What are you drinking? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-19-2011, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So I'm constantly thirsty which is good because I definitely need to drink more but water and nausea don't mix well. Lemon in my water helps a little but I don't always have lemon. I could drink Crystal Lite or something but that's not healthy (especially not now). What can I drink that has a touch of flavor, little sugar/sodium and now artificial sweeteners? Yeah, that doesn't even sound possible. Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2011, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't know anything about using stevia in pregnancy, but I just read that Vitawater (? I think?) has a bottled water flavored with stevia, no artificial sweeteners. 

I love xylitol and can't wait until it's more widely used. It's another all natural sweetener.  I used it throughout my last pregnancy to maintain my dental health, and I give it to my kids who used to be cavity-prone, and now have great teeth because of the xylitol. Their dentist sells it. shine.gif  For now apparently you can buy xylitol syrup to use in your own water, if you want to.  I haven't tried that but I'm thinking I might order some.  Here's another brand.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

Old 03-19-2011, 07:05 PM

I make a big pitcher of ice water with lemon, lime and orange slices (and sometimes cucumber) and stick it in the fridge. It helps to see my progress and the fruit really helps with my nausea.

~Sarah

treehugger.gif  trekkie.gifcat.gifcarrot.gif
Mom to Vala ribboncesarean.gif 5/09, Anya hbac.gif 11/11, & one on the way 12/13

Check out my blog- http://healingcesareanscars.blogspot.com/

Old 03-19-2011, 07:40 PM

Kombucha  :)

forever following the lead of a colorful active little monkey
Old 03-19-2011, 08:29 PM

Tea (herbal)!

And I just picked up some ginger ale for when I really need it.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:36 PM

Citrus helps tremendously with my nausea.  I love to make a mix of 1/4 OJ, 3/4 water and sip that.

Mama to a little bouncy girl (11/08) and someone new coming 11/11!
Old 03-22-2011, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykittymomma View Post

I make a big pitcher of ice water with lemon, lime and orange slices (and sometimes cucumber) and stick it in the fridge. It helps to see my progress and the fruit really helps with my nausea.

I really like this idea.  I will have to give it a try.

"I got 99 problems, but the truth ain't one." - Stephen Colbert
Old 03-23-2011, 07:03 AM

I just drink water, mostly, but also natural brew ginger ale and decaf coffee. But those are both kinda rare. Everything except water leaves a horrible aftertaste in my mouth :(

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
Old 03-23-2011, 10:34 AM

During the first trimester of my last pregnancy, Reed's Ginger Brew was a lifesaver.  It's naturally sweetened and has real ginger in it.  It worked really well to keep my nausea down.  I also made ginger tea by boiling ginger slices in water.  You can add some agave or honey.

Right now I'm eating tons of citrus (grapefruit and oranges together).  If you can stomach citrus fruit, it's got tons of water in it so it will keep you hydrated.  Also soups and/or broth (with not too much salt) will keep you hydrated.  I remember miso broth helping a lot in my first pregnancy.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:25 PM

I drink a lot of herbal tea these days. I used to be a Earl Grey gal, but I'm taking a break from real tea for at least the first trimester. I've been drinking lots of mint tea, some chamomile, sometimes ginger, sometimes a fruity, tart herbal blend. I also drink water with a little lemon juice in it pretty regularly. Perhaps buy a bottle of lemon juice to keep in the fridge for when you run out of actual lemons? And I really love carbonated water these days, but don't have it around as often as I'd like. :)

Old 04-01-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj's_mom View Post

Kombucha  :)

i was wondering about this! I drank it before hand and now am worried about the alcohol in it!  What are your thoughts? Do you drink it everyday??

Thanks!

Old 04-02-2011, 06:13 AM

cucumber-lemon water is my go-to drink.  three slices of cucumber, one slice of lemon, lots of ice.  Yum!  I'm going to try citrus water, too, that sounds tasty!

Rachel, married to Andy, mama to Aubrey, Lauren, Sasha, and *surprise* Baby #4, due November, 2011
Old 04-02-2011, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I'm been drinking sparkling mineral water like crazy.  I rarely buy any sort of bottled water, but it's my special treat when I'm pregnant.  I will often squirt in some straight lemon juice, which helps with the queasiness.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
Old 04-02-2011, 12:33 PM

I drink water, coffee (half caffeine), seltzer with lime, and Izze (for when I want something really good!). 

Old 04-02-2011, 03:14 PM

Thanks for the good ideas. Will definitely try the cucumber/citrus water. I'm not feeling sick at all, just tired of plain water and sometimes have nothing because there's nothing else to choose from.

Karen (39), DH (40), DS (7/7/07), with three m/c (11/05, 10/09, 11/10), BFP for mid-November -- keeping fingers crossed!!
Old 04-04-2011, 04:01 PM

Although not the greatest or "purest" choice, the closest I've been able to get to water (makes me very sick to my stomach) is adding a little of the dry propel mix to the water. There are b vitamins mixed in as well and just a little taste helps me to stay hydrated. I think the b vitamins also help me with my MS so the water doesn't upset my stomach as much. Not ideal, but I've tried just about everything else, and it's what works for me right now. Good Luck! 

Pregnancy Tickers from WiddlyTinks.com

User Tag List