Vitamin D - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2011, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How much do you take? I have solar urticaria, so getting it from the sun isn't possible for me ;) However, there have been a lot of studies done lately on Vit D. One showed that women are less likely to miscarry if they're getting enough and another showed  that it helps prevent preterm labor. However, the old recommendation of the tiny amount of D3 (400iu) was supposed to be because Vit D could cause birth defects.

So, how much do you take? I'm just taking what's in my multivitamin right now, but I have randomly popped one of my 2000iu vitamins and I'm thinking about starting back up to hopefully help prevent miscarriage. Then again, it seems to only really be valuable in growing the uterine lining and I wonder if my use of 1-2 vitamins a day before we started TTC didn't help me get pregnant the first try--for the first time that's ever happened to me?

Links:

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-04-30/health/vitamin.d.pregnancy_1_vitamin-d-intake-pregnant-women-pregnancy?_s=PM:HEALTH

http://www.gettingpregnantnow.org/Articles/The_Fertility_Nutrient__Vitamin_D.html

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 08:04 PM

I follow WAPF guidelines (for the most part) :

http://www.westonaprice.org/cod-liver-oil/238-cod-liver-oil-basics.html

I take the Carlson's brand and take 2 in the morning and 2 at night.  They are quite big, but they slide down easy.

http://www.vitacost.com/Carlson-Cod-Liver-Oil-Super

ETA:  My cod liver oil bottle says 400 IU of Vit D per pill, not 250 like on the link.  So I take 1600 IU.

Wifey to B-Rax  Momma to Cartman 10-30-2006.  Gryff 5-7-2008.  angel.gif 8-15-2010.  My rainbow1284.gif baby Babs 11-13-11.  Due with #4 in May/June.  Gluten-Free. Raw milk drinkers. Urban homesteaders.
 teapot2.GIF  delayedvax.gif  selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif  cd.gif  knit.gif  chicken3.gif  waterbirth.jpg 

Old 03-02-2011, 06:44 AM

I had my blood tested just 3 weeks ago, and while the doctor didn't mention it, my Vitamin D levels were well below ideal at 31. They showed up within the labs normal range, but most doctors and nutritionists that have studied vitamin D recommend an ideal level of 70-100. Obviously I have a ways to go to get there. I have been supplementing with anywhere from 6000-8000 iu daily to get my levels up. Everything I have read says babies do better with higher vitamin D content in the mother. I did read the cnn article you linked to, I usually take my mainstream media information with a grain of salt, and go and read the actual research papers and find out who was behind the research. When money is involved, it can be skewed big time. It is hard, but not impossible, to overdose on Vitamin D, unless you are taking D2, which is NOT the naturally occurring form of vitamin D. More on this here. Vitamin D2 or D3? Look and see what form your prenatal has as well.

The vitamin D council also has more info on Vitamin D in pregnancy & lactation here. Here is a blurb from a health blog I read frequently about Vitamin D levels in general. It doesn't talk about D in pregnancy, but he does touch on the belief that many people think they will get enough D from the sun, which is not true for most of us. The only way to find out what our level is is to have our blood tested. I have more links to more info as this is something I have been studying lately in general, but I think the ones I posted give a decent enough overview. If you want more information I'm glad to post it.

mama to ds 9, dd 7, & ds 2
Old 03-06-2011, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Cool, thanks, Sommer!

I can't do lab tests for a couple months at least (no insurance) but I did check my vitamin (not a prenatal, still need to get some) and it has 800iu D3 (I don't think I've ever taken a vitamin with D2?). I may pop a D3 a day, too, then.

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
Old 03-08-2011, 09:50 AM

I love Vitamin D. I started taking it last winter with the H1N1 scare to help boost my and my kids metabolism and I am proud to say it worked.  I haven't really kept up with it as well lately becasue Im in the South and it been nice but after reading the Vitamin D and pregnancy article posted by you sommer, I am starting back on 4,000IU a day. Thanks for the information ladies!

novaxnocirc.gif mama to my 2 yo wild man and my beautiful 11 yo DD.  Married to the best DH ever since October 2010!!! angel.gif 5/2011

Old 03-08-2011, 10:11 AM

I am not pregnant but recently I have been taking 10,000 IU's a day.  This is what my pediatrician recommended for while I'm nursing, and since me and baby have been sick lately I am trying to keep up with it.  When I'm not nursing I'll take maybe only one 5000 IU pill a week, especially if its summer and/or I've been out in the sun alot.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

User Tag List