Nutrient-dense diet for a nursing and pregnant mama - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-25-2011, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm currently 7w5d with #2, and still nursing DD who is almost 2. I'm luckily not experiencing much in the way of MS or food aversions, but dealing with some crippling fatigue. This is making it very difficult to muster the energy to change my eating habits and eat a nutrient-dense diet. I know that if I start eating better, my fatigue will improve, but I just can't get myself moving on it.

So I was wondering if you ladies could help me by posting some suggestions of nutrient-dense (and protein heavy) meals that are easy to prepare and toddler friendly? Toddler is pretty adventurous, doesn't mind strong flavours like curry or ginger or salsa.

Also, if you could suggest websites or books to read that might help me?

Thanks so much!

Crafty, play-at-home mama to spirited 4 yo DD and zany 1 yo DS, living in an ecovillage in beautiful British Columbia. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 10:05 PM

I just made a huge batch of tabouli salad but with quinoa (high protien and high fiber) in the place of the couscous. 

ETA:   OOPS!!! don't do this!!  Before I ate any I thought to double check my memory and see for sure if parsley is alright in early pregnancy.  It seem it has mild abortofacent properties. One would likely need to eat it by the ton, but better to avoid in any real quantity in the first trimester.  http://www.pregnancy-info.net/parsley-and-other-herbal-dangers.html

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:25 AM

Old 03-26-2011, 06:58 AM

I make a guacamole dip with premade guac (I like Wholly brand), some fresh salsa (usually leftover from a restaurant), black beans, shredded cheese, and crumbled hard boiled egg. You can also add some fresh herbs and sour cream in there if you want. It's pretty quick to throw together and pretty nutrient dense.

I'm still looking for other suggestions too, b/c that's my go-to recipe. I'm in the same boat (though 5.5 weeks and nursing an almost 2 year old).

~Sarah

treehugger.gif  trekkie.gifcat.gifcarrot.gif
Mom to Vala ribboncesarean.gif 5/09, Anya hbac.gif 11/11, & one on the way 12/13

Check out my blog- http://healingcesareanscars.blogspot.com/

Old 03-26-2011, 11:29 AM

I've been pretty exhausted too, so I combined a few crockpot recipes to create something I call "veggie explosion".  I include some chopped-up fresh veggies that I sauté for a few minutes, but if you're too tired to even do that, you can just throw in all canned veggies and the quinoa.  It's packed with nutrients and you can mix up the seasoning for extra flavors. I like to top it with shredded cheese and chives.

Here's the recipe - it makes enough for a week or so, depending on how hungry y'all are!

In a pan, sautée for 5 mins.:

- 1-2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped (or more if you really like onions)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped

Then combine in crockpot all sautéed veggies plus:

- 1 15 oz. can black beans, with liquid
- 1 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can some other beans, rinsed and drained (kidney, navy, or more black beans if you like)
- 1 28 oz. can tomatoes (diced or puréed or whole, whichever)
- 1 small can (4 or 6 oz.?) tomato sauce/paste
- 1 can corn, drained
- Spices!  I used 1 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. paprika, 1 tbsp. dried basil, and 2 tbsp. Bragg's Organic Sprinkle (mix of various herbs/spices)

Cook on Low for 3-5 hours.  Add more tomato sauce OR some veggie broth if more liquid is needed/desired.

User Tag List