Cross post: Part time day care? What works? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2012, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

I posted this in Life with a Babe, but you all got me through pregnancy, and I trust and appreciate your thoughts on this if you would care to share them.

I have a 3 month old, and have to go back to work at the beginning of February to retain my job, but I can work part time.  The more hours I work, the longer I can stay part time.  (Eg. If I work one day a week, I can stay part-time for a little over two months.  If I work three days a week, I can stay part-time for almost five months.)   How would you structure it?  My daycare provider is flexible, as is my boss.

I especially want to know: 

1.  Would you maximize time at home with a younger baby or would you maximize the length of time spent at a part-time schedule?

2.  If I were to work 3 days a week, would you do 3 in a row?  Or M/W/F?  Or some other pattern?

Other relevant facts: I EBF, but pumping is going well.  I'm comfortable with my care provider, but it is day care not a nanny, so it isn't always 1 on 1 time.  I will be working mostly very near my care provider, so on a day she is "in care" she'll be there about 7 hours.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 10:28 PM
~pi

1. I would maximize length of time spent part-time.

2. With an EBF baby, I would either go MWF or do shorter days, 4 or 5 days a week. If EBF is less of a concern (i.e., you are great at pumping or you don't mind using some formula) I would clump the three days together.

Welcome back, by the way!

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Old 01-16-2012, 09:25 AM

I agree with ~pi, maximize the part time- stretch it out as long as you can. B/c a 6-month old is also still pretty darn little.

3-in-a-row might be most productive for you at work- you'll get the most done. and the baby can have some consistent routine for those 3 days...

or maybe work 3 days for now, then when she's a bit older go to 3.5, or 4 or something- to extend your part-time a bit more.

dissertating mom to three

Old 01-16-2012, 10:22 AM

I personally would work 4 5hr days if that was possible then the baby has a consistant routine and you don't have to go that long without nursing and away from them.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Old 01-25-2012, 07:54 PM

I've been working in the office 2 1/2 days a week, MTW, and it seems to be working pretty well.  I chose that pattern to just get it over with in one clump for the week.

User Tag List