What are you eating? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-29-2011, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any interest in this type of thread?  Personally, I'd like to know what you all are eating to get through the first trimester.  At the same time, some discussions of food make me pretty nauseated.  At this point, my curiosity and need of good ideas outweighs my aversion.

My food aversions are not too bad yet at 5 weeks, but I am getting pretty severe nausea every time I try to eat a real "meal."  This sucks, because I've been really hungry for the past week.  Here's what I've eaten the last 2 days:

Yesterday:

Breakfast - 2 grapefruits and 3 oranges (grapefruits scooped out, oranges roughly chopped and mixed in).  This is my staple breakfast.

A couple hours later- a bowl of peanut butter panda puffs and soy milk, then a big mug of almond milk with blackstrap molasses in it.

Late Lunch - quinoa, tempeh with garlic and kale.  (This made me pretty sick afterward)

About 4 pm - a green smoothie:  stinging nettles blended with apples and lemon juice.

Dinner- we went to Taco del Mar.  I had a burrito:  spinach tortilla, black beans, rice, guacamole, cabbage, pico de gallo.

Usually I have an evening snack, but I was too exhausted and nauseated last night so I didn't have one.

Today:

Breakfast - 2 grapefruits (I had a phone meeting and didn't have time to peel my oranges)

Mid-morning snack - a rice cake with peanut butter and apricot jam, a big mug of almond milk with blackstrap molasses.

Lunch - left-over quinoa with black beans, romaine lettuce, avocado, and TJ's veggie flax chips (I got about 2/3 of the way through this when I felt like I was going to hurl, so I didn't finish it.)

Snack - Trader Joe's cherry chocolate chip soy ice cream with a banana sliced over it.

Dinner - the rest of the romaine lettuce with the 3 oranges I missed this morning sliced over it.  (I don't feel up to more than this)

I've been trying to eat as well as I can (and exercise!) while I can, as I know the first-trimester joys will be hitting full force any day now. :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

yesterday.. all I can remember is the chicken ravioli with alfredo sauce, spinach, and mushrooms, which kept reminding me of its presence for the next 6+ hours while it festered in my stomach, refusing to digest, and made me absolutely miserable. I'm sure there was a green smoothie in there that day somewhere.

today: green smoothie, spinach and random fruit. i was at a focus group from 11-1 and they served sub sandwiches that are like, 2-3 inches wide each. I had 2 of those an hour apart. And an m&m cookie, because even though sweets are unappealing, I can't resist. After it was over, I got a bowl of vegetable soup that was being sold from a little soup stand in the bottom floor of the building. dinner was 2 scrambled eggs. not enough, but I was traumatized by yesterday's ordeal :/ now i'm sipping on another "purple" smoothie (though there's spinach in there, the berries are dominating the color) but have only been able to get a bit down! 

I was wondering about nettles in green smoothies! Hows the taste? I find that if I put more than like.. 1 leaf of kale in a pretty big smoothie, its too strong for me so I usually just stick to spinach. How's it compare? Does blending it take the "sting" out? since I'm assuming its raw. 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
Old 03-30-2011, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post

I was wondering about nettles in green smoothies! Hows the taste? I find that if I put more than like.. 1 leaf of kale in a pretty big smoothie, its too strong for me so I usually just stick to spinach. How's it compare? Does blending it take the "sting" out? since I'm assuming its raw. 

You can definitely taste the nettles, but they are much less overpowering than kale, less "green" tasting.  Blending them does take the sting out.  I like nettles with bananas and strawberries.

I love kale in my smoothies, but if I put kale in, I have to have lemon or mint.  Lemon does the best job of mellowing the taste of the kale.  My favorite green smoothie is actually half a blender full of kale, 4 large apples, and the juice of half a lemon.  Kale, pears, and mint is good too, but the taste of the kale isn't masked as well.

I've heard that a little bit of vanilla works the same as lemon to mellow the green taste, but I think I would only use vanilla in certain smoothies, like maybe with bananas and dates or something.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Yesterday I ate..

Breakfast:

wholewheat bagel and creamcheese

banana

orange

greek yogurt

Snack:

fruit leather

orange

calamari salad

Lunch:

green salad with nuts and bacon

chicken and kale soup

Snack:

small icecream sandwich

string cheese

Dinner:

Chicken meatballs

broccoli

mashed potatoes

So far today I've had my staple breakfast of bagel, yogurt and fruit.  I am breastfeeding too, so I need a million calories and I always feel like I'm starving to death.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:07 AM

To celebrate the BFPs last friday, I went out and bought a free range leg of lamb (LOVE lamb) and roasted it, so I've been eating alot of leftover based dishes. 

Generally so far:

Breakfast is Bob's red mill Scottish oatmeal with a little lump of butter or coconut oil and a bunch of wild blueberries stirred in (trust me, its yummy). Also a bit of plain yogurt with nutritional yeast (I find this scrumptious but its a loveit or leaveit taste...Nutriyional yeast is loaded with lovely B vitamins amongst others)

Morning snack is a piece of fruit (pear, banana, or orange) and a vico coconut water (great source of potassium - more than a banana!, also magnesium, calcium and phosphorus)

Lunch is chef salad with romaine and baby spinach leaves and some or all of : mushrooms, peppers, cherry tomato, diced cheddar, sliced egg, diced lamb.  Sprinkled with EVOO and bragg apple cider vinaegar.  Otherwise a sandwich (egg-and-cress, salmon salad, or lamb-lettuce) on buttered sprouted wheat bread with carrot sticks or cherry tomatoes.  Think I'll throw together a lamb-kale-barley soup tonight to bring with a plain salad or sandwich tommorrow

Dinner tonight is a small pastured steak, broccoli, and barley pilaf.

Rachel: what is your general recipes for green and purple smoothies?

Em married to BF and DH 3 years. Lives in cranky but still lovely 80yo house on over an acre treehugger.gif.   EDD for #1 11/25!  
***4babyf.gif**8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***40 

Old 03-30-2011, 11:50 AM

Wow you guys are eating very well rounded! I am just trying to get by with whatever doesn't gross me out.

Yesterday, I had:

B: oatmeal with blueberries and 1 cup of coffee 

S: cheese and crackers

L: Subway turkey sandwich with chips (yes, because it sounded so freaking good for some reason!)

S: banana with peanut butter

D: spaghetti w/meatballs and a green salad

S: lollipop

I usually eat tons of veggies but they are really grossing me out right now. And I feel really hungry very suddenly and just need to grab something!

Old 03-30-2011, 12:39 PM

I'm also in the "whatever doesn't gross me out" camp right now. Which is, unfortunately, a lot of processed CRAP right now. Except for eggs. I'm trying to limit them because a cold snap means the chickens aren't laying as much and I donated 4dz to a charity auction, so I have to save all of them for the winner. But before the hens slowed their laying again, I was eating at least two fried eggs a day. And with runny yolks since I know my birds are healthy. Have to have runny yolks!

Kale chips with sea salt.

And french fries. :x

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
Old 03-30-2011, 03:29 PM

I LOVED coconut water pretty much until i got pregnant?! Amy & Brian is my favorite brand. Now its just "meh"

A typical green smoothie for me is a couple big handfuls of spinach, a slice of pinapple, core and all, with the peel removed.. about an inch thick. an orange, banana, grapes, and a small wedge of lemon. dh bought a bag of frozen smoothies so lately those have been making my smoothie not such a pretty green color :P but if you do spinach, pineapple, orange, banana, green grapes, and lemon..its a brilliant bright green! :D I call it a monster smoothie to the kids. For the most part, I make due with whatever fruit we have in the house and throw that in there with some spinach. I am curious about trying the kale-apple-lemon though.. hmm..

Oooh... a couple weeks ago i made (in my juicer, not my blender) an apple-kale-ginger concoction! It was super yummy, but oddly, upset my tummy after. I was like, seriously? I just drank ginger juice and my stomach disagrees? So I haven't made it again. 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
Old 03-30-2011, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)

I am just surviving, probably doing poorly at it.  It's embarassing.  2 cans of coke per day.  Variations on carb-topped-with-butter (rice and butter, bagel and cream cheese, pizza with cheese).  Cereal with milk.  Some fruits.  Edamame with salt.  Sandwich:soft whole wheat bread, american cheese, lettuce tomato.  Ravioli with sauce.  OJ.  That's it.  Plus, a full diet of vit B6 and Unisom.  I long ago burned out all ginger-containing products.  Looking forward to the end of morning-plus-all-day-sickness coinciding with the farmer's market starting up again.  Plus I am going to try to stop wallowing and start being open to suggestion, but going to the co-op is more nauseating than inspiring.  I have never eaten this poorly before, although it's interesting to realize this is how a lot of people always eat.  

Old 03-30-2011, 04:48 PM

This is a great thread!  You all eat very healthfully!  I am still eating whatever sounds good because I am nauseous about 90% of the time.  I really enjoyed a crunchy green apple with some natural peanut butter a little while ago.  Right now what sounds good to me is fruit, fruit and more fruit.  Especially apples, oranges, grapefruits and blueberries.

That oatmeal + wild blueberries sounds fantastic.  I think I know what my breakfast will be tomorrow.

Mama to a little bouncy girl (11/08) and someone new coming 11/11!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:22 PM

Ahh, I needed this thread. I don't think I've been eating enough, which is funny, because I've been strugging with binge eating disorder for more than a year now, and have been in and out of "diet mode" for a looong time. BUT- this pregnancy is rife with nausea, and so half the time I'm not eating- or, perhaps worse, drinking enough. Today was by far the worst, I had a grapefruit for lunch, chicken breast + amy's 'no cheese' pizza for dinner, and nothing else. Just finishing up some water now. No good, my tummy (and uterus) are hurting.

Problem is, nothing in my fridge or pantry entices me- my fridge in particular makes me sick. I've been surviving on going out to eat, but it's getting expensive and I've run out of things that appeal to me. Mostly all I want to eat are fresh green apples, grapefruits... that's pretty much it.

But, now that I think about it, coconut water sounds really good ... as do raw cashews, raw revolution bars, and ... well, I'm sure I'll think of something  :/

forever following the lead of a colorful active little monkey
Old 03-30-2011, 06:32 PM

hey... Where do you get nettles anyway? I think I know a place to scavenge for wild nettles (aka, a place I would get stung playing as a kid if I wasn't careful) but to buy, i'm clueless.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

hey... Where do you get nettles anyway? I think I know a place to scavenge for wild nettles (aka, a place I would get stung playing as a kid if I wasn't careful) but to buy, i'm clueless.

I get bags of them at my local co-op if I can't get to the farmer's market, where I usually get them.  I think you would most likely find them at a health food store or a farmer's market.  They're only available here (Portland) in March and April.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:35 PM

I'll be in Portland this weekend :)

Old 03-30-2011, 08:09 PM

Well, I've been battling three things in regards to food.  1. Nausea - especially in the evenings   2. My tongue tastes awful and makes foods taste awful. crap.gif  In fact I think it may be mild thrush because it's better for a day after I paint it with Gentian Violet, but then it's back to awful - though only a little white on the back of my tongue.  So not sure if that's the culprit.  3.  I can't handle sugars first thing in the morning, not even fruit.  So...

B - typically Eggs/Cheese on toast with sliced avocado, tomato, and some spinach leaves

if I'm feeling healthier then scrambled tofu with the same, but tofu has been less and less appealing

S - Apple or Celery with Almond Butter

L - Salads!  Went to a salad bar today and loved it!  I crave alfafa sprouts, beets, chickpeas, and peas, and never seem to have any of these in the house.  Love to top salads with Braggs amino acids, balsamic vinegar, and EVOO.

S - cuties or oranges, or pasta salad, or plain lentils, or whatever is readily available to eat.

D - not much.  It all sounds terrible as I'm writing this post.  Some nights I'll pick at stuff, other nights "breakfast foods" sound good like, oatmeal, steel cut oats, corn grits.

I can't wait until this trimester is done!  It will also coincide with planting veggies and farmer's markets as others have mentioned, so I'm happy about all that!

Me (30) and DH (30), DS (7/1/08), DD (12/1/11) and finally expecting a new little one end of Jan/early Feb 2015!  
Old 03-30-2011, 08:18 PM

I'm terrible. I'm majoring in nutrition and I am just not eating. 

I had about 1/2 a cup of greek yogurt for breakfast, with a cup of tea, and supper was homemade soup and a grilled cheese, which DD ended up eating most of.

Yesterday I skipped eating all day and had breakfast for dinner (waffles, tofurky sausages, and hashbrowns)

Tomorrow I promise to be better. I'll pack a good lunch for school.

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

Old 03-30-2011, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'll be in Portland this weekend :)

Cool!  I get nettles at People's Food Co-op at SE 21st and Tibbetts (just north of Powell).  But if you're going to be in town on the weekend you should go to the PSU farmer's market.  I'm sure they'd have them there.  I haven't been in forever because DS can't handle it (he has autism and being in big crowds of people makes his system go haywire).

Old 03-30-2011, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Today:

8 AM - 3 oranges (I'm out of grapefruits.  Boo.) and pregnancy tea.

10:30 AM - I made DH go to the co-op for bread (which we NEVER have in the house because DS is gluten-free) and tofu.  I was really nauseated and ravenous at the same time and this was the only thing I could fathom stomaching.  So I had tofu scrambled with nutritional yeast and broccoli on toast.  I spent my 2-hour Webex meeting right afterward trying really hard not to throw up.  I succeeded!

3:30 PM - Some chips and guacamole my neighbor brought over (her 9-year-old daughter and friend wanted to play our Wii)

5 PM - Brown rice penne (TJ's brand) with broccoli, kidney beans, garlic, and nutritional yeast.  Didn't get much of it down before I started feeling sick though.  More pregnancy tea.

DInner made me feel really yucky, but now I'm feeling better so I'm going to have some TJ's cherry chocolate chip soy ice cream and watch some Netflix before bed. :)

Old 03-31-2011, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the smoothie recipes, I'll definitely try out.  My green smoothie always turns out looking like pond muck, not an appetizing green at all.  I also like kiwi in smoothies.  Does anyone know of any fruit we're not supposed to eat?

i finally have a touch of ms this morning.  ug.  also is anyone else having a rough time without coffee?  i broke down and am having a half cup.

the farmers mkt hasn't officially opened yet, but I went down to the winter "renegade market".   they had lovely collards and i bought 2 cartons of pastured eggs.

Em married to BF and DH 3 years. Lives in cranky but still lovely 80yo house on over an acre treehugger.gif.   EDD for #1 11/25!  
***4babyf.gif**8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***40 

Old 03-31-2011, 01:00 PM

I'm vegan and so inspired by your meals Viriditas!  Also, which pregnancy tea are you using? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viriditas View Post

Today:

8 AM - 3 oranges (I'm out of grapefruits.  Boo.) and pregnancy tea.

10:30 AM - I made DH go to the co-op for bread (which we NEVER have in the house because DS is gluten-free) and tofu.  I was really nauseated and ravenous at the same time and this was the only thing I could fathom stomaching.  So I had tofu scrambled with nutritional yeast and broccoli on toast.  I spent my 2-hour Webex meeting right afterward trying really hard not to throw up.  I succeeded!

3:30 PM - Some chips and guacamole my neighbor brought over (her 9-year-old daughter and friend wanted to play our Wii)

5 PM - Brown rice penne (TJ's brand) with broccoli, kidney beans, garlic, and nutritional yeast.  Didn't get much of it down before I started feeling sick though.  More pregnancy tea.

DInner made me feel really yucky, but now I'm feeling better so I'm going to have some TJ's cherry chocolate chip soy ice cream and watch some Netflix before bed. :)

I've been grazing, and trying to get about a cup of beans and/or nuts, which is my biggest challenge.

Breakfast is oatmeal with almond butter and almond milk and a few chocolate chips

Lunch is generally veggie burgers, avocado and fruit (I can't stop eating mangos!). Today partner made me veggie dumplings :)  

Then I eat fruit all day 

Dinner is more fruit and cereal.  

My acupuncturist has me staying away from soy, so tofu scrambles are out sadly, and even the thought of a whole meal makes me feel a bit gross.  

Rachel (39) married to DH (47), expecting our first in November 2011 after 2+ years of trying!  Living happily with 2cat.gifs and a dog2.gif!
***4****8***1sttri.gif***16***20***24***28***32***36***4

Old 03-31-2011, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelette View Post

I'm vegan and so inspired by your meals Viriditas!  Also, which pregnancy tea are you using? 

I'm glad I'm inspiring you!! :)  I want to eat really nutrient-dense things when I can eat, so I'm trying to have things like quinoa, tempeh, kidney beans, and greens really often.  

I have 3 kinds of tea that I'm rotating:

-yogi mother-to-be tea, which smells and tastes just like sleepytime tea.  It's heavy on the peppermint.  It says it has raspberry and nettle leaves and a few other things, but all I can taste is mint, so I doubt there are enough "medicinal" herbs to really make a difference.

-traditional medicinals pregnancy tea - this is really fennel-y, like their nursing tea.  It also lists raspberry leaves, nettle, rose hips, and some other things.  It tastes more "herbal" in a theraputic way, but I'm not a huge fan of fennel, so I probably won't drink this as much.

-A loose tea that I got from a bulk jar at the co-op.  It had a clever pregnancy-related name which I can't remember.  I also can't remember what all is in it, but it definitely tastes like the raspberry leaf/nettle infusions I used to drink but a bit better, so this one is probably the most beneficial.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Today:

9 AM to 11 AM - A huge nettle, banana, strawberry smoothie.  It turned out a kind of gross khaki color, but it tasted good.  Also some pregnancy tea during this time.

12 PM - Scrambled tofu and kale on toast

3-5 - snacked on a number of things, including the left-over scrambled tofu and kale, cashews and chocolate chips, an orange, a few TJ's veggie pot stickers, and a bowl of half-eaten strawberries (DS loves strawberries but he'll only take 2 bites of each one and then insists on moving to the next one).

6 PM - I made gluten-free chocolate chip cookies.  Yummy!  Ate 3 of them, I think.

I'm finding that I start getting really nauseated when I try to eat overt fats, like nuts or avocado.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

In case anyone's still interested in keeping this thread going...

I totally failed at eating today.  We had an observation of a prospective kindergarten classroom for DS this morning (which cemented my decision to homeschool) and we left the house in a rush.

As we were driving at about 10:30, I realized I hadn't eaten anything yet.  I'd just had a cup of pregnancy tea (the nice-tasting, not as good for me kind).

So I had a sesame bagel with tofutti cream cheese and a hot chocolate at about 11.

After our appointment DH and DS wanted to go to Taco Del Mar.  I was feeling really sick.  I ate about 2 bites of my burrito and couldn't stomach any more.  Then went to another meeting.

I was able to get down about half of the burrito from earlier and a Reed's ginger brew at about 5.

Now it's 10.  I just ate a banana and 2 oranges and I am having some more pregnancy tea (the most nutritious kind) to try to make up for the rest of the day.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:41 AM

Started today off with a green smoothie!  Now lets see how the rest of the day goes..... 

Rachel (39) married to DH (47), expecting our first in November 2011 after 2+ years of trying!  Living happily with 2cat.gifs and a dog2.gif!
***4****8***1sttri.gif***16***20***24***28***32***36***4

Old 04-03-2011, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Yesterday:

Breakfast:  2 grapefruits and 3 oranges

Mid-morning snack:  DS's left-over oatmeal with almond milk and blackstrap molasses

Lunch:  Quinoa, tempeh, broccoli

Dinner:  Green smoothie- kale, apple, lemon

Old 04-03-2011, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

so far today

Breakfast~ rice crispy cereal.

Lunch~ Two ham/turkey sandwiches and saltines since I'm battling nausea all day yuck.

Dinner~ either homemade shells and cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches or just grilled cheese sandwiches.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
Old 04-03-2011, 06:55 PM

I think I'm going to win the award for worst eater. Here is the list of what I can eat:

cinnamon toast crunch

mac and cheese

plain bread

cheese sandwiches

baked cheetos

string cheese

tomato soup (sometimes)

mashed potatoes

ginger ale

Pretty much anything off-white! Every meal and snack comes from this list. At least I am able to eat those things, though. Much better than a week ago. :)

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

Old 04-04-2011, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Raw almonds. Alot of almonds. Drinking lemon water and eating mostly fruits and veggies. Anytime I eat something normal I get really sick. :( I do like Raisin Bran Crunch for breakfast right now though, or blueberry granola.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:56 PM

Today my MS has been AWFUL! I've been mostly just forcing myself to eat whatever sounds good so I get something in. All I've had today has been lemon water and a handful of wheat crackers with cream cheese and honey. :( I'm hoping my husband will bring me a smoothie on his way home today.

~Sarah

treehugger.gif  trekkie.gifcat.gifcarrot.gif
Mom to Vala ribboncesarean.gif 5/09, Anya hbac.gif 11/11, & one on the way 12/13

Check out my blog- http://healingcesareanscars.blogspot.com/

Old 04-04-2011, 03:17 PM

I'm very thankful that the nausea came quick and fast. I was super blah for the first few weeks now I'm just dealing with nothing sounding super good.

Usually I start each day with a berry, coconut milk, cow milk smoothie. This is the only time I can stomach milk.

Lunch is a mixed bag. I've found I lovvvvve couscous with a nice small salad so I'm gonna stick with that.

Dinners range from nothing to craving random foods

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

User Tag List