nursing mamas! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-15-2011, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Still nursing 23 month old DD. We need to do night weaning ASAP but she is so vocal against having DH do anything related to bedtime, so we're hoping to combine getting her own bed with the night weaning. I don't know how possible going tandem will be for us, as I currently only nurse DD from the left breast. She started ignoring the right one at about 9 months. 

I'm hoping night weaning goes well for us, because night-nursing is just unbearable right now. 

Crafty, play-at-home mama to spirited 4 yo DD and zany 1 yo DS, living in an ecovillage in beautiful British Columbia. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2011, 10:21 AM

I read your post before noticing your name, and thought "Me too!!"  We were in the Dec 09 DDC together!  :) 

Bethany's 16 months and going strong.  Supply has recently dwindled, either due to pregnancy or a recent stressful weekend, and she's trying to nurse like there's no tomorrow.  It's driving me crazy at night, so now I'm definitely thinking about setting some night nursing limits and thinking of putting her in bed with her brother.  He might kick her to death in his sleep though...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvanaRose View Post

My DS is almost 15 months and I am still nursing. I don't know how long I can keep it up honestly. The night nursing part is driving me nuts lol. I really want to night wean him and 'try' to start the transition to his own bed...but it's not looking promising at this point. I will still nurse him as long as I can and I am open to the idea of tandem nursing when the baby comes.

The main thing I am concerned about is getting him into his own bed at night, and right now because he nurses like 5728365975920 times a night, it's really hard.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:46 PM

It felt like the second I got the BFP, DS (2.5) wanted to nurse constantly and became a lot more clingy.  I actually think my supply started to go up then.  Now, at only 5 weeks, he's starting to nurse less.  So far not too much pain!  I'd like to go all the way through pregnancy if I can so he's not forced to wean. 

Me (30) and DH (30), DS (7/1/08), DD (12/1/11) and finally expecting a new little one end of Jan/early Feb 2015!  
Old 03-19-2011, 09:22 PM

I am still nursing my 18 month old and I just found out I am pregnant a few days ago.  I would love to nurse him as long as possible but I am a bit worried because of my history of irritable uterus and preterm labor w/ my first baby (I was on bedrest from 23 wks along w/ meds.)  I have noticed some soreness at latch but have not noticed a drop in supply..yet.  My son has an immune disorder yet he has been so well so I attribute that to him still nursing and that is why I would like to keep nursing, if possible. 

Old 03-21-2011, 11:07 AM

Ugh. Looks like I spoke too soon- soreness kicked in, big time. Kind of like when I first started nursing, after the worst part of it but when it was still quite painful. To top it off, DD is a constant nurser ... if I could just get her to cut down/cut out night nusing, it'd be so much better  :/  But I'm sure we'll nurse through, because she's so darn attatched to it, it would be traumatic to wean (and not what I want for her) and I don't want her having that trauma and then- look! The new baby gets boobies!

forever following the lead of a colorful active little monkey
Old 03-21-2011, 01:58 PM

why do dr's say no nursing?

i'm nursing my 2.5 dd morning, after school, and night. she loves it. and cannot get to sleep by herself. around 5am if i don't nurse, she will cry and toss until we are all up.

so far, 2 different dr's and the nurses have all told me i have to wean asap?  why?

I'm Kelly, Mom to Merryn 7/28/08 and twins Luke & Thad born 9/26/2011
Can It Get Any Better Than This? Well, I guess it just did!joy.gif

Old 03-21-2011, 02:00 PM

I'm hoping to tandem here.  This will be #3.  DS 1 weaned himself when I was about 16 weeks along with #2, but he was never super attached to nursing.  #2 is way into it (mostly just in the mornings though, he crawls into bed with us and nurses for about 30 minutes).  He'll be three in May and has yet to complain about anything.  I have luckily not had any pain with it.  During my chemical pregnancy last month it was pretty painful and I wasn't sure I could make it through.

So, we'll see how it all plays out!

Old 03-21-2011, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merryns.mom View Post

why do dr's say no nursing?

i'm nursing my 2.5 dd morning, after school, and night. she loves it. and cannot get to sleep by herself. around 5am if i don't nurse, she will cry and toss until we are all up.

so far, 2 different dr's and the nurses have all told me i have to wean asap?  why?

Because they're completely uneducated and probably don't even see the value in nursing past 12 months in the first place :( Ignorance. 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
Old 03-21-2011, 07:56 PM

Ds2 is 20 mos and still nursing. I hope he keeps nursing until 2, but I secretly (or not so secretly lol) hope he'll sort of self wean shortly after that. I'll probably help things along in a very gentle way, by using distraction and "don't offer, don't refuse." I'm open to tandem nursing though. I guess I'll just see how I feel, and how ds2 feels, and go from there.

Ds1 nursed until 3.75yo. I can't imagine I'll go that far again, because it sucked. Of course, it may be different this time- when ds1 was 3yo, I cut him DOWN to nursing 10 times a day. And it involved crying to get down to 10 times a day. Ds2 doesn't seem to "need" to nurse as badly as ds1 did, so I think he'll be nursing a lot less when he's 2-3yo.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Old 03-21-2011, 09:02 PM

I just got my BFP and I'm still nursing my 16 month old.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

Old 03-22-2011, 08:08 AM

Hello

Somehow I got my BFP nursing my 33 month old who likes to nurse around the clock 30+ min each session during the day! So happy to be here. Hope to tandem.

42 year old runnerjog.gif, hiker. Mom to DS(6/28/08) smile.gifand married to my best friend. Cloth diaper and plan to homeschool. Love my life in the mountains. Identical twin boys born 11/3/11 selectivevax.gifgoorganic.jpgbfolderchild.gifnocirc.giffambedsingle2.gif

Old 03-23-2011, 12:47 PM

I'm tandem nursing DD1 (almost 2 1/2) and DD2 (12 months), and just found out I am pregnant again.  I wouldn't mind if DD1 stopped before the new baby arrives, but I doubt that she will.  Nursing is very, very important to her. Between the newly pregnant sensitivity and her having a cold (her latch must change a bit), it's been a bit uncomfortable, but the cold is on it's way out, so we should be okay again in a few days. I have been completely fine with DD2, but she has always had a more gentle latch/suck.  Hopefully, I'll get to stick around with this group; 2 miscarriages and an ectopic (all before my girls) have made me wary of the first few weeks, but I wanted to chime in to encourage those who are nursing and are or are considering tandem nursing.  I'm really glad I stuck with it, and I agree that cutting out the most painful/difficult sessions and using some sort of distraction for the rest is crucial to maintaining the relationship as a whole.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:58 PM

Unexpectedly pregnant here, and still nursing a young booby-centric 8 month old.  I have always nursed to 2 or more years, so not planning to give it up.  Doubling up on vitamins and only eating nutrient dense foods. Giving 8 month old brown rice and beans or peas at each meal so he is sure to get enough protein.

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:31 PM

Still bf'ing my 3yo, and hoping to tandem (assuming he doesn't  wean during pregnancy). Getting ready to order Adventures in Tandem Nursing now!

Mama to DS (12/11/07) and partner to DH (08/08). Expecting #2 late November 2011!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:00 PM

Still BFing my 13 mo, and hoping to make it to 24 months, which would now put me in the tandem arena, which I'm sort of excited about. 

Megan - Mother to Jack, born feb 9, 2010.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:21 PM

Also BFing here too. My DD is 17 months, and thank DOG she has finally night-weaned, interestingly she started STTN about 2 weeks ago, so I imagine icky milk miht be to blame. She is barely nursing enough o trigger let down during the day, but I am hoping to keep her interested and tandem nurse.

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

Old 03-30-2011, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Night weaning!  Lucky you!  My 19mo's nursing has not been effected by pregnancy at all.  She's still nursing ever 2-3 hours around the clock..  Luckily I have to get up to pee every 3 hours anyway, so it doesn't really effect my sleep pattern.  :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVyky View Post

Also BFing here too. My DD is 17 months, and thank DOG she has finally night-weaned, interestingly she started STTN about 2 weeks ago, so I imagine icky milk miht be to blame. She is barely nursing enough o trigger let down during the day, but I am hoping to keep her interested and tandem nurse.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

I think my low supply is causing ds to want to stay latched on aaaalll night long! Usually he'd wake, drink his fill in a couple minutes, then let go fully satisfied. Lately he's just not getting satisfied, so he's not letting go. After a while I just can't sleep through it and just need him off. Last night I kept trying to sneak him off but he started fussing so I just said "just a little bit more, then all done", waited 10-20 seconds and told him all done. Ooohhh he was PISSED! He didn't cry that long, maybe 5 minutes? Very nearly gave in and let him have more but stopped because I don't want to set that precedent. Done, means DONE! And crying a lot doesn't mean I'll change my mind. I want to start real night weaning in the next couple months so setting limits in the night is good practice to get him used to the idea. Finally after I pulled him onto my chest he fell right asleep. Very sweet snuggles there. Course, after that and getting up to pee, I had trouble falling back asleep and he woke again before I even got back to sleep. I did let him nurse again because he had fallen all the way asleep. After a minute or two I told him just a little more, then waited 10-20 seconds and said all done and he didn't even complain! So I think thats a good sign. 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
Old 03-30-2011, 11:49 PM

I have been nursing since June 2005, when my oldest was born. I nursed through my middle child's pregnancy, and tandemed for six months. Then I nursed through my last pregnancy, but dd2 had slowed herself down to nursing every few days by the end. I think I nursed her for a bit after dd3 was born, but not long. Dd3 will only be 20 months when this baby is born, so we will definitely be tandem nursing again, hopefully for about a year.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
Old 04-02-2011, 02:33 PM

DS is only 13 months, so I'll most likely be tandem nursing. I'm a little nervous about nursing all the way through the pregnancy, because my last pregnancy, nursing got incredibly irritating and I was more than glad when my DD weaned at 26 wks (she was 2.5 yo). Not too happy about the idea of a not-yet-two year old weaning, though, so hoping to power through it this time!

Mom to blahblah.gifDD (5/07), diaper.gifDS1 (02/10)h20homebirth.gif and babyboy.gif DS2 (11/11)h20homebirth.gif !

User Tag List