having periods of time (some very long) where we are uninsured, I have just gotten resigned to constantly worrying about it, I guess. thank goodness everyone is healthy and nobody has ever gotten injured when we have no insurance. Anyway now I have to drag the littles with me to the medicaid office for a chunk of hours. Fun times! Or maybe I can go tomorrow AM when my 2yo is at her playgroup and just have my parents on standby to pick her up b/c it would be close to a miracle if it took me under 3 hours to fix this.

more kids- I am done at 3. But even with 3 I can say, its easier and harder. Yes- my expectations are different. And also, there is a kind of efficiency that happens. The olders play with eachother. My oldest is 7 and he also provides a model (positive and negative)-- he is so independent, so my 2yo wants to be like him. They dress themselves (lol on matching cute outfits- not so for my kids. My theory is that if its appropriate for the weather, I will let them wear what they want. THAT SAID, each kid has only one drawer for all their clothes, so its not like they have that many choices). But I am very glad for school- my kids absolutely love it. My 7yo is in first grade and my 2yo goes 2 mornings a week to a small, home-based coop preschool. And I am a much better mom with this setup.

bedtime: this baby doesn't really have routine yet. We have a pretty solid routine for the olders and she is along for that ride. She is generally alert and happy for a couple of hours after they go to sleep, then she gets into bed with me and nurses and goes to sleep. She sleeps really well though (10:30/11 until 7:30ish, only waking once to nurse and going right back to sleep) so I am leaving well enough alone. I assume eventually the two girls will have a joint routine since they are only 2.5 years apart.

doctor update: we went to the doctor anyway, and she is over 12lbs. She is doing great. We didn't do any shots or anything. She is in the 85th percentile for height and 50th for weight, so I am right I guess in my sense that she is long and thin (lol on "thin" b/c she is pretty chubby. but compared to my other two!) Doctor uses the WHO chart and was explaining the difference to the medical student who was with him. Love having a low-key doctor who assumes we are cosleeping, knows about breastfeeding, and can tell that if a baby or kid is healthy, to let well enough alone. He said the research on D supps is all new, but there doesn't seem to be a downside and possibly benefits, so he recommends doing it.

dissertating mom to three

#23 of 237 Old 01-11-2012, 06:21 AM

Steph - So glad your dad is OK!

Pi & Liv - I hope you can easily get back into a routine with your blood sugar

Trinket - That stinks about the van repairs.  Have a great trip!

Emma - I hope they straighten out your health care.

Rosemary - The piano looks great!

Bedtime routine - DD1's is pretty basic (pick out clothes for the next day, read 2 books) and is like theboysmama 'oh crap it's 8pm gogogo!"  Don't have much established for the younger yet. 

Work - I go back next week.  Only in the office 2 1/2 days a week and working from home the rest of the week.  6 weeks. I am so ready to be done and get on with the rest of my life.  I don't know what I will do to make money, but I'm ready to start figuring that out.  I'm just in this weird limbo right now.  I'm feeling a lot better about getting through financially in the meantime. Between my severance & vacation payout, $$ coming back from my flexible spending account from last year, our tax return, and a generous gift from my Dad at xmas, I think we'll be OK for a while.  Phew.

Weight gain: I don't know what to do.  The baby is just not gaining weight.  I went to a class yesterday and they were talking about how babies should gain about 2lbs a month.  This baby is about to hit 3 months old and she hasn't even gained 2 lbs over her birth weight!  I'm trying not to freak out. The pediatrician just wants to keep watching it, but WTH!?  I breastfeed and feed her as much formula as she will take. I can't force feed her. I offer bottles when she's not hungry, and she just won't eat them, so... I read online somewhere about concentrating formula. I may ask my Dr about that. She started taking bigger bottles last week and a little more formula so I was hoping she'd gain more this week, but she only gained 2.5 oz.  I guess that means my meager breastmilk supply is just dwindling even more... Who knows.  If I hadn't been weighing her I would not suspect that she wasn't gaining. She LOOKS huge.  I don't know. She SEEMS to be healthy, but she's really falling off the weight curve. It makes me worry that something is going on with her metabolism or allergies or something.

In other news, DH went to have a consult about getting a vasectomy yesterday.  We're done having kids, but it all seems so FINAL.  I told him I need to sit on it for a little while.

#24 of 237 Old 01-11-2012, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

steph - wow, so much going on. I'm glad everyone is doing ok now.

katico - please be gentle with yourself. I think we expect too much of ourselves sometimes - I am very guilty of that. I too question my desire to have more children some days but I have faith that things will go as they should & I will be able to do it.

dollyanna - I hope your dd starts to gain a little more quickly or that your doctor is at least able to be reassuring. It's amazing the difference in their growth rates!

afm - dd & I started experimenting with ec a little this evening. I've caught 2 pees so far & dh is totally impressed with me - lol. Need to do more reading for more tips & info but if we can do it while at home I think it could be a really good thing for us.

A little bit of tmi but we conceived dd one year ago today!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#25 of 237 Old 01-12-2012, 08:22 AM

So our drive to NY went great. The van was great, we hit some nasty weather that had me scared (seeing an SUV flipped over in a ditch didn't help) but we got through it. We got to MIL and FIL's house... and guess whose bag didn't make it into the car? Yep, mine. So I get to go shopping today. DH thinks it's a blessing in disguise for me--I rarely spend money on myself and this is kind of forcing me to do that. I'm surprisingly not that upset about it, although it's an inconvenience. I think I'm just grateful the rest of the trip went so well that a forgotten bag (especially mine and not the baby's) doesn't seem like a big deal.

More kids/vasectomy - I'm definitely not done having kids. I don't know how many I want yet but 1 is not enough. I think DH would go get a vasectomy right now if he could, though. He's still a little overwhelmed by the new baby thing. I'm back on BC (the minipill, hope it's effective for me). I'm sure DH will come around to having more kids--and I wouldn't mind waiting a couple of years in between. Dollyanna I totally understand wanting to sit on the vasectomy decision--it's such a big deal. Does DH understand your feelings or does he just want to go ahead with it?

Medical assistance - I had state medical assistance during my pregnancy. I didn't need it for myself (I have fantastic insurance through my parents) but I needed to have it so DS would go right on it. Our state (MD) covers the baby for a year after birth, and the mom for 2 months. I meant to renew my application (and apply for DH now that he's technically part of a "family unit" with me and the baby)... it's been sitting in my paperwork basket for months. It's all filled out but I need to send in copies of our birth certificates and IDs and that's just such a pain. So DS is covered but I'm currently not--and DH really needs it.

Mom to Eli babyboy.gif 10/18/11 and loving wife to Derrin. heartbeat.gif 

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

#26 of 237 Old 01-12-2012, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Hi everyone ... I missed seeing this new thread! 

Work:  I can't even begin to imagine being back at work.  Kudos and cheers to those mamas who are juggling work demands and baby needs.  You mamas are superheros!

Bedtime routine: Half the time my DP is working, so I've got a bedtime routine that doesn't include her.  If she's home, then great, but even then we sometimes do the same thing as when she's at work.  Bath, two books, I nurse the baby in bed beside the three year old while we listen to an audiobook in the dark.  Works for us!  Baby usually sleeps for another couple of hours, then I feed him once last time and go to bed with him for the night.  We're all in a king sized bed, and so far, the baby sleeps soundly enough and wakes quietly enough not to bother either dp or dd. 

Katico: Hugs mama.  Remind me, you're the one who feels huge pressure to have it all together and everything looking wonderful, right?  Me too.  Having the added obsession of having everything look just so and be just so is huge when many folks are content with letting things slide when their babies are tiny.  I'd love to tell you to ease up and give yourself a break, but if you're like me, then that would actually make things worse.  I *need* to have a tidy, clutter-free house in order to feel okay being in the world.  Weird, yes, but it's a fact.  When we were preparing for this baby, my partner said, "what are you going to let go in order to get the extra time you need to manage?"  Funny question, but it did get me thinking.  So now I don't fold underwear.  And I don't stress if all the cloth diapers are dirty and I need to use a sposie or two.  And I clean the bathroom less often.  Over the holidays, we didn't do our annual gingerbread gifting, and I let my partner wrap presents (*gasp!!!*) and we declined hosting Christmas dinner for the first time ever.  But I knew that if it wasn't 'perfect' then it wasn't worth the stress.  Bah, rambling now.  Be gentle with yourself

Steph:  So glad to hear that your father pulled through!  And good for you for telling MIL what you think!

AFU:  Baby H is 14 lbs!!! I'm not used to a bigger baby ... dd was only 17 pounds at a year.  Oops, gotta go ... H is awake. Back later!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#27 of 237 Old 01-12-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinket90 View Post

Steph - When you said flesh eating bacteria I immediately thought of MRSA. Is that what it is? My family had that a few years ago--my dad ended up in the hospital for a week and having a section of flesh on his arm removed, and several of us in the house got milder cases. Later that year my great-grandmother died of it. I feel for you, infections like that are nasty. How amazing that your dad pulled through. So happy for you and your family. And WOW to Kai not getting sick!

Not quite the same as MRSA. The technical term for what my dad had is necrotizing fasciitis. I would strongly suggest you not google it, especially looking at images. It is really disturbing. Some people who have MRSA develop necrotizing fasciitis, but not all. Another big cause of necrotizing fasciitis is Group A Strep. The big difference is that someone can have MRSA and show no signs of it for weeks, months or even years. Someone with necrotizing fasciitis show signs quickly and go downhill insanely fast (often dying within hours of the first symptom). MRSA is resistant to many antibiotics. Necrotizing fasciitis is not antibiotic resistant, but takes mega doses of multiple antibiotics, in conjunction with surgeries to try and remove all the bacteria, to beat it. How necrotizing fasciitis progresses is that it burrows into the flesh and sends of toxins as it moves through the flesh (skin, muscle, tissues, etc). Anything that the toxins touch die and needs to be removed. When doing surgery the doctors can see tunnels that show where the bacteria is traveling. The goal of the doctor is to cut ahead of where the tunnels are, so that they can get all the bacteria out of the body (if even a little is left in then it will continue to burrow through the body and kill the tissues). So, in dad's case, they did a surgery every day for 5 days where they found more tunnels and cut ahead, trying to get it all out.

#28 of 237 Old 01-12-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh...had a horrid morning with DS (he was a sobbing mess when i left him at preschool)...things have been better since i picked him after lunch, though.  i'm soooo tired.

bedtime routines: i think we started this for DS when he was about 3-4 months.  it's evolved some, but the basics were stories, songs, milkies.  now it's vitamins, brush teeth, go potty, put on diaper & pj's, have 3 stories (or one part of a longer/chapter book), light off, 3 songs, cuddles/tickles, hugs and kisses (when i put him to bed the last part is usually called "squeezies, a hug and a flower kiss").  DD is often there for all or part of DS's routine, but she doesn't go to bed until later, when DH and I do, so it probably would be good to get her started on her routine (probably 1-2 books, 1 song, then milkies).

emmaegbert - yikes!  hope everything gets sorted out soon - keep us posted.

starling - yay for big babies!  DD weighed in at a little over 13 lbs today.

steph - glad that there was a happy ending to the flesh eating bacteria story - so scary!

afm - DS had his first "next school" visit yesterday and it seemed to go well.  he was with the prek (3's and 4's with 3 teachers) from 8:30-11:45.  he was kinda shy, i think, which is good in terms of reigning in any inappropriate behaviors.  hoping he gets accepted...although we still need to do his visit to one other school.  i feel like i'm leaning maybe slightly more to the one he visited yesterday because it's a Friends school and that's my teaching background.

DD got her first DTaP today...so far (knock on wood) no immmediate "side effects."

#29 of 237 Old 01-12-2012, 04:13 PM

Wow! I actually had a chance to read through this whole thread. Sorry I didn't keep up with the last one and have probably left a lot out.

Routines: Well with DD1 we do jammies, teeth, stories on the couch. Then she says goodnight to everyone individually (even the dogs!) and she and I go into bed. She nurses for 1 minute and then I lie in bed with her until she falls asleep. DD2 stays with DH while I am in the bedroom. I usually nurse Maeve while DH reads so that she is settled for him. Not sure how we will do things as M gets bigger. It will be a whole new ballgame this summer- DH will be out of town for most of it and I will be on my own. I'll muddle through...

More Babies: hmm. I always pictured us having 3 kids but this has been really hard. We were fighting with each other a fair bit during the early weeks. Not to pleasant. We are doing better now but I think if we add a third it will be when M is 3 or 4. We'll see. It might not even be possible since I deal with infertility. I don't take getting pregnant for granted. DH would say we are done now but I'm just not ready to make that decision yet. I do think someplace in my heart I will ALWAYS want another baby. I've gotten to let my head in there somewhere too!

M is doing great. She is much mellower these days which is so nice. She is rolling over from her belly to her back and likes to scoot herself in a circle when she's on her back. I feel like she is moving so much more then DD1 at this age but it could just be fuzzy memory. I'm not sure of her weight but she is pretty rolly- polly! We have an appointment next month...

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#30 of 237 Old 01-13-2012, 05:40 AM

bedtime routines I started one several weeks ago, somewhat accidentally. I was trying to get DD to fall asleep earlier, and I noticed that right after a bath one evening she just zonked out. So now she has a warm bath every night after 8:30 or so, whenever she starts fussing. Then a swaddle if she's still fussy. Then milk and down on the bouncy chair in the living room. She usually wakes up for one or two more feedings, and if I'm ready for bed I just take her into bed afterward.

baths She loves them. I tried the big bathtub last night with her and she just lay back with her arms flung open. She also liked kicking her feet while reclining, which is funny because I have an ultrasound picture where she's doing just that.

steph Great news about your father.

afm: Day one of returning to work was just fine. I met the mama on leave that I'm covering for. Kinda funny, it's like a rotating cast of pregnant women. DD came in during my lunch to nurse, but she was more interested in looking around and smiling at mama.

We're sick with the cold. First me, then she got it. It's not too bad. Just a stuffy nose plus sneezing and some coughing. No fever. I've just been doing saline washes for her to keep up with the phlegm.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page