nursing mamas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 02-23-2011, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!  One of the ways i "knew" i was preggers is that my supply has decreased (and boy, you should see the monkey eat solids these days-- whoa!)

are you nursing?  planning on nursing through pregnancy or thinking of weaning? 

i'm going to try to nurse as long as i can, dd is pretty young.  i would like to tandem if we get there, dd will be just at 2 when this one comes (hopefully).  <3

xakana likes this.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#2 of 50 Old 02-23-2011, 07:20 AM

Hi Hildare :)

On of the first signs I had when pregnant with ds2 was the sudden pain of breastfeeding. Within 6 weeks it was so bad I had to stop.. but it was ok as he was 2 by then and I felt happy with the length of time ds1 had had bf.

If it's your supply that's the problem and you'd like to continue bf then I'd say keep at it. I'd guess it might be down to you suddenly needing more calories and maybe more liquids too. Keep at it though :) Good luck to you!!! :)

Mama to 2 gorgeous little boys 5 yrs and 2.5 yrs fencing.gif expecting another babyf.gif in November 2011!!

It's a stork-girl.gif !!! hearts.gif
Living with my amazing partner love.gif and 4 cat.gif

#3 of 50 Old 02-23-2011, 08:58 AM

Hi there,

I'm still nursing dd2, and I've just started to notice soreness when she latches. I really don't love the idea of nursing through pregnancy. Also, she turns 3 next week. If she were 1 or 2, I do think I would keep going, but now I'm not so sure.

2 problems, though - one, I am horrible at weaning, lol! I can't let my kids cry, and plus am very lazy and like nursing to sleep soo much. She still takes a daily nap but only when nursing, so who wants to lose that in my first trimester?!

Also, she been really sick. It's been very sad actually. First the flu, then a slow recovery and she's not getting much better. :( She got an ear infection and is on an antibiotic for that, but also has other symptoms. We see the ped today again. So how can I stop nursing when she is sick? or the next few weeks, I guess I'll just wait & see what she does if my supply decreases.

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
#4 of 50 Old 02-23-2011, 12:22 PM

My DS is almost 15 months and I am still nursing. I don't know how long I can keep it up honestly. The night nursing part is driving me nuts lol. I really want to night wean him and 'try' to start the transition to his own bed...but it's not looking promising at this point. I will still nurse him as long as I can and I am open to the idea of tandem nursing when the baby comes.

The main thing I am concerned about is getting him into his own bed at night, and right now because he nurses like 5728365975920 times a night, it's really hard.

knit.gifsewmachine.gifintactivist.giftreehugger.gif mama to one DS and one DD, equally amazing.

#5 of 50 Old 02-23-2011, 06:13 PM

I'm still nursing DD who will be 3 a couple of weeks after this baby is born.  I'm slightly sore when nursing but not too bad.  I'd like for us to continue nursing as long as we can, I really don't want to wean before she is ready.  I would definitely like to tandem if DD is still nursing when the new one comes along.  I think for us the key is just to take things one day at a time and see how it goes. 

I just ordered "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" and I am very interested to read it and learn more.

Mama to a little bouncy girl (11/08) and someone new coming 11/11!
#6 of 50 Old 02-24-2011, 09:46 AM

My boy is 11 months and is still nursing often. I want to be able to nurse him as long as he wants so I am eating/drinking a lot of fresh coconut and drinking mothers milk tea. I have just started to think about what we are going to do with the sleeping arrangements once the new one arrives, but he might change a bunch before then.

radical homemaking/living, homesteading, organic gardening, open minded mama to two amazing little ones 3/2010 and 9/2011 and expecting #3!!!! 5/2013.

#7 of 50 Old 02-24-2011, 03:43 PM

Hey, not only am I pregnant and nursing, I'm pregnant and tandem nursing. So a few things:

Your supply doesn't get affected by nursing until around 12-24 weeks for most women--this early in pregnancy, it's probably just that you need to up your water or something you ate or just a regular fluctuation. Once supply dips (IF it dips, it doesn't always!), there's basically nothing you can do, except drink your water and nurse. Progesterone rules in the family of hormones.

This is more helpful for later, but  identifying which nursing sessions are most painful and cutting back on them then (or in whatever situation it is) is a great way to save the nursing relationship.

Distraction--for you--can be another way to save the nursing relationship. If the LO is old enough, you can also consider night weaning, but while I did that with my first, it was tearless--two nights and she stopped asking (I just told her the 'nummas' went to sleep and made saying good-night to them part of our routine). My second is totally resistant, so she's not ready and I won't force it, she's only two.

So yeah, while I'm pregnant and tandem nursing, I don't plan to tandem nurse the whole way through. Five was always our plan for a cut off and my oldest's fifth birthday is before my EDD. Heck, I don't know if this pregnancy is even going to stick yet (I'm PALx2) so this may be my only post here, but I did want it to be encouraging. I ended up with next to no supply for months (drops if that) and it was like a roller coaster. I just nursed mostly on request, said no when it hurt and explained that sometimes I was sore and couldn't and--and this is important--made certain she never associated the baby with being told 'no.' I didn't want any resentment in that.

I talked about how the baby would bring new yummy milk and focused on the positive, re: nursing. I made it sound fun to share with the baby, etc. It must have worked, as we had no sibling rivalry until the 'terrible twos' met the "OMG, give me back the 'terrible' twos" three/four. They both hit the mine phase at the same time, but it never affected our nursing relationships, even if my youngest is super possessive.

So it can be done, even through hardships and yes, it was worth it. I'm very glad I stuck it out, especially when I had a baby with a weak suck and lazy latch who wanted instant gratification. I don't respond to a pump, but my toddler would nurse for a few seconds, stimulate letdown (and soften the engorgement) and then right to the baby, who would nurse. With all the other problems I had with nursing my second, having her sister there was a learning process, but it was also a great boon.

Most pain/aversion goes away with birth, but not always. For me, I had it toward my newborn's horrible latch until it improved. The pain didn't come back until recently, as my oldest is forgetting how to nurse as she is reaching the last stage of natural weaning.

Congratulations to everyone! I'm going to go lurk and worry over every little thing now, lol. Have amazing pregnancies and hopefully, I'll get to stick around and get to know everyone.

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#8 of 50 Old 02-25-2011, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

xakana, that is so impressive!  how awesome... 

i hope all our babies are sticky, i'm PAL this time, too.  and your post IS very encouraging!  :)

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#9 of 50 Old 02-25-2011, 05:03 PM

I'm the head mod on a Pregnant and Tandem Nursing Mom's group on another site ;) I tried to combine answers from all the most basic questions in there.

You're right--sticky babies to us all!

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#10 of 50 Old 02-26-2011, 11:03 AM

nak...

I would like to night-wean. DD seems to be nursing more at night now... ugh. She'll be 2 at the end of april and if she hasn't night-weaned by then on her own, i will initiate. I can see some benefits of tandem-nursing, esp since these two will be a close spacing (unplanned). My old neighbor tandem-nursed all 4 of her kids (not all together, lol, was only nursing one by the time new baby was born). She talked about how great it was for easing the shock of the new baby, maintaining closeness after the birth, etc.

But if DD weans herself due to low supply, I would let it happen.

dissertating mom to three

#11 of 50 Old 02-27-2011, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Another tandem mama here.. I'm very ready for dd to wean though! Sure hope milk drying up turns her off, because I don't think I'm up for triandem nursing! I'll probably wait till after we move (end of May) to nightwean ds, because I think its easier to nightwean and move them to their own bed at the same time.. at least thats what we did with dd. there's NO room in our bedroom for a mattress on the floor! I haven't had any soreness, but then again, I still half think the hpt is BSing me anyway, lol. 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#12 of 50 Old 02-28-2011, 12:07 PM

I'm hoping my four year old self-weans in the next few months, but if she doesn't, I'm going to continue cutting feedings because I have no idea how long I'll be able to stand tandem nursing while pregnant. It helps that she only nurses for a minute here and there.

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#13 of 50 Old 02-28-2011, 01:20 PM

I was nursing my 16 month old up until I got my BFP then I had to start weaning her... I have high risk pregnancies due to an incompetent cervix an irritable uterus :( Im still sad about it..

#14 of 50 Old 03-01-2011, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
My ds weaned when I was a few months pg with dd. We had slowly been cutting back anyways and he just started telling me no more and more often when I asked if he wanted to nurse. So, I quit offering and he stopped asking. It was shockingly easy. But, I think the milk started changing flavor because he would latch on for a few seconds, make a face, laugh and go off and play. He was nightweaned at about nine months though. I highly recommend the No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. She nurses and co-sleeps so you know where the book is coming from.

My DD is far more attached to milkies though. She didn't nightwean until 14 months, but she is down to 2 nursings a day now. So, we'll see. If she weans, fine, if not tandem nursing would be fine, too.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#15 of 50 Old 03-01-2011, 11:12 AM

So when your milk decreases is it sudden or gradual?
#16 of 50 Old 03-01-2011, 12:13 PM

I second The No Cry Sleep Solution and Adventures in Tandem Nursing.

I'm not nursing now... haven't been for 4.5 years. But I do have some experience. I nursed dd1 through my entire pregnancy and then tandem nursed for a year. It worked for me... no milk supply issues. :)

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

#17 of 50 Old 03-02-2011, 06:13 AM

My DD nurses very occasionally at bedtime, she says there is still milk but I don't know. I nursed DS all through my pregnancy with DD which got to be too much to handle at times, but I didn't want to end the nursing relationship before he was ready. DD nurses much less than DS did so I don't expect to have the same problems this time around.

mama to ds 6, dd 4, & ds who arrived March 2012

#18 of 50 Old 03-03-2011, 05:17 AM

My milk has decreased overall a bit but it seems one side is worse than the other.  It has always produced a little less but now it seems like he barely gets anything out! :(  

I feel like it's my fault because I prefer him on the breast that makes more...it's just more comfortable.  So I am making the problem worse by not nursing him on that side as much.  

Has anyone ever heard that breastfeeding can interfere with progesterone?  I have this fear that I am going to cause a miscarriage by nursing even though my doctor assured me it was fine.  I know the uterine contractions won't cause it but I'm worried it will mess with my hormone levels.  It is probably not a rational fear but a fear of mine nonetheless.  

#19 of 50 Old 03-03-2011, 01:36 PM

Usually, progesterone produced by pregnancy trumps all other hormones. If your doc says you're okay, and that's very rare for a doctor, then you probably are.

The milk decreases gradually, usually starting between 12-24 weeks with the possibility of sudden drops. Sudden drops are usually (not always) dietary-caused, though.

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#20 of 50 Old 03-06-2011, 01:45 PM

Currenting still breastfeeding three year old and hoping to tandem. Though thats a long way yet!

I have noticed that nipple sensitivity seems to disappear when I drink nettle infusion. Though not sure if this is just a coincidence.

#21 of 50 Old 03-06-2011, 07:13 PM

My DD is sick and wanting to nurse all the time the past couple of days and it has been sooo painful!  I'll have to try a nettle infusion.  Would love any other suggestions if anyone has any!

#22 of 50 Old 03-06-2011, 10:53 PM

Probably worth mentioning that I'm also drinking a red raspberry leaf and red clover infusion which I know lots of people would frown upon. So I'm not sure how that effects things.  But I did start drinking the infusions while TTC so the cramping that happened when I firsted start drinking the raspberry leaf wasn't whilst pregnant.

I started trying to alternate week about but found that nipples were a bit sore on latch. I normally got this just before period anyhow. I think that during the week when I stopped the nettle and was only on the raspberry leaf and red clover that the latch pain was worse. But not sure :(

I also found that I don't like drinking just one infusion as I go off the taste after a week.

At the minute I'm alternating day about rather than week about as it seems to feel better overall. If I can get another flask I will probably just have one cuppa each daily.

My little nursling has also started STTN which is good but things had been headed that direction for a while.

#23 of 50 Old 03-06-2011, 10:57 PM

Hope your little gets better soon, constant nursing with the searing latch is not good.

hug2.gif

#24 of 50 Old 03-07-2011, 07:24 PM

Not an official member of this forum yet but wanted to chime in. Still nursing DD, who is 2.5. Would be fine with tandem nursing, as long as she cuts down- she is a BOOBAHOLIC, literally nurses as much a newborn, and has a fit if told no- she was doing better with waiting and distracting, but she's been simply attatched to me for the past few weeks!

One more thing- a little less than a week after the night this baby would have been concieved, DD pulled off to tell me my "boobies went bad" and my "boobies tasted yucky" and "I had to fix them". She said this repeatedly, even switching sides, and then telling me the same about the other. She said it several times that day but nothing since.

Anyone ever had a nursling notice a change in your milk this early in your pregnancy? She's never said anything like that before, and it was totally outta nowhere.

forever following the lead of a colorful active little monkey
#25 of 50 Old 03-08-2011, 07:05 PM

xakana - Thanks for the helpful info!

2.5 year old is still nursing, but I'm working on night-weaning since I'm getting so little sleep these days.  It isn't exactly tearless for him, poor boy, but I'm suffering when he wakes at 3 am and then just sleeps restlessly until popping out of bed at 5:30!  I'm also still working now so this sleep thing needs to get better.  I love nursing him and plan to continue for as long as I can through the pregnancy or past it!  I'm glad to hear that supply doesn't go down this early, because I swear it went up as he was gulping for awhile before bed!

Me (30) and DH (30), DS (7/1/08), DD (12/1/11) and finally expecting a new little one end of Jan/early Feb 2015!  
#26 of 50 Old 03-09-2011, 05:58 AM
Banned

Another mama with a nursling here. DD just turned 21 months and nurses a lot! I am constantly offering her solid foods but she is really not into them. I am torn as to whether trying to gently push from nursing will make her more clingy or get her into eating other foods.

I don't have much pain when nursing her but she is a chronic pincher and my tolerance for that has disappeared because my nipples are much more sensitive. Almost like before my AF...Usually shortly before AF there will be a couple of days where my nipples get very dry and sensitive and crack a little bit, no bleeding but painful. I just nurse through it because my AF usually starts a day or 2 later. Well that happened over a week ago and no AF so just one more little sign that I definitely think I am PG...I honestly can't tell if my boobs feel bigger or fuller or more tender, they never got very painful with my last PG, so we'll see. I would be happy to tandem nurse once new baby comes but I also am somewhat tempted at the idea of weaning DD while PG, if my milk completely dried up I wouldn't be sad I don't think. She is just a crazy nurser, never holds still, wants to change sides constantly etc...

#27 of 50 Old 03-09-2011, 09:38 AM

Oh the twiddlling and constant changing sides sound so familiar. The twiddling was in full swing a few weeks but happily seems to have stopped for now.....

#28 of 50 Old 03-09-2011, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Aww, my poor nurslings, my supply is already taking a nosedive! I'm only 5 weeks, give or take a day or two, and I've been noticing there's less for a few days. Allie (4) said one night, "hey! there's no milk in here!..But its big!" lol. she expects a ton of milk when they're bigger than usual because of engorgement. the little one has been asking for lots more water and his night time diapers are less wet in the morning since he isn't tanking up on milk all night long. His day time diapers are more or less the same. And ooohhh he's trying to make up for lost volume in frequency! I remember Allie doing this but she was way worse about it. Ahh well, its still early, he still has time to become just as bad as her :P I hope we're paving the way for smooth night weaning. dh usually puts him to bed after I nurse him and give him hugs and kisses and say night night, and usually, when we're going through our hugs and kisses routine.. he starts fussing and crying "bum bum" (his word for nursing.. no idea where he got it unless he's trying to say num num) and signing milk and then cries for a brief minute after I leave the room.. then gets over it and goes to sleep. Well, last night at bedtime he hardly wanted to nurse at all, then seemed impatient for me to hand him over to dh like he was welcoming sleep! Not a single fuss. And he started waking up fussing in the middle of the night but calmed himself down and was back asleep before i even had rolled over and lifted my shirt up. good signs!! i definitely need him sleeping in his own bed without nightwaking before i start getting up to pee 5x a night. He's giving me a glimmer of hope that he's going to cooperate. yay! we're going to start the transition right after we move, which will be shortly after he turns 2.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#29 of 50 Old 03-15-2011, 06:03 AM

I'm breastfeeding my DD (22 months old). I'm really hoping we'll go all the way to tandem. :) At the moment, she's gotten SUPER clingy and she twiddles and OMG when she twiddles I want to DIEEEE right now. I tried to lay down the lay yesterday about twiddling and wound up with a massive headache from her screaming at the top of her lungs and a totally clawed up arm. :( I really wish I had enforced nursing manners better from the start.

I'm picking up a copy of Adventures in Tandem Nursing soon from a friend...but I guess I need to work on distracting myself better or something.

~Sarah

treehugger.gif  trekkie.gifcat.gifcarrot.gif
Mom to Vala ribboncesarean.gif 5/09, Anya hbac.gif 11/11, & one on the way 12/13

Check out my blog- http://healingcesareanscars.blogspot.com/

#30 of 50 Old 03-15-2011, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm still nursing my 19mo DD.  While she eats a decent amount of solid food, she still nurses a lot, probably ever 2-3 hours around the clock.  I have noticed her nursing more the past few day and I'm not sure if it's from lower supply or just coincidence.  I will continue to nurse her for as long as she wants and would be happy to tandem-nurse if it goes that way.  So far I don't have any breast-pain whatsoever, which is strange, because my boobs have HURT with my other pregnancies.  I suspect that it'll be coming on any day now as I'm only 4-5 weeks along.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page