-- - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 04-01-2011, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heket View Post

We didn't find out for the first two and I don't plan to know for this one.  It was terribly hard for the u/s tech to not tell me last time and she keep goading me on "are you sure? really? I can tell you for certain right now..." irked.gif

That would really annoy me!  I was considering letting it be a surprise but knew I could easily cave if someone pressured me.   If I had been in your shoes, I might not have been able to resist, and then I would've been upset!  They should know not to do that!!

#32 of 40 Old 04-01-2011, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I didn't find out with my first two boys and while I'd be perfectly happy with all boys, I got honest with myself in my third pregnancy and decided that if it was going to be another boy (which it was) I would need to have a brief mourning period which I didn't want that to go down in the delivery room. We found out that time and if he'd been a girl we wouldn't find out this time but since we are now at Boys 3, Girls 0 I will be finding out again. If this one is a girl I won't want to find out with my next baby. Does that make sense?

#33 of 40 Old 04-02-2011, 05:17 AM

I am planning on no ultrasounds, so we will not be finding out.  But if there's a medical reason to do an ultrasound past 20w, we'll rethink that decision.  :-)

Rachel, married to Andy, mama to Aubrey, Lauren, Sasha, and *surprise* Baby #4, due November, 2011
#34 of 40 Old 04-02-2011, 05:57 AM

We are definitely finding out!  We will know early as we will have genetic testing (we have a blood incompatibilty and we want to know the baby's blood type so that my dh can donate blood for a transfusion after birth, if needed).  So I will know by 12-13 weeks wether the baby is XX or XY! 

I didn't know what my 2nd baby's sex was and I had to have an emergency c-section and was put under general.  I woke up, asked the nurse if she knew what sex the baby was, and she said "it was a boy, I think".  So anticlimactic.  Right then, I decided that I would find out ahead of time for the next one. 

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#35 of 40 Old 04-02-2011, 07:23 AM

Not finding out this time around. When I was pregnant, I NEEDED baby to be a girl. I had just lost my grandmother and I wanted to name her after her. Of course the moment I got a BFP, I knew she was a girl, but I wanted to the ultrasound to confirm.

This time, I honestly don't have a preference one way or another, and mama's intuition says we are having another girl. I just really want my SH to be able to tell me the sex of the baby when s/he is born.

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#36 of 40 Old 04-03-2011, 05:35 AM

I'm about 7 weeks (almost 8) pregnant and was thinking about this today. Do I want to know if my first child is going to be a boy or a girl? In all reality, I think a huge part of me wants to keep it a surprise. I have this notion that maybe it will make the labor a bit easier as I have this wonderful surprise at the end of it. But another part of me (the practical side) wants to know yesterday. Hubby wants to know. But he can't wait for surprises either - he's a big kid (aren't they all?).

While it's practical and makes it easier to plan things, does it deflate the pregnancy to some degree by already knowing?

Meeting my daughter somewhere between 21st - 27th November 2011

#37 of 40 Old 04-04-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsmomm View Post

I didn't find out with my first two boys and while I'd be perfectly happy with all boys, I got honest with myself in my third pregnancy and decided that if it was going to be another boy (which it was) I would need to have a brief mourning period which I didn't want that to go down in the delivery room. We found out that time and if he'd been a girl we wouldn't find out this time but since we are now at Boys 3, Girls 0 I will be finding out again. If this one is a girl I won't want to find out with my next baby. Does that make sense?

I understand.  Although I don't want to know with my first, if it ends up being a boy I think I'd want to find out for my second (we're only having two).  I'd want some time to mentally prepare for the fact that I'll never have a daughter.  If this one is a girl, I'd give my husband the option of finding out for the next one.  I might completely change my mind about all of this once I've had this baby, but those are my thoughts at the moment, at least.  

#38 of 40 Old 04-04-2011, 11:20 AM

I found out with each of my pregnancies. I didn't find out because of the planning aspect - I went pretty gender neutral anyway. And I love surprises. For me, finding out the gender gave me a chance to name them and, in many ways, bond with them more while I was still pregnant. And, really, the birth of your child is a momentous occasion with lots of surprises whether you know the baby's gender or not!

#39 of 40 Old 04-04-2011, 05:21 PM

I need time to adjust emotionally and intellectually to things.  To me, it is still a surprise to find out in utero, but it will give me time to adjust either way.  I'd be happy with a baby boy as much as a baby girl, it is more of a matter of adjusting to the energy/vibe of a boy or another girl.  It's not as if I could tell what the little one's personality would be like, or whose features they will have, hair and eye color, etc. so there is still plenty I would be happily surprised with--I just cannot imagine finding out their gender only when the baby is placed on me.  I like the bonding factor of knowing, it works for me.  It's impressive how many people here do not want to know, more power to you. 

I say, go with your own instincts and with what makes you feel comfortable, prepared or less stressed.  If it stresses you out not to know, then find out, if it is something you would kick yourself later, well, hold off.  If you change your mind you could always find out in a later ultrasound.  Good luck! 

#40 of 40 Old 04-05-2011, 05:25 AM

Now I am not so sure! Thinking of finding out and keeping a suprise ... not sure though. I'm fairly certain that it's a boy, and DH wants a boy very much, so it would be nice to have some time to adjust if it isn't ...

forever following the lead of a colorful active little monkey

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page