Rough week, but good ending (so far)... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-15-2011, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi ladies,

I hesitated to post this thread because I really don't like to draw attention to myself.  But I figure posting my experience might help or give hope to another woman who is going through something similar.

Last Monday I had heavy, bright red bleeding.  :(  It was bad.  After talking to my OB's office, I went to the ER.  I got a beta and an ultrasound.  The ultrasound was showing a sac.  (I guess that's about normal for what you expect to see at 5 weeks).  The doctor said the pregnancy had a 50/50 chance.

The bleeding tapered off on Monday night.  I went to my OB on Wednesday who drew another beta and did another u/s.  He said he could see the sac, a yolk sac and a little bit of baby but the sac looked irregular.  Once I got home and googled "irregular sac" I was not very optimistic.

Wednesday's beta results actually went up - so that was great news.  Yesterday I had yet another u/s (yikes) and the tech was able to show us a beautiful little heartbeat, 146 bpm!!!  She measured the little bean in there and updated my due date to November 7th (I had calculated Nov. 5th based on O date).

So I'm basically thrilled.  I'm just hoping that everything continues to go well for this little bean...it had sort of a rough start.

The u/s tech yesterday suggested that maybe I had a vanishing twin which makes me sad.  But I am also grateful that this bean looks OK so far.

Mama to a little bouncy girl (11/08) and someone new coming 11/11!
#2 of 3 Old 03-15-2011, 12:59 PM

Congratulations, mama! 

I went through a similar situation with my first child.  There were two sites, one in my uterus and one in my fallopian tube base by the ovary.  I too had bleeding, which was what prompted me going into the er.  The u/s for me was what showed the two sites.  I was followed for about 1.5 weeks, with scans and blood draws.  My uterine sac actually collapsed and we have the scan images at home.  My blood levels dropped quite a bit.  I was sent home finally with instructions to stay home from work and wait it out.  I waited another week or so then got antsy and went back to work.  Finally, a week more and I had a conclusion scan.  We were shocked to find a baby with a heartbeat!!  It had been several weeks at this point, and I had bled, and cramped a lot.  What we determined was that the second site we found was a twin ectopic that passed naturally, leaving my stronger, more viable baby to develop.  Today he's a healthy nearly 6 year old!

And y'know?  He's still a fighter!  Praying for your little fighter, too!

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#3 of 3 Old 03-15-2011, 03:15 PM

The same thing happened to my sister when she was pregnant with my nephew. Around 6 weeks, she started bleeding and her GP told her she was probably having a miscarriage, no ultrasound or bloodwork done. Two weeks later, did an ultrasound and there was one, strong heartbeat. They said she also probably lost a twin. 

I'm glad things are looking good for you!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page