Interview questions for homebirth midwife? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-28-2011, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a whole list of questions last time when I started with an OB/GYN, but this time I'm not sure what to ask, since we've decided on a homebirth with a midwife. What questions would you ask a midwife in the initial interview?

Mama to DS (12/11/07) and partner to DH (08/08). Expecting #2 late November 2011!
#2 of 9 Old 03-28-2011, 04:02 PM

I'm actually not sure since I've been set on my midwife since I first met her to remove my IUD based on all my ICAN sisters recs. I'm interested in the answers though since I'm meeting with her tomorrow for my first prenatal visit and I probably should get some formal info.

~Sarah

treehugger.gif  trekkie.gifcat.gifcarrot.gif
Mom to Vala ribboncesarean.gif 5/09, Anya hbac.gif 11/11, & one on the way 12/13

Check out my blog- http://healingcesareanscars.blogspot.com/

#3 of 9 Old 03-28-2011, 04:13 PM

No answers, just wanted to say I'm excited for you! Besides, my questions would probably be different from yours, since I'd be worried about getting another fat-phobic midwife (can I NOT recommend a midwife for you? no, that's wrong... but she's flaked out on people IN birth, so... you can PM me if you don't already know who).

Usually, what are your fees, how involved are you usually, do you have a problem if I go postdates, what tests do you routinely run, etc.

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#4 of 9 Old 03-28-2011, 04:55 PM

If you have any specific concerns (complications from prior pg, scared of labor pain, whatever) mention it, and see how they respond, and how their response makes you feel.

I had a lot of questions to ask potential mw's with ds2, and both sets answered everything just fine. The determining factor was this: I was *terrified* of being induced again, because I was (am) sure that it led to complications with ds1's birth. One mw said something like "pitocin doesn't cause hemorrhaging. If it did, everyone who had pit would hemorrhage." The other mw said something like "It's possible it contributed, and it's also possible it didn't" and went on to say that she'd read that it can be a risk factor in hemorraging, but we can't really know if it was a factor in ds1's birth. Guess which one I went with, and I was SUPER happy with my decision, and am using the same mw team again.

Oh, I'd really want to know how soon they will come to you when you're in labor, and how they work the "on call" issue. Also, if any prenatal tests are "required."

eta- This thread might help :)

interviewing homebirth midwife, HELP!

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#5 of 9 Old 03-28-2011, 06:18 PM

I would ask about lab work.  Some midwives actually do their own, some require you to go to a hospital or lab for it. 

I'd also ask how many, if any, ob/gyn visits are required.  In our state law requires you have to see an ob/gyn in the first trimester and the 8th month.  Nice loss of control of your medical decisions, huh!

I'd ask about emergency transfer procedures.  In addition, question about her own methods of dealing with excessive bleeding or newborn abnormalities. 

Pain management, but duh that's a given. 

#6 of 9 Old 04-03-2011, 12:01 AM

I asked a lot of questions. I carried a notebook around writing things down to ask the midwives. These are some things you might want to ask about.

fees/insurance

lab work, tests, sonograms, doppler, etc

the midwives' experience (how many births attended? transfer rates? maternal/infant mortality rates?)

water birth, lotus birth, placental encapsulation

other moms due around my due date?

how clean/big does my house need to be

pets or children at the birth or home visits

preventing tearing

belly casting, rebozo work, other ceremonial work

emergency procedures

birth kit, tub rental, birth stool, other supplies

recommended reading

tips for morning sickness

I also asked a lot of just nosy personal questions, to try to see if this would be someone I could be comfortable and secure with. I asked about the midwives' own children's births, where they went to school and worked, why they became midwives. I also asked a bunch of questions about how they would act/react in response to my own wishes, like, "If I yelled at you rudely, would you be OK with that, or would you be offended?" and, "If we make this plan for massage and then I don't want you touching me, will that bother you?"

They seemed to appreciate my frank honesty and we actually hit it off great. 

#7 of 9 Old 04-03-2011, 05:38 AM

Tons of great questions here:  www.cincinnatihomebirth.blogspot.com

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#8 of 9 Old 04-09-2011, 07:25 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Great compilation of questions, but the biggest one for me is about how involved she needs to be with the actual birth.  I like to be left alone mostly (with dh) and I don't want someone checking FHT's every 15-30 minutes.  I also don't want someone standing over me or under me or coaching me while I'm pushing/crowning.  Dh wants to catch the baby and we want alone time right after the birth as well.  Many CNM's and some (usually less experienced) CPM's will not be okay with these requests.  Even though it may be hard to predict how you want your birth to go so early on, it's even harder to switch midwives in your third tri b/c you just realized your ideas for birth do not match up.   Not that you can't, but it's obviously not desirable and causes a lot of stress (I did this with my second at 37 weeks). 

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#9 of 9 Old 04-19-2011, 11:33 AM

I found this article about spotting a good/bad midwife helpful, and modeled some of my questions on it. I have another round of midwife interviewing to do after I move in May, so I will definitely incorporate ideas from this thread--thanks people!

http://www.themidwifenextdoor.com/?p=1362

First baby due Oct/Nov 2011. Slowly finding my way...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page