In so much pain. Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-01-2011, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have no idea what happened or what I did.  I went to bed last night just fine.  I work up this morning practically paralyzed with back pain.  I get excrutiating stabbing pain in my lower right back every time I take a step, shift in my chair, or take a deep breath.  Tylenol ain't gonna cut it.  I'm trying my best to make it through the work day because I've been sick with some sort of awful cold and have already taken days off this week.  And what's more, I have a fundraiser to go to tonight.  Normally I'd just skip it without giving it a second thought, but my mothers in law bought these for us, and they don't have a ton of money and these tickets were EXPENSIVE.  I've taken Tylenol and have been trying to ice it, but it keeps getting worse as the day goes along.  Anyone have any advice?  Or am I just screwed?

#2 of 11 Old 04-01-2011, 09:54 AM

No advice, but I am sorry!  Back pain can be so debilitating.  I hope you find some serious relief soon.

Rachel, married to Andy, mama to Aubrey, Lauren, Sasha, and *surprise* Baby #4, due November, 2011
#3 of 11 Old 04-01-2011, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

chiropractor!! One who specializes in pregnancy. I had pain like that last time and going to the chiro regularly helped SOOOO much

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#4 of 11 Old 04-01-2011, 11:15 AM

I second the chiropractor! I had the same pain in my first two pregnancies (in my case it was SI misalignment) and the chiropractor worked miracles!

#5 of 11 Old 04-01-2011, 02:27 PM

Chiro and heating pack!

~Sarah

treehugger.gif  trekkie.gifcat.gifcarrot.gif
Mom to Vala ribboncesarean.gif 5/09, Anya hbac.gif 11/11, & one on the way 12/13

Check out my blog- http://healingcesareanscars.blogspot.com/

#6 of 11 Old 04-01-2011, 03:05 PM

Definitely go to the chiropractor!!  They work wonders with back pain.

novaxnocirc.gif mama to my 2 yo wild man and my beautiful 11 yo DD.  Married to the best DH ever since October 2010!!! angel.gif 5/2011

#7 of 11 Old 04-01-2011, 03:37 PM

From your discription, it sounds like a functional ovarian cyst.  (The corpus lutium producing the progesterone to support your pregnancy until the placenta is fully functioning.)  Your baby was likely concieved in an egg released from the ovary on that side.  Heat & rest will help.  If the pain remains severe or you are worried take a trip to the E R.

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

#8 of 11 Old 04-01-2011, 04:21 PM

Oh, I'm sorry.  I had a similar situation with my neck.  I woke up one morning and shrieked with pain.  I have to agree with everyone else here.  Definitely, try a chiropractor.  I went to one to help turn my baby when I was pregnant too.  They seem to have magic hands!  Good luck!

#9 of 11 Old 04-02-2011, 05:21 AM

You are suppose to ice a pulled muscle.  It relieves inflammation.  Heat will cause increased blood flow and make inflammation worse.  I would find a chiro, if not, take Ibuprofen (fine up to 16 weeks), and ice for 10 minutes every hour.  I'm sorry!!!!  Back pain suck!!!  There are apparently narcotics you can take if the pain is unbearable - call your family Dr, your OB, or Midwife.  hug2.gif

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#10 of 11 Old 04-04-2011, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

I just got back from the chiropractor.  What a miracle!  I can sit and stand without yelping!  My coworkers think I'm nuts and have been trying to force feed me various pain meds.  They know I'm not naturally a very holistic or medication averse person, so a few eyebrows have been raised.  But . . . I'm not totally pain free but am no longer in excrutiating pain.  Yayayayay for chiropractors.  And thanks guys, I don't think I would have called the chiropractor without your suggestions.  Knowing me, I would have just suffered in (not total) silence.

jasmin85 likes this.
#11 of 11 Old 04-07-2011, 07:32 AM

Yay!!  I'm so glad your are feeling better and the chiropractor helped.  I would definitely stick with the treatment until the pain is completely resolved.  We chiropractors sometimes aren't the first thing people think of when it comes to back pain, for some reason, but we definitely get some good results in most cases. Glad you're feeling better!!

novaxnocirc.gif mama to my 2 yo wild man and my beautiful 11 yo DD.  Married to the best DH ever since October 2010!!! angel.gif 5/2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page