Weight Gain? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 03-13-2011, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How much weight, if any, have you guys gained so far? I have not gained any. May have lost just a bit due to making healthier food choices. With my last pregnancy, I gained a lot, and never had to worry much about weight before that (I was 18). Since then, I have never been the same--I became overweight for a few years and just recently worked really hard to get and stay in shape. Now I worry about gaining too much again and being fat for years, but also about not gaining enough to be healthy!

Rachel, massage therapist and single mom :to Keanu 7/29/04 and Juniper 11/18/11!  Lovingfemalesling.GIFcd.gifnamaste.giflactivist.gifgd.giffambedsingle1.gif

#2 of 45 Old 03-13-2011, 10:38 AM

I have been petrified to get on the scale. I just lost 30 pounds before getting pregnany, but now I feel really bloated and know I've gained some weight. Guess I'll have to suck it up and weigh myself tomorrow! It's such a conflict to work so hard to lose it and then it comes back so quickly. A happy reason though! 

Pregnancy Tickers from WiddlyTinks.com
#3 of 45 Old 03-14-2011, 05:55 AM

I always told myself I'd lose weight when I hit 150 (I'm only 5'3'')... I weighed myself the other day, 155. This baby makes me eat 24/7 and I'm so bloated. It terrifies me because there's nothing I can do about it for 9 months. =(

Me: read.gif, DH: jammin.gif, Two cat.gif, Two dog2.gif, DS: babyboy.gif (10/31/11), DD: babygirl.gif (9/17/13). blowkiss.gif

dizzy.gifcaffix.gifbiglaugh.giffaint.gif

broc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gif

#4 of 45 Old 04-17-2011, 11:04 AM

With my first pregnancy I gained 45 pounds, making me nearly 170 at my final weigh in.  After giving birth my "normal" weight has been about ten pounds more than my previous weight which I just can't seem to cut--probably because I am a bit of a yo-yo-er.  I am hoping to not gain as much this pregnancy.  I am trying to stay more active this time around--I have a gym membership, and am happy to be pregnant through the spring/summer months, which will hopefully keep me more active, along with my dog and (almost) 5 year old!

Last time I had many personal struggles which most likely aided my weight gain, and at 5'2 I am hoping to gain a "healthier" amount, without actively trying to manage the weight portion.  Our bodies need to increase blood volume, create milk supply, support the baby (with amniotic fluid and placenta) and then the weight of the baby itself, so I'm shooting for around 20-25 pounds tops (since I am so short), but I won't beat myself up if I gain more.  I'm just going to make the effort to eat well (more often than not), have many smaller meals throughout the day, take a good prenatal, get exercise--even a tiny bit--each day, and try to stay positive.

Our bodies know what to do, but I understand also wanting to be healthy and happy in your own body. =)

#5 of 45 Old 04-17-2011, 11:11 AM

This is my fourth child and I gained about 50-55 with each of my earlier pregnancies. It was very hard to lose it between pregnancies, but between DS2 and DS3 I managed to lose all of it and was in great shape. I gained 55 again with DS3 and still have not lost 25 pounds of that. So, yes, weight is on my mind. I really don't want to gain 50 pounds this time around and find myself with even more weight to lose after the baby is born.

So far I've gained 2 or 3 pounds, which for 12 weeks is awesome for me (in previous pregnancies I usually gained around 10-12 in the first trimester). So far so good. I'm trying to completely stay away from sugar and I am only drinking water (oh, and a cup of coffee in the morning). In my previous pregnancies I tended to try and find "substitutions" for alcohol, which usually contain sugar. 

Good luck to you!

#6 of 45 Old 04-17-2011, 01:21 PM

Zero so far at almost 8 weeks. In fact, I may have lost some, probably due to me only craving meat and that's about it. I'm 5 foot and around 120 lbs and this is my third child, so so far so good. I gained about 15 lbs for DD's 31 week pregnancy (but started at 127 at 8 weeks, which was very high for me) and about 20 lbs for DS's full term. With DD I had gestational diabetes, so I altered my diet drastically for DS and didn't gain weight at all until around 20 weeks. Not being quite so drastic this time round, although my body is totally off carbs anyway, so who knows. I've been lucky enough to go back to my normal weight fairly quickly each time, although my general shape is certainly not what it was 5 years ago!

#7 of 45 Old 04-17-2011, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm 9 weeks and have gained around 9lbs, which is standard for me.  I start putting on weight the moment I'm pregnant!  I gained about 50lbs with both pregnancies, so that's what I expect this time too.  Luckily breastfeeding sucks the fat right off of me and I get back to normal within 6mo or so..  I'm just rolling with the weight gain, I'm always hungry and eating is the only thing that makes me feel better.   I am 5'7 and was 122lbs before I got pregnant.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#8 of 45 Old 04-17-2011, 04:59 PM

I've lost about 5 lbs so far (I'm about 8 wks). I topped out at 175 with both of my other kiddos, though, which is about 45-50 lbs more than I usually weigh. I'm lucky enough that nursing and walking everywhere we go seems to take it right back off, though. I don't expect to gain less than 40 lbs this time, but hopefully it'll fall off as easily as the last two times!

Mom to blahblah.gifDD (5/07), diaper.gifDS1 (02/10)h20homebirth.gif and babyboy.gif DS2 (11/11)h20homebirth.gif !

#9 of 45 Old 04-17-2011, 05:32 PM

I was 113 before baby, 118 now, so I've gained 5 pounds so far. I'm about 10 weeks. 

mom to dd 8/03 ds 6/06 and numero tres, ds 11/11 stillheart.gif

#10 of 45 Old 04-17-2011, 05:47 PM

I feel like I have gained weight but I have lost 7 lbs.  I am a bit conserned about it but I will keep eating healthy and hopefully my body will catch up.

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#11 of 45 Old 04-17-2011, 06:43 PM

At my appointment last Tuesday I had lost 1/2 a lb. That makes sense because I haven't been able to eat much. However, I am feeling quite a bit better the last several days, so I've been able to eat more, so I'm sure that will change quickly.

Last time, I gained 42 lbs, but I started out weighing quite a bit less than I did this time. It sucked pretty bad. I gained all the pregnancy weight, lost it plus 5 lbs within a few months of nursing. Once she stopped nursing about a year ago, the weight came back like it was nothing. Of course it took me a while to remember that I wasn't nursing anymore... meaning I didn't have to eat like I was nursing. I had just started cutting back when I got pregnant, so now I guess the weight loss has to wait until this babe comes. 

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#12 of 45 Old 04-17-2011, 09:01 PM

I'm going to say 0.  I'll find out for sure on Thursday. Edited to add I've gained 1lb

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(10),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#13 of 45 Old 04-18-2011, 06:11 AM

8 wks here and I've lost 3-4 lbs. I just cannot eat a lot of food :( With Kieran I gained 40-45 lbs, but it was more weighted to the back end of pregnancy. I'm hoping to not gain that much this time.

Mama to DS (12/11/07) and partner to DH (08/08). Expecting #2 late November 2011!
#14 of 45 Old 04-18-2011, 09:31 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I'm 8 weeks today and I think I've gained about one pound, which is actually good for me b/c I don't usually gain anything for months.  I started all my pregnancies at about 100 pounds and in my last 2 pregnancies I've topped out at about 22 and 26 pounds total, which causes my mw's to bug me incessantly about my diet.  They'd like me to gain more like 35 pounds since I start underweight.  On the other hand, I hope #3 doesn't go crazy on me cause me to gain a ton!  lol.gif

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#15 of 45 Old 04-18-2011, 10:45 AM

Oh, ha, I forgot to say that at ten weeks so far I have actually lost weight.  When I first found out I immediately gained about 5 pounds (likely to be psycho-somatic) and then have since lost that and a smidge more, even though I haven't been eating as well as I was at first, or exercising as much.  I am showing as if I'm 4 months though! 

#16 of 45 Old 04-18-2011, 12:04 PM

I'm sure I've gained a bit, but haven't checked.  I am definitely MUCH thicker around my waist, so bloated!  I only gained 22 lbs with my first pregnancy, and I know I'll likely gain more this time but wasn't expecting to look so pregnant so fast :)  I'm petite- 5'4" and 123 lbs normally.

#17 of 45 Old 04-19-2011, 07:45 PM

I just lost 15 pounds before getting pregnant to take me back to a healthy weight.  I was active and healthy before my first pregnancy and gained a very healthy 25 pounds during that pregnancy, but during my son's first 18 months of life I bounced up and down on the scale before finally getting serious a few months ago.  Like a few of you said, I think I gained 5 pounds upon finding out I was pregnant, and I feel bloated all the time, so I'm a little scared of the weight gain this pregnancy... but eating is all that makes me feel better these days so I'm just trying to eat nutritious things and focus on healthy baby.  We can worry about the weight next year : )

happily married since 2006 with toddler son (born August 2009) and baby girl (born November 2011).

#18 of 45 Old 04-19-2011, 08:09 PM

No clue. I make it a point to not weigh myself during pregnancy. I just try to listen to my body when it comes to my food choices.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#19 of 45 Old 04-20-2011, 07:14 AM

--

#20 of 45 Old 04-20-2011, 08:36 AM

Ive actually gained 2 pounds and Im 8 weeks.  Its funny because Ive been so sick and everything sounds gross- it probably the carbs. Or my new giant freaking boobs.  Vegetables are repulsive right now.  In the past I have gained no weight the first 2 tri's and gained WAY TOO MUCH weight the last tri...I will be happy with slow and steady this time, if my body allows me.  I cant wait until I get to the point that I can actually make healthy food choices- right now I just eat whatever sounds good, because what doesn't sound good makes me wretch.

Ash- DS 2003, DD 2006, and one baby Turkey born on Thanksgiving.

#21 of 45 Old 04-20-2011, 10:59 AM

With my first I lost 10 lbs in the first trimester. This time I lost five and have somehow already gained three back at 9 weeks. Not sure how since I'm barely able to eat or keep anything down and I'm nursing...but whatever.

~Sarah

treehugger.gif  trekkie.gifcat.gifcarrot.gif
Mom to Vala ribboncesarean.gif 5/09, Anya hbac.gif 11/11, & one on the way 12/13

Check out my blog- http://healingcesareanscars.blogspot.com/

#22 of 45 Old 04-20-2011, 02:13 PM

I am 8 weeks and lost 2 lbs. I am also a runner and nursing DS so I force myself to eat. it is challenging when just the thought of food makes me feel like I am going to get sick.

42 year old runnerjog.gif, hiker. Mom to DS(6/28/08) smile.gifand married to my best friend. Cloth diaper and plan to homeschool. Love my life in the mountains. Identical twin boys born 11/3/11 selectivevax.gifgoorganic.jpgbfolderchild.gifnocirc.giffambedsingle2.gif

#23 of 45 Old 06-14-2011, 04:52 PM

Just reviving this thread now that's we're farther along thumb.gif

So, how much weight have you all gained, now? 

I started very overweight at 207 on the morning of my BFP. I'm 5'7" if that helps... 

Anyhow, I lost weight during the first two months, getting down to 199, but in the last two weeks I've gained 8 pounds and I haven't done anything different!! I'm now 212; so I've gained 5 pounds total. My 'doctor' said I shouldn't gain anything because I'm so fat, but how can I not gain anything - really???

My midwife, on the other hand, doesn't care what I weigh so long as I'm not eating ice cream for every meal - and I'm certainly not. I make every effort to eat as healthfully as I possibly can - and I have been for the last two years. And I exercise regularly, as well. I was anorexic and bulimic for 10 years, so I think I just really, really screwed up my body and it has a really hard time letting go of weight. guilty.gif

#24 of 45 Old 06-14-2011, 06:11 PM

My weight has yo-yo'ed this pregnancy so far.  I started around probably 170 though Im not sure.  I was 155 in December :(  after I had surgery I gained a LOT because it limited my activity so much. 

So at 8 weeks I was 173, at 12 weeks 176 (because by some terrible miracle of God I can throw up multiple times a day and still gain weight) and at my 16 wk appt I was 172.  Its strange because Ive been feeling better and eating a ton of crap so I thought I would step on the scale and cry...but no...lost weight.

I shouldnt be surprised.  Ive never gained weight in the 2nd tri- always too much in the 3rd though.

Ash- DS 2003, DD 2006, and one baby Turkey born on Thanksgiving.

#25 of 45 Old 06-14-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaLady View Post

Just reviving this thread now that's we're farther along thumb.gif

So, how much weight have you all gained, now? 

I started very overweight at 207 on the morning of my BFP. I'm 5'7" if that helps... 

Anyhow, I lost weight during the first two months, getting down to 199, but in the last two weeks I've gained 8 pounds and I haven't done anything different!! I'm now 212; so I've gained 5 pounds total. My 'doctor' said I shouldn't gain anything because I'm so fat, but how can I not gain anything - really???

My midwife, on the other hand, doesn't care what I weigh so long as I'm not eating ice cream for every meal - and I'm certainly not. I make every effort to eat as healthfully as I possibly can - and I have been for the last two years. And I exercise regularly, as well. I was anorexic and bulimic for 10 years, so I think I just really, really screwed up my body and it has a really hard time letting go of weight. guilty.gif

Ugh that doctor sounds really annoying. I was overweight (about 200 lbs) when I got pregnant with DS2 and I did EVERYTHING in my power to not gain much weight. Swam laps 4x a week, took long walks daily with DS1, did not indulge in pretty much anything (oh how hard that was!) and I managed to keep my weight gain somewhat under control (25 pounds) but there is no way I wouldn't have gained ANY weight. That's crazy - against the very biology of pregnancy. 

I also used to mess with my body as a teenager (I was not officially anorexic, but I survived on diet coke and one small salad a day for a couple of years in high school, so I certainly wasn't healthy) and my weight has been hard to manage ever since. It's frustrating when there is a huge amount of weight bias in our society and an assumption that someone who is overweight must overindulge too much. 

Anyway, I've gained about 10 pounds this pregnancy so far (20 wks).

#26 of 45 Old 06-14-2011, 06:41 PM

I'm really, really, really overweight. (Got all of you beat.) So I'd really not like to gain much. I had put on 2 lbs as of my 16 week appt but that's back off now. (Bad week) Really it doesn't take much for me not to gain. I have to give in several days on a naughty craving week to even gain anything. My MW wants me to keep it within 10 lbs but she also wants me not to stress about it. I'm hoping I can keep things under control and not make life any harder on myself than it has to be.

Mom to three crazy boys, a roly poly baby boy, and one on the way! stork-boy.gif

#27 of 45 Old 06-14-2011, 06:59 PM

Thank you all so much for your input!! blowkiss.gif

berry987, sounds like we're in the same boat. I'm fairly active, I'm one of the most healthy people I know. DH and I eat an impeccably 'clean' diet - nearly everything local and organic, grass fed, free range, ect and yet I'm still overweight by 50 pounds or more. And you're right how annoying it is that the assumption is that if one is heavy they are therefore unhealthy and eat fast food for every meal. It's really, really hard to deal with. I have found that cutting out most carbs (especially sugar) makes me feel really, really good - but since becoming pregnant I've had a really hard time with cravings for sweet things... I will admit to having three pints of Ben and Jerry's in the last month!! duck.gif

I'm going to keep doing my best... but I doubt I'll be able to keep my weight gain to 'none' or even keep it at the five pounds I've packed on. We'll see!! 

#28 of 45 Old 06-14-2011, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I gain weight like crazy when I'm pregnant..

I started out at 122lbs.  I'm now 17w along and 140lbs.  I've gained around 17-18lbs, which is normal for me in pregnancy.  I tend to gain 45-50lbs in the end.  I eat healthy food and stay as active as I can, it's just how my body works.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#29 of 45 Old 06-14-2011, 09:34 PM

I started out 116 pounds, weighed in once at 7ish weeks at 113 pounds, and haven't weighed in since. My midwife doesn't do weigh-ins, and since I've struggled with body image issues heavily in the past, it's habi I don't want to get back into because it's a slippery slope for me.

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#30 of 45 Old 06-14-2011, 09:43 PM

I can completely understand, MsVyKy. I'm considering really just tucking my scale away. The numbers are somewhat haunting to me as I'm now more than double what I used to weigh when I was deep in my eating disorders... 

My midwife doesn't do weigh-ins, either which is nice thumb.gif

I am just really curious, though as this is my first pregnancy. I do wonder what my body will do. Maybe I could just weigh in again at 30 weeks and then again at the end.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page